Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Riso posted:

Linux in a nutshell.

Eh actually sold be off Fedora's... whatever they are doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
That isn't even a sentence.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I am actually surprised he is running that poo poo on bare-metal and not in ESXi.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I'm on Ubuntu (Lubuntu 13.10). Is there a way to dump a list of installed packages to a file and then feed that back to apt to automagically get back my programs?

I was actually wondering about something similar a while ago. I use a couple different systems and it's annoying to have to toy around with one system to get something building and then move to another system and have to essentially do it all over again. Ideally what I'd like is kind of a configuration management system. I'd like to mark the current system package state as a "snapshot", be able to play around in a sandbox to figure out what works, then make a second "snapshot" with my changes. Then mark the individual packages changed between snapshots as either "discard" (they are uninstalled from the sandbox), "local-only" (the packages will not be propagated to other machines) or "propagate" (the selected packages and dependencies are pushed to my other machines). Is that something I could do with Puppet or something like that? Or is this too complex for a home user to really do?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 1, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm on Ubuntu (Lubuntu 13.10). Is there a way to dump a list of installed packages to a file and then feed that back to apt to automagically get back my programs?

I was actually wondering about something similar a while ago. I use a couple different systems and it's annoying to have to toy around with one system to get something building and then move to another system and have to essentially do it all over again. Ideally what I'd like is kind of a configuration management system. I'd like to mark the current system package state as a "snapshot", be able to play around in a sandbox to figure out what works, then make a second "snapshot" with my changes. Then mark the individual packages changed between snapshots as either "discard" (they are uninstalled from the sandbox), "local-only" (the packages will not be propagated to other machines) or "propagate" (the selected packages and dependencies are pushed to my other machines). Is that something I could do with Puppet or something like that? Or is this too complex for a home user to really do?

This is exactly what OSTree is supposed to do. No idea of its status on Ubuntu.

You can dump installed packages with dpkg, and reinstall them by feeding it to apt fairly easily. And LVM snapshots are bootable. You could try apt-btrfs-snapshot, too. Once you get a package set, you can add it to a puppet/whatever manifest, sure.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Paul MaudDib posted:

an old blog post, but maybe something like this?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

That sounds similar to what android services do, say like titanium backup. You back up your apps to the sd card, reinstall your latest firmware flavor you like, then use the app to reinstall at least the apps and get back to where you were. With some apps saving their data server side, it seems mostly seemless to get back to where you were.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Riso posted:

I am actually surprised he is running that poo poo on bare-metal and not in ESXi.

Nah I ran it in Workstation for a while, I like it, I have a spare drive so I am just installing it onto that for now. Liking it a lot thus far.

Oh great updated it and my Ethernet and sound card doesn't work, even the ATI drivers installed flawlessly. I blame cheapo HP hardware though.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 2, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Nah I ran it in Workstation for a while, I like it, I have a spare drive so I am just installing it onto that for now. Liking it a lot thus far.

Oh great updated it and my Ethernet and sound card doesn't work, even the ATI drivers installed flawlessly. I blame cheapo HP hardware though.

Did these work before? They're in the kernel. Boot into the old kernel and lspci -k to see what drivers are in use. Do the same on the new kernel. If they're not loaded, load them. If they are, file bugs

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I just installed Ubuntu as a dual boot on my Win 8.1 equipped Lenovo. The laptop is a touchscreen, but it's not working in Ubuntu. What can I do to enable it?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

the posted:

I just installed Ubuntu as a dual boot on my Win 8.1 equipped Lenovo. The laptop is a touchscreen, but it's not working in Ubuntu. What can I do to enable it?

Which Ubuntu and which Lenovo laptop? A quick look at AskUbuntu.com shows the Yoga touchscreen works but people just have issues with touching the tiny icons etc

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Bob Morales posted:

Which Ubuntu and which Lenovo laptop? A quick look at AskUbuntu.com shows the Yoga touchscreen works but people just have issues with touching the tiny icons etc

Um... 12.04? I think? And it's a Lenovo Z400 touch

It's not that I'm having sensitivity issues, there's just literally no response anywhere. The touchscreen is totally not active.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

the posted:

It's not that I'm having sensitivity issues, there's just literally no response anywhere. The touchscreen is totally not active.

Does any of this help? It's for a P400 but a google seach found people with a Z400 with similar issues and I gather they're similar laptops.

Have you noticed the touchscreen start to work after a suspend/resume?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I have an 8GB flash drive. Is it viable to install to the flash drive in windows, and boot up into the flash drive to test some of these distros?

Or do I need a second drive to install from, to boot to the 8gb?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I have an 8GB flash drive. Is it viable to install to the flash drive in windows, and boot up into the flash drive to test some of these distros?

You can install to the flash drive (from windows) and boot from it, check out the instructions for Ubuntu: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

Depending on what you want to do, you could just boot from the "live cd" version of the installer or just use Virtual Box to create some virtual machines. Neither of those would be viable if you wanted to, for example, try out Steam on Linux, though.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I think you're looking for unetbootin

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

I think you're looking for unetbootin

It doesn't seem to natively support the versions I'm using but I assume these should work just fine for booting into a thumb drive.

I had a 32gb which would have been better to use, but who knows where that is :911:

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Don't use the unetbootin dropdown menu to select a distribution, rather point it to an .iso that you've downloaded.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Don't use the unetbootin dropdown menu to select a distribution, rather point it to an .iso that you've downloaded.

Yeah that's what I did. It gave me the option of going for a livecd so I'm just using it that way right now, since it was going to be used from the flash drive anyways. I have no idea if it will wipe settings next boot, but if it does, no biggie.

I don't think it natively supports booting up under usb 3.0 though.

Very snappy, runs fast, looks gorgeous. Doesn't have all the stuff I wish it had though.

MKV/mp3/etc codecs
not sure what video drivers I should use for amd, use xorg or the ones that come on the site? They're fairly new
default music player "noise" or "music"? looks like itunes, doesn't have support for multiple folders, is very slow adding music to the library, just lacking in features in general (but has last.fm)
Has some messaging app that I have no idea what the point of it is. Wish there was a decent mIRC like app that isn't xchat or irrsi
totem music player is serviceable. seems to have issues with displaying subtitles properly.
There doesn't seem to be any right click, nor middle mouse scrolling, and I can't remember if linux doesn't have that or what.
hexchat installs but makes no shortcuts and I have no idea where it is to run it

I do like it however so far, I just don't know of good alternatives. :v:

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 3, 2014

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah that's what I did. It gave me the option of going for a livecd so I'm just using it that way right now, since it was going to be used from the flash drive anyways. I have no idea if it will wipe settings next boot, but if it does, no biggie.

I don't think it natively supports booting up under usb 3.0 though.

Very snappy, runs fast, looks gorgeous. Doesn't have all the stuff I wish it had though.

MKV/mp3/etc codecs
I just install VLC and not worry about codecs ever again.

quote:

not sure what video drivers I should use for amd, use xorg or the ones that come on the site?
Stick to the default unless you feel that a particular application you want to run won't (lacking a feature) or is too slow.

quote:

They're fairly new default music player "noise" or "music"? looks like itunes, doesn't have support for multiple
folders, is very slow adding music to the library, just lacking in features in general (but has last.fm)
Has some messaging app that I have no idea what the point of it is. Wish there was a decent mIRC like app that isn't xchat or irrsi
irssi is nothing like mIRC but if you're going down that route I recommend http://www.weechat.org/ over it.

quote:

totem music player is serviceable. seems to have issues with displaying subtitles properly.
Use VLC.

quote:

There doesn't seem to be any right click, nor middle mouse scrolling, and I can't remember if linux doesn't have that or what.
No right click anywhere?

quote:

hexchat installs but makes no shortcuts and I have no idea where it is to run it
How did you "install" it?

quote:

I do like it however so far, I just don't know of good alternatives. :v:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Longinus00 posted:

I just install VLC and not worry about codecs ever again.

Stick to the default unless you feel that a particular application you want to run won't (lacking a feature) or is too slow.

irssi is nothing like mIRC but if you're going down that route I recommend http://www.weechat.org/ over it.

Use VLC.

No right click anywhere?

How did you "install" it?

VLC is a bit lame but the thing works. At least on windows I "use it when I have to, otherwise use MPC-HC".

Using the live usb, it runs fine, but it seems choppy when moving windows around graphics wise.

I looked at weechat and instead went with Hexchat instead. I don't like gui minimal interfaces when it comes to IRC.

There are right clicks, but not quite in places I would like. I am trying to figure out how to make a shortcut for programs/folders/files. I was hoping things like that were automated to simple menus instead of having to make a symbolic link through the terminal.

I just installed it through terminal, since there's nothing in software center or SPM. When the program ran, it did show up on Plank, so I just locked it to the dock which is ok. I feel that because of the lack of easy to make shortcuts is making me heavily rely on the dock/applications tab.

I also don't see the point of Empathy, and wish I could figure out how to uninstall it and instead install pidgin and have that show up on the "taskbar" whatever that's called. (I think it's called wingpanel?) I also wish I knew how to make wingpanel transparent or edit it.

Looks like I will have to wipe the 8GB and see how much space the live cd takes up on the drive, and gpart just enough for the partition and install to the smaller one, installing back to the same thumbdrive, then resizing the partition containing the linux distro. This would be simple if I just could figure out where the hell my 32GB stick went to, as I'd use the 8gb to install to the 32gb.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 3, 2014

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

GreenBuckanneer posted:

VLC is a bit lame but the thing works. At least on windows I "use it when I have to, otherwise use MPC-HC".
If you dislike VLCs interface you can use one of the plethora of mplayer frontends, smplayer for instance.

quote:

Using the live usb, it runs fine, but it seems choppy when moving windows around graphics wise.
Hard to say if this is a liveusb thing or an actual issue.

quote:

I looked at weechat and instead went with Hexchat instead. I don't like gui minimal interfaces when it comes to IRC.

There are right clicks, but not quite in places I would like. I am trying to figure out how to make a shortcut for programs/folders/files. I was hoping things like that were automated to simple menus instead of having to make a symbolic link through the terminal.

I just installed it through terminal, since there's nothing in software center or SPM. When the program ran, it did show up on Plank, so I just locked it to the dock which is ok. I feel that because of the lack of easy to make shortcuts is making me heavily rely on the dock/applications tab.

I also don't see the point of Empathy, and wish I could figure out how to uninstall it and instead install pidgin and have that show up on the "taskbar" whatever that's called. (I think it's called wingpanel?) I also wish I knew how to make wingpanel transparent or edit it.
These three points are all due to the desktop environment you've chosen. It looks like you're using gnome of some sort so if you wait long enough hopefully the redhat guys that hang out in here can answer your questions. I personally use XFCE so I can't help you here.

quote:

Looks like I will have to wipe the 8GB and see how much space the live cd takes up on the drive, and gpart just enough for the partition and install to the smaller one, installing back to the same thumbdrive, then resizing the partition containing the linux distro. This would be simple if I just could figure out where the hell my 32GB stick went to, as I'd use the 8gb to install to the 32gb.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

the posted:

If you do a lspci -v, or a lsusb -v, do you see the touchscreen listed? I am using a Lenovo Flex15 wiht Kubuntu 13.04, iirc, and my touchscreen was detected, and mostly worked, right out of the box(worked like a left click only mouse, no nifty touchscreen features like scrolling or multitouch).

I believe you should see an eGalax device listed, and if you do a -vv it will give you a features list.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How long should "creating ext4 file system" take? It seems like it's been at 35%ish for the last 10 minutes on my USB stick.

Can it not install to usb via the liveusb or something?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How long should "creating ext4 file system" take? It seems like it's been at 35%ish for the last 10 minutes on my USB stick.

Can it not install to usb via the liveusb or something?

USB sticks are typically very slow once you exhaust its internal buffer. Just leave it for an hour or so and it will probably finish.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Also for installing alongside Windows 8, I literally have to do this to access Ubuntu:

1. Load Advanced Startup Manager
2. Boot into UEFI/BIOS
3. Change Ubuntu to first startup option
4. Restart computer

And I have to reverse the process to get back to Windows 8. A bit annoying.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

For some reason I installed gpt on the 8gb stick, installed the os (which took about an hour or so to complete) but when I go to boot into it, it doesn't show up in the boot list and I can't boot into it.

I'm pretty sure I marked it as primary, do I need to set it as bootable?

edit: i already have the computer set to legacy+uefi

Does it matter at all that I don't have a swap if I have 8GB of ram?

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 3, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

GreenBuckanneer posted:

For some reason I installed gpt on the 8gb stick, installed the os (which took about an hour or so to complete) but when I go to boot into it, it doesn't show up in the boot list and I can't boot into it.

I'm pretty sure I marked it as primary, do I need to set it as bootable?

edit: i already have the computer set to legacy+uefi

Does it matter at all that I don't have a swap if I have 8GB of ram?

I wouldn't worry about swap.

Did it install a bootloader? Is the partition marked bootable?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

evol262 posted:

I wouldn't worry about swap.

Did it install a bootloader? Is the partition marked bootable?

I don't know, I fell asleep and/or wasn't paying attention to what it was saying until it said it was finished.

It seems like it copied the data over properly at least tho.

Can't load up the livedisk and look at it in gparted but minitool partition wizard says it's gpt, ext4, the install took up space and not a whole lot else.

could it be that windows 8 secure boot messing it up? I don't even know right now if my mobo has that, and it's on a separate drive.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 3, 2014

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

the posted:

Does it have a hard kill switch, or even a soft one? Former would hide it from the kernel, latter would just make it not respond to input. Some soft kill switches won't ever turn on without special Windows drivers.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Empathy is essentially an all-in-one VOIP, IM and IRC program. It handles XMPP and other services as well. You can plug the information in just like Pidgin or any other all-in-one IM program or you can do the Single Sign-On poo poo like Gnome-Online-Services does. Gnome's SSO lets you sign in on Facebook, Google and a few other services and it parses it all down to calenders, e-mail and IM programs.

Empathy blows for idling in IRC however, it doesn't close to tray so when you close the window you exit the channel.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I don't know, I fell asleep and/or wasn't paying attention to what it was saying until it said it was finished.

It seems like it copied the data over properly at least tho.

Can't load up the livedisk and look at it in gparted but minitool partition wizard says it's gpt, ext4, the install took up space and not a whole lot else.

could it be that windows 8 secure boot messing it up? I don't even know right now if my mobo has that, and it's on a separate drive.

Secure boot requires signed bootloaders, not that shouldn't be a problem.

I'm guessing it's not flagged. Why can't you get into the live environment? You could find out about the boot loader that way, too...

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Speaking of, what's the Linux alternative to secure boot (ie signed UEFI/bootloader/kernel/extensions) and how well does it work in RHEL?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

evol262 posted:

Secure boot requires signed bootloaders, not that shouldn't be a problem.

I'm guessing it's not flagged. Why can't you get into the live environment? You could find out about the boot loader that way, too...

I'm in the liveusb again, gparted said it wasn't boot flagged. So, I'm installing again.

elementary os' install wizard said there were multiple os' installed it showed up with
/
/home
/swap

I flagged it with boot, then deleted the /swap, made / 3GB, made /home 5GB and selected the drive (sdg in this case) and I'm reinstalling again. Complained about no swap but I ignored it. When I tried to install over the existing partitions made, it complained the / was too small at 2.4 and wanted at least 2.5.

Should I have made a /boot partition or no?

Also: flagging it as boot still did not allow me to boot into it but it showed up as a connected usb key in bios. force booting into it brought up unetbootin (which is on the 1gb thumbstick used for installing the os) asking if I wanted to install elementary (opposed to grub loading up if I picked the 1gb stick to boot into to load elementary). I don't remember if it said it was UEFI or not on the key. Mobo has always been in legacy+uefi and I think win8 is likely using mbr in this state. Secureboot, quickstart, etc have never been on.

Am I just being dumb or is there something I'm missing?

edit: just reinstalled again, will not boot. does not show up in a manual boot list. (you know, like opening up the bios and manually selecting bootable disks) I don't understand.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 4, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Ninja Rope posted:

Speaking of, what's the Linux alternative to secure boot (ie signed UEFI/bootloader/kernel/extensions) and how well does it work in RHEL?

Secure boot? There are signed bits. It works as expected. Also in Fedora, and I'm fairly sure Ubuntu.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm in the liveusb again, gparted said it wasn't boot flagged. So, I'm installing again.

elementary os' install wizard said there were multiple os' installed it showed up with
/
/home
/swap

I flagged it with boot, then deleted the /swap, made / 3GB, made /home 5GB and selected the drive (sdg in this case) and I'm reinstalling again. Complained about no swap but I ignored it. When I tried to install over the existing partitions made, it complained the / was too small at 2.4 and wanted at least 2.5.

Should I have made a /boot partition or no?

Also: flagging it as boot still did not allow me to boot into it but it showed up as a connected usb key in bios. force booting into it brought up unetbootin (which is on the 1gb thumbstick used for installing the os) asking if I wanted to install elementary (opposed to grub loading up if I picked the 1gb stick to boot into to load elementary). I don't remember if it said it was UEFI or not on the key. Mobo has always been in legacy+uefi and I think win8 is likely using mbr in this state. Secureboot, quickstart, etc have never been on.

Am I just being dumb or is there something I'm missing?
You don't need a /boot partition.

Remove the 1GB and try to boot from it. Or ' sudo dd bs=512 count=1 if=/dev/stick 2>/dev/null | strings' to see if grub is present.

I have no idea how well elementary's installer deals with installing on a flash drive. Does it prompt you for where to install the boot loader?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

evol262 posted:

Remove the 1GB and try to boot from it.

Did that, put the device (which shows up as connected, just not able to boot straight into) above any actual hard drives, windows still comes up (or grub on the 1gb)

evol262 posted:

I have no idea how well elementary's installer deals with installing on a flash drive. Does it prompt you for where to install the boot loader?

It basically looks like this for me, except at the values i mentioned, and being flagged for boot in gparted

and it being on /dev/sdg/

I'm stumped.

edit: doing the terminal thing, force booting and removing the 1gb worked.

This is dreadfully slow though, wtf. It was a lot faster on the liveusb for some reason.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 4, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Did that, put the device (which shows up as connected, just not able to boot straight into) above any actual hard drives, windows still comes up (or grub on the 1gb)

It basically looks like this for me, except at the values i mentioned, and being flagged for boot in gparted

and it being on /dev/sdg/

I'm stumped.

edit: doing the terminal thing, force booting and removing the 1gb worked.

This is dreadfully slow though, wtf. It was a lot faster on the liveusb for some reason.

Grub isn't installed. grub-install /dev/sdg?

The liveusb unpacked an ext3 filesystem inside squashfs and mounted it as a ramdisk, probably. Try turning off atime, which might help a bit, but a liveusb with persistent storage (unetbootin should be able to do this) will likely be much faster

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

evol262 posted:

Grub isn't installed. grub-install /dev/sdg?

The liveusb unpacked an ext3 filesystem inside squashfs and mounted it as a ramdisk, probably. Try turning off atime, which might help a bit, but a liveusb with persistent storage (unetbootin should be able to do this) will likely be much faster

How do I do that?

Is this good enough of a guide? http://lifehacker.com/5074959/speed-up-linux-hard-drives-by-disabling-atime/all

Also, I realized now that setting the / folder to 3gb and the /home folder to 5gb was a bad plan. I think I'll change the user folder to say like, 1.5 and root to 6.5gb instead. Can I shrink/resize while in linux or will I just have to boot into another?

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 4, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How do I do that?

Is this good enough of a guide? http://lifehacker.com/5074959/speed-up-linux-hard-drives-by-disabling-atime/all

Also, I realized now that setting the / folder to 3gb and the /home folder to 5gb was a bagoodd plan. I think I'll change the user folder to say like, 1.5 and root to 6.5gb instead. Can I shrink/resize while in linux or will I just have to boot into another?

I mean, I broadly dislike lifehacker. But yeah,g that'll work.

You can't do it as easily as you'd like. gparted may be able to. Otherwise:

parted /dev/disk
rm 2
rm 1
mkpart primary 0 100%
exit
partprobe
resize2fs /dev/disk1
useradd -m -g wheel yourusername

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
I haven't seen it yet so I'll post it here:
:siren:Ubuntu 1 File Sync is going away in a couple months:siren:
Just the file sync and music store though. The SSO and SDK functions are safe.