Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

dovetaile posted:

So lately one of my rats has been taking change off my desk. Is there a way I can get this to benefit me?

You could clicker train him to move coins to a jar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

I let my boys free range in the bathroom because it's secure and rat proof. This week the little shits have worked out how to jump from the shower to the bath and then the bathroom windowsill where I keep their yoghurt drops.

I've had to booby trap the side of the bath with empty bottles so I can grab them before they knock all my plants off the windowsill and pig out on treats, they think it's a game now which is both annoying and cute. :3:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

dovetaile posted:

So lately one of my rats has been taking change off my desk. Is there a way I can get this to benefit me?

Teach your rat to pick pockets.

RubySprinkles
Jul 8, 2008
So this happened on Saturday:

Meet Gwen (blonde) and Gemma (dark brown)! (In a terribly too small 20 gallon tank.)

A friend of ours was looking for pet rats and had found a few on Craigslist she wanted to go check out and my daughter and I decided to go along for the ride. She found and took in two terribly mistreated Siamese males - the woman she got them from brought them out in a tiny box, maybe 6"x6"x4", with a Ziplock bag of caramel/plain popcorn mix and cat food claiming that's what they ate and that should be enough for a few days. I was very upset, but we took the two guys who got cozy in a much larger box with a nice cozy towel in it, and left to go look at two more we thought to be males as well. These turned out to be Gwen and Gemma. The family that owned them was very nice, and other than a few minor things (cage too small, lack of grains in diet, lack of toys), Gwen and Gemma were well taken care of. My daughter and I instantly fell in love with them and home with us they came!

Here they are riding around at PetCo to pick up a few essentials we were missing. I now am being overly picky about a cage. I have found a couple that I like and am making my final decision. I will have one by the end of the week. I found a place that builds custom cages that I am waiting to hear from and I am hoping that I can pick up one of their pre-configured designs from them this weekend. As for now, the girls are out most of the day and just go in their tank to eat and sleep or when I have to run out. They were being fed fruits and vegetables including leafy greens, so I have started them on Superconsndar's diet recommended in the OP. They are being a bit picky at the moment. I'm not sure how varied their previous diet was.

A couple other pictures I took this weekend:

They like when the couch is slid close to our patio doors so they can peak through the vertical blinds!

Look at that face! :3: (And that ugly green sofa.)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

My ratty boy has been way warmer than usual, past couple of days. It's not really hot inside but at the same time he doesn't seem to be sick. He's eating, drinking, playing normally. I spray some cold water on him every now and then. He doesn't seem to mind and it cools him down a bit.
I don't have a pet thermometer so I can't really check his exact temperature.

Should I be worried?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Jack Trades posted:

My ratty boy has been way warmer than usual, past couple of days. It's not really hot inside but at the same time he doesn't seem to be sick. He's eating, drinking, playing normally. I spray some cold water on him every now and then. He doesn't seem to mind and it cools him down a bit.

Should I be worried?

My rats are the exact opposite. They feel cold. It's starting to scare me, but they act like nothing's wrong.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Jack Trades posted:

Regular fever thermometers work fine, you just have to use a lot of lube.

...well, that came out sounding kind of wrong. It's how my vet does it, though.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

JGBeagle posted:

My rats are the exact opposite. They feel cold. It's starting to scare me, but they act like nothing's wrong.

Mine are always nice and warm with cold little feet.

Cardiovorax posted:

Regular fever thermometers work fine, you just have to use a lot of lube.

...well, that came out sounding kind of wrong. It's how my vet does it, though.

Jesus, I can't even imagine the piteous squeaking that would ensue if I tried that with my guys, giving them a bath is hard enough.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

Jesus, I can't even imagine the piteous squeaking that would ensue if I tried that with my guys, giving them a bath is hard enough.
They don't really seem to mind, funnily enough. I suppose it helps that they're already scared halfway to death just from being at the vet's, though.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Joker lost a noticeable amount of weight while I was out of town. I'm really hoping it was just that he didn't eat as much because of stress, because he seems totally fine - eating well, moving around fine, all the usual. No lumps or weirdness, no funny breathing. Just suddenly kind of skinny, where before he had a little bit of pudge.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
One of my rats managed to open iTunes on my macbook. They're learning. Send help.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
One of my girls died this week (Folly). We picked up the little one on the left the same night. For any Toronto-goons, the breeder is Atlantis Rattery, located in Hamilton.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Ratigan keeps peeing huge yellow puddles. Usually on the upper platform so I can see it. Is this bad? I know rats don't really have bladder control but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

EDIT: Here's a pic of him eating some Rice Chex on my couch. I usually put some cloth down so they don't pee on my couch.

EDIT 2: Maybe this time I'll actually paste the picture in. :downs:

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 19, 2014

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Moomin died as well this week. Pretty crushing. Here is the girl I'll be picking up Friday or Saturday.

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

JGBeagle posted:

Ratigan keeps peeing huge yellow puddles. Usually on the upper platform so I can see it. Is this bad? I know rats don't really have bladder control but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Rats pee. It's a thing they do.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
I'm sorry for your losses guys :(
Your new babies are super-cute.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Patchouli Patrol posted:

Rats pee. It's a thing they do.

I managed to fall asleep while playing with my ratties in my bed. Needless to say, when I woke up there was rat poop and big yellow spots all over the sheets...or rather the parts that weren't completely chewed through. :rats:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Took some pictures of my fat little boy.

Also, comedy picture: http://i.imgur.com/Cu9epaV.jpg "Bring me solo and the wookie."

From certain angles, rat eyes look creepy and the first time I saw my rattie boggling his eyes while bruxing I instantly scrambled off to Google to make sure it's normal.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 21, 2014

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

^Oh so pretty!

Our little Rex has a chest infection, It was a real struggle trying to get her to have the drops last night, and then later she had some sort of reaction. She seemed to be trying to be sick and was really stiff, it was really upsetting :(

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

Greyish Orange posted:

^Oh so pretty!

Our little Rex has a chest infection, It was a real struggle trying to get her to have the drops last night, and then later she had some sort of reaction. She seemed to be trying to be sick and was really stiff, it was really upsetting :(

Rats can't vomit, however what you describe sounds like choking which isn't usually serious. Rats usually resolve it by themselves,. Are you sure it was a reaction or did she coincidentally choke on some food?

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

Big Bug Hug posted:

Rats can't vomit, however what you describe sounds like choking which isn't usually serious. Rats usually resolve it by themselves,. Are you sure it was a reaction or did she coincidentally choke on some food?

You're probably right, she was possibly just so happy to have her appetite back that she wolfed her food down too quick! I panic at the slightest thing with them all, I don't know how parents of actual children cope.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club
Funny how, like us humans, rats have those "I just want to sleep in bed all day" days. Yesterday my little girl had no desire to come out at all. I let her out everyday for at least 2 hours and even then she is ALWAYS begging to come out and play.

Everything is fine. She back to her usually self today. I just found it cute and interesting that even house rats just want those lazy days.

RubySprinkles
Jul 8, 2008
Okay, one of my females, Gemma, was determined to be pregnant a week and a half ago. Conception happened right around when I got her and her cage-mate, Gwen. I am not sure if she was already pregnant when I got her or if somehow she was with one of my friend's males that were staying with us around that time.

Anyway, it appears Gemma had her babies yesterday, but I have yet to see the pups. I believe she had them in her favorite hammock because that is where she built a nest. It's the Critter Nation hammock so I can't see in too well and I really don't want to disturb the nest. What concerns me is that Gemma does not seem to care much about the nest. She sleeps in alternate places where I know the babies are not. Should I be concerned that she has rejected them?

tl; dr: Rat had babies, how can I tell if she is rejecting the litter?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I bought a bag of paper Easter grass today. I'm sure the boys will make an enormous mess of it, but they'll have fun, so I don't mind vacuuming it up. I'll tuck it in the cage later this evening when they wake up.

Chakattack!
May 23, 2004
95% Cheesecake
Hey rat goons, can you tell me about your experiences with PEW's/red eyed rats? I've never owned any before and just adopted a PEW and I think her bad eyesight is making her a lot more skittish than she should be by now - her (black eyed) sister is much more friendly and relaxed with me but Binky (PEW) still panics when I try and pick her up and seems super uncomfortable being handled.

Please tell me you've had a friendly rat with red eyes!

I know it's possible she's just not a people rat. One of my first girls, Evie, never really warmed up to humans and used to squeak sometimes when being picked up but it was obviously irritation and not fear, whereas I can tell Binky is really terrified sometimes and it sucks.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I've got two pinkies that are really friendly and love attention. It took me a lot of time and careful effort to get them that way, though, so you just need to have some patience. Some rats are just naturally nervous.

Speaking of which, I've been having my new guy for about a month new and I just can't manage to get the older one used to him. It's absolutely weird. When I set them down in their little playpen they'll do perfectly fine with each other, snuggle up and run around and everything, but the moment I try to put them together in any cage at all they start fighting.

I really don't know what the problem is and I don't have anything left I could try, short of bleaching the whole cage and throwing out all the toys and accessories. Does anybody have an idea what I could do?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Chakattack! posted:

Hey rat goons, can you tell me about your experiences with PEW's/red eyed rats? I've never owned any before and just adopted a PEW and I think her bad eyesight is making her a lot more skittish than she should be by now - her (black eyed) sister is much more friendly and relaxed with me but Binky (PEW) still panics when I try and pick her up and seems super uncomfortable being handled.

I know it's possible she's just not a people rat. One of my first girls, Evie, never really warmed up to humans and used to squeak sometimes when being picked up but it was obviously irritation and not fear, whereas I can tell Binky is really terrified sometimes and it sucks.
I had the exact same experience with Kriek. She eventually became really sweet and a lot calmer, but never really got used to being handled, and never really wanted to come out of the cage much. In her last few months, she ended up pretty happy to get picked up and run around on me, but she was always so skittish I never really wanted to let her roam much. It felt like her poor eyesight did really effect her, but maybe I'm reading into it too much. Then she died of a brain tumour so I guess you maybe shouldn't read much into her behaviour.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Chakattack! posted:

All of my most skittish rats have had black eyes, and all of my pink/red/ruby eyed rats have been pretty nice.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

Cardiovorax posted:

Speaking of which, I've been having my new guy for about a month new and I just can't manage to get the older one used to him. It's absolutely weird. When I set them down in their little playpen they'll do perfectly fine with each other, snuggle up and run around and everything, but the moment I try to put them together in any cage at all they start fighting.

I really don't know what the problem is and I don't have anything left I could try, short of bleaching the whole cage and throwing out all the toys and accessories. Does anybody have an idea what I could do?

I wish I knew! I have a boy who hates my old man rat. He's fine with my other boy, but he has some kind of grudge against the old rat. I even got him neutered, and he's settled down a lot (this qas like 4 months ago). No matter how much time I wait between trying to introduce them, he still HATES him.

For me though its in the cage, out of the cage, whatever. His fur stands on end at the merest glimpse of him. Poor boy lives in a separate cage, and his buddy he does get along with visits him for half the day and goes back to keep old boy warm at night. Weird irrational rat grudge.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Big Bug Hug posted:

I wish I knew! I have a boy who hates my old man rat. He's fine with my other boy, but he has some kind of grudge against the old rat. I even got him neutered, and he's settled down a lot (this qas like 4 months ago). No matter how much time I wait between trying to introduce them, he still HATES him.

For me though its in the cage, out of the cage, whatever. Poor boy lives in a separate cage, and his buddy he does get along with visits him for half the day and goes back to keep old boy warm at night. Weird irrational rat grudge.
That's what I don't understand about it. When they're not in the cage they do just fine. I've had then out playing together for hours without even the slightest problem. It's just when I put them together for the night that they start having problems. I've kept them in separate cages next to each other, made them switch cages to get them used to each other's smell, rearranged the cages... I don't really know what's left to try.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

Cardiovorax posted:

That's what I don't understand about it. When they're not in the cage they do just fine. I've had then out playing together for hours without even the slightest problem. It's just when I put them together for the night that they start having problems. I've kept them in separate cages next to each other, made them switch cages to get them used to each other's smell, rearranged the cages... I don't really know what's left to try.

Yours really sounds like a territory issue, like they're both determined to be boss rat. Either of them neutered? Silly rats.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

Poor little Rex died on Sunday, in her sleep, from the chest infection. Didn't think the antibiotics were helping much, but was still such a shock. Even worse that we only realised when my parents came for a visit, and they saw her. She was still warm :(I'm just glad we found her so quick, I dread to think what would happen if the others got to her first.

RubySprinkles
Jul 8, 2008

Chakattack! posted:

My PEW started off the same way, or at least did with my friend who was his previous owner. He was very skittish - could not be given pieces of food or treats by hand, would hide anytime he was looked at, squeaked when we would handle him, etc. He's now a really chill guy who would love to ride around on my shoulders all day and go with me everywhere if he could. Everytime I walk past his cage, if he's not asleep, he's on the top level watching me.

I'd try treats to try to get her to reassociate being handled with something pleasant. Good luck!

Edit: Greyish Orange - I'm sorry for your loss! Rex was a beautiful girl.

RubySprinkles fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 2, 2014

Chakattack!
May 23, 2004
95% Cheesecake
Thanks for the PEW chat guys. Interesting mix of responses! She curled up in my jumper and bruxed herself silly today so I don't think she hates me. I do think her lovely eyesight makes her a lot less confident out the cage though. In the cage she's actually super friendly and is always coming up to the bars to see what I'm doing or to say hello.

Here's a picture of her looking super calculating as a thank you:

Cardiovorax posted:

From my experience intro'ing outside the cage is always super easy compared to putting them together - don't be surprised at the difference. I had a territorial female rat who wouldn't adjust to the two babies I put in with her until I removed literally everything from the cage. I was able to slowly put stuff back in without too many problems. I also tried to stress them into bonding, put them in the carrier and took them for a bumpy walk round the block, then whilst they were still kind of horrified by everything plopped them in the cage together - had 0 problems after that.

Or like someone else said, neuter? Haven't had male rats in ages so can't really comment but hormonal aggression can be a real problem from what I hear.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Big Bug Hug posted:

Yours really sounds like a territory issue, like they're both determined to be boss rat. Either of them neutered? Silly rats.
The new guy is neutered. I'm honestly not really sure who's starting the aggressive behaviour, though. When I keep them separately, sometimes newguy will come to the bars of the cage and initiate a loud, squeaky stare-down with the old guy. He doesn't have to do so, his current cage is like three times as tall as the other one's and he could just stay away from that level.

Chakattack! posted:

From my experience intro'ing outside the cage is always super easy compared to putting them together - don't be surprised at the difference. I had a territorial female rat who wouldn't adjust to the two babies I put in with her until I removed literally everything from the cage. I was able to slowly put stuff back in without too many problems. I also tried to stress them into bonding, put them in the carrier and took them for a bumpy walk round the block, then whilst they were still kind of horrified by everything plopped them in the cage together - had 0 problems after that.

Or like someone else said, neuter? Haven't had male rats in ages so can't really comment but hormonal aggression can be a real problem from what I hear.
I think I'll try that, cleaning out everything and then doing that walk thing. I've got a pretty small carrier, so they'd be bumping all over each other if I carry them around for a bit.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

Cardiovorax posted:

The new guy is neutered. I'm honestly not really sure who's starting the aggressive behaviour, though. When I keep them separately, sometimes newguy will come to the bars of the cage and initiate a loud, squeaky stare-down with the old guy. He doesn't have to do so, his current cage is like three times as tall as the other one's and he could just stay away from that level.
:lol: sorry but that's too funny. He's just like mine. The neuter should stop territorial aggression. In theory it should stop other rats being aggressive to him as he doesn't have those male hormones. Maybe they are just jerks?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Dudes being the best of friends in their natural habitat:

I'd be a lot less worried about them fighting each other a bit if not for the huge size difference you can see more or less well there. In case it doesn't show, the big one is like two or three times the size of the smaller and probably at least that much heavier, too. They don't really seem to want to hurt each other, but I'm a bit worried oldguy might kill the small one through sheer accident.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Try giving them a bath together or taking them up/down stairs together or something, then sticking them both in the same (clean! empty!) cage.

Re PEW: my PEW girl was always more easily startled than the other rats, but she was pretty friendly despite that.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
My rats are just black eyed but Vincent is always skiddish. He doesn't like leaving the cage unlike Ratigan who will make a run for it if you take your eyes off him. Vincent also refuses to be picked up; squeaking if you do and usually scurrying his way out of your grasp. I can get Ratigan to jump into my lap at least. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Raaaaaats. You're supposed to eat those not throw them around the cage.