Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Kotobukiya "For Some Reason..." syndrome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Get some Hanzo Steel for your gundam
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=TOY-RBT-3597-S001&page=top
Katana re-release

Seeing these made me realize I dont have the Musha Gundams for some reason. Are they okay kits?

Now im kinda bummed i missed out on this one

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 3, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
They're both OYW Gundams underneath the armor, so they're pretty solid. You need to do a lot of painting to make the armor look nice though.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

are these scaled to 1/100th or 1/144th?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
There's clearly something wrong with me, or I just like the GaoGaiGar mechs too much. Just paid ebay prices for SRC GekiRyuJin. I loving hate Bandai's stupid online exclusives. :argh:

At least now i'll finally be able to do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9WHTflLv4s

Edit: Oh, and for anyone who wanted to get SRC GaoFighGar, pre-orders got sold out within 5 minutes on every major website, so enjoy the prices of those skyrocketing on ebay/amazon. :v:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I think it's finally time that I got an MG Nu ver Ka, as well as that off brand funnel set. I'm curious though, for anyone who has them, do the funnels allow an infinite funnel conga? I'm thinking of making something daft.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

S-Alpha posted:

I think it's finally time that I got an MG Nu ver Ka, as well as that off brand funnel set. I'm curious though, for anyone who has them, do the funnels allow an infinite funnel conga? I'm thinking of making something daft.

There's a photo that showed up here a month or so ago that had one with a giant loop of funnels. I can't find it thought, but I'm sure someone else knows what I mean.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Broken Loose posted:

Mainly because digital camo is incredibly bad at its job and looks tacky to boot.

So do giant robots? Kinda missing your point.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Wouldn't digital camo on a mobile suit be worse? The different shapes and colors are supposed to break up and hide natural lines and so forth. But in the scale of the mobile suit shown wouldn't some of those colored blocks be pretty huge as to then become easily noticeable?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
It makes about as much sense as Zimmerit, i.e. "none but it looks cool" (note: may not actually look cool.)

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
nevermind

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 4, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

After five months of reminding my Secret Santa to actually send my gift (RG GP01, which is coincidentally the one RG I didn't actually want), I finally just told him to keep the drat thing. I guess I've invented time travel because my 2013 Christmas just got ruined. :toot:

Adding to the hilarity, the only reason I got paired with the dude was because the guy arranging everything (a friend of mine I chat with very often) somehow completely forgot about me and had to throw me together with a latecomer. Even he doesn't know how that happened.

EDIT:

In slightly less whiny news, man gently caress the nub placement on the MG GX's feet.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 4, 2014

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I always used to think undergate sprues were a pain in the rear end, but at this point I kind of wish they were the norm. De-nubbing the 3.0 was a harrowing experience.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

And with that, I now have all three Tallgeese. :)

Here's a bonus shot of my PG GP01 in a new pose because why not:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The one on the left is the newest one right? How old are the other 2 and does the rightmost weapon come with that effect part?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Fauxtool posted:

The one on the left is the newest one right? How old are the other 2 and does the rightmost weapon come with that effect part?

Yes, it is the newest one(and it does come with that effect part), but it's also a third party kit - Bandai has yet to make a MG Tallgeese III. MG Tallgeese I came out January 2013, and TGII came out shortly afterward as an online exclusive.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
BlitzBlast, you can stop worrying. It's been officially announced that The Gouf R35's getting an entirely new mold

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Mr. Ral: So badass that Bandai makes an entirely new mold just for him.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

All of the Turn A kits are getting a re-release to welcome HGCC Turn A. Unfortunately they all suck, but if you really wanted a 1/144 Kapool then here's your chance.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

All of the Turn A kits are getting a re-release to welcome HGCC Turn A. Unfortunately they all suck, but if you really wanted a 1/144 Kapool then here's your chance.

is the Kapool really that bad? :ohdear:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

everythingWasBees posted:

is the Kapool really that bad? :ohdear:

It's a 90's 1/144 kit. They are ALL that bad.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's literally only three runners, it was made in 1999. Like all old kits you can make it look decent with some painting (gunpla has always been pretty great with surface detail), but if you want to do anything with it you're out of luck.

Here's a video review.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

It's literally only three runners, it was made in 1999. Like all old kits you can make it look decent with some painting (gunpla has always been pretty great with surface detail), but if you want to do anything with it you're out of luck.

Here's a video review.

With some improvement to the articulation, that seems like it'd be a really cool kit, to be honest.

I might pick one up. It's a light kit, right? So shipping on it shouldn't be all that bad?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

BlitzBlast posted:

Here's a video review.

That actually looks surprisingly good, which is weird

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well don't forget we all just have ridiculously high standards for gunpla now. :v: Honestly most of the 90s kits are actually pretty alright if you put the work into them, they're just not in the same ballpark as the stuff we have today.

Painting on the V2's legs isn't done yet, but I decided to put everything together to see how it looked.

It's alright I guess. Really glad Bandai made the hardpoints separate pieces this time, makes it way easier to line them in red. They're not included in these shots because the glosscoat is still drying.

And then I just grabbed the closest HG and stuck its upper half on. In what should probably be completely unsurprising if you know me at all, it was the HG GX.

EDIT: V It's in backlog hell.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 5, 2014

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
What happened with that 00 custom someone was doing?

Wanted to put some of my own ideas out there for feedback and suggestions. You know how Sinanju was a Gundam style suit refitted to a Zeon/sleeves aspgetic? I'd like to do that to another kit. Maybe turn Reborns/1.5 Gundam into a monoeye. Still trying to figure what I want on the back, maybe a modified second MS mode or mount the Dark Matter booster to it.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I always wanted to re-Gundam the Gerbera Tetra.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Well don't forget we all just have ridiculously high standards for gunpla now. :v: Honestly most of the 90s kits are actually pretty alright if you put the work into them, they're just not in the same ballpark as the stuff we have today.

Hey, don't make me go get the HG Freedom review out again just to prove you wrong :v:.

Incidentally, anyone got a spare $50,000 for a 1/60 Red Astray made out of polished brass and natural emerald? :shepspends:

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hey, don't make me go get the HG Freedom review out again just to prove you wrong :v:.

Incidentally, anyone got a spare $50,000 for a 1/60 Red Astray made out of polished brass and natural emerald? :shepspends:

Only if I get custody on weekends.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Your review was right out of the box. The only thing you'd prove is that you didn't read what I wrote. :v:
Also the SEED kits came out after the 90s.

Broken Loose posted:

I always wanted to re-Gundam the Gerbera Tetra.

The Gerbera actually looks barely like the GP04, you'd be working off the GP01 and GP01 FB more.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I'll take an older, simpler but basically sound kit like the Kapool over an up-to-date piece of poo poo like the HGUC F91 any day o' the week.

edit: VVV to call it "toylike" would be an insult to your better toys out there. It's badly proportioned, badly designed, badly sculpted. It's bad.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 5, 2014

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Wait, what's wrong with the HGUC F91? I don't remember hearing anything bad about it, I was planning to get it soon.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

HGUC F91 is fine, Bimmi's just really angry with it because he really likes the F91 and wanted it done absolute justice.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010
I have an HGUC F91 and I'm quite happy with mine. It's a fairly solid, articulated kit with a nice spread of accessories and requires very little paint to look good. My only gripes with the one I own are the ankle guards falling off and the VSBRs tend to pop if you pull them out by the tip (which you shouldn't do anyway). It's also a minor annoyance to swap out the face and shoulder fins, but it's a high grade and I never expected it to swap over without extra parts and I find it silly that some people are angry about that.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I don't think anyone will be really fully satisfied with an F91 kit until the PG comes out in thirty years never. There's just too much poo poo going on and the suit is too small for a 1/144 or even a 1/100 to really do it justice. Then again, I probably would've said that about the Unicorn too, so what do I know.

(Do it Bandai. It's what we all want.)

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Not until I get a PG Gouf and a Gouf Custom parts kit.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The Muffinlord posted:

Not until I get a PG Gouf and a Gouf Custom parts kit.

Isn't that basically what the HY2M Gouf was? (Once upon a time I had the chance to get an HY2M Rick Dom, but I passed it up for a PG Strike. I've never stopped kicking myself for that choice.)

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I had no idea this even existed, but now that I've heard of the Hyper Hybrid Model series, I think I'm going to have to convince my wife to let me have this.

http://www.amazon.com/Gundam-HY2M-MS-07B-Glorious-Series/dp/B000LRZFKC

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

HY2M is 1/60, but it's not even comparable to the PG line. They're closer to Mega Size, only replace "simple construction" with "holy poo poo there's so much wiring". Seriously the inner frame is less an inner frame and more swiss cheese so they can run wires through the whole thing.

S-Alpha posted:

Then again, I probably would've said that about the Unicorn too, so what do I know.

Both HG and MG Unicorn are pretty bad actually. They both have really lovely systems for the tonfas, the psychoframe is very hard to see without silver backing, articulation/balance isn't really the greatest on either, the HG doesn't have a camera on the back of the head (and speaking of the head it has one of the loosest ball joints I've ever seen), and the MG is of course hilariously poorly proportioned.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

BlitzBlast posted:

HGUC F91 is fine, Bimmi's just really angry with it because he really likes the F91 and wanted it done absolute justice.

I don't get "really angry" at plastic, but the HG is hot garbage and the Robot Damashii fig whips it soundly in every possible area.

edit: except for materials, alas: the RD is very much an action figure and not something I'd want to try my hand at sanding/painting/modding.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 5, 2014

• Locked thread