Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Pipe organ or nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

InitialDave posted:

Pipe organ or nothing.

I have always wanted to get a car with a BOV and mount a chord set of organ pipes on it

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I tried to switch lanes and almost hit this guy, luckily he started playing a fugue in D minor.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

atomicthumbs posted:

I have always wanted to get a car with a BOV and mount a chord set of organ pipes on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx35BcQFpkA

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Sorry locals living out in the mountains of Southern California, I'm the tourist from Illinois doing just the speed limit in a full size family sedan. I'm not used to elevation changes, turns in general, or driving a car bigger than a Golf.

I was really impressed by the guys hauling rear end in their full sized pick ups around hairpins with shear drop offs. Someone obviously knows the road.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pbUMXZvfi8

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Uthor posted:

Sorry locals living out in the mountains of Southern California, I'm the tourist from Illinois doing just the speed limit in a full size family sedan. I'm not used to elevation changes, turns in general, or driving a car bigger than a Golf.

I was really impressed by the guys hauling rear end in their full sized pick ups around hairpins with shear drop offs. Someone obviously knows the road.

I find that most timid drivers just seriously underestimate the capabilities of their cars. I'm surrounded by people that live in this area (that is nothing but hills and curves) and yet drive BMWs and Mercedes as if they're on a 12-foot-tall unicycle.

I'm not calling you out, as you said you only know straight roads and 90* turns, your post just reminded me about those people.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Uthor posted:

Just make sure you use turn outs. People who don't use turn outs are assholes.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Oh, I'm totally not comfortable with the limits of this car. It's a rental Optima that I had been driving for two days. Comfortable, but vague steering and an automatic transmission that whose shift pattern I can't figure out. Plus, my mother getting nervous if I'm going five over. I pulled over when I had to, passed when I was (shockingly) going faster than someone. I just feel bad when I hold up the obvious locals.

The more gentle route home was much better today.

(Being a rental, I did test it's limits taking it off road in the desert. Acceptable.)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It was that way when I was in Maui on Hana Highway. The locals drive pretty fast and crazy. I would have driven faster but I had my mom in the car too! :v: It was a Subaru Impreza though which was quite nice to have.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

a real rear end nigga posted:

whats the best use of money if I want extremely loud horn(s)? Had a girl slowly try to switch lanes into me without looking despite me holding down the horn the whole time.

It was pretty funny because we then pulled up to a red light and she would have been right beside me but she stopped like 4 car lengths back. At least she was ashamed I guess.

Find a junkyard with 70s-80s Cadillacs.

Remove the horn set from one or two of them. You'll find anywhere from 2 to 5 horns in each of them. They're hidden all over the front clip; you'll find them behind the bumper, in front of the radiator, inside the fenders, buried behind the air filter housing, behind the headlights...

I pulled a set from a 90 DeVille a few years back and dropped them into my old Altima. It went from the tiniest little meep meep meep meep meeeeeep meeeeeeep to HONK loving HONK, BITCH :smuggo:

Air horns are loud as poo poo, and also :laffo: - but you risk tickets, on top of them being a general PITA to install if you use actual big horns with a decent tank and compressor.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 3, 2014

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Fiamm Highway Blasters are louder than Supertones and much much cheaper.

I thought the appeal behind Supertones wasn't the volume as much as the incredibly obnoxious frequency of both tones together...

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Uthor posted:

Oh, I'm totally not comfortable with the limits of this car. It's a rental Optima that I had been driving for two days. Comfortable, but vague steering and an automatic transmission that whose shift pattern I can't figure out. Plus, my mother getting nervous if I'm going five over. I pulled over when I had to, passed when I was (shockingly) going faster than someone. I just feel bad when I hold up the obvious locals.

The more gentle route home was much better today.

(Being a rental, I did test it's limits taking it off road in the desert. Acceptable.)

The desert? Did you come down 74 into Palm Desert? That road is amazing...

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

a real rear end nigga posted:

whats the best use of money if I want extremely loud horn(s)? Had a girl slowly try to switch lanes into me without looking despite me holding down the horn the whole time.

I put a pair of Stebel TM-80 magnums on the 250c because the stock horns were busted . They are loud and sound fantastic. A lot of people talk up the Stebel Nautilus, real popular with the motorcycle guys, they're very loud but they're also pretty high pitched. The TM-80 magnums say "I'm a big bad car and you're about to be in a big bad way", and they say that message at the same SPL (139 db @ 2 meters) as the much-loved Nautilus.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 3, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

El Jebus posted:

The desert? Did you come down 74 into Palm Desert? That road is amazing...

Took 67, 78, and 79 from San Diego through Ramona and Julian to Borrego Springs. The end of the drive was switch backs along the side of the mountain. Took 78 the whole way back, which wasn't as steep and had a cool change from desert to brush to forest.

About 10 miles east of Borrego Springs was a sand and washboard road for about 4 miles to a scenic view of the badlands, which was fun until I realized we forgot to bring water in case I busted a tire. :-/

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

On the way to work last night I was 4-5 seconds behind another car, both of doing the speed limit of 45 mph. I noticed the gap was gradually closing, and I let off the throttle to open things back up... only to have him match my speed as we both slowly came down to 5 mph. He mashed the throttle and took off, and around a minute later we're back to sitting 4-5 seconds apart at 45 mph. Then the gap started closing again.

This whole process repeated itself 4 times before I finally got to a good place to pass him, and which point he flipped me the bird. I guess he thought that I was attempting to tailgate him but incredibly bad at tailgating. :confused:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

some texas redneck posted:

Find a junkyard with 70s-80s Cadillacs.

Remove the horn set from one or two of them. You'll find anywhere from 2 to 5 horns in each of them. They're hidden all over the front clip; you'll find them behind the bumper, in front of the radiator, inside the fenders, buried behind the air filter housing, behind the headlights...

I pulled a set from a 90 DeVille a few years back and dropped them into my old Altima. It went from the tiniest little meep meep meep meep meeeeeep meeeeeeep to HONK loving HONK, BITCH :smuggo:

Air horns are loud as poo poo, and also :laffo: - but you risk tickets, on top of them being a general PITA to install if you use actual big horns with a decent tank and compressor.

I have access to an '82 Deville, '84 Eldorado, and an '84 Fleetwood. I may do a little horn shopping this weekend...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

This whole process repeated itself 4 times before I finally got to a good place to pass him, and which point he flipped me the bird. I guess he thought that I was attempting to tailgate him but incredibly bad at tailgating. :confused:

Maybe check your headlight alignment or something? Maybe it wasn't your driving that was annoying him.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Whoever wrote this note is my hero.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I don't even need to see the RHD or AA sticker/tax disc to know that's British.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

KozmoNaut posted:

Whoever wrote this note is my hero.

The neat handwriting makes it perfect.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

InitialDave posted:

I don't even need to see the RHD or AA sticker/tax disc to know that's British.

Because in America we'd just leave a note saying "learn to park, rear end in a top hat." :v:

We're a simple people.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Geoj posted:

I thought the appeal behind Supertones wasn't the volume as much as the incredibly obnoxious frequency of both tones together...

The appeal is to show them off behind your grille.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

The appeal is to show them off behind your grille.

I just wanted a loud hord, so mine are hidden under the bumper. They're also covered in mud.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Because in America we'd just leave a note saying "learn to park, rear end in a top hat." :v:

We're a simple people.

When my coworker cut off an old lady on the way to the mall, she left a note saying, "What's your hurry, ram jam hurry man?" She was pleasant and had the extra courtesy of giving him his nick name.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Tha Chodesweller posted:

We're a simple people.

Or this.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I was the person you share the road with today. I was in the wrong lane of a large roundabout, turns out you couldn't go right, only straight on. Had to choose between cutting up an artic in the lane I actually needed, or a guy in a Focus who though I was going to do that and was already trying to take my place in my current lane. Chose the focus.

Ah well. Here is your squid for the day:

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Been collecting videos to show to my students for drivers education and this one shows why A.) you use crosswalks, B.) don't stop and be the "nice guy" to wave a pedestrian through while jaywalking, and C.) PAY ATTENTION TO OTHER CARS JESUS CHRIST.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz4npzMM3cM

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Ringo Star Get posted:

Been collecting videos to show to my students for drivers education and this one shows why A.) you use crosswalks, B.) don't stop and be the "nice guy" to wave a pedestrian through while jaywalking, and C.) PAY ATTENTION TO OTHER CARS JESUS CHRIST.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz4npzMM3cM

Man since the invention of dashcams drivers ed has got to be off the hook. We just had gory Australian safety videos.

Universities are, in my limited experience, a den of jaywalkin' though. Whenever I'm at my local one I'm always half the speed limit with my foot covering the brake.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 5, 2014

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

In my not so limited experience a large percentage of students get so 'at home' when they are on campus that they don't pay attention to loving anything when walking around. Roads are just big sidewalks and parking lots are for parking why would there be any moving vehicles there? This place is completely safe how could I possibly get hit by a car? Add cellphones into the mix and I'm surprised half of them don't get smeared before graduation.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Every loving day it seems I have to jam on the brakes because of some student walking out in front of the big-rear end, loud box-truck I'm usually driving around campus. Or I'll come around a corner and there will be a gaggle of them walking down the center of the road, oblivious to the sidewalk 2 feet from them. Or they walk right behind me while I'm trying to reverse, even with the obnoxiously loud beeper that can be heard half-way across campus. Last year a girl walked smack into the side of the truck while it was parked because she was so engrossed in her cell-phone. She ran into it so hard I heard the impact while I was inside a building and thought another vehicle had hit it.

I say almost daily that the college would run so much better if it weren't for all these loving students :v:

e: don't even get me loving started on how they drive. Holy poo poo :catstare:

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 5, 2014

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Terrible Robot posted:

I say almost daily that the college would run so much better if it weren't for all these loving students :v:
Not like adults are any better, I work in downtown Pittsburgh and see people jaywalk through massive rush hour traffic constantly. Apparently they're too important to walk 20 feet to a crosswalk.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I jaywalk, but I'm not a fuckface who does it without looking.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

InitialDave posted:

Ah well. Here is your squid for the day:

SHARE THE ROAD, CAGERS :argh:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Too bad there was no warning or sign telling him to, you know, slow down for that curve.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Also, the solid centre lines are an instruction not to cross into the other lane, even to overtake. They can generally be interpreted as "you can't see what's coming the other way, even if you think you can"

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
That gif is also a good example of why you want to have your headlights on always, especially as a grey car in grey-ish weather. Not that the motorcyclist isn't totally at fault here, but still.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
How would that have helped?

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Anime Reference posted:

Not like adults are any better, I work in downtown Pittsburgh and see people jaywalk through massive rush hour traffic constantly. Apparently they're too important to walk 20 feet to a crosswalk.

Most of my daily commute consists of two-lane road with a 70kph speed limit. Every single day people cross at seemingly random spots and regularly have to run across the street to avoid cars. Walking to crosswalks takes effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
If you're sound of mind and body, jaywalking is as safe as walking in a crosswalk. By sound of mind I mean looking before going. People will still try to run you down in a crosswalk, even if you have right of way.