Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Oldstench posted:

Frankie Knuckles died. Sucks.

Yeah it sucked alot. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013
I've recently returned my Arturia Keylab 61 (several errors, 2nd one I tried) and I need advice about what which midi-keyboard I should get.

Thanks for the suggestions - I've decided to get the Roland.

I need the following:
  • Aftertouch (doesn't need to be poly).
  • Exactly 61 (semi-)weighted keys.
  • At least 8 encoders, faders and drum pads.
  • Okay build quality.
  • Weight doesn't matter, it'll be moved tops a few times - most likely by car.
  • Price: approx. 500 USD. Can be more if there's a good reason for it.

I want:
  • Mod and pitch being controlled using wheels.
  • Handy encoders - infinite with some really smart way of showing the current state (for instance: lights on each encoder or a screen showing all the encoder-states at once) or finite.

I don't need (but these might be nice to have):
  • Extended integration with any major DAW as my main DAW is Renoise.

I'm currently considering the following midi-keyboards:

Don't suggest the Novation 61 SL Mk II.

Edit: forgot to add mod/pitchwheel

Edit 2: closed

TZer0 fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 2, 2014

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Novation Impulse 61?

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Novation Impulse 61?

I'm kind of skeptical to Novation in general, I've tried the 61 SL Mk II which is supposed to be their expensive "flagship" and it was rather bad (keys were good though).

I was therefore wondering if you could tell me anything about the feel and build quality of the components - how do the keys, faders, drum pads and encoders behave?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Axiom Pro 61? (Not the air)

I have the 49 key of that and it's been great.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
The Launchpad is built like a tank, but the Novation Zero SL MKii that I had was like a toy, and it broke quickly.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

TZer0 posted:

I'm kind of skeptical to Novation in general, I've tried the 61 SL Mk II which is supposed to be their expensive "flagship" and it was rather bad (keys were good though).

I was therefore wondering if you could tell me anything about the feel and build quality of the components - how do the keys, faders, drum pads and encoders behave?

I have a Nocturn controller and it's been fantastic, so the only thing I can vouch for are the encoders and Automap (which I presume are identical to those on the SL). As for the keys, pads etc I don't know.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

renderful posted:

The Launchpad is built like a tank, but the Novation Zero SL MKii that I had was like a toy, and it broke quickly.

I had one of the huge novation keyboards and while I was out of the house for the night my roommate got smashed, opened my door, pissed on it, and closed the door again.

That's my story.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

TZer0 posted:

I'm currently considering the following midi-keyboards:
This fella often gets dismissed on account of the lack of mod/pitchwheels, lack of advanced DAW integration and sometimes the price. If none of that is a major point for you (and I'm guessing it isn't, considering it's still on your list), just go ahead and buy it. There's nothing else wrong with it. It may not have some of the seemingly spectacular features of some of the others, but it delivers solidly on everything it promises.

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013

Flipperwaldt posted:

This fella often gets dismissed on account of the lack of mod/pitchwheels, lack of advanced DAW integration and sometimes the price. If none of that is a major point for you (and I'm guessing it isn't, considering it's still on your list), just go ahead and buy it. There's nothing else wrong with it. It may not have some of the seemingly spectacular features of some of the others, but it delivers solidly on everything it promises.

Oops, forgot to add the fact that I want actual wheels for that.

So basically, I've got this:
The Axiom does mod/pitch right, but encoders seem kind of meh.
The Roland does encoders right, but has a mod/pitch-stick.

If you've tried the Roland, how sensitive is the stick? Will I frequently tweak the pitch while adjusting mod or vice versa?

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Akai MPK/261?

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/namm-2014-akai-introduces-new-mpk-midi-controller-keyboards-591995/1

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

TZer0 posted:

If you've tried the Roland, how sensitive is the stick? Will I frequently tweak the pitch while adjusting mod or vice versa?
Thankfully no. The springs in it are fairly stiff.

My annoyance with the stick is that you can't leave modulation at any other value than zero. This is mostly solved by mapping the leftmost encoder to transmit modulation values, to use if you need to dial in a static value.

The problem with this stick isn't that it isn't well made or unusable or anything. It's that most people are a lot more familiar with and generally prefer wheels. If this were your first and main keyboard, it wouldn't need to be a downside.

Now, if you want wheels, I don't blame you and you should certainly look at the other suggestions and preferably see if you can get some hands on experience with some of them.

I was just saying that if the stick didn't bother you in particular, the Roland is a solid option. I'm really wondering on how many sales Roland is missing out because of it, by the way.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Stay away from M-Audio!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The Blofeld I bought from Your Dead Gay Son just arrived. This thing's awesome! I've heard it's easy to program, but I wasn't expecting it to be this easy. Going to have tons of fun with it :dance:

I don't own a cat to put on it, but here it is with a tiny rabbit-shaped speaker:

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013

Flipperwaldt posted:

My annoyance with the stick is that you can't leave modulation at any other value than zero.

Agh, that sounds annoying. Makes me kind of unsure. If it was just a stick without auto-zero for mod, it would've been okay.

It looks great, but locally that one is closer to 750 USD (and no, I can't import it, it'll cost more or less the same).

Edit: ordered the Roland.

TZer0 fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 2, 2014

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

TZer0 posted:

Agh, that sounds annoying. Makes me kind of unsure. If it was just a stick without auto-zero for mod, it would've been okay.
This is the underside of the same type of stick in an old Edirol PCR-30:

You can pretty easily and non-destructively unhook the vertically pulling spring to disable the auto-zero for mod. I haven't bothered with my A-800 Pro and I'm not saying it solves everything (pitchbending while keeping the modulation at 50% or something would still be hard to do), but it's definitely something you could give a shot.

If it really doesn't work out for you, you can use the software to make the stick not transmit modulation ccs at all and buy a midi pedal for that.

EDIT vvvvv Obviously. I even mentioned that's what I did earlier.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 2, 2014

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Flipperwaldt posted:

If it really doesn't work out for you, you can use the software to make the stick not transmit modulation ccs at all and buy a midi pedal for that.

Or you could set up one of the several faders/knobs on the A800Pro to send modulation CCs.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just bought the 32-key version (I'm gonna be so broke), and god drat. I tried it out in the store first (something I didn't get to do with the dreaded SL MkII), and while the knobs felt fantastic, the sliders were extremely loose. Kinda felt like someone just put a lego on top of the controller without even gluing it to anything. I suspected it might be wear, so I asked them to open a brand new one to check and I gotta say wow, the fresh ones actually felt really nice. The pitch/mod-stick isn't a problem either, as there's basically no chance you'll introduce pitchbend when you're just trying to modulate (in stark contrast to that controller). I actually like the keys more as well, they're a lot springier which I guess some people don't like, but having no prior experience with pianos it suits me fine. Add the fact that it actually fits my desktop and I gotta say I'm happy with the purchase :neckbeard:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

:kimchi:
Wavetable editor, fun tables done with Audio-Term.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Which reminds me I still have got these online:

Fixed Waldorf Blofeld CC list (the one in the manual has got some errors)
TB-303 and Xoxbox inspired square wave wavetables for the Blofeld
Collection of Saw wave wavetables for the Blofeld

Last two don't really optimally make use of the amount of information you can cram into a wavetable; it just morphs gradually between two waves per preset. The sysex is per preset, but you need the wavetable editor to change which preset position they go to.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

New Luke Vibert release incoming. Yeah this is the synth thread, not music discussion, but holy poo poo Vibert is forever linked to the 303.

https://bleep.com/release/50748-luke-vibert-ridmiks

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

renderful posted:

New Luke Vibert release incoming. Yeah this is the synth thread, not music discussion, but holy poo poo Vibert is forever linked to the 303.

https://bleep.com/release/50748-luke-vibert-ridmiks

!!!

Luke Vibert is almost the entire reason I started making music

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So the A-300 is really neat but I've already hit a snag :(

Anyone here using it with Ableton? It's... not behaving. The encoders emit whacko data screwing with whatever midi learn I try to do whenever they're not at 12-o'-clock, and the sliders are all emitting pitchbend (?!). This is, of course, using Roland's own Ableton "preset" (control map). The control map 0 (Sonar ACT Map) is the only thing I've gotten to work properly (the knobs and sliders emit MIDI CC), but it can't be edited and it doesn't do transport control properly.

I wish I could see how the control map 0 is doing the MIDI CC, because I haven't found out how to do it yet. I'm guessing you might be able to do it with the "Free Message" type data? The only thing I've seen using it is the aforementioned pitchbend sliders E0 DT through E8 DT.

edit: There's a thing titled "Control Change" in the "Channel Message" menu and I just didn't see it until after I posted :downs:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 2, 2014

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I think the factory presets focus on controlling your DAW's mixer. For controlling plugins a generic set of CCs is better.

You've probably got it figured out by now, but just download a preset with working transport controls to the editor and change the function of all the knobs and sliders to CCs and save it over one of the presets you'll never use.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
This is random even for me, and there's a variety of other videos on the channel that I've not yet watched that are also perhaps as good or better than this one, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knsR0-vGYYk

Motohiro Kawashima, of Streets of Rage 3 fame among others, generally Doing Stuff on an AKAI Professional MPD 32 at a recent event---it was pretty slick I reckon.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
So I tried to make some music, and then this happened.

https://soundcloud.com/sjoewe/cosmic-love

Do I need to go and see some sort of therapist now?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sjoewe posted:

I feel like I just beat a Super Nintendo game.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Sjoewe posted:

I dig it. What's up with the vocals? What effects?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Just went live with my TB3 and TR8 for about an hour; meant to post this but hit the post limit - oh well, the recording is saved at least.

http://mixlr.com/centurion-beats/showreel/because-gently caress-you-thats-why/

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 3, 2014

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Mister Speaker posted:

Just went live with my TB3 and TR8 for about an hour; meant to post this but hit the post limit - oh well, the recording is saved at least.

Woah, hold on a sec. Is that a Herbie Hancock Rockit beat coming in around 14.20? That's a crazy thing to have as a preset beat.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

renderful posted:

I dig it. What's up with the vocals? What effects?

Thanks. The original sample was pretty processed already, but I ran it through some reverb/delay/chorus and then slapped an ancient vocoder VST called Orangebox on it.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I'm thinking about picking up a Volca trio. This is probably a dumb question, but if I'm going to sync all three to Ableton, do I need three MIDI cables (one for each unit), or just one MIDI cable to one unit and then two sync cables to the others?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

surrender posted:

I'm thinking about picking up a Volca trio. This is probably a dumb question, but if I'm going to sync all three to Ableton, do I need three MIDI cables (one for each unit), or just one MIDI cable to one unit and then two sync cables to the others?

If all you're looking for is syncing the other two Volcas to Ableton's MIDI clock, yes, the sync cables will do just fine. The first volca will send the MIDI clock it gets from Ableton to the other ones. However, that's the ONLY thing the sync cables will do, so if you want to sequence the other two Volcas via Ableton, you'll need a MIDI cable for each.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

If all you're looking for is syncing the other two Volcas to Ableton's MIDI clock, yes, the sync cables will do just fine. The first volca will send the MIDI clock it gets from Ableton to the other ones. However, that's the ONLY thing the sync cables will do, so if you want to sequence the other two Volcas via Ableton, you'll need a MIDI cable for each.

That really should be enough, thanks! I'm still living overseas, so I want to build a very lightweight jam setup. I'm leaning towards buying the Volcas and routing them into Ableton via my interface (Komplete Audio 6) for effects and recording.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'm pretty happy with my Volca Beats for the time being. It takes a few minutes to set the levels but the bass is pretty nice. I don't really get the complaints about the snare.

I might pick up a Rhythm Wolf or TR-8 depending on which one shakes out in the next few months. I really want something with discrete outputs for the kick and hats but whatever.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

Just listened to this, thought it was cool. Did you have external drum loops as well via Ableton?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
^ Yes, I have two tracks of some stock drum loops synchronized to the clock from the TR8. Some of them are still slightly out-of-time, swung etc.; I need to do a bit of editing. Thanks for listening!

Sizone posted:

Woah, hold on a sec. Is that a Herbie Hancock Rockit beat coming in around 14.20? That's a crazy thing to have as a preset beat.

See above. Sorry, that was kind of misleading - it's not just the TR8/TB3, I have some stuff going on in Live as well.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

I'm pretty happy with my Volca Beats for the time being. It takes a few minutes to set the levels but the bass is pretty nice. I don't really get the complaints about the snare.

I might pick up a Rhythm Wolf or TR-8 depending on which one shakes out in the next few months. I really want something with discrete outputs for the kick and hats but whatever.

Have you heard A/B with the stock snare and the snare from a modded Volcabeats? It really is much better, at least if you believe people with soldering irons on YouTube. The stock sound is clipped or something.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

ejstheman posted:

Have you heard A/B with the stock snare and the snare from a modded Volcabeats? It really is much better, at least if you believe people with soldering irons on YouTube. The stock sound is clipped or something.

No but I checked it out and that's pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Okay so I'm sitting on some euro and a major move is rapidly approaching. If anyone wants a 104hp Sound Modular case, a Polivoks VCF, a Doepfer exponential mixer, and an a-190 midi-to-cv as a bulk deal (or interesting trade) I'd probably do a pretty drat good discount.