Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

I'm genuinely surprised there's so much love for White-Optimus-in-power-armor in here; it's the one thing I've always hoped we could move past with the character. It's especially odd because I remember the whole MP Soundwave eye color fiasco where cartoon accuracy was make-or-break for a lot of people.

Besides, there's never really been a good "integrated" Magnus. I mean, Titanium would be great if it wasn't... Titanium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

ForeverSmug posted:

I'm genuinely surprised there's so much love for White-Optimus-in-power-armor in here
They're secretly all huge Dreamwave fans. Don't tell anyone though.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

IDW having Ultra Magnus basically be G1 Star Saber in terms of setup won me back on the idea, personally.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I have a question about making toys work:

I have a MakeToys Chaos Paladin. Its forearms and shoulders are stuck together at the PCC joint very firmly, to the point where I'm pretty sure tugging any harder is going to rip it off from the wrong side. I think that, once I'm able to remove them, trimming with an x-acto knife or something will fix this in the future. In the meantime, though...how the hell do I get them loose? Is there a way to apply lubricant without getting it all over the toy? Are some lubricants better for plastic than others?

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

ForeverSmug posted:

I'm genuinely surprised there's so much love for White-Optimus-in-power-armor in here; it's the one thing I've always hoped we could move past with the character. It's especially odd because I remember the whole MP Soundwave eye color fiasco where cartoon accuracy was make-or-break for a lot of people.

Besides, there's never really been a good "integrated" Magnus. I mean, Titanium would be great if it wasn't... Titanium.

It would be something we could move past if A) the MP line wasn't a direct homage/upgrade of G1 molds and B) if Hasbro could ever make a successful Magnus and trailer combo that didn't separate

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Basically, I want two Ultra Magni.

1) The MP version that will almost definitely be white truck with parts-forming armour that turns into a car-carrier. Takara always make a deal of showing that OP's trailer can take the smaller car dudes, so I'd imagine a car carrier trailer is a no-brainier for them.

2) A Generations IDW-style either Leader (since we're getting those now) or Voyager Magnus with his tapered shoulder stacks. This version could be the idealised non parts-formy version that turns into his IDW truck version, itself an homage to Cybertron UM I think?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

ForeverSmug posted:

I'm a little surprised how many people want features removed on their MP Magnus. Like, if people want to pay a lot of money for a 3rd party integrated Magnus that has the armor feature gutted, more power to them, but it's not for me. Some gimmicks interfere with the articulation and playability of a toy, but I don't foresee armor doing that so much, so I don't get why people want it removed, other than they want total cartoon accuracy and hate the inner robot. If you don't like white Prime... don't display the white Prime. Hell, I'm not even ever going to display him like that, it's just that he feels incomplete without it.

Of course, on a smaller and more budget restricted figure, wanting an integrated Magnus is totally reasonable. Like I said, Animated, RiD, Prime, Beast Hunters, FoC Magnus don't bother me. If Magnus is never again a dude in armor I wouldn't care. But if you're making a MP figure of the G1 toy, I'd like the white Prime or else I'll be a little disappointed.

I dare say that growing up, G1 Ultra Magnus and Powermaster Prime were more fun toys than the original G1 Prime because of their trailer armor gimmick.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The chief problem is that Masterpiece Prime is really big, and if they made an Ultra Magnus that's MP prime with an armor add on, it would be crazy huge.

Of course if there was a little Ambus in MP Magnus, that would be the best thing.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

The chief problem is that Masterpiece Prime is really big, and if they made an Ultra Magnus that's MP prime with an armor add on, it would be crazy huge.

It's subjective but I don't view MP-10 as being that big, though I keep him in front of my MP-01 which really dwarfs him. The UM armor doesn't really add that much height or mass

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Captain Magic posted:

I have a question about making toys work:

I have a MakeToys Chaos Paladin. Its forearms and shoulders are stuck together at the PCC joint very firmly, to the point where I'm pretty sure tugging any harder is going to rip it off from the wrong side. I think that, once I'm able to remove them, trimming with an x-acto knife or something will fix this in the future. In the meantime, though...how the hell do I get them loose? Is there a way to apply lubricant without getting it all over the toy? Are some lubricants better for plastic than others?

They're amazingly tight for the first few transformations, I just grab them very close to the hinge pin (since I assumed it'd be the easiest part to break) and pull as straight as I can to avoid damaging it. I haven't seen stress marks or anything so I think it's OK. Maybe you can shave them once you get 'em loose. The other ports had the right amount of tightness on mine.

Other than that, it's a very fun figure.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm actually pretty excited about Magnus, and if it were just a white/light blue repaint of the MP-10 with no extra baubles like the MP-10B was, I'd be happy. It'll probably be my first Transformer ever, just for the main suit alone, and I may just pawn off the armor since I don't think I'll use it since I like the core design so much.

Having not bought a high-end Transformer like that before, I'm curious - do masterpiece kits like that usually get US releases, or is it something I'd have to import?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think most of the MPs that have been released have seen a stateside release, though not always in the same colours, or every version of the mold. Megatron wasn't at all, Sideswipe hasn't been yet, we've seen Acid Storm but not a Starscream in the revised seeker mold, Prowl's coming out but we haven't heard about Bluestreak or Sideswipe. Rodimus was released over here with some fixes to the lousy original Japanese release, but without his battle platform/vehicle mode camper.

Whether you'd be able to find Magnus on a store shelf before someone else swooped in and bought the lot straight out of the case is another question. I consider myself lucky to have found Grimlock and Soundwave in-store.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

S-Alpha posted:

Having not bought a high-end Transformer like that before, I'm curious - do masterpiece kits like that usually get US releases, or is it something I'd have to import?
The Masterpiece line does see Hasbro instead of TakaraTomy (Japanese) releases, but they can be quite finicky about supply and will often be somewhat different in the final product as well as showing up months or even years later. They also tend to be considerably cheaper, but if reliability is the name of your game, just preorder the TT version and be done with it.

Also I think Magnus will be my first MP as well, unless I find a YOTH Optimus cheap or something.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Blackheart posted:

They're amazingly tight for the first few transformations, I just grab them very close to the hinge pin (since I assumed it'd be the easiest part to break) and pull as straight as I can to avoid damaging it. I haven't seen stress marks or anything so I think it's OK. Maybe you can shave them once you get 'em loose. The other ports had the right amount of tightness on mine.

Other than that, it's a very fun figure.

The only thing is that, I basically tried that method a few months ago when I first got it, and I pulled the PCC male end straight out of the plastic, screw and all. (It went right back in, but blech) This is now my second time sitting around with the toy. It's really, really tight.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
US Masterpiece releases bring out the scalpers like swarms of cicadas emerging from hibernation. You'll be lucky to find one even if you're checking TRU every single morning immediately after their shipment arrives. It took me three solid weeks of searching and hunting to get my MP Soundwave.

And Magic, I'd suggest just carefully but firmly wiggling it back and forth at angles. That's what's worked on my copy of Chaos.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

If you get Magnus, then you need to get some of the Autobot cars like Sideswipe, Prowl, etc. as they are probably my favorite Transformer toys ever made and they'll go on the car carrier mode. Every MP from MP-10 onwards is extremely good. I love my Classics \ Generations figures, but if you are just going to collect a few Transformers and not a fuckton of them, you are way better off spending your money on the occasional MP figure vs. a new wave of generations.

However the only MP figure before MP-10 that is really worth getting now is Grimlock, unless you want a HUGE Optimus Prime with die cast. Avoid Rodimus and Megatron like the plague, they suck poo poo.

I've managed to find Grimlock, Rodimus, Optimus AND Soundwave at US retail by some miracle, but I am the exception and do not expect to ever find them in a TRU. When a new figure comes out, you have to stalk TRU like a fuckin' hawk and you have like a one month window to find them and then they're gone forever. MP-10 was around for about a week then vanished for good. Also super goony nerds are going to horde them and sell them for stupid money on eBay. At this point you have to scour the secondary market.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Gammatron 64 posted:

However the only MP figure before MP-10 that is really worth getting now is Grimlock, unless you want a HUGE Optimus Prime with die cast. Avoid Rodimus and Megatron like the plague, they suck poo poo.

Well no, they don't "suck poo poo," but they're mediocre and certainly the least of the MP line. And considering the prices for them these days, "mediocre" doesn't cut it.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Keldroc posted:

Well no, they don't "suck poo poo," but they're mediocre and certainly the least of the MP line. And considering the prices for them these days, "mediocre" doesn't cut it.

Yeah, I exaggerate a lot. Like all the time. MP Rodimus looks really good, although he's very fragile and complicated as hell. He's a nice display piece, lovely toy.

Sometimes I forget that when I'm on the internet and say something is a piece of poo poo that I come off as angry.

Megatron... well, Megatron does actually look kind of bad and is really complicated and thin and has trouble standing and trouble holding his huge gun arm up and his feet rust... OK maybe Megatron really is bad. He comes with Kremzeek, though!

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Sometimes I forget that when I'm on the internet and say something is a piece of poo poo that I come off as angry.

Welcome to my world.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Megatron... well, Megatron does actually look kind of bad and is really complicated and thin and has trouble standing and trouble holding his huge gun arm up and his feet rust... OK maybe Megatron really is bad. He comes with Kremzeek, though!

Everyone seems to hate Megatron, but I've never found anyone willing to sell me a used one for a "used lovely toy" price. It's a weird phenomenon.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

There aren't really a lot of Megatrons that come close to being the end-all, be-all version of the character that everyone would like to see...which is weird considering his many incarnations and high status in the universe.

Seriously is there anything even close to an MP-10 level of belovedness for a Megatron figure? They all seem too small, too fiddly, or too weird.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Captain Magic posted:

There aren't really a lot of Megatrons that come close to being the end-all, be-all version of the character that everyone would like to see...which is weird considering his many incarnations and high status in the universe.

Seriously is there anything even close to an MP-10 level of belovedness for a Megatron figure? They all seem too small, too fiddly, or too weird.

There's the G2 green-and-purple tank. He's a brick, yes, but he's giant, his stickers are awesome ("BIG STICK"), and his cannon makes a CHK-CHK sound when you chamber a missile.

e: But he IS green and purple and a giant brick. So I'm sure there's someone out there willing to bitch about it.

ee: I've never regretted spending money on a Transformer like I did on preordering the first release of MP Rodimus. That much money for a toy with that many flaws. Dang did I get burned.

Phy fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 2, 2014

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Phy posted:

There's the G2 green-and-purple tank. He's a brick, yes, but he's giant, his stickers are awesome ("BIG STICK"), and his cannon makes a CHK-CHK sound when you chamber a missile.

e: But he IS green and purple and a giant brick. So I'm sure there's someone out there willing to bitch about it.

He's also the very first NOT G1 ENOUGH Megtron.

My favorites are Cybertron Galvatron and WFC Megatron so what the hell do I know.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Why cookie Rocket posted:

My favorites are Cybertron Galvatron and WFC Megatron so what the hell do I know.
The ability to appreciate something without being slavishly devoted to G1? Capacity to accept change? Good taste?

I do hope for an IDW Megatron of his current body. I really should have bought a WFC Megatron, I do quite like that design.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Spiderdrake posted:

I do hope for an IDW Megatron of his current body. I really should have bought a WFC Megatron, I do quite like that design.

I am trying to pare down to just one mold per character, and it took me a long time to get over my (typical) TF collector size queen mentality and realize that WFC Megatron is (for me) his best mold to date. His original Classics mold is so goddam close to being great, but the lazy "giant wings" shellformer thing is such a huge bummer.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Spiderdrake posted:

The ability to appreciate something without being slavishly devoted to G1? Capacity to accept change? Good taste?

Well there is an upcoming Generations Leader sized Megatron coming out with or a bit after Leader Jetfire, odds are good it'll be the IDW version since Hasbro would have asked IDW to use the new design in all the post Dark Cybertron promo art, covers and what not if he was getting a new look

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TM2 Megatron is boss.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Welcome to my world.

Everyone seems to hate Megatron, but I've never found anyone willing to sell me a used one for a "used lovely toy" price. It's a weird phenomenon.

I sold mine because it was lovely but eBay prices confirmed that there are people out there willing to pay double the original price to find out first hand that its lovely

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Captain Magic posted:

Well, fingers crossed for the Generations Leader Megatron coming up. If it's the IDW design it could be one for the ages.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Out of all Transformers, Megatron can't make up his mind when it comes to his alt mode and appearance. Sure, Prime has gotten drunk and wound up as a hat and a dragon train thing on occasion, but ol' Megs has been having a serious identity crisis for years. The list of things that Megatron hasn't been is probably smaller than the list of things he has. I like it how in the movies and Transformers: Prime, they just gave up and he turns into a spacy cybertronian... thing.

Of course, the same thing sort of applies to Soundwave, too. That's what you get for picking alt modes that don't work past the 80s.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Just make Megatron a hearse. It's dark, kind of evil in purpose and kid-friendly to have as a toy.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

I think a tank is a good compromise between playability, parental acceptability, and his original mode. If he can't be a gun, a gun on treads is close enough, and I always liked the idea of Megatron choosing firepower over mobility. The Decepticons' original trademark was that they could fly, so it's tempting to want to make their leader fly, too, but Megatron doesn't need to fly in alt-mode. He has people to do that for him. I like a tank as Megatron's alt-mode because it's purely an expression of power and intimidation, and that's totally (and literally) how he rolls.

High hopes for the new Leader, especially since it's said to be in his classic grey coloring.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I HATE cybertronian altmode Megatron. It's not anything against cyb. altmodes themselves, they can be cool. But megs always gets lame modes that don't look like anything. I like when they do something cool like Stealth Bomber, Attack Helicopter or even Evil deranged Truck Megatron, but yeah Tank is probably the best choice for a modern G1 Megatron.

Soundwave is a bit hard but it has to be some sort of surveillance or communications vehicle. Although Mercedes Soundwave was pretty sexy. I love the Prime drone SW but it's not something that would work too well for a G1-style SW body.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I always figured G1 Megatron's original Cybertronian alt-mode was some kind of giant flying space gun like Shockwave, but possibly without the flying part since he didn't seem to be able to fly in gun mode on Earth. Kind of like a mix of Soundwave's Cybertonian lamppost and a Death Star turret. A tank is about as good an earth mode as any since we don't really make any non-mobile artillery anymore, if we still made things like early 1900's giant mounted turrets those would be perfect. Really a scaled-up version of the latest legends Megatron would be fine with me for the Generations leader class. Not literally scaled up like the last Beast Hunters guys of course, but just blown-up version of the same transformation.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I liked the Dreamwave Cybertron tank design he had when DW was still around. Maybe make it less puffy.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

I'm really digging the art style shown in the Windblade #1 preview.
Looks like it may be pretty interesting story-wise, as well.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I like Megatron best as a tank too, because as previously stated, a tank is pretty much a big mobile gun. Megatron is a big powerful guy who wants to blow poo poo up and crush his enemies under his heel, and there really isn't a more fitting alt mode than a tank when it comes to that. In fact, after G2 and Armada, I don't know why he didn't just stay a tank.

I really don't like movie and Prime styled Megatrons that turn into a super spiky flying cybertronian thing. They're ugly and don't really look like anything. I get he's supposed to look evil hence the spikes and sharp teeth and all that, but I prefer the heavily armored (and armed) look. A Megatron with a helmet, thick armor, military styling and a big, big gun kind of invokes the mental image of war. I kind of see Megatron as the sort of guy who would sacrifice speed and maneuverability for pure destructive power.

That said, there are plenty of cool Megatrons who weren't a gun or tank. The Animated and Cybertron leader Megatrons immediately come to mind. The Stealth Bomber Megatron is a cool design albeit with a disappointing toy. RiD Megatron is really weird but kinda cool.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I like tank Megatron because it would fit in with his philosophy to fight on the frontlines. I guess the gun mode would've come into play when the war got into its sneakier phase and Megatron didn't want to be the target of everyone's fire. Who's gonna notice another gun on the battlefield?

Then the bomber mode is cool because it's always cool when IDW just does its own thing with no regard to transformers tradition, especially when Hasbro follows suit and makes a toy of it. I would totally buy an Ambulon and Rung two pack.

Prawn Salad
Dec 7, 2010

I-I still think you're cool,
Onii-chan...

Blackheart posted:

Soundwave is a bit hard but it has to be some sort of surveillance or communications vehicle. Although Mercedes Soundwave was pretty sexy. I love the Prime drone SW but it's not something that would work too well for a G1-style SW body.

I still think Creepy White Van is the perfect altmode for Soundwave, and I don't understand why it's never been done before.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Closest thing I can think of is that Shattered Glass Soundwave. That said, HasTak seems to have something against that type of van in general. They've changed Ironhide and Ratchet from vans into pickup trucks or SUVs in all the recent lines, and they haven't made any new characters with that alt mode since what, Energon Towline?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
What's so fun about playing with a box van?