Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

This season is 100% dictated by idiots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

xbilkis posted:

Have you watched Sarah at all this season? She would sooner die than Betray The Integrity Of Being A Cop

I dunno man, she flipped on BlueBlood pretty loving quickly.

Fooz posted:

This season is 100% dictated by idiots

This is just what happens when you sequester all the nerds in the same corner with dunce caps and let the jocks and populars have at them.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Right now, Chaos Kass's best chance to win is by mixing up alliances constantly. If she just pagongs Tasha/Spencer/Jeremiah/Morgan, then either Kass is next to go or she's a goat with no votes in the Final 3. But if she can get other people to keep alliances fluid, she's no longer the only traitor and could potentially get herself to the end with equally-hated people.

The good news for both her and the viewer is I think she's smart enough to realize this, and I have a feeling this will be a crazy finish.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Milovan Drecun posted:

I don't think that six will stay strong. So to some extent the game seems really wide open.

TMMadman, it isn't about threats (no one thinks Trish is a threat), it's about preventing a tie with idols still out there. Kass was right, and Sarah wrong, on this. Sarah was just as egotistical and (by the edit, at least) wrought her own end. Kass was fine staying tight with the six before Sarah was waffling on who to vote.

Edit: ^^^My man!^^^

But if there is no bickering between Kass/Sarah, then Tony probably goes to the TC without thinking that he is targeted and you can easily blindside him. In the end, I think both Sarah and Kass played it stupidly because neither of them could set aside their egos.

I know that it isn't always about threats, but in this case I feel like Sarah is right on the money. Tony is paying attention to everything and I think they lost a perfect chance to blindside him with the idol in his pocket. Sure, they managed to get him and LJ to misplay their idols, so in the end it worked out for everyone but Sarah.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Yeah gently caress the haters, I'm rooting for Kass now.

Though I really feel like we're being set up for a (speculation based on editing, I have no clue if I should spoiler this) Spencer Spencer Spencer Spencer victory

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

TMMadman posted:

But if there is no bickering between Kass/Sarah, then Tony probably goes to the TC without thinking that he is targeted and you can easily blindside him. In the end, I think both Sarah and Kass played it stupidly because neither of them could set aside their egos.

I know that it isn't always about threats, but in this case I feel like Sarah is right on the money. Tony is paying attention to everything and I think they lost a perfect chance to blindside him with the idol in his pocket. Sure, they managed to get him and LJ to misplay their idols, so in the end it worked out for everyone but Sarah.

You could be right, but that's specious. We don't know how Tony would react. I don't believe Tony is an easy blindside, at all. Especially with another idol out there to be had. And the consequences of screwing that vote up would have been massive. I think the fact we saw all the idols flushed this time almost disproves the idea completely. An idol was going to be played, possibly both no matter what. And you're right, this vote may have helped everyone but Sarah, Tony and LJ.

And Spencer has life in this game, though he probably should have kept his mouth shut...

Milovan Drecun fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 3, 2014

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Tony is just all kinds of hilariously insane, and that was an amazing Tribal. Just, holy poo poo.

And Kass, you stupid stupid bitch.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Preview chat: Young ladies still hate old ladies!

Toaster Ding
Apr 30, 2006

Kass original plan could not have worked more perfectly if it were scripted until SHE HERSELF hosed it up. It's unbelievable the amount of hubris it takes to play the other team so perfectly that they flush both idols and still lose a member, then throw it all away because you weren't getting a comfy enough seat at the cool kids table.

This season is entertaining as all hell. But Kass is a literal child who deserves every all the scorn she will receive and then some.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I guess I can hold out hope that Spencer's made enough of an impression to come back for an All-Stars, so that's something. Poor bastard keeps getting hamstrung by idiots, I feel for him.

Lone Goat posted:

What's this a reference to?

blue squares posted:

I don't get it
It is intolerable that you don't know this :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG3H9E-B464
(Spoiler alert: A minor character's death from Season 3 of Game of Thrones is in this scene, don't click it if that's something you might care about later)

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 3, 2014

Magnatux
Nov 13, 2004

The surrealistic adventure became my world.

CapnAndy posted:

Season 3 spoilers!

Of Game of Thrones. That video's title and description are massively unhelpful. Not watching beyond S1 of Game of Thrones yet personally, so these names mean nothing and I want to forget before I watch S3 now.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
disregard

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Codependent Poster posted:

"If she's going to ruin the game I'm going to ruin it first!"

Then they vote for who she wanted to vote for all along but she still flips.

It's poetry.

That was amazing. The LJ/Tony idol swap is right up there with the Malcolm double idol play and Amanda idol fake out. Amazing.

Kass. Worst Survivor ever? I defended her on the J'tia thing but now its just ego.
Tony. Most entertaining Survivor ever? I don't want to like you but you made my night.
Sarah. I'm sorry I defended you for so long. Kass may be an idiot and that shouldn't have happened but you earned it.
Woo. Honorable mention for being the only one smart enough to bring those shoes.
Jefra. You're adorable.
Trish. Best player this season? What the hell?
Spencer. I've had a few beers and I want to punch you in the face. That's not cool of me but you're so drat smug. I don't get it.

Congrats to the Spencer fans though because the first half of that episode had me convinced he was a goner.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 3, 2014

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Milovan Drecun posted:

You could be right, but that's specious. We don't know how Tony would react. I don't believe Tony is an easy blindside, at all. Especially with another idol out there to be had. And the consequences of screwing that vote up would have been massive. I think the fact we saw all the idols flushed this time almost disproves the idea completely. An idol was going to be played, possibly both no matter what. And you're right, this vote may have helped everyone but Sarah, Tony and LJ.

And Spencer has life in this game, though he probably should have kept his mouth shut...

I think Tony would have been an incredibly easy blindside at this particular moment if it had been played right. Sarah had an easy in with him and if the new Aparri 6 simply agree to vote Tony (regardless of a possible HII) prior to the merge then all Sarah has to do is placate him with some 'Hey, I've gotta look like I'm on their side, but I'm totally with you. Cop's Honor' bullshit. Tony definitely seems like he is in control of his 'team' and they are going along with him, so if Sarah pulls the wool over his eyes, then he most likely dismisses any possible criticism of Sarah. Tony goes to TC thinking he has 6 solid votes and then bang, he's gone.

However, the problem is that Sarah couldn't really articulate it or maybe even think about it that way.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm hoping that close call wakes Jefra up and she stops being such a non-entity. The more players playing the game, the better.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Magnatux posted:

Of Game of Thrones. That video's title and description are massively unhelpful. Not watching beyond S1 of Game of Thrones yet personally, so these names mean nothing and I want to forget before I watch S3 now.
Good point, I edited it.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

TMMadman posted:

I think Tony would have been an incredibly easy blindside at this particular moment if it had been played right. Sarah had an easy in with him and if the new Aparri 6 simply agree to vote Tony (regardless of a possible HII) prior to the merge then all Sarah has to do is placate him with some 'Hey, I've gotta look like I'm on their side, but I'm totally with you. Cop's Honor' bullshit. Tony definitely seems like he is in control of his 'team' and they are going along with him, so if Sarah pulls the wool over his eyes, then he most likely dismisses any possible criticism of Sarah. Tony goes to TC thinking he has 6 solid votes and then bang, he's gone.

However, the problem is that Sarah couldn't really articulate it or maybe even think about it that way.

Or Tony or LJ use an idol as an insurance policy. It's great in Tony's eyes if Sarah flips, but he doesn't really trust people. He sees exactly where Sarah stands if he uses the idol and can't leave. I think calling it an easy blindside is specious, you can't know what won't play out. You're guessing but the plan still has the potential to blow up in their faces. Trish and Jeffra were clearly safe targets! We saw that play out.

We're rehashing though sooooo

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Milovan Drecun posted:

Or Tony or LJ use an idol as an insurance policy. It's great in Tony's eyes if Sarah flips, but he doesn't really trust people. He sees exactly where Sarah stands if he uses the idol and can't leave. I think calling it an easy blindside is specious, you can't know what won't play out. You're guessing but the plan still has the potential to blow up in their faces. Trish and Jeffra were clearly safe targets! We saw that play out.

We're rehashing though sooooo

Every plan has the potential to blow up in their faces, so sometimes you have to roll the dice. And Tony was clearly willing to play the HII on whoever he thought was going to get voted out. So if he had an inkling that they were going to vote for Jefra or Trish, he would have played it on one of them. But I think the only reason he was willing to play it is because Sarah didn't do anything to reassure him that she was on his side. Sarah really screwed herself when she told Tony that she wasn't going to decide until TC.

I think the only person that Tony was willing to trust was Sarah because of the whole cop bond. He flat out said that she was above Woo in his eyes (which may or may not be a lie), but she couldn't turn around and blow smoke up his rear end by saying that she was totally on his side. Maybe she still goes home even if she does, but I think it's worth it to play it out. But I still think if Sarah had done anything at all to appease Tony, then he doesn't play his idol and gets blindsided.

Another option is to try the end around and tell Tony "Hey, their plan is to vote for Trish/Jefra" and then stick the knife in Tony anyway. The problem is that Sarah couldn't sell any of it, either to Kass or Tony. And it didn't help that Kass and Sarah were butting heads over the whole thing because that just made everyone suspicious.

Sure, the whole discussion is kind of moot because it all depends on a chain of events and once one things goes wrong, the rest isn't going to happen. But it's still fun to discuss. :)

edit - However with the way it played out, it's really going to be fun to see the fallout next week.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 3, 2014

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother
So far this is easily the best season I've watched in a long, long, long time...

Unmerciful posted:

I still cannot believe that Probst decided to re-introduce the Yul idol, one of most game-destroying elements in the history of the show, because TYLER PERRY thought it would be cool. You can't make this poo poo up

...and this could ruin it.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother
Earlier today people were talking about how bad a player Garrett was, and now Kass has proven herself to be one of the worst players ever. Sarah was equally as bad, especially tonight, but at least her vote made sense for her.

I never thought I'd say this at the beginning of the season, but I'm totally rooting for Tony. He's a lunatic, but he's incredibly entertaining and I've loved him for a while now. Plus he's genuinely having the most fun out of anyone's on Survivor since maybe Reynold.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

So Kass gave up a likely position in the top 3 for... being 6 in a 6 person alliance? So stupid.

Zarrr
Oct 1, 2001

Toaster Ding posted:

Kass original plan could not have worked more perfectly if it were scripted until SHE HERSELF hosed it up. It's unbelievable the amount of hubris it takes to play the other team so perfectly that they flush both idols and still lose a member, then throw it all away because you weren't getting a comfy enough seat at the cool kids table.

This season is entertaining as all hell. But Kass is a literal child who deserves every all the scorn she will receive and then some.
I really hope she loses in tears with zero jury votes. I don't care about her ruining her own game, but she just cost Tash a million bucks for the dumbest pettiest reason.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

gently caress Tash, she was siding with Sarah :cry:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Just finished watching. Tony owns. gently caress Kass. Predicting that Tash, Spencer and Woo form the top trio eventually.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Mercaptopropyl posted:

I never thought I'd say this at the beginning of the season, but I'm totally rooting for Tony. He's a lunatic, but he's incredibly entertaining and I've loved him for a while now. Plus he's genuinely having the most fun out of anyone's on Survivor since maybe Reynold.

Tony had me at #SpyShack, he's the best.

Never has reading the reactions to an episode in a TVIV thread been as much fun as tonight's Survivor, thank you Khaos Kass and Officer Sarah.

Feral
Jun 13, 2003

My god, look at this place. It's like a museum of failure!

Zarrr posted:

I really hope she loses in tears with zero jury votes. I don't care about her ruining her own game, but she just cost Tash a million bucks for the dumbest pettiest reason.

I'm loving the hell out of this season, but this was the one downside for me. Tasha's been my pick to win and this was a huge blow to her game.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
On the Supreme Court, the best way to shore up a slim majority is to let the shakiest member write the opinion.

Why the hell doesn't lawyer Kass know that? She went from a sure final three, to a sure final three for a completely different reason. She was always dumb, now just going out of her way to remove all doubt.

This season is full of idiots, but drat if it isn't entertaining.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Oh, well that was the best episode since Malcolm whipped out two idols. I love the way Tony plays the game - he really is one of the most observant people around and it's leading to pretty good gameplay.

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fast Luck posted:

gently caress Tash, she was siding with Sarah :cry:

I don't think she was siding with Sarah as much as just trying to smooth things over.

What Tash said:
:shrug: I think Sarah makes a good point.

What Tash meant:
:ssh: Be quiet Kass, we need her on our side.

What Kass heard:
:smug: Sarah is our new leader and Kass is the bottom!

It's awesome even with all the ego Sarah showed, Kass' ego turned out to be the bigger problem for Aparri. Why couldn't you just shut up and let the important swing vote have her way?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Jesus Christ Kass, how dumb can you be. You placate Sarah until you get a solid majority after a couple more tribals in case a vote split is needed to flush an idol. You don't needlessly flip the script and piss off your original alliance in favor of an even worse position. My god. :eng99:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

There's very little chance that Kass is going to get dragged along as the final 3. Trish is already the final 3 goat that won't get any votes, if Kass and Trish end up in the final 3, it's really going to destroy this otherwise good season!

Also, I hope that Jeff just reads the clue to the super idol outloud at the reward challenge or something so everyone know where it's at and chaos ensues.

Teckiwi
Dec 7, 2006

Shakugan posted:

So Kass gave up a likely position in the top 3 for... being 6 in a 6 person alliance? So stupid.

Brains tribe for you...

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010
Jesus Christ, I've never seen two players trip over each other harder for the title of worst survivor player.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

That was wondrous. Not the episode, the thread.

For all the people who said Kass was a good player... heh.

I think we're still in for more than a few flips before all is said and done - no way does the remaining brawn tribe remain whole.

Question for the lord of Survivor - how regular is a straight Pagonging on close to it in recent Survivor seasons? I remember early seasons largely having little in the way of shakeups, but Blood Vs Water and a few other seasons I've seen have had lots of alliance's disintegrate.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Narcissus1916 posted:

That was wondrous. Not the episode, the thread.

For all the people who said Kass was a good player... heh.

I think we're still in for more than a few flips before all is said and done - no way does the remaining brawn tribe remain whole.

Question for the lord of Survivor - how regular is a straight Pagonging on close to it in recent Survivor seasons? I remember early seasons largely having little in the way of shakeups, but Blood Vs Water and a few other seasons I've seen have had lots of alliance's disintegrate.

I think we mostly had Pagongings in Caramoan and South Pacific. Maybe more, but recent seasons have been very forgettable.

On thinking about it, I think Toby kind of win me over this week. With his idol use, he went from selfish prick to goofy team player. Good for him.

I also realized that the TP idol might not suck, given that the finder keeps it and its power secret. It was only so gamebreaking way back when because neither of those were the case. We've never seen an uberidol holder draw votes before. It could be awesome.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Just finished the episode. On a season with an idiot like J'Tia and a quitter in Lindsay, Kass is the worst player on this season by a country mile. That's easily one of the dumbest moves in the history of the show. Erik in Micronesia levels of stupid. Dear god I don't even know where to begin.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

I think I need to be reminded on what power the My Idol Is Earl holds?
I can't remember what made it so uber versus a HII.

Was it that it could be played after votes were read?

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Yup. It ruined those season(s) because it turned out to be an automatic trip to the final 3. Of course, this was before they invented vote-splitting so there's always the possibility that it wouldn't be as broken now, if the other players feared it enough. You probably would still have incentives to bandwagon rather than balance against the Tyler Perry idol, though.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Propaganda Machine posted:

I think we mostly had Pagongings in Caramoan and South Pacific. Maybe more, but recent seasons have been very forgettable.

On thinking about it, I think Toby kind of win me over this week. With his idol use, he went from selfish prick to goofy team player. Good for him.

I also realized that the TP idol might not suck, given that the finder keeps it and its power secret. It was only so gamebreaking way back when because neither of those were the case. We've never seen an uberidol holder draw votes before. It could be awesome.

Without knowing the exact rules of the super idol, it's hard to say if it would be gamebreaking. I re-watched Panama a few months ago (the first season with the uber idol) and I got the sense that once the votes are read you couldn't play the idol on someone else. Meaning, for example, if Terry is holding onto the idol at Tribal, and Sally gets voted out, Terry can't give the Idol to Sally to save her. With these rules, the super idol isn't really much more powerful than the current idol these days since the players have gotten so good at vote splitting.

But, from what I vaguely recall about the Cooks, Yul was able to take control of the game by claiming he could and would do just that-- threatening Penner that, if anyone in his alliance got voted out, Yul would save them and Penner would go. That's what made the idol so game-breakingly powerful that season, since Penner really had no choice and was screwed either way. If those were the rules (and/or are the rules with the super idol this season), then I think the idol will be terrible again since it makes little sense to keep it a secret. If someone like Spencer finds the super idol, all he has to do is do the exact same thing Yul did and threaten someone like Jefra to join them or he can guarantee she goes home.

EDIT: They never explictly stated that rule in Terry's season, I'm just going by how the season went down-- otherwise, I can't imagine why on earth Terry would just watch as his alliance is voted out one-by-one and not do anything to stop it. Other than Terry being a completely narcissistic dope (probably just that!).

mancalamania fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Apr 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Hahahahaha loving Kass, the ego of that woman. She hosed up, but really I'm not unhappy to see Sarah off the show. She went from 0 to terrible over the course of half an episode.

• Locked thread