Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

dazat posted:

Manah definitely deserved better. That may actually be one of the more frustrating things about Drakengard 2 as a whole; here's a character with an interesting background and potential for development, but who just gets shoved into the role of bland love interest to accommodate our bland hero. I think a Drakengard 2 with her as the protagonist would have been much more interesting, with her unknowingly destroying the world again.

Drakengard 2 becomes a lot better if you just remove Nowe entirely and make Manah or Eris the main protagonist/antagonist. One of them is directly tied to the watchers and the other is the Goddess who's going to have to give up her freedom if the seals break. They both have way more potential as characters just based on those traits alone.

Also: I hated the way the narration in Drakengard 2 portrayed Inuart and Furiae as being in some sort of tragic doomed romantic relationship. Furiae didn't like him, and he handled it in a creepy and terrible way. There is NOTHING romantic about their relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Inuart is a void. It's impossible for anything good to happen to him, or even around him. He is badness incarnate.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I'm a little confused here. I remember hearing about Drakengard's collector's edition being hella sold out, but I just bought it from Square's lovely store. Nothing there told me it was sold out, and I haven't received an email telling me the order couldn't be processed. Did they restock or something?

edit: There's an image saying it's sold out right on the page

They didn't just let me shell out $90 for nothing, did they?

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 1, 2014

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Butt Ghost posted:

I'm a little confused here. I remember hearing about Drakengard's collector's edition being hella sold out, but I just bought it from Square's lovely store. Nothing there told me it was sold out, and I haven't received an email telling me the order couldn't be processed. Did they restock or something?

edit: There's an image saying it's sold out right on the page

They didn't just let me shell out $90 for nothing, did they?

It was in stock a while ago. Nobody knows if they really went back in stock, it was a mistake or they've been slowly allocating out preorders.

The earlier you preorder, the better, but there's a chance you'll be screwed over (see ni no kuni wizards edition)

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

For all us EU and PAL goons looking for a collectors edition there has been some good news! A version of the collectors edition has been announced for us!

EDIT: Haha, it doesn't even come with a disk, never mind everyone!

Ashtarath fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Apr 2, 2014

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Ashtarath posted:

For all us EU and PAL goons looking for a collectors edition there has been some good news! A version of the collectors edition has been announced for us!

I'm still going to get this. It's something physical at least and I kind of want the book and dlc packaged with it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Ashtarath posted:

Well it does have a download token for the game. So drakengard 3 will be a digital only release in Palland? Article makes it sound like it.

I'm so excited for this game and to get my collectors edition. I don't even know about about this but I have read the whole drakengard LPs and played Nier.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah, we only get it digitally.

Also there's only 2000 of those things so, uh.. good luck!

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Ashtarath posted:

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, we only get it digitally.

Also there's only 2000 of those things so, uh.. good luck!

The only conclusion I can get from this is that Cavia really does live on in spirit and for some reason Europe is their new target.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

At least it confirms that the Japanese language track will be a pre-order bonus for the non-CE version here, which is all I really cared about.

Moskau
Feb 17, 2011

HEY GUYS DON'T YOU LOVE ANIME?! I LOVE ANIME SO MUCH ESPECIALLY ALL THE PANTY SHOTS AND FAN SERVICE AND MOE MOE MOE! I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH!

Kaislioc posted:

Europe is their new target.

Turning us upside down was only the beginning. :v:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
If I get the game from Amazon, does that mean I don't get the preorder bonuses? The page mentions different colored costumes, but those seem pretty lame by comparison.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Momomo posted:

If I get the game from Amazon, does that mean I don't get the preorder bonuses? The page mentions different colored costumes, but those seem pretty lame by comparison.

Was wondering this too. I don't like dealing with Digital River and the shipping is crazy so I wanna get it off Amazon but it doesn't seem like the Amazon version comes with the preorder stuff.

Edit: maybe I can cancel the Digital River version and go with Amazon and use the money I save to buy the DLC I'd get for free with the square enix preorder. If that stuff will be available as DLC later.

Overbite fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 2, 2014

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

Gosh the handling of the EU/PAL collectors edition has been shaky. Links to the AU store were broken with support staff saying it would be up soon. Now other staff are saying it simply isnt availabe in Aus.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Ineffiable posted:

It was in stock a while ago. Nobody knows if they really went back in stock, it was a mistake or they've been slowly allocating out preorders.

The earlier you preorder, the better, but there's a chance you'll be screwed over (see ni no kuni wizards edition)
With Ni no Kuni, I think you could have sent them a picture of your receipt, and they gave you whatever you were missing. Either way, I guess all I can do is pray and hope for the best.

So, I don't actually know anything about Drakengard, but I'm pretty interested in it. Are the first two worth playing? I recall hearing that the games themselves were balls. I'm probably going to pick up NieR when I have the chance either way, because that game sounds insane, and I love the opening monologue.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nier plays passably enough, though it never goes past that. Just read the LPs in the archive for the other two. Especially do not spend money on Drakengard 2 because it's garbage.

victorisham
Oct 9, 2009

Quelaag, my dear sister... Please do not cry.
I am happy, really. I have you, don't I?

Butt Ghost posted:

With Ni no Kuni, I think you could have sent them a picture of your receipt, and they gave you whatever you were missing. Either way, I guess all I can do is pray and hope for the best.

So, I don't actually know anything about Drakengard, but I'm pretty interested in it. Are the first two worth playing? I recall hearing that the games themselves were balls. I'm probably going to pick up NieR when I have the chance either way, because that game sounds insane, and I love the opening monologue.

Drakengard 1 sounds like it was full of horrible bullshit in terms of gameplay, and Drakengard 2 sounds like it was better in those terms but also had a very dull storyline with only a few interesting points. The Dark Id has an LP of both that would probably be more worth your time than actually playing them yourself.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, just read the LPs for Drakengards 1 and 2, but totally play Nier.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Butt Ghost posted:

Just speaking mechanically, Drakengard 1 is a very dull, very poor Dynasty Warriors clone. The movelist consists of hammering square to do the same attack over and over again, and occasionally triangle to do a magic attack. It gets very boring, very very quickly. The story, music, atmosphere and presentation however...there's a reason it's gained a cult following, and they're the best bits. The characters are horrible monsters, the world they live in is cruel and unrelenting, and the later stages are full of vindictive hatred for the player.

Drakengard 2, on the other hand, is the mirror opposite - it is a much more mechanically sound Dynasty Warriors clone, more combat variety and such (still limited, but not terrible). But the story, characters and tone, are almost a 1800 from the first game - whereas the protagonist from Drakengard 1 was a blood-thirsty sociopath who actively enjoyed killing things, and the game didn't try to gloss over that fact, the main character of Drakengard 2 is Mr Generic JRPG Anime Hero, who's "noble" and poo poo, and gotta do the whole friendship thing. The music is pretty great though.

What I'm saying is, read the LPs of Drakengard - TDI highlights the best parts of each, without you having to suffer through the worst - and play Nier as blind as possible - and make sure to do at least two playthroughs.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 3, 2014

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
There's something to be said about getting the full Drakengard experience. THat level of hatred of your players can never be fully understood unless you've lived through it yourself.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

victorisham posted:

Drakengard 1 sounds like it was full of horrible bullshit in terms of gameplay, and Drakengard 2 sounds like it was better in those terms but also had a very dull storyline with only a few interesting points. The Dark Id has an LP of both that would probably be more worth your time than actually playing them yourself.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Nier plays passably enough, though it never goes past that. Just read the LPs in the archive for the other two. Especially do not spend money on Drakengard 2 because it's garbage.

As someone who played D1(Thanks middle-school friend!), this is all real. I know people love themselves some Drakengard here, but it was not a good game. Story was interesting but that gameplay was soul crushing, even considering Nier's material grind.
The art for all 4 is really nice though, and D2 had some interesting side characters, even if they were second to Nowe's boring bullshit. Nowe was bad, but I say that as a person who likes Tidus(but not Vaan), so take from that what you will.

...In other news I hope that my FFXII:3 CE also gets shipped with everything considering I bought them together. You better not gently caress with me SqEn or I will shake my fist impotently at you

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I did one play through of Drakengard 2 recently because I dislike watching LP's when I can easy just play the game myself and I suggest no-one else put themselves through that.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Postal Parcel posted:

Nowe was bad, but I say that as a person who likes Tidus(but not Vaan), so take from that what you will.

Yeah, but liking Tidus is understandable, given that he actually has depth and a character arc that shows his growth as a person.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
You know I still don't get how the title-mentioned character's virginity is a particularly relevant or interesting plot point.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Butt Ghost posted:

I don't think you understood how bad ni no kuni was. (This is regarding the wizard edition.)

You could preorder the game a long time ago. Then about... Six months before the game came out, they closed off preorders. Then maybe sometime between a month to a week to the game coming out, they opened up preorders again and a lot of people preordered then because barely anyone preorders over six months.

Turns out, they oversold their preorders in less than a few minutes of opening up preorders, but they didn't close off preorders so, hundreds, if not thousands of people had their wizards edition preorders cancelled.

They don't know how to allocate stock, and this is exactly the same vendor (digital river) I just hope because it's been going in and out of stock often, they're actually trying to watch the numbers. But for the most part, it was a lot of people who preordered near when the release of the game, that got screwed on their orders.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Anatharon posted:

You know I still don't get how the title-mentioned character's virginity is a particularly relevant or interesting plot point.

It's not

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I only put that there because of Four's character description when she was revealed :shobon:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Lunethex posted:

I only put that there because of Four's character description when she was revealed :shobon:

Basically everything related to that is completely irrelevant so I guess it's just a thing Taro Yoko is into.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Anatharon posted:

Zero makes fun of her because of it. And Four hates it. A lot.

victorisham
Oct 9, 2009

Quelaag, my dear sister... Please do not cry.
I am happy, really. I have you, don't I?
I guess it also makes her unique as far as the sisters go in that the rest of them are assuredly non-virgins, when the apostles are specifically meant for banging.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Ineffiable posted:

I don't think you understood how bad ni no kuni was. (This is regarding the wizard edition.)

I don't think you understand how bad ni no kuni is (this is regarding the game)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Megalixir posted:

I don't think you understand how bad ni no kuni is (this is regarding the game)

You've got me there.

At least Drakengard 3 seems very enjoyable if you know exactly what you're getting into.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I contacted Square asking about the Drakengard 3 CE stocks.

quote:

Thank you for contacting the Square Enix online store.

The product that you ordered Drakengard 3 Collector's Edition [PS3] is a
pre-order and has not yet been released to the public.Rest assured that
we have enough stocks for this item.

Hopefully that means this late batch of orders will be completed correctly. Either way, if you want the CE and haven't ordered it yet, you better do so soon, just in case.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

You've got me there.

At least Drakengard 3 seems very enjoyable if you know exactly what you're getting into.

Drakengard and enjoyable are two words I wouldn't really use together without a more massive qualification. :v:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I guess you could considering it enjoyable from a masochistic standpoint, the first two games are awful.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Thank god I'm on the Squarenix mailing list, didn't even know this was a thing until yesterday. Only about 100 CE copies left, apparently. Someone tries ordering until the store said 'all gone', so almost gone for good this time? Who knows, hopefully I got a copy for real and not a disappointing email in a month's time.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Anatharon posted:

Drakengard and enjoyable are two words I wouldn't really use together without a more massive qualification. :v:

It has an enjoyable story for the whole family?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I bought the collector's edition because I'm a stupid awful person, so now all I have to do is wait. All things considered, they localized the game quicker than I was expecting.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
My copy of the DOD3 Complete Guide: "Record of Flower" came through today :toot:

It's got the usual artwork and stuff, and surprisingly (to me at least), synopses of all the DLC content, and the two tie-in mangas.

Also full of poo poo that we don't see ingame, like this little guy is the bug-thing that makes up Zero's missing arm.

And of course, more stories and stuff for the orignal Drakengard, and how it fits into the new timeline they've created.

Story: A_0010 「真紅の竜」 "Crimson Dragon"

Other stories listed are:
A_2040 「帝国との決戦」 "Decisive Battle of the Empire"
A_3010 「2年後の世界」 "The World; Two Years After" (has an illustration of a young, caged, dragon.)
A_4010 「正しく病んだ者達」 "Those Who Are Rightly Sick" (or maybe something to do with Seere being sick?) (Has an illustration of Aroich and Leonard fighting something)
A_4030 「妹」 "Sister" (illustration of Furiae with a dragon)
A_5040 「竜の地」 "Land of the Dragons"
A_5040_end 「A エンディング」 "Ending A" (illustration of...a butt-winged, androgynous figure, with long red hair, horns, surrounded by dragon eggs, and carrying a sword. Angelus? Maybe?)
「跋」 "Epilogue"

I'll do some more detailed scans later.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

Awesome scans!

Thank you for those! I want to hurry and buy my own copy but I don't have the cash. ;_; I can't wait to read/maybe translate those Drakengard stories!

Pesky Splinter posted:

Also full of poo poo that we don't see ingame, like this little guy is the bug-thing that makes up Zero's missing arm.

I don't know what I was imagining when Zero said her arm was powered by a bug, but... it wasn't that. This guy should have shown up in-game!

dazat fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 11, 2014

• Locked thread