Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Equality
Feb 26, 2007
I'm about to pull the trigger on a laptop and I need your goony opinions. My needs include writing for uni, reading, watching streams and playing LoL and maybe the new D3 expansion and or Wildstar.

Lenovo y510p is overkill for league but I'd like to have a quality laptop that I can use for the net 5 years.

So here is my decision:

Two identical laptops, one with a 250SSD (it is a Samsung, but not the EVO that is recommended in the PC thread) hard drive and an i5 dual core, the other has 1TB HDD plus an 8gbSSD (which I don't understand since its so small I don't think I can even put windows on it) and an i7 quad core. Both laptops are within like 20€ of each other.

Both have an ultrabay for further upgrades.

What do you guys pick in this situation? Is there any reason to wait a couple weeks to buy? I'm in Germany if that makes a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Equality
Feb 26, 2007

blatman posted:

I will probably catch some flack for this question...

I think this really depends on what games you want to play at what quality and what your budget is.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Sorry, I left that out of my post by accident, I don't really want to spend much more than $1000 mostly due to sticker shock once it gets past that price point, and it would be nice to be able to play Dark Souls and WoW.

I am okay with medium settings, since my T410 runs WoW at minimal everything and doesn't even load Dark Souls at all.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

blatman posted:

gaming laptops

Please read the last couple pages which were full of horrible gaming laptop discussion.

Seriously though, they compared the 3 most popular gaming laptops and people chimed in on custom builds as well. You will definitely get more by reading the past 2 or 3 pages then you will in responses to this post.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
MSI GS60 Review Part 2: Post-usage update

Hi all, a few posts back I talked about my initial impressions of the new MSI GS60 gaming notebook. I've had a week now to play around with it, so I'll give you an update about my experience.

I'm still loving the portability of this thing so much. It's tiny and easy to move around, powers off and on (even to full hibernation or restart) in seconds, and is a joy to carry around compared to my previous Dell M4400. I can finally slip this under my arm without feeling weighed down or worrying about where the closest outlet is going to be.

I've found the battery lasts about 3-5 hours when you're doing normal tasks, and this seems to be mostly a function of how bright your screen is and maybe how many wireless devices you have on. This is pretty impressive for gaming notebooks, but fairly dismal compared to modern portable laptops. The screen is fantastic and bright, even when outside in the bright Texas sun, but turning the brightness all the way up will hurt your battery life.

Folks have pointed out that this does, in fact, have the older Kepler version of the GTX 860m instead of the newer Maxwell. In theory, these have the same performance, but the Kepler has extra power consumption. Since I usually don't game when the laptop is unplugged, this isn't too big of an issue to me; the laptop defaults to the Intel GPU when you're not doing anything intensive. You can even force the machine to use the Intel chip for graphics when running certain applications, if that's your prerogative.

The performance is truly stunning. I was able to render an hour-long HD video with multiple HD layers in 20 minutes. This would have taken close to 1.5-2 hours on my old M4400. During this time the base got warm, but not too hot. I probably wouldn't have minded it on my bare legs, and didn't even notice it as it was sitting on my clothed lap. The fans made a little noise, but really not bad at all; this guy certainly passes the "use it in bed while your partner is sleeping next to you" test.

During gaming, this notebook chewed through Skyrim, Bioshock Inifinite, and a few other titles flawlessly with everything on ultra. Really, I'm sure it can do a great deal more, but for detailed benchmarks you should consult one of the many websites that do this. The base did get significantly hotter while gaming; it still wasn't noticeable while in my lap, but certainly would have been painful to bare legs, as I didn't want to leave my hand on it for more than a few seconds. The fans were slightly louder, but still, totally acceptable and way softer than I expected, to be honest. Fan noise seems to be a non-issue with this laptop.

I continue to be impressed by the sound; it is just top notch by laptop standards. The touchpad is also quite nice, although I've really had to tweak the sensitivity settings to get it just right.

I've grown even less fond of the keyboard. I really don't understand how someone could gently caress up a keyboard layout this badly. It has a numpad, but the numpad 0 isn't as big as it's supposed to be, which I still haven't gotten used to and has caused a number of mistakes. The spacebar is shifted and a bit undersized due to a pointless extra backslash key. On top of that, while gaming I discovered that if you press on the very edge of the spacebar, it is possible to completely depress it without it actually registering that you've pressed the key. You have to go out of your way to make sure you're pressing space hard and closer to the center of the button. This hasn't been as big a deal for typing, but when using WASD while gaming, it's kinda awkward and has gotten me killed a few times. I also really miss hardware volume keys; with the function keys on the left and the volume buttons on the right, it takes two hands to change the volume.

Summary
The GS60 is a solid offering of portability and power. It's as thin and light as some of the most portable notebooks, yet it packs in a top-of-the-line processor and one of the best mobile graphics chips you can get in an itty bitty package. The fans are quite quiet, and although the cooling isn't perfect, it's certainly a huge improvement over many of the gaming notebooks of yore. If you want something for truly portable, powerful graphics and don't want to get a Razer Blade for some reason (price, memory, options, style), then I think this is pretty much the best offering out there I've seen. My biggest complaint is about keyboard, so if you're picky about that sort of thing, avoid this, as it has the most annoying keyboard I've ever used.

That all being said, it seems like we're right on the cusp of a lot of great, super-portable notebooks coming out with the latest Nvidia chipsets. So, if you can wait a few months, I'd say see what Asus and others have to offer. Also, it should be reiterated that you are paying a huge surcharge for portability here, so if you really don't give a hoot about that, go for something cheaper.

Newegg does appear to have these back in stock, so you can check it out in a few different configurations here.

Imaduck fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 3, 2014

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
Not to be a dick but I don't recall much useful gaming laptop discussion from the past few pages.

blatman posted:

Sorry, I left that out of my post by accident, I don't really want to spend much more than $1000 mostly due to sticker shock once it gets past that price point, and it would be nice to be able to play Dark Souls and WoW.

I am okay with medium settings, since my T410 runs WoW at minimal everything and doesn't even load Dark Souls at all.
I would say just get a big clunky Sager desktop replacement, but a good one will run you way more than $1K. You can get like, dual 780Ms and three or four hard drives with a couple mSATA bays on top of that, but that'll set you back $3K+ :v:

I saw something for ~$1K on slickdeals just a few days ago that made me slightly regret my y410p, I think some kind of Toshiba with a 770M in it, but generally I love my y410p and one of those will run you ~$1K if you're going to use it all the time for everything since that means buying an SSD and possibly a new spinner for it. I have a 250GB Evo and a 2TB spinner in mine and it's fantastic, I wouldn't need a desktop any more if I didn't have an enormous media collection and like playing games at 1440p with obscene settings.

Even though you have the space for something clunkier the y410p is still nice because of the slightly lower resolution. I wouldn't want to play AAA games at 1080p on anything less than a 770M. When I was doing my own research the bottom line seemed to be that you aren't going to get a 770 or 780M on anything less than around $1300 unless you make some serious compromises, and even then there's really no such thing as a compact, sturdy, reasonably-priced laptop with a 780M in it.

I would just settle for something reasonable and save BF4 etc. for when you are somewhere with a desktop, unless you can afford to spend way more and know that you're throwing it away compared to spending the same on a desktop. I play a ton of games and I've mostly just been catching up on my backlog or playing emulators or indie games or whatnot when I've been away from home lately.

Also, portable monitors are really awesome if you want to have a more comfortable setup and are always traveling :)

edit: actually, I see the 860M is available in laptops as cheap as ~$1200 so that might be an option too

Straker fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 3, 2014

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
A Lenovo Y410p is probably the best alternative for ~1k gaming laptops

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

mobby_6kl posted:

What's the consensus on the EliteBook 850? It just popped up as an alternative to the T540 in our SRM and seeing as Lenovo's been doing their best to gently caress up their laptops lately, I'm considering going to the dark side this time.

They're generally a fine alternative. Build quality wise, it's better. I think their chiclet keyboards are.. acceptable, but not eminently comfortable. I bet their touchpad drivers aren't bloated pieces of poo poo that take 2-5% CPU every time your finger touches it and then take 500 ms to figure out that you're scrolling, too.

shrughes fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 3, 2014

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Straker posted:

edit: actually, I see the 860M is available in laptops as cheap as ~$1200 so that might be an option too
You can get a 860M for under $1000, though it doesn't come with a SSD at that price.

With the 8xx series just launching, you have two main options:

(1) If you don't intend on playing BF4 and Metro LL at 60 FPS with everything maxed out, watch for deals on now-outdated hardware. A 1080p laptop with a 760M or better will be very capable of playing most current games at good (albeit not maxed) settings, and will destroy older games without trouble--you don't really need a 770/780 if you're just looking for WoW, DarkSouls, and some assorted others. With sales and such, you should be able to find these under $1000 (look for the Gigabyte P34G, P35K, ASUS N56's, MSI GT 60's, etc). Whatever you do, make sure it comes with at least a 128GB SSD.

(2) Wait a month or two for the just-released binge to calm down, and expect prices to slide down the scale a bit. It's doubtful you'd be able to find a gaming laptop with a 860M in it for under $1k that doesn't make hideous compromises, but $1200 should see you clear to something quite decent.

Malderi
Nov 27, 2005
There are three fundamental forces in this universe: matter, energy, and enlighted self-interest.
Shopping for a replacement laptop for my girlfriend, target price around $500. She does light gaming (MMOs with me, etc). Currently leaning towards this guy:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312829

I think at this price range, the AMD APUs are going to have the best graphics performance, right? At least, from my benchmark research, that seems to be the case. This seems to be a decently well-built laptop for the price also.

1366x768 and no SSD, but you've got to go up several hundred bucks to find those, and she says she's fine with her current 1366x768 15.6" already. She's got a 3-year-old Llano APU Asus machine, and other than the power supply failing to keep the battery charged, it's been working fine for her.

I know the Haswell machines will have better battery life, but that isn't particularly important for her, and most laptops I can find from the good manufacturers (not HP, Acer, etc) are in the Pentium/Celeron range. The few Core i3's that show up are bottom of the barrel.

Any alternatives to recommend?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

shrughes posted:

They're generally a fine alternative. Build quality wise, it's better. I think their chiclet keyboards are.. acceptable, but not eminently comfortable. I bet their touchpad drivers aren't bloated pieces of poo poo that take 2-5% CPU every time your finger touches it and then take 500 ms to figure out that you're scrolling, too.

Thanks! I'll probably be passing this as well though, I dug up the specs and they're all using ULV (or whatever) processors. I do actually need some decent performance out of it so will be sticking to the full-fat CPUs for now.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I'm looking at picking up a new laptop once tax season is over, the primary use will be Professional journalistic photo/video editing, with some light gaming on the side. Build quality/durability are important to me. My current laptop (an Acer) did not stand up to the tough environment I was working it in, and it's a generally terrible machine.

The OP of the thread has me looking at ThinkPads, mainly the T and W540s. I'm leaning towards the W540 because ~$1600 gets me a high res IPS display, a solid GPU, and an i7 processor for LESS money than a comparable T540.

Do any other manufacturers offer machines with the same reputation for ruggedness that ThinkPads have in the same price bracket (~1200-1600)?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

The Y410p suggested earlier looks like pretty much my ideal laptop, all of the complaints are things I don't need to worry about except apparently the wifi sucks, but I can just get a usb adapter for that.

Thank you for the suggestion!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Fart Car '97 posted:

I'm looking at picking up a new laptop once tax season is over, the primary use will be Professional journalistic photo/video editing, with some light gaming on the side. Build quality/durability are important to me. My current laptop (an Acer) did not stand up to the tough environment I was working it in, and it's a generally terrible machine.

The OP of the thread has me looking at ThinkPads, mainly the T and W540s. I'm leaning towards the W540 because ~$1600 gets me a high res IPS display, a solid GPU, and an i7 processor for LESS money than a comparable T540.

Do any other manufacturers offer machines with the same reputation for ruggedness that ThinkPads have in the same price bracket (~1200-1600)?

You can get a refurbished T540p with a 1080p screen, 730m for $824 dollars at the outlet store right now. I only know this because i've been staking out the outlet for the past week looking for a yoga 2 pro.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Tom Guycot posted:

You can get a refurbished T540p with a 1080p screen, 730m for $824 dollars at the outlet store right now. I only know this because i've been staking out the outlet for the past week looking for a yoga 2 pro.

Unfortunately due to the nature of my work, at minimum I need the 1920x display. I'd prefer the IPS, but it sounds like Lenovo's 1920 TN displays are quite nice.

Either way none of the 15" thinkpads on the outlet have a dedicated GPU and a 1920(or greater) display :(

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 4, 2014

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Fart Car '97 posted:

Unfortunately due to the nature of my work, at minimum I need the 1920x display. I'd prefer the IPS, but it sounds like Lenovo's 1920 TN displays are quite nice.

I also would greatly prefer to have a dedicated GPU, which none of the outlet offers have :(

I am a bit drunk so I might be misunderstanding what you're saying, but 1080p screen is 1920 though, right? and as far as dedicated, I've seen a couple in the past couple minutes at least after I read your post and decided to look that had a discrete geforce 730m

Edit, yeah theres at least still one T540p with the nvidia there after I posted, so they definitely show up there if you don't mind hanging around refreshing until you see something that fits your bill showing up. vOv

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 4, 2014

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Tom Guycot posted:

I am a bit drunk so I might be misunderstanding what you're saying, but 1080p screen is 1920 though, right? and as far as dedicated, I've seen a couple in the past couple minutes at least after I read your post and decided to look that had a discrete geforce 730m

Edit, yeah theres at least still one T540p with the nvidia there after I posted, so they definitely show up there if you don't mind hanging around refreshing until you see something that fits your bill showing up. vOv

I see them now, I must have had some other filter clicked. Either way I promised myself I would do my taxes before I make the purchase. :v:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Fart Car '97 posted:

I see them now, I must have had some other filter clicked. Either way I promised myself I would do my taxes before I make the purchase. :v:

Put on credit card pay after you get your return?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Put on credit card pay after you get your return?

Opposite situation -- because I worked overseas as a contractor for mostly non-u.s. companies, I will undoubtedly OWE taxes, seeing as I haven't...you know...paid any. :(

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Speaking of the outlet I've now brought up, does anyone have experience with the thinkpad yoga? Theres some refurbished ones for a good price but I don't know how they really compare to say the yoga 2 pro.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
QHD Samsung for $899 at the Microsoft Store (down from $1,399). Not a bad deal:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Samsung-ATIV-Book-9-Plus-NP940X3G-K03US-Touchscreen-Ultrabook/productID.283976900

Use coupon code "MADNESS14" to take $100.00 off.

Nevermind. Already out of stock. Might be able to get one in-store, but unsure if the discount will apply.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Fart Car '97 posted:

The Dell Latitude E6xxx line (the E6540 is the 15.6" model).

Also Lenovo's 1920x1080 TN panels aren't particularly good any more, now that they have the 3K option.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Tom Guycot posted:

Speaking of the outlet I've now brought up, does anyone have experience with the thinkpad yoga? Theres some refurbished ones for a good price but I don't know how they really compare to say the yoga 2 pro.

I absolutely loved mine with two exceptions:

1.) Battery life isn't that great. Expect no more than 6 hours of use - you'll need to carry around a charger.

2.) The thing stopped booting less than 24 hours into ownership. Definitely a fluke, but still. :(

Compared to the Yoga 2 Pro it feels much sturdier, the keyboard is nicer, and it's got a touchpoint, and the pen. That said, it'll run you ~$1600 for the Thinkpad Yoga with 1920x1080 screen, a pen, 8GB of ram, and a 256GB hdd.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
Does anyone have any experience with the ZBook 14? It looks nice on paper.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

AriTheDog posted:

I absolutely loved mine with two exceptions:

2.) The thing stopped booting less than 24 hours into ownership. Definitely a fluke, but still. :(

Hahaha, what. Like I know laptops are getting pretty cheap and I applaud the mfg.'s for it, but holy poo poo. Certainly a 1% scenario, but I mean Christ.
Still, my ThinkPad's mSATA drive no-kidding caught fire because I left the sticker on it and it got hot. I removed it, brushed off the soot, popped it back in, and I was back in business no problems in under five minutes.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

agarjogger posted:

Hahaha, what. Like I know laptops are getting pretty cheap and I applaud the mfg.'s for it, but holy poo poo. Certainly a 1% scenario, but I mean Christ.

That actually happened with my Acer too. They replaced it of course, but still. gently caress that lovely laptop :argh:

blowingupcasinos
Feb 21, 2006
I genuinely need some help. It hasn't started up properly so it prompts to run Windows in a safe mode. It gets past the initial black and white loading screen and into the low res oldschool Windows loading. This is where it hangs and keeps going for hours. If I had to guess what was going on it would be the Crucial M4 I have installed in it (don't be mad, it was cheap when I bought it). When things like this have happened to my friends' boxes I'd just start over, but I kinda like what I got going on this laptop and don't want to lose all my precious data. Hilariously I don't mean porn.

If it helps this happened totally randomly. I was surfing the web and the screen just blacked out. This wasn't after a drop or a shutdown or an update. Also, this guy is an X230 and I love him. Please help him come back to life. Thanks.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

agarjogger posted:

Still, my ThinkPad's mSATA drive no-kidding caught fire because I left the sticker on it and it got hot. I removed it, brushed off the soot, popped it back in, and I was back in business no problems in under five minutes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tom Guycot posted:

I have one and I like it a lot. There were some weird driver problems at the beginning trying to get the Wacom digitizer working with all of the graphics and doodling apps I use, but once I got it figured out it's been very reliable. It feels extremely solid and un-flexy, the screen is excellent and shows no color shifting at any angle, and the keyboard is really really nice. It doesn't have the 3800x1800 display on the Yoga 2 Pro, but considering that it also has a relatively slow HD4400 graphics chipset, I don't know that you'd really want to be pushing all those pixels anyway. I have the 1080p display, and run it at 1:1 mode and zoom Chrome to about 125% and it's fine.

The only annoying thing to me is the configurations. Ideally I would have wanted an i5, 8GB of RAM and the digitizer. You can only get 8 gigs of RAM if you also get an i7. At the Microsoft store you can get one for $1100 with an i5, 4 gigs and the digitizer, or for $1400 with an i7, 8 gigs and no digitizer. If you go through Lenovo's site you'll be paying about $200 more than at the Microsoft store, so to get one with 8 gigs and the digitizer you'll be $1700+, and also the shipping is like a month long I've heard. I went to the Microsoft store, bit the bullet and got the one with 4 gigs of RAM, saved the money and so far haven't run into any problems even running a couple of Adobe apps simultaneously.

Battery life I suppose isn't great, 6 hours with the screen at medium brightness if you aren't doing anything demanding, but that's enough for my uses, and in any case the charger is this teeny little thing that weighs nothing so I don't mind carrying it around.

Great machine IMO. I've never owned a ThinkPad before and I really am loving the keyboard especially.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

tesilential posted:

My roommate has a mid '13 Air and I have a late '13 rMBP, I have never seen my reflection in either screen. In fact even with the blinds open you can hardly see the reflection of my sliding glass door even with sun shining through and the brightness around 60%. If you turn the brightness up to 90-100%, all glare goes away. These modern glossy displays don't really reflect much glare.

The glare doesn't go away, it just gets overpowered by the uncomfortably bright backlight.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

dissss posted:

The glare doesn't go away, it just gets overpowered by the uncomfortably bright backlight.

Even with the backlight low, the screen has a mild satin finish. I used a matte Thinkpad and I'm very pleased with the MBA.

Also, the matte Thinkpad IPS panel tended to collect dust quickly. The Mac stays clean.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

blowingupcasinos posted:

I genuinely need some help. It hasn't started up properly so it prompts to run Windows in a safe mode. It gets past the initial black and white loading screen and into the low res oldschool Windows loading. This is where it hangs and keeps going for hours. If I had to guess what was going on it would be the Crucial M4 I have installed in it (don't be mad, it was cheap when I bought it). When things like this have happened to my friends' boxes I'd just start over, but I kinda like what I got going on this laptop and don't want to lose all my precious data. Hilariously I don't mean porn.

If it helps this happened totally randomly. I was surfing the web and the screen just blacked out. This wasn't after a drop or a shutdown or an update. Also, this guy is an X230 and I love him. Please help him come back to life. Thanks.

Put the SSD in a USB enclosure, attach it to another computer. Use CrystalDiskInfo to check the health of that drive.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

sports posted:

Even with the backlight low, the screen has a mild satin finish. I used a matte Thinkpad and I'm very pleased with the MBA.

Yeah its personal preference.

Personally I think the MBA has an awful display even compare to my ThinkPad - it only has very marginally better viewing angles and I still find the glare distracting enough to make it more of an annoyance than the worse contrast on the Lenovo.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Say some nutcase wants to do something really CPU bound on his laptop and needs an MQ model i7 to pull that off since none of Intel's other mobile offerings have 4 cores. Is it remotely feasible to get a non-:pcgaming: laptop for that or should he just be gently mocked and told to build an i5 desktop?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
You can get i7-4700MQ's on a number of "business class" laptops. Hell, if you have more money than sense, you can get up to a 4900MQ on the T540. Dell and HP's upper-end lineups offer similar options.

That said, he should probably be mocked and told to build a desktop that'll cost half as much and be faster, if he's seriously trying to do something that needs the computational power of an 8-thread CPU.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

agarjogger posted:

Boutique gaming PC shops offer a "24 hour burn-in" process where they run the machine at 100% to avoid "early infant mortality syndrome" on most of your components, and can replace the bad parts before they ship it to you. GM does something similar with their "performance crate engines" where they run them at 95% redline under load for 24 hours before shipping them to customers.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

dis astranagant posted:

Say some nutcase wants to do something really CPU bound on his laptop and needs an MQ model i7 to pull that off since none of Intel's other mobile offerings have 4 cores. Is it remotely feasible to get a non-:pcgaming: laptop for that or should he just be gently mocked and told to build an i5 desktop?

Thinkpad T440p if he wants the 14" option. Toshiba Portege R30 if he wants the 13.3" option (ruined by low screen resolution, unfortunately). Any 15.6" businessy notebook (Thinkpad, Latitude, Fujitsu, Toshiba...) if he wants the 15.6" option. A 'workstation' 15.6" laptop (by the same sellers of businessy notebooks), if he needs more than 16 GB of RAM (and no more than 32 GB).

Hadlock posted:

Boutique gaming PC shops offer a "24 hour burn-in" process where they run the machine at 100% to avoid "early infant mortality syndrome" on most of your components, and can replace the bad parts before they ship it to you. GM does something similar with their "performance crate engines" where they run them at 95% redline under load for 24 hours before shipping them to customers.

Panasonic does this with its laptops for weeks while vibrating them.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I have a Lenovo X200 that I love dearly and feel no need to replace. The battery on it, however, was shot. I bought a cheap third-party battery from a highly-rated eBay seller. It seems to charge and function fine; however, the computer doesn't recognize the battery as being installed. Battery manager shows no battery present, and the amber warming light is flashing constantly.

Any way to remedy this? I understand that this may be the price I pay for a $19 battery - but I figured it might be worth a shot, seeing as the laptop isn't worth much. I'm running Ubuntu 13.10. btw.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

dis astranagant posted:

Lenovo's W540 comes with the i7-4700MQ, and you can upgrade it to the 4800MQ or 4900MQ which supports vt-d. It's expensive, but with Lenovo if it lasts a month there's a decent shot it'll last 5 years.

I went for that purchase, and it was the right decision for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
My P7805U (http://www.cnet.com/products/gateway-p-7805u-fx-edition/) has finally died out. It worked a couple of days ago, then I bought some new ram, put it in...now it won't start. Lights come on and the HD icon flashed for a couple of second, but nothing else. I've been troubleshooting it for awhile and have come to the conclusion that it's finally time to get a new laptop.

I spent $850 on it about five years ago, I'm looking to spend around $500 now for one with a 17inch screen, and I should be able to get something more powerful than my previous laptop right? From the looks of things, the cpu is easily beaten by anything on the market today, but the 9800M that it had is still more powerful than most integrated graphics cards. Any good recommendations for that price point? I'm not that interested in gaming on it...but I don't really want to get something less powerful than what I'm replacing.