Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Azhais posted:

Is there Honey? Can you make mead?

In Masterwork, yes you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You've been able to make mead from honey since the last version. Or whenever it was that Toady added beekeeping.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Although as far as I can tell masterwork can't solve the many outstanding bugs and pains inherent in the beekeeping industry. It's just not viable as a food/alcohol source. Still, at least it keeps a couple of dwarves busy (activating every single ambush on the map as they traverse the entire length to grab a wild bee colony while half your hives sit around full).

It's kind of a shame. Like cheesemaking, or milk in general. I hope it's been addressed in ~THE NEW VERSION~

edit: it also doesn't help that despite being such a low-yield production chain, mead is some of the least valued alcohol in the game, having a value of 1, which it shares with gutter cruor, sewer brew, swamp whiskey, and prickle berry wine. Also as it is considered a "tool" for some reason honey gets stored in Finished Goods stockpiles as well as food stockpiles, so every time you move your goods bins to the depot you may cause job cancellations. Mostly this affects stills, because kitchens rarely use honey. That's probably a good thing, because you can't manipulate honey through the Kitchens screen. The bee industry also produces royal jelly, which hilariously is produced and stored as stacks of 1 and has the same problem as honey does with getting stored in finished goods bins.

edit: oh and mead is produced solely in stacks of 5, have fun

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 3, 2014

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Were headbutts always possible or is this a result of me using the Dragon Ball mod?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The stockpile mess is only because of jugs. They don't empty correctly into barrels or get stored according to contents, like buckets and barrels do. If you get rid of the royal jelly and set the reactions (pressing and brewing) to use barrels as containers instead, everything is hunky dory.

Well, except for the mead being produced in small stacks. Unlike all custom reactions, the hardcoded brewing job ignores all container size constraints and can stuff 50 units of booze into a single 2 liter barrel. If the meadmaking reaction tries to put more than a dozen units of mead into a barrel, it just uselessly spills on the floor of the workshop.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Prop Wash posted:

Although as far as I can tell masterwork can't solve the many outstanding bugs and pains inherent in the beekeeping industry.
My workaround:
  • alter the honey bee raws in creature_insects.txt. Remove [BIOME:NOT_FREEZING].
    • Wild hives of honey bees will no longer appear anywhere.
  • Generate a new world (because you've altered raw files).
  • Embark in a non-freezing, non-mountainous, non-evil biome (or at least choose an embark area which is large enough to include a few eligible tiles).
  • You should see a few wild hives (of bumblebees, termites, etc). Your dwarves will ignore them.
    • If you don't see any wild colonies then the location is probably ineligible (e.g. high elevation); choose a different site.
  • Build some hives. Disable collection on them.
  • Run the DFHack command "colonies bees" to alter the existing wild hives into honey bees.
    • Your beekeepers will now grab the wild colonies and transplant them into your hives.
    • The wild colonies will regenerate over time, but you beekeepers will keep ignoring them.
    • When wild colonies despawn (which occurs periodically) you won't get the problem of beekeepers standing in one spot for weeks at a time.
    • Beekeepers will not charge suicidally into ambush/siege forces in order to gather wild swarms.
  • You can build additional hives and flag them for collection; your non-collectable hives will serve as a permanent reservoir.

quote:

That's probably a good thing, because you can't manipulate honey through the Kitchens screen.
It definitely shows up in my kitchen screen, but then again I've altered my raw files quite a bit.

The finished goods thing is different - honey (and other extracts) will normally be placed in Food stockpiles. It will get glommed into Finished Goods stockpiles only because it's inside a Jug whose standard container is a Bin (as governed by the [STORE_DIST_BIN_COMBINE:???] parameter in d_init.txt). If you abstain from using bins (e.g. because you're employing minecarts and quantum stockpiles) then that particular problem won't arise. Alternatively, you could try modding jugs ([SIZE:3001] in item_tool.txt) so that they're too large to fit inside a bin. It would be a disruptive hack (jugs would become fairly heavy and would slow down your haulers) but it would probably work.

And yeah, the value+quantity for mead is very underwhelming. Someone (scamtank, maybe) posted a fix for that issue ages ago. That particular fix also eliminated royal jelly, because it's just a pain-in-the-rear end item which complicates your workflows and fill up all of your jugs.

Milk and cheesemaking, on the other hand, are fine so long as you're using DFHack. Setup a worfklow constraint on Milk and a "Milk Creature" repeating job. Whenever a creature is eligible for milking, the job gets un-suspended and some peasant will grab a bucket. Setup a similar constraint + job for cheesemaking. Then forget about it forever and you'll have a steady trickle of cheese into your kitchens.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Prop Wash posted:

Although as far as I can tell masterwork can't solve the many outstanding bugs and pains inherent in the beekeeping industry. It's just not viable as a food/alcohol source. Still, at least it keeps a couple of dwarves busy (activating every single ambush on the map as they traverse the entire length to grab a wild bee colony while half your hives sit around full).

It's a huge pain in the rear end but you can manage things like silk gathering and beekeeping with burrows, basically define a burrow that covers your hives (or whatever else you want to restrict a guy to) plus eating/residential areas, and then assign citizens that have that labor enabled to that burrow.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of all these things you can do with DFHack, such as workflow, is there any sign of anything useful being added in the next version of the game or is everything just going to be tacked on and a new dfhack version needed?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I'll make some of those honey changes, thanks!

On the subject of Masterwork, apparently v.4j is the newest version as of 27 March, but as far as I can tell the latest changelog is from v.4i. Am I just not seeing it?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Prop Wash posted:

I'll make some of those honey changes, thanks!

On the subject of Masterwork, apparently v.4j is the newest version as of 27 March, but as far as I can tell the latest changelog is from v.4i. Am I just not seeing it?

The guy who runs Masterwork likes to post projects whose workflow are not quite finished. He has in the past posted updates that still linked to the old download, for example. PM him about it on the bay12forums and/or wait a few days.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Masterwork is put together by a bunch of separate people sharing all their work through Github and I believe they allow early downloading if you want a newer version of whatever really badly, look in the Masterwork forum:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=830330289fa9cf896a73ce2f1d5a6501&board=24.0

efb

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
4j is basically 4i plus some community bug fixes and new versions of bundled mods made by others. There was a (non-sticky) post about it, but apparently he forgot to update the main thread.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=137402.msg5128178#msg5128178

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Any advice for playing as Warlocks in Masterwork? (aside from making sure you have a bonesaw to construct a morgue for when your skeletons get trashed, that is)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

I'd hope "beer is made of barley" would not require a huge amount of evidence to prove.

Also there isn't hops, but there's a notation for bitter melon saying its leaves can be used instead of hops. Maybe hops is in a different raw file.
I don't think he's gotten to affecting how you cook/brew things enough that you actually make boozes out of more than one material yet.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The Droid posted:

Any advice for playing as Warlocks in Masterwork? (aside from making sure you have a bonesaw to construct a morgue for when your skeletons get trashed, that is)

Can you make a bonesaw anywhere? I don't see where to make one or select one for a custom embark.

e: never mind "@Hiphop38: the metalsmith forge and crafter has bonesaw."

aha there it is under Weapons for custom embark equipment

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 4, 2014

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You can also make a bone bonesaw at the boneforge :haw:

My advice is to get rid of the ghouls in your fortress. I dislike them, besides them being made to always rot when wounded so they never leave hospitals, they seem to instantly become friends with other ghouls so a single one dies and a third of your fortress is immediately pissed off. Either kill them all off or make sure they never do any fighting. I don't think skeletons are effected by thoughts so feel free to send them to the slaughter.

Also don't make a meeting hall or statue garden. Each caste in your fortress seems to be coded to be friends with anyone else in their caste. Nothing like your entire workforce of skeletons partying cause they are all friends with each other.

And last of all, the warlock civs die out, after your year 1 migrant waves you wont get anymore. You're going to want to make sure you have like 6 or so warlocks or witches at the end of year 1 so you got a few to keep skeletons in line and to pick up some of the labors that skeletons can't learn skills in. And nobles if you care about that. You can make more skeletons and ghouls, you can't make more warlocks.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

So you only get skeletons, ghouls and vampires after year 1? That's pretty annoying.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Only in year 1, the forced 2 migrant waves you always get. After that you can make skeletons at the necromantic shrine or the execution chamber, and you can get more ghouls at the graveyard, but you only get like a 5% chance of actually getting the ghoul or again use the execution chamber. No other ways to get warlocks outside of the 2 migrant waves, and you can only get vampires from the migrants or making your warlocks into vampires (And you can do the opposite).

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

fyi on that topic from the warlock bay12 thread:

how to get 3 (or more) warlocks in your starting group? . before selecting a place to embark type Startdwarf 10 into DF hack.

e: Oh I see, this literally starts you with 10 citizens in the first wave. still random.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 4, 2014

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012
Does the "digitout" mod still work? Seems like it hasn't been updated in ages, alternately is there a DFHack command that achieves the same thing? So tired of damp stone warnings.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
What did the "digitout" mod do? You can just disable the warnings, though that is a bit risky.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm gonna leave Warlocks alone until it's a bit more developed. There's a lot of really very interesting stuff in it but it just seems too frustrating to get a working balance of units without resorting to dfhack.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Apoffys posted:

What did the "digitout" mod do? You can just disable the warnings, though that is a bit risky.

You can disable the warnings, but you can't prevent the actual job cancellation, which is the really annoying part.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Do the warlock monoliths work by line of sight or not? I want to make a zombification pit to dump animal corpses into so that I don't accidentally raise the ones I want to butcher.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Remember when toady told us that he would avoid a dev cycle as long as the previous release? I do

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Also I can't for the life of me play vanilla df in masterwork. Wanted to show someone vanilla but even turning everything off embark choices were still completly hosed

brass_taxxx
Feb 19, 2011

Hesh Ballantine posted:

Does the "digitout" mod still work? Seems like it hasn't been updated in ages, alternately is there a DFHack command that achieves the same thing? So tired of damp stone warnings.

Yeah, seems to work for me with warm stone. (digitout prevents the job cancellations from occurring)

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Honestly, I'm just waiting for the new release for hilarious bugs. It's a shame we won't get to see some of them (animals carrying weapons was apparently fixed, for example), but there are hints at potential funny bugs in the future in the two latest Future of the Fortress posts.

The Toady One posted:

Yeah. Jumping mounts, maybe, too... though I'm not really sure what happens code-wise currently when a mount becomes a projectile (which is how jumping works). The rider may detach, which'll be funny until it is fixed.

So, the mount becomes a projectile, eh? This should be... interesting, to say the least! (EDIT: Let's hope he solves this by allowing dwarves to ride projectiles, while waving their *cloth* hats)

The Toady One posted:

Dirst mentioned partial reclaims on a portion of a larger site, and there is already a "subordinate site" framework for that (which happens for instance when you embark over a cave, the cave becomes subordinate), but that framework doesn't handle everything yet, so I suspect there'll be some growing pains there. For instance, the humans might come to reclaim their ruined 17x17 town after you already have a site that occupies a small part of it... leading to who-knows-what, but not necessarily good-fun rather than crashy-not-fun.

:sigh: Well, here's hoping it ends in good fun, rather than the not-fun of a crash. I'd love to see elven envoys take all of two minutes to stride from their town to the dwarven reclamation site to complain about the logging of their homes.

The Toady One posted:

Robbers do not ask for clothes. [because it was a coding nightmare]

Awwww... I wanted to meet a thief called Ahnold so!

The Toady One posted:

even the wren men out in the woods seem to say hello and goodbye to each other.

I actually kinda like this. Just witnessing the "mating dance" of the wren-men.

:downs: Hello
:heysexy: Hello
:nyd: Goodbye

Just a couple of examples I picked from the first one, there is, as always, some interesting stuff in FOTF.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 5, 2014

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

JamieTheD posted:

So, the mount becomes a projectile, eh?

Dwarven Space Program?

How many z levels can you propell your dwarf?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Toady One posted:

RL taxes are handled, and the tree raws are about ready to post. I just need to finish pomace/oil stuff and some shaping.

Okay, I suppose!

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Helical Nightmares posted:

Dwarven Space Program?

How many z levels can you propell your dwarf?

If you launch them too far, you'll hit Space Station 13.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Carsius posted:

If you launch them too far, you'll hit Space Station 13.

The Security Officer hacks Urist McJanitor in the left upper leg with his (stun baton), tearing apart the muscle!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Okay Tears of Armok is a pretty neat addition in Masterwork. Why does Toady keep his head jammed up his rear end when it comes to making DF extensible and supportable? Really he should co-opt a lot of the features in Masterwork because they're nifty.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Because a lot of people don't want the features in Masterwork? There's plenty of mods that add "nifty" things, that doesn't mean they should be a part of the base game.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That's not what I'm saying, I mean the methods these guys have built to extend the way DF works aside from the actual content itself. DFHack basically has a full blown script interpreter built into it now, aside from the weird voodoo it already did to work at all (directly manipulating the executable while it's loaded in memory).

e: but yes actually a lot of the content is pretty awesome as well and could be laid in alongside base DF content without changing the game works, e.g. the alternate playable races.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

That's not what I'm saying, I mean the methods these guys have built to extend the way DF works aside from the actual content itself. DFHack basically has a full blown script interpreter built into it now, aside from the weird voodoo it already did to work at all (directly manipulating the executable while it's loaded in memory).

e: but yes actually a lot of the content is pretty awesome as well and could be laid in alongside base DF content without changing the game works, e.g. the alternate playable races.

Because at the end of the day his insane vision and dedication to his dream game is why Dwarf Fortress exists in the first place. Sometimes you've gotta take the good with the bad.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Flesh Forge posted:

IIRC toady actually changed how he builds/compiles DF so tools like dfhack can tinker with it without doing really hideous stuff. From his point of view its win win. Users get mods and he doesn't have to spend time on it.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I'm not sure if I should be excited for the new update yet or not.

I don't even really remember whats going in aside from the ability to induce breakdowns in people when I slaughter their families in adventure mode now. Which is a novel feature, I suppose.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I'm not sure if I should be excited for the new update yet or not.

I don't even really remember whats going in aside from the ability to induce breakdowns in people when I slaughter their families in adventure mode now. Which is a novel feature, I suppose.

Multi-tile trees, climbing, I'm sure there's other huge things but that is what is sticking in my head for :psydwarf: mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

EightBit posted:

Multi-tile trees, climbing, I'm sure there's other huge things but that is what is sticking in my head for :psydwarf: mode.

Fan-compiled changelog, may be incomplete.