Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
So how do I get a code off Desura to get my dom4 in steam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

So how do I get a code off Desura to get my dom4 in steam?

The code you get from Desura works on Steam.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
My trouble is finding out how to get that code from Desura, like where on the website do they let me click a button to get a code.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

My trouble is finding out how to get that code from Desura, like where on the website do they let me click a button to get a code.

Quick picture tutorial, I'm assuming you managed to find your way to the game page, from there, click "play game"

after that, click "view key"

(pictures because the view key thingy is surprisingly evasive.)

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Thank you kindly!

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

crossssspost

garth ferengi posted:

Okay, I've been sick as hell the past 2 days, so I've been loving around with trying to port awesomegods to dominions 4. I've finally finished it to the point where I feel like I may as well throw it out there for people to try out/yell at me over, so I'm making a game in each age for it!

There'll be 2 thrones per player, with 75-80% of them required for victory, with 15 provinces a player, and as many players as we can get in the next week or so. All player skills welcome, etc etc, don't pick a domkill nation unless like 3/4 of the other nations have been taken

The mod is probably incredibly inconsistent and balance is probably as much of a mess as it seemed to be in awesomegods, so feel free to yell at me to fix it, my steam and email are in my GGS account details and I'm modpud on IRC.

I'll incorporate any feedback and update the mod one last time before the games actually start.

http://www.brainwrinkle.net/games/138

http://www.brainwrinkle.net/games/139

http://www.brainwrinkle.net/games/140

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21409916/awesomeishgods.dm

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Aw yeah, Awesome Gods rules.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I downloaded the Ogre Kingdoms mod the other day, and their dom works pretty much exactly like Mictlan: dying religion and blood sacrifice. Problem is, I'm a little fuzzy on how it all works. I get that my temples do nothing by themselves, and that I need to be sacrificing nerds all day erry day, but where exactly should I be doing this? Frontlines only, or in as many provinces as I can?

In other words, say I've got a guy in my capital province doing sacrifices, and both that territory and all the ones adjacent to it are at max dom, will the temple checks I just generated be wasted, or will they spread farther out, into whichever provinces aren't maxxed?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Temple checks are never wasted, they will keep going outward until they find somewhere to settle or get cancelled by enemy dominion.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
So I'm a massive scrub, what kind of spells should I be looking to research for mid/late game Niefelheim? I'm playing my second game with them, easily crushed Arcosephale with N9E4 giants but now I have Atlantis left with a billion troops in their tiny 6 underwater provinces or so.

I'm already construction 6 and got a national hero that's helping me crank air barrels to send giants down there but I'm not really sure what else I should be researching before taking the plunge (last time I did that against one of the new water nations, they ripped me apart with like 300 lion mermaids). I hear wooden warriors is good and I do have a few guys with Astral so I can probably throw some luck in there as well but what else would be useful? I imagine I can stick with blessed giants or maybe try to gear up some SCs but I'm pretty terrible at that too.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
School of sharks , cast school of sharks 50 times.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

jsoh posted:

School of sharks , cast school of sharks 50 times.

School of sharks/shark attack for chaff. Quickened water elementals (make water bottles) are pretty much kings of the ocean so if you can make some of those you will not be easily pushed aside.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Personally I just cast Sea of Ice and let them to rot.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

TheDemon posted:

Personally I just cast Sea of Ice and let them to rot.

Sometimes they have a throne to make them relevant though so you actually have to pay attention to the sea.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I was singing the Firefly theme song and I got to the lyrics "Boil The Sea" and it occurs to me that would make a bitching spell to cast, either global or province attack.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

dis astranagant posted:

Temple checks are never wasted, they will keep going outward until they find somewhere to settle or get cancelled by enemy dominion.
Good to hear. Also, a follow-up: do I want multiple blood hunters in high pop provinces if I can handle the unrest?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Good to hear. Also, a follow-up: do I want multiple blood hunters in high pop provinces if I can handle the unrest?
Can do, yeah.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

Doctor Schnabel posted:

What's the cutoff for a high pop province, +8k? Is it worth it to spread out a few hunter to the smaller provinces or should you just be focusing on the big catches?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ClothHat posted:

What's the cutoff for a high pop province, +8k? Is it worth it to spread out a few hunter to the smaller provinces or should you just be focusing on the big catches?

5K is the magic number. You get a penalty for less than that but far as I know there is no bonus for having a lot of population.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Since we're on the topic of blood hunting, what's the best way to get your slaves to the main pool? Is it worth building a lab in each province? Should you have the hunters go to a lab to drop off their slaves and then go back to hunting? Do you build a commander to go from hunter to hunter to drop off new slaves at a lab?

Also, how do you deal with unrest generated by bloodhunting? Do you hunt for short periods of time and then patrol it away with chaff? Rotate among provinces so you never raise unrest too much? Keep hunting and have a dedicated patrol force? Ignore it?

Basically, how do you get your blood economy rolling? And once you do what is a good investment for those slaves?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Remote troop summons are good for patrolling. Like whatever the spell that makes 40 black hawks with a leader or whatnot.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

GMarshal posted:

Since we're on the topic of blood hunting, what's the best way to get your slaves to the main pool? Is it worth building a lab in each province? Should you have the hunters go to a lab to drop off their slaves and then go back to hunting? Do you build a commander to go from hunter to hunter to drop off new slaves at a lab?

Use scouts to ferry between the province and the nearest lab.

quote:

Also, how do you deal with unrest generated by bloodhunting? Do you hunt for short periods of time and then patrol it away with chaff? Rotate among provinces so you never raise unrest too much? Keep hunting and have a dedicated patrol force? Ignore it?

You can ignore it with 2ish B1s+SDR hunting. Unrest will stabilize around 100-130. Once you run out of provinces to put 2 guys, you can pull out patrollers and start stacking them deeper, particularly on larger provinces which can handle the pop loss for longer. Call of the Winds and horde from hell are good for maintenance free patrolling.

quote:

Basically, how do you get your blood economy rolling? And once you do what is a good investment for those slaves?
If you have national blood spells, there's usually a good one in the mix. Otherwise, Rain of Toads is always a great use of slaves. Can also do things like infernal disease, ritual of the five gates and other higher level demon summons.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

jsoh posted:

Remote troop summons are good for patrolling. Like whatever the spell that makes 40 black hawks with a leader or whatnot.

If you do this, make sure to hand the actual hawks off to a regular commander and use the boss hawk with his flying to shuttle blood slaves around.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
OK, De Dana is updated to version 0.2!

Changelog etc.:

- New Fomorian sprites (thanks to that terrible immortal Agarthan-only pretender whose name I forget for the colours)
- Fomorian Spearmen now require D3 rather than D4. Gem and research requirements have stayed the same.
- Added a Reanimated Fomorian Druid (D1H1, 2x100% D/W) at Conjuration 6 and 20 gems, as a flavourful alternative to the Spectre, without Ethereality or Astral access, but Sacred.
- Hermit cost increased from 30g to 75g
- New H1 Fir Bolg Priest added, 55g
- Added Black Dogs and Barghests to the faction's spells
- New national copies of some of MA Ermor's undead power/protection spells added, but they require research, and the nation doesn't get any priests over H1 natively, so your prophet, and/or some high-level summons are required to make the most of it.

Also cleaned up a couple of the references so that you can use the Mobility! version totally standalone, there were a couple of entries that linked to the base version of the mod due to being a dolt.

Also changed Fine de Dana to Fennid de Dana for Less Terrible Irish reasons. Ceannfort changed to Rigfennid.

Do tell me if the new spells make the faction broken or not, they're yet another thing I worry about with the mod, but the versions that are widely available are pretty cumbersome to use except for self-buffing (and are small-area spells so they won't help out any undead communion you manage to fashion).

Normal version
Mobility! version

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 3, 2014

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Champion A Ur postmortem:

That was a horribly frustrating game for me, where for the last 20 turns it seemed like I was on the brink where one wrong move or unseen twist could push me away from ever being able to come back. I never built a second fort - just never had the gold to, from so much of my money going into Shamans. My pretender died and resurrected three times, twice from disease, but she was absolutely instrumental to early wins against hatwer's Ulm and then taking the second to last throne with flying. I had no way of fighting Abysia's devil-blobs except through sheer alpha strike with massed freeze heart and lightning, but thankfully that ended up not being necessary. If any - any - of my thrones had been stolen out from under me then the game could have been out of reach.

Everything came down to one last battle against EA Ulm for the final throne. 7 Enkidu Shamans, 1 Entu, just over 20 Enkidu warriors, and about 70 gems between all of them, against a twice as large army of Ulm Shamans and N9D9-bless Steel Warriors with something like 35 PD. I had far more forces than that, but the game had to end NOW, there wasn't any time left. I scripted 20 Maws of the Earth across my five Shamans with earth boots, they start going off on the third turn when the enemy gets in range. Ulm PD dies by the dozens each turn, but then the scripting and earth gems run out and the Enkidu Warriors and Steel Warriors meet in the middle. Lots of earth melds on both sides to keep everyone in a moshpit, but my fur-wearing spearmen break under the pressure. At this point there are only the Shamans standing in between my Entu (who must survive to claim the throne) and the Regen+Deathweapons Steel Warriors, and then something truly magical happens...

The Steel Warriors are stopped in their tracks by bugs.

An endless stream of these insects are pouring out of my Shamans every turn, and they are coming out faster than the Conans can kill them all. Like some Iranian human wave attack, they are just clogging up the gears on the Ulm war machine with their guts, tiring out their opponents and hitting them for 1 or 2 damage at a time, most of which gets regenerated, but the afflictions spiral out of control. After something like 40 turns of this, the tide turns and what few warriors are left standing are on the run. Then, all I had to do was one Claim Throne order, and the game was done.

GG to TheDemon, Juvenalian.Satyr and Hatwer. I'm relieved this game is over, but I'll be ready for the finals.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 3, 2014

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really enjoyed this game to the bitter end, even as I knew it was over when the Annunaki took the throne next to my cap as I had none of my troops situated to face her down. All my devil stacks were out of range and even my lich queen who could have maybe given a hail mary only returned to my cap thanks to dying defending a province against Mictlan.

I was running something of a gimmick with the Soul Contracts but it worked really, really well, and the Death component from my Lich Queen allowed me to supplement my expansion with spectral infantry and, the hope was later, diversify through Death and Blood outside of just fire for the mid and late game. However real life interfered and I staled at least once, and was pushed all the way back to my cap by Mictlan.

Most of my provinces being tiny and awful, I never really go the blood economy going really in earnest but somehow I managed to push really far back and I was pretty proud of that much at least. I did learn a lot about how to structure my blood economy, and MA Abysia remains one of my favorite nations to play because of their flying Demonborn mages. It wasn't optimal, but that wasn't the point.

I could tell that both Mictlan and Ur were focusing their forces upwards and making it such that I had more success than perhaps my means warranted, and I didn't have a very good long term plan other than preparing my Ritual of the Five Gates machine and building my infrastructure (about two forts were going to go up before long and I was building a chaff army for what little that was worth). I felt that this was probably the game where I had the most legitimate success, if nothing else, and learned the most.

Thanks to all the players for it, especially MrBims for being dastardly and stealing the show pretty cleverly. As TheDemon said, everyone ended up tough as hell bastards who refused to die.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
ChampionsA I built my Mictlan build specifically for what I expected, which meant W9 B8 jags for cutting through Abysia armor / Ulm armor / Giants.

This worked great vs Abysia and I was able to rush him to his cap with just two stacks of jags, less than 40 total. I could have finished him, except on the other side of the map I was fighting Ulm, and W9 B8 jags just really loving sucked against N9 D9 Steel Warriors. I couldn't touch them at all with their 30+ effective hitpoints and they sustained a long fight much better than jags do. Fire Res from a throne didn't help either since I had committed to Ench early. So that let Abysia get back into the game while I lost several ~90 jag armies up north and then I couldn't come back.

Well played to Ulm, Abysia, and Ur for fighting hard the whole game, and some really good strategies.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

TheDemon posted:

I couldn't touch them at all with their 30+ effective hitpoints and they sustained a long fight much better than jags do.

I figured out early on what the solution to it would be - Polymorph. Yeah, you're still sacred, you're still blessed, but now you're a pig!

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

MrBims posted:

I figured out early on what the solution to it would be - Polymorph. Yeah, you're still sacred, you're still blessed, but now you're a pig!

Even if I had gone Alt first (on Mictlan no less) I would have never made it to Alt 8 or Alt 7 for the lesser version.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Could I get some Mictlan starting army/scripting help? I tried a couple test fights with this:

But it obviously sucks since a) I immediately cringed when my commander caught an arrow to the face thanks to the guard commander guys and b) Barbarians wiped everyone out the next fight.

Should I try getting more jaguars before I pick fights? Is it ok using my tribal king as prophet or should I do something else? What's the proper use of the guard commander trick to disrupt formations? How do I effectively use Mictlan's horrible, horrible regular soldiers?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
DomNoobs shenanigans! For some reason every single person in the game had been ignoring mercenaries, and all five groups were sitting around at LARRY'S MERCENARY EMPORIUM, WHERE PRICES ARE SO LOW WE MUST CRAZY TO FIGHT AND DIE FOR THEM!

Cue the start of a war and me buying all of them to instantly raise an entire army from thin air complete with sappers immediately next to an enemy fortress.

All bought for the low low price of about 150 gold!

Moved one province over, broke the walls instantly thanks to the sappers, stormed the fortress.

Still got some left for more shenanigans!

Don't forget your mercenaries kids! And if you must, definitely don't forget them to the point that even the poo poo nation making 300 gold a turn after upkeep can afford to buy the entire roster.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Det_no posted:

But it obviously sucks since a) I immediately cringed when my commander caught an arrow to the face thanks to the guard commander guys and b) Barbarians wiped everyone out the next fight.
Guard Commander is totally fine, although your current Guard Commander script is likely to drag a bunch of missiles through your slinger formation. You can have the commander and the GC troops completely off to one side, that's fine for expansion.

Sometimes you take an unlikely arrow to the face and die. That's Dominions!

quote:

Should I try getting more jaguars before I pick fights?
Depends on the fight.

quote:

Is it ok using my tribal king as prophet or should I do something else?
Typically you use the scout as the Prophet and start to blood sac straight away for EA/LA Mictlan, I guess for MA the King is a fine pick?

Usually you'd get a Priest and some Jags to go with, but that might be The Extremely Dom 3 Meta with the Holy point changes.

quote:

What's the proper use of the guard commander trick to disrupt formations?
There's not that much to it - archers will keep firing at whatever was closest at the start so long as it's not totally dead or routed, same as troops set to Attack Closest, you use that to drag them in (especially in the case of archers, since they'll try to maintain range and get pulled closer to your main line) and beat the poo poo out of them.

quote:

How do I effectively use Mictlan's horrible, horrible regular soldiers?
Mictlan's regular soldiers are actually really good!

Almost nobody else gets such good troops for 9g. Buff them up with all manner of things (other than Earth, tragically), lead them with such good commanders everywhere that their morale is almost always 10+ even without a Feathered Warrior to act as a handy corporal, even just have them on hand to crack forts and nothing else, whatever. You're missing out by going "MICTLAN IS JAGS AND EAGLE WARRIORS ADD A BLESS THIS IS MICTLAN" rather than exploring them.

Their 9g/2r Spear/Sling/Shield guys are really easy to mass and very useful. Most slinger troops are completely unarmoured and fall back on a dagger for the same res cost, if I was Arco I would love my Slingers to be not totally worthless poo poo before Flaming Arrows and still horribly vulnerable to counterbattery fire thereafter.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Yes, the trick with mictlan is to remember that you are really, really strong all the time

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Det_no posted:

Could I get some Mictlan starting army/scripting help? I tried a couple test fights with this:

Should I try getting more jaguars before I pick fights? Is it ok using my tribal king as prophet or should I do something else? What's the proper use of the guard commander trick to disrupt formations? How do I effectively use Mictlan's horrible, horrible regular soldiers?

You can't script the same for every fight. In fact good expansion means knowing the ins and outs of every indep type and using that knowledge to select the right targets in the right order, rescripting and even merging armies as appropriate.

Barbarians: Slingers full rear on fire closest, commander just behind, hold and attack on the jags as far back as possible.
Archers: The archer draw works, but it works best using an indep commander as they come with a shield. I wouldn't recommend it with a Tribal King. If you must do this, also attack with your starting scout so when your commander runs there'll still be another "commander" on the battlefield. And as said, you should position your non-draw slingers where they won't get peppered as you withdraw.

For archers as Mictlan, you can just line formation your slingers at the front on Fire Closest and since they're shielded it's unlikely archers can really touch them. More attrition, but less variance in how the battle goes.

Side note: You have dom7 on mictlan, I assume having only 6 jags in your starting army, that might not have been a good idea. If you can get that to dom8 or dom9 you will have an easier time early game, even if you have to sacrifice bless to do it.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I guess I'll follow the trend and toss up a Champions D postmortem:

2.5 bless Warriors of the Five Elements are ridiculously awesome. From turn two onward I was sending out an expansion party every turn, which quickly got me enough territory and income that I could take on both Ashdod and Yomi. Ashdod attacked first, and while his stack of giants was able to wreck PD, 30 Wot5 and some blockers absolutely shredded them. That was effectively the end for Ashdod. Yomi was a lot tougher since he had time to get some Dai Oni geared. Three of them were able to hold off 100+ infantry and Wot5, so I split up armies to take the provinces he didn't have Dai Oni in. Flaming arrows let me eradicate anything else of his but were useless against fire-immune Dai Oni. Victory was still inevitable with 80% of the map under my control. Eventually I was able to pump out enough Wot5 and Demons of Heavenly Rivers that Yomi fell.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Thoughts on a single point of Air on Dragons in return for two bad scales in LA?

I'm increasingly liking it in single-player testing. Keeps you extremely safe from crossbowmen firing into melee, which are pretty much the only problem an SC pretender has early on.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

jBrereton posted:

Thoughts on a single point of Air on Dragons in return for two bad scales in LA?

I'm increasingly liking it in single-player testing. Keeps you extremely safe from crossbowmen firing into melee, which are pretty much the only problem an SC pretender has early on.

Don't you need like 2 or 3 points because dragons have reduced magic in stuff that isn't their element?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Flame112 posted:

Don't you need like 2 or 3 points because dragons have reduced magic in stuff that isn't their element?
No.

You enter the battle in your mage shape, Air Shield, change shape to the Dragon, and attack. You retain the shield. Later on you can cast Mirror Image by the same principle, although that's probably not as worth it with only A1.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Abusing guard commander archer pull is an eyeroller for me. Just set a guy up front to get shot to death and leave it at that and give someone else the "promotion" next battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

Abusing guard commander archer pull is an eyeroller for me.
"Abusing".

quote:

Just set a guy up front to get shot to death and leave it at that and give someone else the "promotion" next battle.
Shame that's much less effective.

• Locked thread