Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Sherbet Land was also an N64 track. Really hammering on the the 90s nostalgia in this one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I really hope they plan on adding more tracks as dlc a few months after the game is out. I would buy everyone one.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Spacebump posted:

Wonder what the last unrevealed retro track is.

Hopefully a Super Circuit one, it already got the shaft in MK7.

Chaltab posted:

Sherbet Land was also an N64 track. Really hammering on the the 90s nostalgia in this one!

I think those two were different besides the name and the fact that they're snow tracks. The 64 Sherbet was reused as a retro track before.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Kurtofan posted:

Hopefully a Super Circuit one, it already got the shaft in MK7.

I think those two were different besides the name and the fact that they're snow tracks. The 64 Sherbet was reused as a retro track before.

Looking at the list of retro tracks and assuming Sherbet is the GCN because they already have 4 n64 tracks. We know there are 3 3ds tracks, 2 wii tracks, 2 ds tracks, 2 gcn tracks, 1 gba track, and 1 snes track. The last one must be from snes or gba

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mario Kart 8 producer Hideki Konno on Blue Shells:

quote:

We do hear, and a lot of people out there say it, that Mario Kart is all about luck. That if you're at the front then you'll get hit with a blue shell, so it's all about luck. That feature is not random — it doesn't just happen. There is a lot of adjustment and there is a lot of thought and effort put into that system, and developing it in a way that actually promotes game balance. I would hope people understand that as well.

Not sure how blue shells promote game balance but at least you can turn them off!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Is there a compiled list of the known retro tracks out there?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Kirios posted:

Is there a compiled list of the known retro tracks out there?

here are all the retro tracks mentioned or seen in links from this thread

SNES donut plains 3

N64 toads turnpike
N64 rainbow road
N64 yoshi valley
N64 royal raceway

GBA mario circuit

DS cheep cheep beach
DS Tick Tock Clock

GCN sherbet land
GCN dry dry desert

Wii moo moo meadows
Wii Grumble Volcano

3DS dk jungle
3DS Piranha Plant Pipeway
3DS Music Park

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 3, 2014

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Quest For Glory II posted:

Not sure how blue shells promote game balance but at least you can turn them off!

You can?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I hope you can still detour over to Peach's castle in the N64 track and see what the Mario 64 castle looks like remodeled in HD.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Quest For Glory II posted:

Mario Kart 8 producer Hideki Konno on Blue Shells:

Guys like Sakurai and Konno think "game balance" means "making sure everyone gets a chance to win" not "the most skilled person wins"

I mean, I'm getting and playing the poo poo out of MK8, but that really seems to be what they think

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

TheQat posted:

Guys like Sakurai and Konno think "game balance" means "making sure everyone gets a chance to win" not "the most skilled person wins"

I mean, I'm getting and playing the poo poo out of MK8, but that really seems to be what they think

Uh, that's what most game designers think. That's why winning off a good top deck is important in trading card games and why valve put random crits in team fortress 2. It's hugely important that a new player has at least a chance to win against a skilled opponent or they won't want to keep playing.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Nah just implement matching that puts new people with new people.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

g0lbez posted:

You can?

In local and maybe in a private match online on mkwii, you definitely can. There are multiple settings for items on mkwii

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't mind some item rubberbanding as long as it's dialed back from what it was like in Mariokart Wii. That game was a constant cycle of being bombarded from first to last, then getting charity items that dragged you from last to first. The result often felt out of your hands, moreso than any other MK game.

MK7 was much better-tuned, but that was handled by Retro, who aren't doing MK8.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Kabanaw posted:

Uh, that's what most game designers think. That's why winning off a good top deck is important in trading card games and why valve put random crits in team fortress 2. It's hugely important that a new player has at least a chance to win against a skilled opponent or they won't want to keep playing.
Well yeah but you can turn random crits off in TF2 too, and that's how it's handled in comp play. Bear in mind TF2 is also at a point where they are just overloading it with random poo poo. Bloated as gently caress game.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Not sure if this is already known, but Tropical Freeze appears to be $10 off ($39.99) right now on Amazon and Best Buy. And apparently Walmart has it for the same price, except that's the regular price for it and not a sale price. I haven't bought a game for the Wii U in a while so I'm headed to Best Buy to pick this up!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TheQat posted:

The blue shell is also a real balance tool, though. In Mario Kart if you're in first you are protected from a lot of poo poo. You're not in the middle of the pack getting slowed down by getting hit with triple red shells or people in front of you dropping green shells or bananas or fake item boxes, or getting hit by bullet bills or people with stars. If you're in first you might have one guy behind you throwing a single red shell you can easily block. The blue shell evens out the field a bit because otherwise if you pull out in front you're going to be moving at a faster average rate than all the people getting constantly hosed over since almost nothing can touch you.

If there's a blue shell coming out every second then yeah it'd be too much, and that's why it should come out at a tuned rate, but to say that the blue shell is totally random bullshit is pretty short sighted.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think I liked the Blur and SARS implementation more. (well blur more because you knew what you were going to get and could intentionally get the item). Spammable, but also avoidable with proficient skill.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Kabanaw posted:

It's good (if also frustrating) for experienced players too. The problem I've noticed when playing with no or limited items is that it can get boring in front and really hard to gain if you're behind.

Supercar Gautier posted:

I don't mind some item rubberbanding as long as it's dialed back from what it was like in Mariokart Wii. That game was a constant cycle of being bombarded from first to last, then getting charity items that dragged you from last to first. The result often felt out of your hands, moreso than any other MK game.

MK7 was much better-tuned, but that was handled by Retro, who aren't doing MK8.
Retro helped out but the game in general was still handled by the usual MK team afaik.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kabanaw posted:

Winning coming down to pure chance also stops people from playing too, it's a lose-lose. Even in a non-competitive game like Mario Kart it gets pretty boring when someone lost the lead because someone else had the right item given to them at the right time.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

greatn posted:

I hope you can still detour over to Peach's castle in the N64 track and see what the Mario 64 castle looks like remodeled in HD.

You can't, first thing I looked for in the trailer. The road's barriered off.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Droid Washington posted:

Not sure if this is already known, but Tropical Freeze appears to be $10 off ($39.99) right now on Amazon and Best Buy. And apparently Walmart has it for the same price, except that's the regular price for it and not a sale price. I haven't bought a game for the Wii U in a while so I'm headed to Best Buy to pick this up!

I hate to quote myself, but I just got back and not only got Tropical Freeze, but until tomorrow you get 15% off accessories for buying a game.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Sire Oblivion posted:

Mario Kart gets pretty boring when someone lost the lead because someone else had the right item given to them at the right time.

Depends on if you were in the lead or not!

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I think I liked the Blur and SARS implementation more. (well blur more because you knew what you were going to get and could intentionally get the item). Spammable, but also avoidable with proficient skill.
I like the way the Blue shell was implemented in Mario Kart 64, where it didn't fly or explode. If you heard it coming you could take steps to avoid it, like breaking hard and letting it clobber the former second-place driver.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Chaltab posted:

I like the way the Blue shell was implemented in Mario Kart 64, where it didn't fly or explode. If you heard it coming you could take steps to avoid it, like breaking hard and letting it clobber the former second-place driver.

First place gives you mushrooms just so you can counter blue shells. I remember doing a online race with a guy I know and he was in 6th but he hates when I win for whatever reason so he tossed a blue shell at me- saw it start it's dive down and used the mushroom to dodge it and he loving exploded at me for "BULLSHIT IT'S SUPPOSED TO HIT YOU"

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

All this item talk got me thinking, I hope next Mario Kart we get is a new Double Dash.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

The Bee posted:

If they could bring freaking Baby Daisy back Dry Bones had better be on the way too.
Dry Bones won't be returning because of his name, Nintendo doesn't want the results screen after a race saying things like*:

Mario
Dry Bones
Daisy

*probably true

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Electromax posted:

Depends on if you were in the lead or not!

Nah, feels like a hollow victory for me because I didn't outplay the other players I got a good dice roll which has absolutely nothing to do with my skill. Different strokes.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

.TakaM posted:

Dry Bones won't be returning because of his name, Nintendo doesn't want the results screen after a race saying things like*:

Mario
Dry Bones
Daisy

*probably true

Bowser? I hardly know 'er!

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Sire Oblivion posted:

Nah, feels like a hollow victory for me because I didn't outplay the other players I got a good dice roll which has absolutely nothing to do with my skill. Different strokes.

Do you ever play any sort of card game? Almost every successful modern game has a not-insignificant luck factor.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

njsykora posted:

Nintendo, you loving monsters. :mad:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Misandu posted:

Do you ever play any sort of card game? Almost every successful modern game has a not-insignificant luck factor.

No, it's also the reason I don't care for turn-based RPGs.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
My strategy in 150cc since the N64 days thanks to blue shells and thunderbolts has been to fall back and grab a super item, race back up to 2-3rd holding onto that item until the final stretch, then using it at the last second to minimize the chances of being randomly screwed.

It wouldn't be nearly as bad if these items weren't combined with opponents rubber banding with 1st place in the more recent games.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
My strategy is to be good at the game. If you get hit with a blue shell then you deal with it. If you are good at the game, most of the time you get hit you will only fall a short distance back and often will still be in 1st. The really bad one is the lightning bolt. But no one bitches about that for some reason.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
One of the tricks to deal with the blue shell(at least in DS and 7) is to keep an eye on the items. If someone has a blue shell, then it's time to slam on the brakes and let some other schmuck take the hit.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Waltzing Along posted:

My strategy is to be good at the game. If you get hit with a blue shell then you deal with it. If you are good at the game, most of the time you get hit you will only fall a short distance back and often will still be in 1st. The really bad one is the lightning bolt. But no one bitches about that for some reason.

Bitching about Mario Kart is a bizarre, if popular, pastime. In my experience the better player wins the most matches out of 100, but won't necessarily win any given race.

It might be less aggravating if people took a little longer view of their performance. I'm not saying you should scratch tally marks into a notebook every time you finish a race of Don't Drink and Drive, but let the die rolls balance out and there's a large skill element to the game, no question.

edit:

thetoughestbean posted:

One of the tricks to deal with the blue shell(at least in DS and 7) is to keep an eye on the items. If someone has a blue shell, then it's time to slam on the brakes and let some other schmuck take the hit.

Also screen-peek like crazy in local multiplayer, or at least keep your ears tuned. No blue shell should be a surprise.

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 4, 2014

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Whose ePeen is so tied to their MarioKart rankings that they actually get butthurt about blue shells? FUN. It's for FUN.

also

gameface
Nov 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

Except the road was barriered off in the original, too. The whole track was. That jump was really the only way you could actually fall off that track, short of getting star rammed near the barrier or some crazy item combo. However, it does seem like the slope is shallower than the N64 version, so you can't get any unnatural air to attempt the jump with. That plus the track starts in anti-grav mode right after the starting line, which probably limits how high you can go over the track.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

gameface posted:

Except the road was barriered off in the original, too. The whole track was. That jump was really the only way you could actually fall off that track, short of getting star rammed near the barrier or some crazy item combo. However, it does seem like the slope is shallower than the N64 version, so you can't get any unnatural air to attempt the jump with. That plus the track starts in anti-grav mode right after the starting line, which probably limits how high you can go over the track.

In Mario Kart 64 that road wasn't blocked. You could drive right up to the castle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gameface
Nov 23, 2007

Spacebump posted:

In Mario Kart 64 that road wasn't blocked. You could drive right up to the castle.

I must have misunderstood the question, then. I was talking about Rainbow Road, not Royal Raceway.
EDIT: Maybe I didn't see the quote when I was typing my reply. :saddowns:

• Locked thread