Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

This is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Since film mishaps are in vogue it seems, my brain decided to somehow load a roll of color negative film "backwards" into a camera. For a second I thought I might still get something out of the roll but then realized that it was the paper backing that got all the light, not the emulsion, and then I cried a little.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Putrid Grin posted:

Since film mishaps are in vogue it seems, my brain decided to somehow load a roll of color negative film "backwards" into a camera. For a second I thought I might still get something out of the roll but then realized that it was the paper backing that got all the light, not the emulsion, and then I cried a little.

You can do it with 35mm film and get redscale photos: https://www.flickr.com/groups/redscale/

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

eggsovereasy posted:

You can do it with 35mm film and get redscale photos: https://www.flickr.com/groups/redscale/

I thought that was actual red-scale film and not just shooting through the anti-halation layer, which should just give you softer slightly halo-ed images.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Spedman posted:

I thought that was actual red-scale film and not just shooting through the anti-halation layer, which should just give you softer slightly halo-ed images.

I think Lomography sells redscale film that's already wound backwards so you don't have to do anything other than load it, but otherwise you can make your own by winding it upside down: http://fmphotocourses.blogspot.com/2007/07/how-to-make-redscale-film.html

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Spedman posted:

Film has multiple color-sensitive layers and red is generally the furthest from the front of the emulsion. When you flip the film backwards, red light reaches the red layer without being attenuated through the other layers, giving the "red scale."

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

ansel autisms posted:

Film has multiple color-sensitive layers and red is generally the furthest from the front of the emulsion. When you flip the film backwards, red light reaches the red layer without being attenuated through the other layers, giving the "red scale."

This is also why sigma sensor's make the most "film like" images.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
That's cool. I had no idea that color film was just a combination of 3 separate R/G/B exposures. But I guess it makes total sense.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Is B&W film a lot thinner than color? I assume it only has one layer, or maybe not?

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

I made a series of decisions and now I own a Chamonix.

Which is really exciting except I'm flying out of the country tomorrow and my share of the luggage is already spoken for with the Hassy and various accoutrements. So: what's the best way to store a LF lens while not in use? Obviously I'll leave it uncocked, but do I need to do anything fancy with the aperture or shutter?

Also, I know a lot of you either live in or travel to Japan a lot -- are there any must-see film places? Is Map Camera worth checking out?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

chamonix club :hfive:

You'll probably be fine just leaving it uncocked.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Baron Dirigible posted:

I made a series of decisions and now I own a Chamonix.

Which is really exciting except I'm flying out of the country tomorrow and my share of the luggage is already spoken for with the Hassy and various accoutrements. So: what's the best way to store a LF lens while not in use? Obviously I'll leave it uncocked, but do I need to do anything fancy with the aperture or shutter?

Also, I know a lot of you either live in or travel to Japan a lot -- are there any must-see film places? Is Map Camera worth checking out?

Chamonix club :hfive:

Just what I've been told: uncocked, T mode, shutter closed.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Cool, makes sense why Lomo can do it so easily, and then over-charge for a cheap flipped film.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Saint Fu posted:

Is B&W film a lot thinner than color? I assume it only has one layer, or maybe not?

If I remember correctly, part of the reason black and white film has much better dynamic range than color does is that it's got more emulsion, all working for the same thing.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
chamonix club :hfive:

My LF lenses get stored uncocked but frankly that's only because cocking them is the last thing I do before taking a picture.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

chamonix shot

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

How do the Fujinon LF lenses stack up against the Nikkor ones?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

try it with a lime posted:

How do the Fujinon LF lenses stack up against the Nikkor ones?

Very well. Fuji is known for making sharp as heck optics.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
On a broad level, the Fuji line's quality is comparable to the Schneider or Nikkor lines. Specific designs and individual lens results vary of course, but it's not going to be garbage. I have a Fujinon-NW 150/5.6, I haven't taken a microscope to the images but it does just fine and I've shot Polaroids wide open.

Kerry Thalmann's site is pretty much the go-to reference, you won't find much other information except for maybe technical specs in a big list. Fuji makes nice stuff but they really really suck at marketing and conveying info about their products, particularly to the West.

Usual Fuji rule of thumb: if it's labeled on the outside rim, it's multicoated (labeled "-W" but referred to as "-NW type"). Inside rim, single coated ("-W type"). Obviously coverage varies with the design too, and even within a specific design type (eg "-W type" vs "-SW type") there can be substantially different coverage between different manufacturers or different models of the lens. The Fujinon-W 150/5.6 throws a 245mm image circle, the NW 150/5.6 is 224mm (the CM-W is a slightly newer version, also multicoated, 223mm circle), a Symmar 150/5.6 is 210mm.

I would avoid the A-series in particular unless you're doing macro work. They're repro lenses, so they're slow as poo poo, but they don't have the charm (read: bargain basement price) that make G-clarons or other repro lenses attractive. The CM-W series also doesn't really offer much over the NW series in my opinion. Wouldn't turn it down if it was a bargain, but I wouldn't hunt it down either. Also the W 150/6.3 is a weirdo lens in the lineup, it's a Tessar not a plasmat.

My recommendation would just be to buy whatever you can get cheap, unit variation is probably a bigger deal on the whole than the difference between Nikkor/Fujiinon/Schneider/Rodenstock within a lens type and if you bargain hunt you can usually get one of the above for under $150. "Apo-Symmar" or the like are a really marginal gain and in some cases they're literally just a new name for the same lens. If you can get them extra super cheap the rebadged lenses like the Caltars are nice, but double-check the lens formula before you buy, and remember that you can bargain-hunt first-party lenses pretty damned cheap nowadays. I would shoot for a Plasmat rather than a Tessar, and note that 135mm lenses do carry a small premium over nearby focal lengths like 150mm because it's virtually impossible to locate rangefinder cams for press cameras (eg top rangefinder Graflex) in any other FL except 135mm.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 4, 2014

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Not really even sure what I'm doing with photography anymore but at least I'm shooting a lot :3

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Please never stop, I LOVE your portraits.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I've been doing a little more work on the 8x10. The standards are now done and attached to the base, along with the focusing rack. The bellows extend to about 650mm, and can collapse to around 200-190mm, so its got a good range to work with.

Here it is a the moment:

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Spedman posted:

I've been doing a little more work on the 8x10. The standards are now done and attached to the base, along with the focusing rack. The bellows extend to about 650mm, and can collapse to around 200-190mm, so its got a good range to work with.

Here it is a the moment:

how do you plan on transporting it?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Genderfluid posted:

how do you plan on transporting it?

It'll fold down to around 35x37x20cm, and will be around the same weight if not lighter than a Speed Graphic. I'm going to put a handle on it so it can be carried around directly, or I'll just get a carry bag for it.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Not really even sure what I'm doing with photography anymore but at least I'm shooting a lot :3

Can someone with more color experience than me tell me what's going on with the skin tones here? The look in her eyes is haunting and great, but her skin looks sickly.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

thetzar posted:

Can someone with more color experience than me tell me what's going on with the skin tones here? The look in her eyes is haunting and great, but her skin looks sickly.

At a guess? It's probably just color balance issues stemming from a combination of healthy exposure, open shade giving it a slight blue cast and a lab scan trying to autocorrect that. No idea how much post Dorkasaurus_rex puts into his stuff.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Ok, so I don't have to recalibrate my monitor. I was wondering if anyone else was seeing what I did.

Also, Dorkosaurus, keep on keeping on. Your work pleases me.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

8th-snype posted:

At a guess? It's probably just color balance issues stemming from a combination of healthy exposure, open shade giving it a slight blue cast and a lab scan trying to autocorrect that. No idea how much post Dorkasaurus_rex puts into his stuff.

I just did Lightroom adjustments but my post skills aren't so great, admittedly. maybe I don't have a very good eye for this stuff? Thanks for the encouragement y'all, it's meaningful n stuff <3

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

With the camera getting closed to finished, I decided to cook mix some chemicals to make some collodion for making wet plate negatives rather than tintype positives.

Bathroom, with a bunch of beakers, solvents and assorted stuff:

Mixed collodion, it's all cloudy to start with, then is good to go after clearing up in a few weeks:

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I just did Lightroom adjustments but my post skills aren't so great, admittedly. maybe I don't have a very good eye for this stuff? Thanks for the encouragement y'all, it's meaningful n stuff <3

Your photos are the poo poo.

Those past two photos are def too pink tho.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

I murdered the test roll I put through my RZ during my attempts to develop it, but an old roll I had from my C220 came out fine. Even with an old scanner (Epson Perfection 2450), the results are very nice:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVXY8OEZAEQ

Interview with the photographer who captured the Windows XP wallpaper, Bliss. Apparently he did it with a Mamiya RZ67 and some kind of Fuji film (probably Velvia). Neat stuff.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
Anyone know enough about Pentacon Sixes to know what bit might be not working when I can't get the film counter to work when film is loaded, though it's fine without any film loaded? Managed to ruin a roll already finding out, though when I rerolled it to test it again it worked, so I'm at a loss.

IanTheM fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 12, 2014

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
If I have no intention of shooting 8x10 film and just want to mess around with paper negatives and such, is there any point in picking this up?

It was priced at $35. Lens was marked BAUSCH AND LOMB and TESSAR but there weren't any other identifiers or aperture as far as I could tell.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

voodoorootbeer posted:

If I have no intention of shooting 8x10 film and just want to mess around with paper negatives and such, is there any point in picking this up?

It was priced at $35. Lens was marked BAUSCH AND LOMB and TESSAR but there weren't any other identifiers or aperture as far as I could tell.

Buy that immediately.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

For $35?! Yes!

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -