Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!

The MR2 Spyder had 4-lugs? In 2000? Huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Propaganda Bob posted:

The MR2 Spyder had 4-lugs? In 2000? Huh.

Lots of cars had 4 lugs in 2000, like the Miata.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Wait you mean a 1600 lb car only needs 4 lugs? Who would have thunk it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The base model Protege had 4-lug all the way to its last year in 2003.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It might confuse some people though as the SW-series (like mine) has 5-lug hubs.

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001
What's the most you guys would pay for this hog? Was inspired by the 80's 22re on here; knee jerk reactions needed.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/4401169640.html

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Like $800. But I'm cheap.

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

Unless it's something big like an engine rebuild, there is absolutely nothing reassuring about listing off all the parts that have been getting replaced.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.

rizzo1001 posted:

What's the most you guys would pay for this hog? Was inspired by the 80's 22re on here; knee jerk reactions needed.

You know that's not a 22RE right? I'm just sayin' First red flag I see is not taking 15 minutes to install the front brakes he "already bought". Who wouldn't do that prior to putting it up for sale? Perhaps it needs more.

I sold my celica with "brand new tie rod ends, just not installed yet." because they are a mother. fucker. to put on.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/4403350956.html

Don't see these everyday.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 2, 2014

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
That's about the ugliest wheels I've ever seen.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

rizzo1001 posted:

Yeah, uh, that's a 3VZ-E V6 engine and they're widely known to be a festering pile of crap. The problem with the head gasket repair is that it won't stay repaired, it's a flaw in the design, they get cooked by the exhaust manifold because it wraps around the #6 cylinder.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

kastein posted:

Yeah, uh, that's a 3VZ-E V6 engine and they're widely known to be a festering pile of crap. The problem with the head gasket repair is that it won't stay repaired, it's a flaw in the design, they get cooked by the exhaust manifold because it wraps around the #6 cylinder.

So take it out and 2GRFE that beast. Problem solved.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So is I don't have time to file for a lost title craigslist speak for I don't own the car? Getting a replacement title is 5 minutes online and $12 here.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

Elephanthead posted:

So is I don't have time to file for a lost title craigslist speak for I don't own the car? Getting a replacement title is 5 minutes online and $12 here.

Assume there will never be a title. Once you exchange money you will never see or speak to the man again.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

50% chance it's stolen. The other 50% is composed of a combination of the wildly incompetent and terminally apathetic; neither are demographics you want to buy a car from.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Agreed.

Find out what paperwork you would need to file to get a title with only bill of sale and previous registration (which may be straight up impossible in your state.) Make sure the previous reg is available and that the VIN matches the car. Pull a favor (or pay for such a service if it's available in your state, I don't know if it is) and have a cop run the VIN to make sure it isn't listed stolen.

Oh, make sure it has no liens and isn't some hacked up salvage car.

Then go through a bunch of poo poo to get yourself a title. Good luck and godspeed.

(I recommend passing on it and buying something else.)

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I passed on a decent enough '95 Thunderbird with a V8 that just needed brakes and a tune up for $600 because of no title. I kind of regretted it, if not just for the parts alone, but then I didn't because I knew the title would never be "found and mailed".

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I have bought two vehicles with no title type problems before. I will not do it again unless I can get it for something under scrap value. At least in Missouri I can sell a car to a scrapyard without title if it's older than 10 years. It's a serious loving headache buying a car with no title and trying to make it legal. In both cases I've been in I couldn't make it work without things I'm not going to talk about happening. Don't loving do it.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
If you lose the title, and you are the owner (or executing their estate, or have power of attorney) is it just a matter of going to the DMV with ID to get a new one?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

VideoTapir posted:

If you lose the title, and you are the owner (or executing their estate, or have power of attorney) is it just a matter of going to the DMV with ID to get a new one?

Titles are issued by the state, so it's state dependent. Also you have to hope the state's records are clean and in order and correct. Considering Missouri listed my old Benz as a Mercury, don't count on it. I also once bought an Illinois-titled trailer that happened to actually be a Scout II. Yeah.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I have a truck sitting in my field right now that runs great but will never be legal again. My father in law died and he never cleared the lien from the title. It's paid off, he just never called and had the lien holder send him the original title. Now the lien holder won't talk to us without attorney paperwork. There was no estate and it's not worth paying a lawyer $500 to deal with the problem.

I cannot even scrap it because I don't have the title. I guess I could part it out and leave the frame sitting somewhere on the road as an abandoned vehicle. My only other option is to turn it into a race car and use it offroad.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Part it out and sawzall the rest of it into smaller pieces and throw it away one piece at a time

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Citycop posted:

My only other option is to turn it into a race car and use it offroad.

Well I'd say you've got that figured out.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Citycop posted:

just needed brakes and a tune up

I think you dodged a bullet there anyway. Did it also just need an "a/c recharge"?

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Title chat: Wisconsin finally got its poo poo together and allows you to look for liens against the title with a VIN.

https://trust.dot.state.wi.us/linq/linqservlet?whoami=linqp1

If the VIN isn't available for the vehicle, that's another red flag.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Citycop posted:

I have a truck sitting in my field right now that runs great but will never be legal again. My father in law died and he never cleared the lien from the title. It's paid off, he just never called and had the lien holder send him the original title. Now the lien holder won't talk to us without attorney paperwork. There was no estate and it's not worth paying a lawyer $500 to deal with the problem.

I cannot even scrap it because I don't have the title. I guess I could part it out and leave the frame sitting somewhere on the road as an abandoned vehicle. My only other option is to turn it into a race car and use it offroad.

Part it out, then cut it up and drag it to the scrapyard. Scrapyards will take cut up vehicles without a title, usually, I brought the title to my old dodge 2500 parts truck with me when I scrapped the cab and they told me they didn't need it.

Note that scrapyards and junkyards are different places. Junkyards take cars, and want titles, scrapyards sometimes take whole cars, and will usually/always want a title depending on your area and how bad car theft is there, but will take cut up junk anytime.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Title chat: Wisconsin finally got its poo poo together and allows you to look for liens against the title with a VIN.

loving finally. I've had a friend burned by that in the past.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/4405493704.html

I think this might be a Shiro car. If not, it looks a fun Z31 that has seen some poo poo.

edit: One page later, I wish I had the funds to make this Lamfieroghini a sand rail, the stance inspires me:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Citycop posted:

If you can get it to Missouri and it's over 10 years old, I can scrap it out for you no title needed

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
REPLYCA
REPLYCA
REPLYCA
REPLYCA
REPLYCA

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang-SEDAN-DELIVERY-SHOW-CAR-514-V-8-/141240148974?vxp=mtr

yes that is the rear end of a volvo 240 wagon

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

Citycop posted:

This is actually not as intimidating as it seems. Depending whether your father in law left a will, you can easily file a petition for Letters Testamentary (if there is a will) or Administration (no will) without hiring counsel.

If your wife files the petition it will be even easier especially if there are no siblings involved. You'll file a petition, pay the filing fee and receive Letters in the mail appointing you as an Executor or Administrator of an Estate. A copy of certified, court clerk stamped Letters should be enough for any lien holder to clear the lien.

Hell, some states have an even simpler process for administrating an estate if it's under $10,000. It's about an hour worth of work, roughly $100-$200 in filing fees and 2-3 weeks of waiting. Check your local Surrogate Court's website for free online forms and look over them.

Also, you can usually scrap a car without title if you have the keys for it but they'll give you less money. I scrapped my folks' old Caravan with no title about a month ago with one of those "$500 bucks for your old junk" places and they gave me $350. You can also part it out on Ebay.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Hmmm. If only I had some extra money and time (and he would take about 1/2 off the price)

http://chillicothe.craigslist.org/cto/4405341694.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 4, 2014

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Can someone tell me about Grand Nationals? Which ones are the desirable models? This one looks really clean but idk if it's actually the one you want:

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4379827600.html

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That's very nice. A Mustang Shooting Brake. Even the 240 tailgate seems to fit in nicely

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Ugh I wish AZ would do this. I very nearly got burned by this when I bought my Ranger, but thankfully the seller was still willing to work with me and get the lien fixed.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

A MIRACLE posted:

Can someone tell me about Grand Nationals? Which ones are the desirable models? This one looks really clean but idk if it's actually the one you want:

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4379827600.html

A grand national is a grand national (and also always black on black on black). A regal t-type is mechanically identical, just lacking the badges and blackout treatment.

There's also the GNX, which is an even hotter version made only for a year or two, but any GN or t-type is criminally fast (and easy to make faster, the Buick engineers deliberately left lots of headroom for more boost).

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The 1986 and later models got inter-coolers. Prior to that are generally worth a bit less, otherwise, the GNX/GN/T-type thing has been covered above.

Some T-types with odd options combinations or colors can be worth more as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MTK337
Jul 11, 2005
LT1 Corona!

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4398518785.html