Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I have to say this confirms another thing in Garrett's interview. He referred to Kass as a bit of a dumbass and kind of all over the place. I thought that was his one moment of sour grapes but it was soooooooo accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?
I really hope this season continues to be insane and unpredictable. They did an amazing job at casting this season. Watching people overplay is so much more fun than watching smart play.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
This season reminds me a lot of Gabon, with shifting alliances/no one running the show, ridiculous people, and one person (Sugar/Kass) basically trolling everybody else for fun.

And to think they were worried about the season being boring because of all newbies. :argh: I really hope the success of this season means we stop getting so many returnees.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Yup. It ruined those season(s) because it turned out to be an automatic trip to the final 3. Of course, this was before they invented vote-splitting so there's always the possibility that it wouldn't be as broken now, if the other players feared it enough. You probably would still have incentives to bandwagon rather than balance against the Tyler Perry idol, though.

Not true. F6 in Panama had the best, most epic vote split to date.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Could someone define what vote splitting is? Is that where you think someone might have the HII so you have your alliance send votes to two different people? Wouldn't that only work if you had a double numbers advantage?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Kin33 posted:

I really hope this season continues to be insane and unpredictable. They did an amazing job at casting this season. Watching people overplay is so much more fun than watching smart play.

It can be fun, but it would also likely lead to a lousy winner. I'm holding out hope someone like LJ or Spencer can recover and make a strong case for winning.

Speaking of LJ, it's getting lost in the shuffle but that second idol play was a lousy read. He already has pretty good cause to believe it's not Tony since the whole Tony announcing his idol lead to them switching targets. Even if the vote is on Tony and the whole thing was an insanely well coordinated pre-planned ruse he's still got Trish's Kass play and low odds of using the idol on the right person. Better to hold it and risk Tony going home. First sign of LJ looking human we've seen, he's been the frontrunner the whole season.

Poor Spencer. Dude is trying so drat hard but he's chained to this group of lunatics. Hopefully this is enough of a run to get him an All-Stars appearance, I'd love to see what he could do with better people to work with. I'll be shocked if he isn't out next.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I forgive LJ for the dumb idol play because it may just create a bromance between Tony and him, which I would find hilarious.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

BGrifter posted:

Poor Spencer. Dude is trying so drat hard but he's chained to this group of lunatics. Hopefully this is enough of a run to get him an All-Stars appearance, I'd love to see what he could do with better people to work with. I'll be shocked if he isn't out next.

Spencer did nothing of note this whole season, except winning a vote against a crazy person. He is great in counting votes ("we have 6 they have 5, we win") but I did not see any great gameplay from him beyond having the numbers and not pulling a stupid move. He had Kass flip on him not once but twice, which is not really the sign of a great player, he voted out David at the first tribal because he was a "threat down the road" which, as always, led to more tribals for his tribe.

But his edit is incredibly good so he might come back because clearly the producers like him.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Narcissus1916 posted:

Could someone define what vote splitting is? Is that where you think someone might have the HII so you have your alliance send votes to two different people? Wouldn't that only work if you had a double numbers advantage?

For any number of reasons, vote-splitting makes the vote go three ways.

Most recently, it's been an at-least-slightly-dumb way of trying to flush an idol that may or may not exist, while ensuring that your group is safe. It requires both a double numbers advantage and absolute trust in far too many people. It can work, and it can also go terribly awry (see: pre-merge HvV).

The one I mentioned in Panama was much tighter since only a total of six people were involved. It went 3-2-1. 1 was crazy and kept out of the loop, so that vote was a throwaway. The 2 thought they were voting with the majority. The 3 hatched their plan last minute in order to blindside one of the 2. It was glorious, which is why idiots have tried to imitate the strategy ever since.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I can't believe how dumb Kass is. Not only did she switch out of her top spot on the tribe with the most votes, thus guaranteeing that she won't win if she somehow gets to the finals, not only is she now the bottom of her new alliance, but now she is the obvious target to get rid of at next tribal council. The "top 5" alliance get to stick together and still have their numbers advantage, meaning they can vote for her freely. She is the most dangerous threat to switch tribes and cause a tie. The alliance she betrayed needs to get rid of one of the top alliance and it might as well be the person who they were betrayed, meaning they can also vote for her freely. I can totally see a situation in which Kass receives 9 votes.

Piell fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Apr 3, 2014

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Propaganda Machine posted:

Not true. F6 in Panama had the best, most epic vote split to date.

Sorry, I meant vote splitting specifically to flush out the idol, which Cirie's move while brilliant was not really its intended goal.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Sorry, I meant vote splitting specifically to flush out the idol, which Cirie's move while brilliant was not really its intended goal.

Ahh. I mostly think it's dumb. You need however many alliance people not to be idiots, and you also need your opposition to be dumb. Too many x factors.

Fiji gets poo poo on, but it has the single best idol flush ever, followed shortly by the first effective idol use. I loving love post-merge Fiji.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Um you guys aren't giving Kass enough credit. That wasn't one of the worst moves in survivor history at all.

It was literally THE worst. At least Erik locked down a promise that he wasn't going home when he gave up his necklace. Kass didn't even try to make a deal for top three when she flipped, was literally just, "Hey Kass, wanna flip?"

"sure gently caress it why not I hate winning survivor."

:D

Best season. (ever?)

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

GaussianCopula posted:

Spencer did nothing of note this whole season, except winning a vote against a crazy person. He is great in counting votes ("we have 6 they have 5, we win") but I did not see any great gameplay from him beyond having the numbers and not pulling a stupid move. He had Kass flip on him not once but twice, which is not really the sign of a great player, he voted out David at the first tribal because he was a "threat down the road" which, as always, led to more tribals for his tribe.

But his edit is incredibly good so he might come back because clearly the producers like him.

He had Kass flip on him twice because Kass is so unpredictably stupid. I don't think he can be blamed for not considering that Kass would jump from top 3 guaranteed to the bottom of 6 person alliance; what she did was so dumb there was no predicting it, especially since Spencer wasn't around to see Kass flip out at Sarah. I think Tasha probably should have said to Kass explicitly at some point that "we are doing what Sarah wants because we need her vote just this once", though it was so incredibly obvious that it's unbelievable that Kass didn't pick that up anyway.

As for Spencer and David at the first tribal, he had no choice. The numbers were against him. His options were to try to convince everyone to change their votes (and thus be seen as controlling; a huge mistake so early on) or to draw rocks. Either option was crazy talk, so he went with the flow.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Vote splitting to flush out an idol was first conceived of by a shaman in Cao Boi's dreams in Cook Islands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzbRmfOwIt8

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

torgo posted:

I don't think she was siding with Sarah as much as just trying to smooth things over.

What Tash said:
:shrug: I think Sarah makes a good point.

What Tash meant:
:ssh: Be quiet Kass, we need her on our side.

What Kass heard:
:smug: Sarah is our new leader and Kass is the bottom!

It's awesome even with all the ego Sarah showed, Kass' ego turned out to be the bigger problem for Aparri. Why couldn't you just shut up and let the important swing vote have her way?
Well yeah, I was acting like Kass did with that post, hence the :cry:

Kass is bad

BGrifter posted:

Just finished the episode. On a season with an idiot like J'Tia and a quitter in Lindsay, Kass is the worst player on this season by a country mile. That's easily one of the dumbest moves in the history of the show. Erik in Micronesia levels of stupid. Dear god I don't even know where to begin.
I don't know if she can be the worse player because she was at least normal enough to skate into the mid game this season, but that's the single worst move I've seen in a long time. Worse than Tyson voting himself out, worse than James being voted out with two idols, because it was just so inexplicably selfish and petty, it blew up her game and all her allies' games. I'm not sure what move in Survivor history compares to this

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 3, 2014

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

Erik must be thrilled to finally not be the dumbest survivor ever.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I wonder if we'll see Trish get the credit she deserves

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.
I find the thread's lack of Morgan boob gifs from last night's episode disturbing.

Mackay
May 28, 2006

Arrr.

GaussianCopula posted:

Completely agree. It was particularly stark this episode, where he declared that he was going to 'make sure his team knew they had to stick together' or somesuch, and then completely vanished for the entire episode while Tasha and Jeremiah(!) did all of the alliance-wrangling, strategic reasoning, and attempted damage control for the alliance. The whiny outburst when things didn't go his way after he did absolutely nothing to help was icing on the cake.

This has been an absolutely spectacular season - the best one I've watched in real time (I started watching during Nicaragua so it's not a super high bar, but still). But the editing's indulgent and loving focus on Spencer has me dreading that we'll end up with an unsatisfying winner who is sorely lacking in strategy and charisma compared to other season winners.

Then again, Trish managed to redeem herself for me in a single episode with her display of perfect insight, timing, and execution of the Kass flip. Spencer still has plenty of time to do something worthwhile.

I had no idea what was going to happen this episode, and I have no idea what is going to happen next. What a great season :neckbeard:

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
This season has been amazing - one of best in a long time. Also, thank god for that because hopefully it means Jeff/CBS/whoever will back a little off the "we need returnees every season" mentality and realize all new player seasons are still great if they get the casting right.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

Spencer would probably be eaten alive in a normal season, let alone one with star players so I really wouldn't want to see him return. I just think a lot of people have latched onto him because he seems reasonable and charming and has yet to make any fantastically stupid plays.

Tasha is another, I'd like to see a bit more of her.

btw: Have we gone a single episode without at least one hilariously terrible play? Really feels like every time I watch I get a new rendition of "Survivor: Race to the Bottom!"

Context
Sep 11, 2006

GaussianCopula posted:

Yep, and the fact that he's still got the air of some kind of mastermind (partly because he is a young male) means Kass had no chance of winning against him at the FTC. The smartest play for her would've probably been to stick with the 6 then hope she could make some kind of move to get Spencer voted out toward the end, but I think cruising to the final 3 with the Brains tribe would've put her in an even worse position than she's in now.

That said, I think her decision in this episode was purely emotionally driven, but her worst move so far was keeping Spencer over J'Tia.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Spencer, to me, seems like the perfect #2. He's an underrated asset in challenges. He's not going to rock the boat. He's smart enough to pick up on things but not savvy enough to actually undermine whoever the #1 is and he seems just arrogant enough that he'd dig himself a hole at final tribal.

He's not a Survivor master, but he's far from what some people here think he is. I think a good percentage of what's viewed as incompetence by him is just due to the awful situation he was stuck in. It's like that wrestling analogy about HHH. He's an 8 being pushed by some here as a 10, so the rest think he's a 6.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

blue squares posted:

Yeah, I agree with this. She's grating but she recognized that Kass was on the outside and offered her a safe place, which is exactly what Kass needed. Her current group wasn't making her feel like a member (though most of that is on Kass for not recognizing that Tasha et al were just placating Sarah) so she jumped. Trish helped that a lot. #chaoskass

Wren610
Oct 25, 2010
Kass is a complete moron. Spencers overrated also big props to Trish she sniffed out the flip vote LJ and Tony may be fun tv but really that tribal council win was all Trish oh if Morgan isn't next gone i'd be shocked her edit consists of only two things right now and i'm gonna miss them when they get voted off next.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Lone Goat posted:

Last time they did this challenge (FvF 2) they never went to the top of the triangle.

Reynold appreciation station

Also this is the best season holy poo poo

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

HUMAN FISH posted:

Reynold appreciation station

Also this is the best season holy poo poo

god drat would I recant everything I've said about returning player seasons to get Reynold again.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Fast Luck posted:

I don't know if she can be the worse player because she was at least normal enough to skate into the mid game this season, but that's the single worst move I've seen in a long time. Worse than Tyson voting himself out, worse than James being voted out with two idols, because it was just so inexplicably selfish and petty, it blew up her game and all her allies' games. I'm not sure what move in Survivor history compares to this

Oh come on. Any move that has you remain in the game has to be better than one that directly gets you voted out.

As to comparable moves, maybe Shambo flipping to Foa Foa in Samoa? Shambo isn't a terrific role model though I suppose.

E: oh and Candice inexplicably flipping to the Villains in HvV. That was unquestionably worse.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Sith Happens posted:

I find the thread's lack of Morgan boob gifs from last night's episode disturbing.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

blue squares posted:

She definitely won't, which is a shame. She flipped Kass just like she flipped Tony and that will get ignored again because she has an unfortunate mouth.

Adjunct Cheesecake
Mar 19, 2009

mmmmmm
Have any of the remaining survivors this season not made an absolutely terrible decision yet?

Half-kidding yet half-serious, I'm starting to think that Jefra is a mastermind who knows better than to ever say anything around these people.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I think it's hard to call Kass's move "the worst move in Survivor history," just because she had no pretense that what she was doing was a smart thing. People like Tyson and James and Erik thought they were doing something good strategically; Kass explicitly said she wanted to set out to ruin everyone's game before Sarah could. Kass badly misread her position in the game to get to that point, but once that happened, she's not even playing Survivor anymore. And thus, #ChaosKass is born

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
Except that I think Kass is delusional and actually thinks she is making a great move, because wow, "nobody was expecting me to poo poo things up so bad for myself."

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Juanito posted:

Except that I think Kass is delusional and actually thinks she is making a great move, because wow, "nobody was expecting me to poo poo things up so bad for myself."

I love that she completely forgot about the whole "top 5" thing from Tony last week. Like, what position does she really think she's in with that group?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Yeah, people were talking about Kass-as-a-goat and I don't think anyone in either group needs one badly enough that they'd risk keeping Kass in the game any longer than they need her.

That did get me thinking: If someone does drag Kass to the finals, it could be one of the most remarkable jury performances from both a finalist and from a jury. A jury with no pretenses about how much they hate someone who screwed them over for no reason + a finalist who is completely unfazed by that. It'd be like if Sherri had actually done anything post-merge in Caramoan

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

It's possible she doesn't even consider herself with them. My guess is that she expects her side's reaction to be, "wow, we are so sorry we ever defied and dissed Kass. Please, Kass, forgive us. Take us back."

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

:aaa:

That's the one I expected to see!

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

blue squares posted:

It's possible she doesn't even consider herself with them. My guess is that she expects her side's reaction to be, "wow, we are so sorry we ever defied and dissed Kass. Please, Kass, forgive us. Take us back."

Yeah, if she wants to continue to have any shot at advancing beyond the F6 (or getting to the F3 without being dragged), I imagine she envisions herself more in a Rob-in-Amazon type position, where both alliances need her vote and she flips when the time is right. Except I can't remember the last time anyone actually successfully did that in Survivor, and that completly blindsiding people you plan to reunite with seems like a bad approach. Being in the center turns you into Sarah (or Dolly, or Christy) more often than it works in your favor, even if you aren't loathed by half of the players already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James315
Dec 17, 2006

315 [Mp 40] everyone
Kass' decision was shockingly bad, but we shouldn't overlook how bad Sarah's play was. Tony was right when he said Sarah should come over to their side. If she stayed where she was, she was at the bottom of a 6-member alliance, plus Kass was already against her. If she flipped to Tony's side, she would've been on the inside of the alliance. After wiping out Kass' tribe, the four Brawns could've voted out LJ & Jefra. Then they could get rid of Woo and they're in the final three (assuming Woo didn't win immunity).

• Locked thread