Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

NikkolasKing posted:

Well as dickish as Ozma can be, after looking into JRPG superbosses, I think the FF series and its fans should be thankful it doesn't have that rear end in a top hat from Digital Devil Saga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb3nIH7E9Z0

:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I just realized that Yuna and Seymour's mom share the same voice actor. Ewwwww.

Just a tip for anyone heading to Baaj Temple to get Anima, make sure your armour for Rikku, Tidus and Wakka have stoneproof on them or you probably won't win the boss fight. If you need petrify grenades, just capture all the monsters at the Dejose Highroad, including an Ochu from the Moonflow.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Yiazmat IS a huge HP sponge, but I don't think it's quite fair to call him "easy." By the end of the battle, he has no charge time on his attacks, he can combo for about 12 hits in a row, he hits hard, and each attack of his combos has a chance to instantly kill you. Unless you cheese him by hiding outside his range or something, the last several bars of his health are going to be a non-stop string of reviving people, with a chance to get an attack in here or there. There's no real time to buff or heal, because everyone will be dropping dead too quickly.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I don't know why they made it so you can only do 9999 damage again in XII. Break Damage Limit was one of the coolest additions to X's gameplay. Being able to do 99,999 damage would certainly have made some of XII's optional fights less tedious I'd think.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
OK, I'm really lazy so can someone just bottom-line for me what I should do at the minimum before going on the final assault on Sin? I just got the Airship, everything I see on FAQs makes it sound like ANYTHING optional I could do at this point would be a time sink and/or impossible, even getting the optional Summons seems like a giant pain in the rear end. I do need tons of AP for Lulu and Yuna but I know I could just get that in the last dungeon before the point of no return, should I just do that?

I don't remember the "right before the end of the game" time period being like this in any other FF. Like, I distinctly remember going into the end of FF7 having done nothing optional at all (except getting Yuffie's ultimate weapon) and it was incredibly easy. Don't remember FF8 or 9 having really hard end areas either.

I had pretty much no problem killing Yunalesca so should I just say "gently caress it" and beat the game? Kinda want to move on to FFX-2 but am stubborn enough to insist on beating FFX first so I can do it the right way.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't know why they made it so you can only do 9999 damage again in XII. Break Damage Limit was one of the coolest additions to X's gameplay. Being able to do 99,999 damage would certainly have made some of XII's optional fights less tedious I'd think.

Yet another reason to play the IZJS version- removed damage limits.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

precision posted:

I had pretty much no problem killing Yunalesca so should I just say "gently caress it" and beat the game? Kinda want to move on to FFX-2 but am stubborn enough to insist on beating FFX first so I can do it the right way.

Just finish it off. If you did all the Cloister of Trials destruction treasures the optional Aeons are easy-peasy to get as is Yuna's celestial weapon since they're intertwined.

Everything else is gated behind incredible time-sinks or abuse of chance or in the case of Tidus a horrifying combination of both.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I always enjoyed that this fight uses the normal battle theme from Nocturne, since while the Demi-fiend is this huge unstoppable monstrosity to you, you're just random mooks to him.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Meiteron posted:

:words: about FFXI

Wasn't the guy initially in charge of XI of the school of thought that all an MMO's mechanics should be hidden behind the scenes and as obtuse as possible so that players could "enjoy" the challenge of figuring it out for themselves? I recall back when I still played, there was still debates on how the crafting mechanics really worked and whether or not the direction you were facing had a legitimate impact on your chances of success or if it was just confirmation bias. :iiam:

I also recall there were occasions where people would manage to figure out ways to get around Absolute Virtue's bullshit (like swarms of Dark Knights zerging with Kraken Clubs), and Square Enix would effectively come back, say, "No, that's not The Right Way to Beat Him," and immediately patch the game to prevent it from working. (Also, if I remember right, their original intention for Absolute Virtue was that it was supposed to be impossible to beat, since the first time it actually was downed, it didn't drop anything since it didn't have a loot table.)

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
The one thing that might help is taking a quick trek to Baaj and playing that boss fight for the potential No Encounters weapon, just so you can breeze through the last dungeon.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Xenogenesis posted:

Sounds like you don't wanna do the optional poo poo. Then don't do the optional poo poo. The one thing that might help is taking a quick trek to Baaj and playing that boss fight for the potential No Encounters weapon, just so you can breeze through the last dungeon.

Its a really, really easy boss. Don't do what I did and save after not getting a no-encounter item not realizing its not guaranteed drop. Its about 50% chance of dropping. If you don't get no encounters reload, beat it again. Getting the item to make it otherwise is a pain in the rear end.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Xenogenesis posted:

The one thing that might help is taking a quick trek to Baaj and playing that boss fight for the potential No Encounters weapon, just so you can breeze through the last dungeon.

Can't I just make a No-Encounter weapon by stealing from Monks?

e: I don't think I ever did any crafting when I first played this game

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

W.T. Fits posted:

Wasn't the guy initially in charge of XI of the school of thought that all an MMO's mechanics should be hidden behind the scenes and as obtuse as possible so that players could "enjoy" the challenge of figuring it out for themselves? I recall back when I still played, there was still debates on how the crafting mechanics really worked and whether or not the direction you were facing had a legitimate impact on your chances of success or if it was just confirmation bias. :iiam:

An aside, but Asheron's Call was actually designed like this initially too. Spells needed to be crafted, but there was no information on what the recipes were. And on top of that, the more people that knew a spell the less powerful it was, so there was actual incentive to keep the spells rare.

Of course, the internet was very different then, pre-wikis and all that. You probably couldn't do something like that now if you wanted to.

LoudLoudNoise
Dec 29, 2008

W.T. Fits posted:

I also recall there were occasions where people would manage to figure out ways to get around Absolute Virtue's bullshit (like swarms of Dark Knights zerging with Kraken Clubs), and Square Enix would effectively come back, say, "No, that's not The Right Way to Beat Him," and immediately patch the game to prevent it from working. (Also, if I remember right, their original intention for Absolute Virtue was that it was supposed to be impossible to beat, since the first time it actually was downed, it didn't drop anything since it didn't have a loot table.)

Well it came out in 2002. Not to try to defend his initial design decisions but MMOs very much weren't what they are today.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

abagofcheetos posted:

And on top of that, the more people that knew a spell the less powerful it was, so there was actual incentive to keep the spells rare.

That has to be the stupidest MMO mechanic I've ever heard of.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

LoudLoudNoise posted:

Well it came out in 2002. Not to try to defend his initial design decisions but MMOs very much weren't what they are today.

True enough.

But didn't he also try applying the same approach to FFXIV?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

That has to be the stupidest MMO mechanic I've ever heard of.
I can at least *sort* of get the idea - trying to keep high-end spells actually feeling like powerful forbidden lore passed down in whispers.

But the reality was probably more like two dudes figuring out a spell, getting mad at each other, and both shouting the spell in every chat and forum they could find.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

precision posted:

Can't I just make a No-Encounter weapon by stealing from Monks?

e: I don't think I ever did any crafting when I first played this game
You can, but you don't want to.

Purifying Salts are a rare steal; 30 are needed to customize No Encounters. Fight the easy sideboss with a 50% No Encounters drop rate that has no dungeon attached to it instead.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
The point of the No-encounter weapon is two-fold: one, its the easiest way to get no-encounter, and two, its the only way to get no-encounter on a weapon. Normally, no-encounter is armor only.

W.T. Fits posted:

The bit about crafting was never really in doubt: only people who didn't understand statistics thought that moon phase/direction of crafting/elemental affinity had any effect on crafting. However, there were mysteries which remain unsolved to this day, or took years to figure out. The Foolkiller, had a latent effect on it (basically it gains a special attribute during certain times, but the game didn't tell you). That weapon was adding in mid-2007~ and no one knows how to activate the latent to this day. Basically, if you weren't JPN (most of the truly difficult to solve puzzles were figured out when the developers published magazines detailing a bunch of different secrets from XI), you could only figure out stuff with extensive testing.

Systematic System fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 3, 2014

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Xenogenesis posted:

Purifying Salts are a rare steal; 30 are needed to customize No Encounters. Fight the easy sideboss with a 50% No Encounters drop rate that has no dungeon attached to it instead.
Oh poo poo, I just fought that guy and totally forgot about the weapon for some reason. At least I never really planned on getting Lulu's celestial weapon anyway. Yuna has way higher magic too so once you have her learn the better spells, there's no reason to use Lulu all that much.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Xenogenesis posted:

Holy poo poo, you weren't kidding about how easy that guy is, Rikku killed him with like 5 Fire Gems, hahaha.

Also, the weapon I got No Encounter on was a Rikku weapon, is it random?

I'm gonna do some more monster hunting because I just did the Besaid hunt and holy poo poo, you get 99 of the item that only requires ONE OF to put +30% HP on armor. :stare:

I am no longer worried about Yuna and Rikku's low HPs.

Celery Face posted:

Oh poo poo, I just fought that guy and totally forgot about the weapon for some reason. At least I never really planned on getting Lulu's celestial weapon anyway. Yuna has way higher magic too so once you have her learn the better spells, there's no reason to use Lulu all that much.

I got lucky and got a Cactuar drop for Lulu that has Magic Boost, +10% Magic, +5% Magic, and an extra slot I put One MP Cost on. It's practically a Celestial Weapon.

(Her spells still do less outright damage than Yuna, but hey, I don't have INFINITE Black Magic Spheres...)

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

precision posted:

One thing I noticed in FFX is that Wakka, Rikku and Yuna say "ya know?" a lot, ya know?

I'm going to assume it's a translation of "ne"? I've never paid that much attention to the Japanese audio for the game.

It's probably a translation of 'ne' or colloquial equivilents. Wakka's supposed to be a bit of a jock (in the Anime stock character sense) and a bit of a hick so his particular sentence ending particles would probably be different from Rikku's. I never played the game in Japanese so I can't be sure, though I was tempted to pick up the local (Korean) version which might have English audio and Japanese subs.

FFX's translation is better than VII or VIII, but it sounds like it was written by a 1st year grad student literally translating it line by line. Of course, given the shoddy nature of translation during the era, it might have been.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
FFX's translation and VA direction is honestly a lot better than I would have expected/remembered, especially given how everything else at the time sounded.

Pretty much everyone makes sense and sounds conversational. Yuna's stilted way of speaking is not great, but it also makes a certain amount of sense with her character basically being in constant doubt and overthinking things. Tidus' "young" voice is definitely a bit annoying, but his "older" voice is great and I wish it were used the whole game. Wakka is... okay. Lulu and especially Auron are fantastic; the former because she's no-nonsense and doesn't have any bizarre lines, the latter because it almost sounds like his dialogue was written to be in English in the first place, and the VA for him totally nails it.

Rikku is a mixed bag; there's no doubt Tara Strong is great, but I think her translation suffers in some parts. The whole bit where she's talking about how her boobs aren't as big as Lulu's is kind of :stare: ; not just because she's supposed to be, what, at least 16 or 17? She's old enough to... know how that poo poo works. And it's also funny because you can tell the translators toned down what she says to be less risque and kind of ambiguous, but it only makes it sound more weird and creepy. Other than that, she's great.

Kimahri no talk much. Him not problem, not so great. Much like him stats.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

So is there a list of all the poo poo you should do in the Remaster/int version? (I'm big noob)

I.E I know there are sigils you wanna get before Dark Aeons start spawning in front of them, also something about needing to backtrack to get one of Auron's overdrives?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

LoudLoudNoise posted:

And people wonder why industry figures thought that the ceiling for a game was roughly 1 million subs before WoW.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Volt Catfish posted:

So is there a list of all the poo poo you should do in the Remaster/int version? (I'm big noob)

I.E I know there are sigils you wanna get before Dark Aeons start spawning in front of them, also something about needing to backtrack to get one of Auron's overdrives?

The main thing to make sure of is doing all the destruction spheres as you first enter the temples. If you don't some of them get gated off behind otherwise optional bosses that can be a pain if you try to backtrack later. You can also get one of Auron's overdrives much easier and earlier than normal by back-tracking right after fighting Spherimorph, though one is all the way back in Besaid so you need to jog quite a ways. On the overdrive front, if you want to waltz through the game you can also get Attack Reels super early if you're up for a little Blitzball. Other than that, what immediately pops to mind is making sure you get all of the Al Bhed Primers when you get to Home and Bevelle-- they can be permanently missed if you go even a room too far. I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable FF nerds in the thread have more things to mention, but that's what I remember from my several playthroughs of the original and my one of Remastered.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

precision posted:

Rikku is a mixed bag; there's no doubt Tara Strong is great, but I think her translation suffers in some parts. The whole bit where she's talking about how her boobs aren't as big as Lulu's is kind of :stare: ; not just because she's supposed to be, what, at least 16 or 17? She's old enough to... know how that poo poo works. And it's also funny because you can tell the translators toned down what she says to be less risque and kind of ambiguous, but it only makes it sound more weird and creepy. Other than that, she's great.

When the heck was this conversation? I remember a great chunk of X's plot and dialogue but I have no memory of this so I must have somehow completely missed it. (I doubt I'd forget an exchange like this, although it is rather common in anime/JRPGs)

quote:

Kimahri no talk much. Him not problem, not so great. Much like him stats.

BIRAN REND YOU ASUNDER!

Hoffadoff
Sep 27, 2008

I Wanna Rock Your Body
(till the break of dawn)
So dodging lightning on the vita version is becoming a pain in my rear end. Its the last trophy I need for the plat and it's pissing me off. I remember this being much easier back in the day on my ps2.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

NikkolasKing posted:

When the heck was this conversation? I remember a great chunk of X's plot and dialogue but I have no memory of this so I must have somehow completely missed it. (I doubt I'd forget an exchange like this, although it is rather common in anime/JRPGs)

I can't find a clip of it (granted, I only did like 90 seconds of searching YouTube for "Rikku boobs Lulu" and "Rikky jealous Lulu" before seeing a bunch of things I can't unsee) but I want to say it's... somewhere after the Thunder Plains, or around there?

I found it, and also found out Rikku's only supposed to be 15 because of course she is. I'm sure Tidus is supposed to be like 16 and Lulu just turned 18 or whatever. :suicide:

I hate that I looked this up posted:

Rikku: I'm sure Yunie's okay. She's breathing fine and all. How are Lulu and Wakka?
Tidus: Mmm...Well, Wakka's in shock. Can't blame him, either. And Lulu, well, she's just the same as always.
Rikku: She's so together. All grown up, I guess. (gestures like she's making a push-up bra with her hands)
Tidus: I guess.
Rikku: Well, just give me five or six more years.
Tidus: So, Kimahri, how do we get out of here?
Rikku: (Bops Tidus) Hey, don't change the subject!
Kimahri: We climb.
Rikku: Kimahri, too!
Kimahri: Only those who try will become.
Rikku: Huh?
Tidus: I think he means you have to work hard if you want to be like Lulu.
Rikku: Oh! I will!
Kimahri: Kimahri think Rikku should stay Rikku.
Rikku: Huh? Hey! Are you saying I'll never be like Lulu! Kimahri!
(Laughs)
Wakka: How can you laugh at a time like this!?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Iunno, it seems like Rikku was just making a cheap boob joke like a lot of 15 year olds would and the rest of the conversation was about the 'so together' thing.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kimahri and Wakka are the same VA. Seriously what is up with the other Ronso though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

precision posted:

I can't find a clip of it (granted, I only did like 90 seconds of searching YouTube for "Rikku boobs Lulu" and "Rikky jealous Lulu" before seeing a bunch of things I can't unsee) but I want to say it's... somewhere after the Thunder Plains, or around there?

I found it, and also found out Rikku's only supposed to be 15 because of course she is. I'm sure Tidus is supposed to be like 16 and Lulu just turned 18 or whatever. :suicide:

Okay that's exactly the scene I was thinking of. I didn't remember the hand gestures though. From your post I figured she had some line like "drat! I wish I had THAT!"

But yeah, I also just took it as Rikku wanting to grow up to be all mature and collected like Lulu. If X-2 is any indication...it ain't gonna happen.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 3, 2014

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

precision posted:

Tidus is 17, Lulu is 22. Kimahri is, bafflingly enough, 25.

Also Seymour is 28 while Yuna is 17. Yeah...

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

You gotta figure the average life expectancy in Spira is pretty low however. The only "old people" in the game are already dead.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Kenshirou blew through like a storm one winter's evening and life in Spira was forever changed.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

You gotta figure the average life expectancy in Spira is pretty low however. The only "old people" in the game are already dead.

"Shtay away from the sum mer ner!" But point taken.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I just started on FFX HD and Titus' face really bothers me, did anyone else feel that way? It's like a doll with really creepy eyes.

Also I think I remember being spoiled by buff spells actually being worth a drat in FF13, are any aside from haste worth it? I seem to remember not really using them last time I played X.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

I just started on FFX HD and Titus' face really bothers me, did anyone else feel that way? It's like a doll with really creepy eyes.

I called my Tidus "Meg Ryan" for my first playthrough.

IcePhoenix posted:

Also I think I remember being spoiled by buff spells actually being worth a drat in FF13, are any aside from haste worth it? I seem to remember not really using them last time I played X.

Buffs are actually pretty useful in X. The buff abilities can be used to stack buffs up to 5 times and they last till the end of the battle. I can't remember if they last on characters who are KO'd + revived, you'll usually have to re-cast Haste at any rate.

Cheer at the start of the game is really good, it should boost your strength enough to get some Overkills on most enemies which will net you more sphere levels. Aim is a favourite of mine for the mid-game as it lets Auron/Kimahri swat fliers like a pro.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It's also real obvious they're basing their english dialogue from the Japanese lip-movements. Aside from Yuna saying 'yes' like someone punched her in the gut I'd swear the acting gets twice as good the second the speaking character and therefore their lips aren't on-screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Bussamove posted:

The main thing to make sure of is doing all the destruction spheres as you first enter the temples. If you don't some of them get gated off behind otherwise optional bosses that can be a pain if you try to backtrack later. You can also get one of Auron's overdrives much easier and earlier than normal by back-tracking right after fighting Spherimorph, though one is all the way back in Besaid so you need to jog quite a ways. On the overdrive front, if you want to waltz through the game you can also get Attack Reels super early if you're up for a little Blitzball. Other than that, what immediately pops to mind is making sure you get all of the Al Bhed Primers when you get to Home and Bevelle-- they can be permanently missed if you go even a room too far. I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable FF nerds in the thread have more things to mention, but that's what I remember from my several playthroughs of the original and my one of Remastered.

The only thing I'll add to this list is grabbing the Sun Crest towards the end of the game, after Yunalesca and before the airship (which is to say, right after Yunalesca). If you backtrack there after getting the airship, you have Dark Bahamut in your way.

Valefor's second overdrive is also in Besaid and potentially locked off by Dark Valefor, but honestly its usefulness drops off after you get other aeons anyway, so if you're late enough for Dark Valefor to be in the way then you're late enough for it to not really matter.