Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Deofuta posted:

There is a bit of back and forth in those books though, with some of the other Night Lords saying Curze was much more in line with corruption than Talos ever lets on. Makes it more fun to discuss certainly.

Yeah the whole chapel made of people in endless agony is kind of a giveaway that beneath all his honor and justice crap hes just a psycho that (for a while) had an outlet for his sadism in the name of order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Angry Lobster posted:

Agreed, but I think it's a side efect of being portrayed by several different writters of varied quality rather than an intended one. Really liked how Talos though about Curze and how the other members of the Legion viewed him (with amusement) as a rather idealistic fellow in a group of cynics and pragmatics.

Zso also had a similar opinion if I recall correctly from Lord of the Night. Which is interesting considering that, as 1st company captain, he probably had some of the most time spent with Curze. Which means that if Curze is indeed more monstrous than he or Talos let on, it's because they willingly pull the wool over their own eyes.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I think Angron-sans-nails would be more like another Russ - an honorable, post-human technobarbarian.

The parallels are foregrounded in the confrontation between the Wolves and the Hounds/World Eaters.

He'd probably more of a liberator than a general or a statesman, what with his obvious Spartacus parallels. Meaning even undamaged he'd likely have trouble fitting in, as he'd object to the Imperium's use of slaves, its rigid hierarchy and so on. It's amusing to consider that he'd probably have rebelled -faster- (and for nobler purposes) had he not been implanted with his psycho-cyberware.

Liveware
Feb 5, 2014

Sephyr posted:

he'd probably have rebelled -faster- (and for nobler purposes) had he not been implanted with his psycho-cyberware.

The real reason why the Emprah didn't remove it. :tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I would actually buy that.

It is now my headcanon answer for "Why did the Emperor gently caress Angron so soundly?"

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mr.48 posted:

Yeah the whole chapel made of people in endless agony is kind of a giveaway that beneath all his honor and justice crap hes just a psycho that (for a while) had an outlet for his sadism in the name of order.

It's implied that he may have some sort of split personality, one good and one crazy. Basically he's Batman and the Joker in a single person and it's hard to say which one was named Night Haunter and which one was Curze.

Sephyr posted:

He'd probably more of a liberator than a general or a statesman, what with his obvious Spartacus parallels. Meaning even undamaged he'd likely have trouble fitting in, as he'd object to the Imperium's use of slaves, its rigid hierarchy and so on. It's amusing to consider that he'd probably have rebelled -faster- (and for nobler purposes) had he not been implanted with his psycho-cyberware.

Except neither of those are necessarily part of the original visoin held by the Emperor for th eimperium. If anything there doesn't seem to be much rigid heriarchy at all outside the military.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Waroduce posted:

I think the Night Lords did a pretty good job portraying Curze as a bitter, fallen hero. Grew up around crime, became the justice he so sought, purchased order through fear, and than went to work on behalf of his father to bring order to the Imperium and Crusade. Worlds would fall compliant if only a rumor of the Night Lords presence was breathed, and than daddy decided he went too far and the rest is history. I also like how Curze is portrayed as untrusting of the ruinous powers, that the Night Lords should try to resist their temptations, although many don't, and that there is no traitors loyalty in the long war.

I def agree that he's poorly portrayed in the Horus Heresy series though.

Sevatar calls him out on being a total loving lunatic in denial of his own lunacy in "Prince of Crows." It's great.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

VanSandman posted:

Sevatar calls him out on being a total loving lunatic in denial of his own lunacy in "Prince of Crows." It's great.

And he was probably right, considering he spent time in Kurze's mind and all. Seriously, the Night Lords were a train wreck of a legion and I wonder how they managed to operate as a cohesive unit, they seem fantastic as riders and pirates though.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Sephyr posted:

That's my interpretation, too. What's great is that you see how alike the Khan is in Scars - Jaghatai is all about kicking tyrants in the teeth and then running away before the newly liberated masses demand he govern them, and he wonders if the Emprah is the ultimate tyrant. And then there's uncorrupted Horus, who was already drifting away from the Emprah's vision when he got Erebus'd. Civil war was inevitable, and it's not difficult to see that the lines would have been different had Chaos not gotten involved.

Deofuta posted:

Zso also had a similar opinion if I recall correctly from Lord of the Night. Which is interesting considering that, as 1st company captain, he probably had some of the most time spent with Curze. Which means that if Curze is indeed more monstrous than he or Talos let on, it's because they willingly pull the wool over their own eyes.

Would you be eager to admit that your dad is a crazy murdering psychopath? Pulling the wool over their own eyes is one of the most believable aspects of the Night Lords.

VanSandman fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 1, 2014

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Ugh double post.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

VanSandman posted:

Would you be eager to admit that your dad is a crazy murdering psychopath? Pulling the wool over their own eyes is one of the most believable aspects of the Night Lords.
That's the thing - I was just going to post that saying that the rest of the Night Lords didn't find Kure "more monstrous" is kind of like putting a group of murderous psychopaths in the same room together and one of them commenting on how that one guy in the corner is a little odd. It's all relative.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
What book is Prince of Crows from? I haven't found it in any anthology yet.

I really don't envy whomever has to end up untangling the knot that is the Emperor's behavior in a book. The list of weird, bungled or hypocritical decisions that have to be justified and/or explained is so long.

-No pskerism in my empire! Except for me. And Malcador. And Magnus. And astropaths and navigators. And all the Grey Knights stashed in Titan.

-This Imperium will be a realm of reason, human achievement, science and enterprise! And we welcome slavers, tyrants and planets wallowing in barbarism as long as they accept I'm the boss, crack down on mutants and psykers, and pay the proper tithes!

-See Angron, unleashing your legion to help you back home would have been wrong because of reasons. Bringing all of them along to be your honor guard is also a big no-no. Now take this sector-reaving armada here and play nice! I left you some homeopathy in the cabinet in case the Nails hurt too bad.

-My boy Kurze! Love what you've done with the place. It's so Tim Burton, with a bit of...what is the name of that Hostel director? Anyway, you're obviously a person of extremes, as any psyker much, much weaker than myself could readily notice, so you're just he person I need to keep things nice and stable in this rising empire. Don't do anything I wouldn't, unless I totally would! *wink*

-Here's the thing, Horus. You're my top dawg, so I'm leaving the whole mess to you and taking a sabbatical. No, don't ask me why, I want you to wonder. Oh, and I'm springing this whole deal of being subservient to the High Lords and having to collect tithes from newly-conquered worlds on you, because who better to deal with such clerical work than an ambitious warlord newly into the job? It's not like it makes your work Sisyphean or anything!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Sephyr posted:

Shadows of Treachery

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Sephyr posted:

I really don't envy whomever has to end up untangling the knot that is the Emperor's behavior in a book. The list of weird, bungled or hypocritical decisions that have to be justified and/or explained is so long.

-No pskerism in my empire! Except for me. And Malcador. And Magnus. And astropaths and navigators. And all the Grey Knights stashed in Titan.

Except nikea was explicitly only about the Space Marine Librarius, which apparently may have been developed semi-independently by the primarchs but without the direct supervision of the Emperor.

Sephyr posted:

-This Imperium will be a realm of reason, human achievement, science and enterprise! And we welcome slavers, tyrants and planets wallowing in barbarism as long as they accept I'm the boss, crack down on mutants and psykers, and pay the proper tithes!

I think the idea is that change will be gradual and that whenever possible each planet would be left to develop on its own instead of installing a new social order by force, in keeping with the whole 'strength through human diversity' thing. See also :911: (slavery compromise)

Sephyr posted:

-See Angron, unleashing your legion to help you back home would have been wrong because of reasons. Bringing all of them along to be your honor guard is also a big no-no. Now take this sector-reaving armada here and play nice! I left you some homeopathy in the cabinet in case the Nails hurt too bad.

We actually don't know the whole story about Angron at all. Nobody really knows except Angron (crazy) and maybe the legion's top leadership (all dead, killed by Angron).

Sephyr posted:

-My boy Kurze! Love what you've done with the place. It's so Tim Burton, with a bit of...what is the name of that Hostel director? Anyway, you're obviously a person of extremes, as any psyker much, much weaker than myself could readily notice, so you're just he person I need to keep things nice and stable in this rising empire. Don't do anything I wouldn't, unless I totally would! *wink*

Wasn't Nostromo an incredibly peaceful place after Night Haunter was done with it? It only really went to poo poo after kurze left.

Sephyr posted:

-Here's the thing, Horus. You're my top dawg, so I'm leaving the whole mess to you and taking a sabbatical. No, don't ask me why, I want you to wonder. Oh, and I'm springing this whole deal of being subservient to the High Lords and having to collect tithes from newly-conquered worlds on you, because who better to deal with such clerical work than an ambitious warlord newly into the job? It's not like it makes your work Sisyphean or anything!

IIRC Horus was warmaster, civil matters like collecting the tithe was left to Mlacador and the fledglign administratum.

Liveware
Feb 5, 2014

Cream_Filling posted:

IIRC Horus was warmaster, civil matters like collecting the tithe was left to Mlacador and the fledglign administratum.
But Horus did have to deal with the clerks who dealt with collecting tithes. Much to his own anger.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Cream_Filling posted:

Except nikea was explicitly only about the Space Marine Librarius, which apparently may have been developed semi-independently by the primarchs but without the direct supervision of the Emperor.

Doesn't make it any less hypocritical, unless viewed through the prism of wanting to keep everyone except the Emp's inner circle utterly ignorant about the warp and Chaos, which is another mistake in itself.

Cream_Filling posted:

I think the idea is that change will be gradual and that whenever possible each planet would be left to develop on its own instead of installing a new social order by force, in keeping with the whole 'strength through human diversity' thing. See also :911: (slavery compromise)

This is actually good point. It should have been handled better since it could (and did) create clashes with the most idealistic minds of the imperial bigshots and opened exploitable rifts.

Cream_Filling posted:

We actually don't know the whole story about Angron at all. Nobody really knows except Angron (crazy) and maybe the legion's top leadership (all dead, killed by Angron).

Angron is a berserker but he's not crazy unless fully lost to the nails. He doesn't once lie or embellish the truth. If we're going to speculate out of whole cloth, let's say Horus won and vanquished the Emperor but was so wounded he got trapped in the Golden Throne, because really, imperial records are unreliable and they wouldn't want to admit their lord was killed.

Cream_Filling posted:

Wasn't Nostromo an incredibly peaceful place after Night Haunter was done with it? It only really went to poo poo after kurze left.
Indeed, but that would mean that only permanent terror could bring peace, making Curze's madness sound and imperial complains about his methods hypocritical. I think.

Cream_Filling posted:

He still had to deal with the first stages of implanting the system and the bureaucrats. He openly resents this and says that he just got done stomping theses systems and now they'll start being taxed to hell meaning they'll revolt and he'll have to come back and stomp them again. The emperor likely could have stayed in charge a bit longer to oversee this big change and handed over a more sustainable enterprise to Horus. Or have put Gulliman in charge if what he wanted was imperial nation-building.

I chalk it all to "If the Big E knew his sons at all, there'd be no plot", but at some point the books will require a better explanation than that.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Shockeh posted:

And yeah, the Daemon Primarchs spend just as much time plotting against each other, supporting their infernal masters or generally just dicking about (Fulgrim) as they do conquering the Imperium. They have literal Infinite Fun Space to play with in the Warp; Why should they care any more about the fate of the lovely little Imperium they came from?

I like that, the actual material universe is like the elaborate model railway set up in the attic. An interesting hobby you can go have fun with on a wet Sunday afternoon.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Sephyr posted:

Doesn't make it any less hypocritical, unless viewed through the prism of wanting to keep everyone except the Emp's inner circle utterly ignorant about the warp and Chaos, which is another mistake in itself.
Except it's not really hypocritical because all the other sanctioned uses of psykers are ancient and governed along restrictions set by the Emperor. But if this is a new institution created without his direct input and now there's accusations of dark powers or corruption which has snuck in, it makes sense (since its not utterly critical like astropaths and navigators) to put an injunction on it and investigate later after whatever urgent and mysterious project (possibly to challenge the powers of the warp) that's called him away from the crusade in the first place is finished.

Sephyr posted:

Angron is a berserker but he's not crazy unless fully lost to the nails. He doesn't once lie or embellish the truth. If we're going to speculate out of whole cloth, let's say Horus won and vanquished the Emperor but was so wounded he got trapped in the Golden Throne, because really, imperial records are unreliable and they wouldn't want to admit their lord was killed.
Rarely does Angron ever testify to anything that happened factually so there's no real basis for saying this. It's also implied that he might have some sort of blackouts while in a rage. Like if he had been fighting his last stand. For all we know he actually fought or even died in battle and was teleported up after and just doesn't remember.

Sephyr posted:

Indeed, but that would mean that only permanent terror could bring peace, making Curze's madness sound and imperial complains about his methods hypocritical. I think.
If his methods completely fall apart within a generation how is criticism of his methods hypocritical? They clearly don't work even after he's spent what must be decades working them on the planet. Unlike pretty much every other primarch except for maybe Angron (and even he assembled a loyal cadre that loved him and would die for him) and I guess sort of the Lion. His utter failure to pacify his homeworld while other formerly lawless primarch home planets prosper seems to validate the criticisms raised. Curze refuses to admit that he is wrong and that fear and force alone cannot create a lasting peace.

Sephyr posted:

He still had to deal with the first stages of implanting the system and the bureaucrats. He openly resents this and says that he just got done stomping theses systems and now they'll start being taxed to hell meaning they'll revolt and he'll have to come back and stomp them again. The emperor likely could have stayed in charge a bit longer to oversee this big change and handed over a more sustainable enterprise to Horus. Or have put Gulliman in charge if what he wanted was imperial nation-building.
Only in the barest way - liasing with the occasional dignitary or bureaucrat and such. He's basically being a whiner about the whole thing considering this is stuff that all generals must do. He's got the authority of the Emperor so if he really cared about tithe policy or whatever he could have it changed but he doesn't actually do this.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 2, 2014

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Sephyr posted:

Night Hauter posted:

"Your presence does not surprise me, Assassin. I have known of you ever since your craft entered the Eastern Fringes. Why did I not have you killed? Because your mission and the act you are about to commit proves the truth of all I have ever said or done. I merely punished those who had wronged, just as your False Emperor now seeks to punish me. Death is nothing compared to vindication.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Intergalactic, all-planetary, everything super-supreme champion
Curze might be a more interesting character if they did a slow build up to him becoming the Night Haunter. I like the idea that his homeworld broke him mentally and created his alternate personality of the Night Haunter. He was broke by what he had to become to bring Nostromo to order. When he tried to be Cruze in the crusade he couldn't understand his brothers and fathers way of pacification. So his other half, his dark half, kept whispering in his ear to commit atrocities in order to put entire planets into compliance through fear. The Heresy just became and excuse to silence Cruze and become solely The Night Haunter.

Instead he was just flat out evil right from the get go and don't seem to show him as nothing but a monster for the lulz.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

EyeRChris posted:

Instead he was just flat out evil right from the get go and don't seem to show him as nothing but a monster for the lulz.
But he is flat out evil from the beginning - Nostromo made him that way. He had to become a monster in order to survive. The whole Primarchs storyline is a nature vs. nurture argument.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

berzerkmonkey posted:

But he is flat out evil from the beginning - Nostromo made him that way. He had to become a monster in order to survive. The whole Primarchs storyline is a nature vs. nurture argument.

If he'd followed his nature, he would have been even more monstrous. At least, thats how I see the Emperor compared to baseline humanity - impossibly, monstrously powerful.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

VanSandman posted:

If he'd followed his nature, he would have been even more monstrous. At least, thats how I see the Emperor compared to baseline humanity - impossibly, monstrously powerful.

You're saying he wasn't monstrous? The guy had a throneroom made from living people that were fused together... Being monstrously powerful and monstrous are two completely different things.

And I wasn't referring to Kurze's nature, I was referring to allowing the environment around him to make him what he was.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

berzerkmonkey posted:

VanSandman posted:

Is he really that evil at first? I mean his whole crusade on Nostromo is to wipe out crime and injustice, which implies some innate sense of morality and spark of nobility at his core. But growing up alone as a wildman, he has no greater ideal of civilization beyond the use of pure force. His moral judgments are inchoate and instinctive, and due to his ignorance he is unable to build any lasting institutions or structures which can maintain the peace once he is gone. These failures, his inability to trust in others or believe in things outside of or greater than himself, along with his psychic powers and the strain of committing ever greater atrocities to prove a point which nobody else accepts, eventually drives him mad. His dyign words are so bitter because he doesn't understand why everyone else doesn't see the world as he does. Maybe he really doesn't really understand what he did wrong, or else maybe the realization of his mistakes combined with the fatalist powerlessnes of already knowing the future is so terrible that he basically dies inside and regresses to a sort of bestial/childlike state as Night Haunter. It's definitely an intersting story tha tI think is very much hinted at in the material, though most of the time we only see Kurze in teh background. I don't know if it's better to have it as its own story or not, honestly.

As for the emperor, I think it would be interesting to portray him as being basically a psychic gestalt of humanity as a whole. People who look into him will end up seeing what they want to see, a mirror of their own expectations and psyche. For instance, the soldier Grammaticus looks into his eyes and sees an eternity of war and conquest. As mankind regresses to barbarism in the darkness of old night, so does the Emperor become more militant.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 2, 2014

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

You mean apart from the Avatar of Khaine?

Isn't that a warp powered construct that uses an eldar exarch life to activate itself? I mean not to be picky but it doesn't really seems like its a warp entity that's made of positive emotions in my opinion.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

berzerkmonkey posted:

You're saying he wasn't monstrous? The guy had a throneroom made from living people that were fused together... Being monstrously powerful and monstrous are two completely different things.

And I wasn't referring to Kurze's nature, I was referring to allowing the environment around him to make him what he was.

What I'm saying is that Kurze may be a real monstrous rear end in a top hat, but he stuck to a single planet. It takes a sick kind of vision to picture ruling a whole galaxy.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

Isn't that a warp powered construct that uses an eldar exarch life to activate itself? I mean not to be picky but it doesn't really seems like its a warp entity that's made of positive emotions in my opinion.
It's a fragmented chunk of Khaine himself actually.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

It's a fragmented chunk of Khaine himself actually.

So it's a warp powered construct? Gotcha :v:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Demiurge4 posted:

So it's a warp powered construct? Gotcha :v:
What is a god if not the construct of the mind desperate to enforce narrative on an uncaring universe? :dawkins101:

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Okay, got my hands on Prince of Crows and I have to say, Sevatar is a very entertaining monster. It was a cruel tease to just leave his storyline hanging, though.

I really like ADB's take on the Night Lords because they are almost too messed up to be a Legion. They don't get bad luck or betrayed in a twist that is not their fault; they legitimately gently caress things up and have to scramble to pick up the pieces. They embrace cowardice and childish spite in a way that is almost endearing, especially after reading about so many unerring, uber-loyal supersoldiers across fiction.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Sephyr posted:

Okay, got my hands on Prince of Crows and I have to say, Sevatar is a very entertaining monster. It was a cruel tease to just leave his storyline hanging, though.

I really like ADB's take on the Night Lords because they are almost too messed up to be a Legion. They don't get bad luck or betrayed in a twist that is not their fault; they legitimately gently caress things up and have to scramble to pick up the pieces. They embrace cowardice and childish spite in a way that is almost endearing, especially after reading about so many unerring, uber-loyal supersoldiers across fiction.

I think ADB's suppose to be writing a Night Lords HH book with Sevatar. He really is one of the better characters we've seen.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Really? I haven't seen him mention it on his blog or FB.

I'd be all like :hawaaaafap: if he were writing it though, don't get me wrong.

edit: Oh wait I see, it's supposed to be a novella. Not a full novel. Still. :hawaaaafap:

The Rat fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 3, 2014

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sephyr posted:

I'm looking forward to the omnibus. It'll be my first time reading anything about these guys.

Do the Night Lords have any friendships with Space Marines outside their legion? The Garro and Tarvitz, Kharn and Argel kind or even the lovely Ahriman and Wyrdmake kind?

Are the books mostly 30K or 40K?

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

I'm looking forward to the omnibus. It'll be my first time reading anything about these guys.

Do the Night Lords have any friendships with Space Marines outside their legion? The Garro and Tarvitz, Kharn and Argel kind or even the lovely Ahriman and Wyrdmake kind?

Are the books mostly 30K or 40K?

The Night Lords are probably the best written chapter due to ADB taking the lead. There aren't really any friendships within and outside of a chapter filled with murderers, thieves and rapists but Talos finds a brother of sorts within the Red Corsairs.

Most of the books are 40k.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Kegslayer posted:

The Night Lords are probably the best written chapter due to ADB taking the lead. There aren't really any friendships within and outside of a chapter filled with murderers, thieves and rapists but Talos finds a brother of sorts within the Red Corsairs.

Most of the books are 40k.

Said brother is an Apothecary that loathes other peoples biological messiness.
I don't know why ADB's stuff works so well for me - honestly, most of the time I like happy-ish endings to things that I read, but when it's ADB writing Traitor Marines I just forget all that and enjoy the ride.

He really is too good for 40k stuff. I'm so glad he doesn't realize that.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

VanSandman posted:

He really is too good for 40k stuff. I'm so glad he doesn't realize that.

He's addressed this sentiment in his blog, and got a bit bristly about it. AFAIR he basically thinks that the idea of being "too good to write [x] (often genre fiction)" is dumb, and that he writes what he enjoys writing.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Has anyone tried reading the Dark Eldar books? I'm curious what they're like and how good they are, as DE were my first army a couple years ago. I didn't even know any DE books existed until I saw a Forbidden Planet email plugging the latest in Andy Chambers' trilogy.

Also, the ebooks are collected here: http://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-40000/dark-eldar-ebundle.html but cost £2.50 more than buying all the books separately! What's up with that :)

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
The scene in the Night Lords trilogy where they are working alongside another traitor chapter, get suddenly ambushed, and the other marines turn around to ask the NL for help only to realize they already ran away is still one of the funniest things I've read (next to a certain battle oath made by a character from the 3rd book).

EDIT: Technically Sevatar is on the Lion's flagship that is currently orbiting Macragge in Unremembered Empire.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

krushgroove posted:

Has anyone tried reading the Dark Eldar books? I'm curious what they're like and how good they are, as DE were my first army a couple years ago. I didn't even know any DE books existed until I saw a Forbidden Planet email plugging the latest in Andy Chambers' trilogy.

Also, the ebooks are collected here: http://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-40000/dark-eldar-ebundle.html but cost £2.50 more than buying all the books separately! What's up with that :)

I read Path of the Renegade. It has some amusing ideas, but the characters a bit too one-note. The author also doesn't take th concept of the insanely messed-up nature of DE society and ambitions far enough; in the end its just a "chase the McGuffin" story with a few dark twists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Don't read the Dark Eldar books. I got to the second one and it was a horrendous slog.