Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Can someone please link me to the video of the guy screaming about no wizard towers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
Uh, how the heck do you split an army stack?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cyclomatic posted:

You cant. Armies stuck together stay together

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Cyclomatic posted:

When you have the army selected, look up at the unit bar at the top and click the Movement Points icon under each unit you want to move. Anything green will be moved when you move the stack, everything else will stay behind.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Heh. I.. think I broke this campaign mission, and the diplomacy system, utterly.

The objectives were to 'conquer the islands' with a bonus objective for 'win with at least one ally' (giving the impression you can win with more than one). It's a frigging GIGANTIC map, which is a bunch of unconnected islands(a naval map, for once!), as well as an entire underground ocean ALSO filled with islands. And you, smack dab in the center with FOUR hostile empires on all four corners of the map. However, the empires are squaring off in a 2v2 - the left side is Commonwealth, the right side is Elven Court. If you ally with one, the other will declare war on you.

When you start you get a bonus objective to go destroy a dam that will flood the elven court draconian warlord's lands, and you can frame his ally, the rogue, for it, causing them to declare war and the draconian to make peace with you. I did this, and then offered peace to the Commonwealth archdruid, but not the commonwealth dreadnought. Shortly afterward, I cemented an alliance with the warlord, discovering that it caused the archdruid to declare war, pretty much permanently sending my disposition with her to like -1000. However, since I never made peace with the dreadnought, she was still at 0, as we had never fought, or trespassed, I sent a peace treaty to her, she accepted. I then ALLIED with her. She ALSO accepted.

I was now allied with two computers that were at war with each other (they used my shared LoS to spam hostile spells on each other every turn). Somehow, the draconian didn't notice until like 20+ turns later when I cast a spell that revealed all cities on the map to me and my allies - somehow this revealed my alliance to him. He sent me an angry message.. and didn't break our alliance or declare war. So, with him I finish off his rogue ally, and I get another angry message.. and the archdruid, with negative ten billion relation with me, instantly declares peace as if I picked her side. I'm now allied with two NPCs, and at peace with a third.

So, I send a swarm of a million shadow stalkers into her territory, break peace, and take all her cities at once, decapitating her in two turns. Her dreadnought ally sends me an angry message, and the dead draconian rogue declares peace with em but otherwise doesn't do anything. I'm now allied with two NPCs that are at war with each other and each own half the map, and they're both simultaneously convinced I'm on their side and aganist them. :psyduck:

And all of this in 77 turns. I was actually ready to kill her at like turn 60, but it took me like 17 turns to gather my entire maps worth of troops from the top right corner to the bottom left corner to rush her - the map is gigantic. The whole map so far also took like seven hours :psyduck:.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 4, 2014

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So the game has been in a top spot on Steam best sellers for 3 days now, how are sales going? I hope this is already considered a success :)

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Resurgence + Spy Drone = :getin:

Summons are incredibly powerful, it frees up your main city to quickly tech to T3 units, or even to allow faster research for more summons.

I wish the Racial units had more diversity and that there was unique class/race combo units.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

A.C. posted:

When you have the army selected, look up at the unit bar at the top and click the Movement Points icon under each unit you want to move. Anything green will be moved when you move the stack, everything else will stay behind.

You can also right click to invert your selection. Ie if you want to move 5 out of 6 units, left click then right click the one to stay behind

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Xae posted:

Resurgence + Spy Drone = :getin:

Summons are incredibly powerful, it frees up your main city to quickly tech to T3 units, or even to allow faster research for more summons.

I wish the Racial units had more diversity and that there was unique class/race combo units.

I really wish Warbreed Goblins were like the size of a regular person instead of looking nigh identical to human ones. That would have been hilarious.

They even have the same skin tone :sigh: Draconians and Orcs managed to at least get the red/green skin!

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

This is the best videogame I've played in years. Seriously. :D

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Trebuchets: worth building, or kinda dumb?

Using 1 as a garrison in a city could work I imagine. Walls slowing down a scout or w/e, and you just pop the fucker with a rock for 20 a turn.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.
This game is just great. Takes me right back to games when I played as a kid, from dashes of Warcraft 3 and Civ.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

It's been said before, but even though the Tome of Wonders is a fantastic resource, having to launch a game to access half the content feels incredibly restricting. I want to be able to compare stats and skills when creating characters, but all that info is locked where I can't easily use it. Has anyone dumped the thing to a website or wiki yet?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Woot, on the final mission of this path - in the true Age of Wonders finale fashion it's a 1v7. :haw:

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Lexorin posted:

I think my only issue with the game is that the research tree seems a little sparse. I've yet to have a game that I didn't research everything before it was half finished. And it seems like there's not a whole lot of variety for spells in comparison to other games in the genre.

What class were you playing? Dreadnaught and Warlord don't have that many spells compared to other classes.

Anyways, a lot of people think research goes too fast in the game. We're not sure of the best way to deal with it, I think in the early game it's fine, with you unlocking 1 skill per 5 turns, but later on it's too easy to amass 200 knowledge or more per turn, so you can clear end game research in 3 turns. It makes the mid game too short and lopsided... People have been asking for an "Epic" slider, a la Civ, but I can't help but feel we need to change the economy in the base game as well to deal with it.

I'll have to book a case to look into Chaos Rift. I can imagine the AI can't cope with it.

Demiurge4 posted:

So the game has been in a top spot on Steam best sellers for 3 days now, how are sales going? I hope this is already considered a success :)

They're going great! We're very happy with it :) My boss actually managed to lose a bet with someone about sales because he didn't expect the game to do this well.

Drake_263 posted:

Is there any way of building bridges? Builders can make roads, towers and fortresses, but there seems to be no way of crossing rivers that aren't boats.

Bridges have a bunch of weird rules associated with them in game, so we didn't let builder's make them. It was too unstable I'm afraid.

Dandywalken posted:

How's the game for mod potential? Something with Tier 4 Upkeep increased greatly would be interesting IMO

At the moment you can only make new scenarios and do very limited modding local in the map that you make. In theory you could hack the RPK files, but they're not really set up in a way that would let you easily edit them without our tools.

Eschatos posted:

How is which new research topics become available determined? It's kinda annoying when my theocrat has researched all the available tier 1,2, and 3 spells but still hasn't been able to research the tier 1 spell that marks enemies as heretics.

See this post:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3532785&userid=113726&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post427691376

For unlocking levels, I don't know the numbers, but essentially the system gathers all the spells that aren't in the book at tier 1, and says "Do I have at least X spells?" If it doesn't it adds all Tier 2 spells, checks again, adds all Tier 3 spells, etc, until it has gathered X spells. Then it chooses one of the spells at random and adds it to the book. This means the situation you descibe can happen, but should (in theory) be rare...

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Gerblyn posted:

At the moment you can only make new scenarios and do very limited modding local in the map that you make. In theory you could hack the RPK files, but they're not really set up in a way that would let you easily edit them without our tools.

You guys should seriously consider letting people add new troops. Lack of unique units for each race/class combo has been something a lot of people have been asking for and it's a great way to see people pad out the game with some unique scenarios.

Also for anyone trying to figure out how to properly block chokepoints like bridges. You can move diagonally off a bridge, so it can effectively be traversed from 3 hexes, which means a fort at the end is useless by itself. But if you put a stack in the fort, and 1 unit on both sides of it, anyone attacking either of those units will pull the combat into the fort with the 1 unit plus the fort stack. This is great for blocking mountain passes against anyone who doesn't have mountaineering or completely block off bridge crossings.

Oh and gently caress the sorcerers shield ability. 80% physical reduction!? :argh:

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Gerblyn posted:

Anyways, a lot of people think research goes too fast in the game. We're not sure of the best way to deal with it, I think in the early game it's fine, with you unlocking 1 skill per 5 turns, but later on it's too easy to amass 200 knowledge or more per turn, so you can clear end game research in 3 turns. It makes the mid game too short and lopsided... People have been asking for an "Epic" slider, a la Civ, but I can't help but feel we need to change the economy in the base game as well to deal with it.

Extending the midgame would be great - it'd also double to help make it so the current problem of endless swarms of t4 units that happens when a match drags on too long will be delayed. As it is, once the swarms of dreadnoughts/shadow stalkers/manticores start pumping out, it becomes a bit homogenous as your only viable counter is either your own tier 4 unit or using your tier 3 unit instead if yours is incapable of beating his (stalker or smiting vs dreadnought, for example). Smaller tier units are actually balanced pretty well against tier 4 units when they're in moderation, as you've got lots of cool abilities that can screw over an overextended tier 4 unit, but it's just hopeless when you're fighting sixstacks of tier 4s. Maybe just increase build times and upkeep? Would help encourage mixed armies a bit more.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Yeah, the tech tree really needs some fleshing out. Tech costs in most 4X games don't just increase exponentially - they do it for a long time. It feels pretty awesome to look at a late-game tech early in Civ or Endless Space that would take hundreds of turns to research at your current pace, and then during the endgame you snap it up in half a dozen turns. That's progression, and right now the tech costs simply don't scale appropriately into the late game here. It feels like there isn't any endgame at all.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Wolpertinger posted:

Heh. I.. think I broke this campaign mission, and the diplomacy system, utterly.

This was great, thanks for taking out the time to post. I pre-ordered this drat game and haven't had a chance to play it yet. I really hope I can get time this weekend.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I just played this game all evening. I love it so far. It's closer to king's bounty than anything else, except you can settle cities. But, the choice of where to settle doesn't seem too varied. You settle where 2-3 resources are stacked together and that's pre-determined.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.
After playing a couple games on emperor on random maps the ai seems quite a bit overly cowardly to me. There seems to be a double whammy going on where they're extremely reluctant to take fights where they don't have extremely good odds, and they also don't really organize stacks offensively in a way that could create such a situation. In fact in 2 emperor games I never once saw the ai attempt to attack a non-empty city, and it even refused to attack empty cities if there was a near-even army in sight. Possibly at some point the ai's offensive routines kick in and it attacks with an army but I haven't seen it yet, despite the emperor ai at one point having a half dozen land battleships when my only t4 unit was a quest reward giant. Not only did it never launch a strategic attack, it also never attacked any stack with more than 1 or 2 guys including the dinky 1 full stack I had outside its city so there was never any pressure stopping me from just going full economy, having 0 units on every city and eventually pumping out enough cannons to break the ai's huge turtle. I'd really like to see the ai launch an offensive with a full stack or three once in a while and take fights that are near even, especially in the early and mid game where it could deter a 100% economy strategy with minimal units. It might not make the ai a challenge but a fight for survival against an opponent who eventually lags behind is a lot more fun than slowly building up to crack a pretty non-threatening nut. Also, I know the ai doesn't really rely on them for income but it would help the believability a bit for me if it used those huge stacks to take the independent buildings within its territory instead of leaving them occupied all game.

Also, small maps are still really big, I would greatly appreciate it if they added tiny and duel settings. I like games where borders touch quickly and every city is significant and the current small setting is a bit past that which is unusual for the very smallest map setting in a 4x. I have some doubts about the ai's ability to handle such a large and complex map as well.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Good god, the final Torchlighter path for commonwealth mission. I'm 18 turns in and I just lost my capital city! I don't even know where to start here, hahah - I move in one direction to counter one of the SEVEN PEOPLE attacking me and one of the others comes from the other direction, aaahh. The 3 elven court dudes are at war against the four commonwealth dudes, but since they place you and all your capturable cities literally smack dab in the middle, you're in the way! I thought i saw someone else on this mission earlier, anyone got any suggestions? 'rush' doesn't seem like as safe of a tactic here when you're so utterly surrounded.

The campaign's so masochistic, but I love it anyway - it seems like each mission is designed to push you further and further out of your comfort zone and have you try and surmount increasingly lopsided starts.

redreader posted:

I just played this game all evening. I love it so far. It's closer to king's bounty than anything else, except you can settle cities. But, the choice of where to settle doesn't seem too varied. You settle where 2-3 resources are stacked together and that's pre-determined.

Unless you play a random map, of course. Plus, in many even campaign maps there's far more resources than you could possibly fill with cities, so you have to decide where you want to put cities and where you want fortresses, and where you'll just take the loot for exploring it and leave it be. In the earlier maps, or near the beginning of some scenarios you'll have some obvious spots that might as well be PLACE CITY HERE, but that's just to help you get started.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Apr 4, 2014

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Corbeau posted:

Yeah, the tech tree really needs some fleshing out. Tech costs in most 4X games don't just increase exponentially - they do it for a long time. It feels pretty awesome to look at a late-game tech early in Civ or Endless Space that would take hundreds of turns to research at your current pace, and then during the endgame you snap it up in half a dozen turns. That's progression, and right now the tech costs simply don't scale appropriately into the late game here. It feels like there isn't any endgame at all.

The randomized nature of the skillbook makes that a hard thing to achieve. If a game has a tech tree then it's easy to fill it with filler crap (research this for +5% shields on all units!) but with our skillbook, we can't have too many things like that. An unlucky player would get an endless parade of +5 hitpoints, and +6% production in cities, while a lucky player would get fireballs and earthquake. So when we add new things, they have to be genuinely useful, which means they need to be relatively powerful, which makes them hard to balance and things.

I think in expansions we wil add new skills to each class (at least I hope we will), but for now we need to deal with the flat nature of the research. I can do end game research in 2-3 turns with a midgame empire, where it should be 10-15 turns for a midgame empire.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Dandywalken posted:

Trebuchets: worth building, or kinda dumb?

Using 1 as a garrison in a city could work I imagine. Walls slowing down a scout or w/e, and you just pop the fucker with a rock for 20 a turn.

I'm not sure it's really worth the hassle, compared to any other strategy, but trebuchets are handy for attacking walled cities (imagine that) because they are long range. They can sit outside the range of enemy archers and knock holes in the walls. You can get around that by using a lot of units that don't care about walls, or avoid it because you're fighting mostly non-archers, in which case the AI just charges out the gates. So yeah: if you have a bunch of walking troops attacking archers behind walls, trebuchets are handy.

I don't know of any time that battering rams would be handy, though. Attacking walls that are defended by goblin untouchables?

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Eschatos posted:

How is which new research topics become available determined? It's kinda annoying when my theocrat has researched all the available tier 1,2, and 3 spells but still hasn't been able to research the tier 1 spell that marks enemies as heretics.

I did this with my first theocrat game until I discovered that it was a strategic spell and not a combat spell, could that be your problem too? If not, players might need to make sure they don't research non-Theocrat Strategic spells until they get it, since it is such a big boon in the early/mid game.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Gerblyn posted:

The randomized nature of the skillbook makes that a hard thing to achieve. If a game has a tech tree then it's easy to fill it with filler crap (research this for +5% shields on all units!) but with our skillbook, we can't have too many things like that. An unlucky player would get an endless parade of +5 hitpoints, and +6% production in cities, while a lucky player would get fireballs and earthquake. So when we add new things, they have to be genuinely useful, which means they need to be relatively powerful, which makes them hard to balance and things.

I think in expansions we wil add new skills to each class (at least I hope we will), but for now we need to deal with the flat nature of the research. I can do end game research in 2-3 turns with a midgame empire, where it should be 10-15 turns for a midgame empire.

Maybe just try increasing knowledge requirements for higher-tier spells significantly. I dunno I'm not a game designer but that would seem to be the best option right?

Ideally I'd just want more stuff to research but that's just greediness as a player and I know it's a pretty involved process adding new stuff like that.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
More stuff is always better, I agree! But we need to get what we have working properly first.

And yeah, current plan is to just mess around with research costs. Maybe add a Civ style game speed slider too, but that's secondary. You shouldn't need to change a slider option to fix a broken economy :)

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Incidentally I gave multiplayer a try last night for the first time with three friends and even though we've barely got started with it, it runs smooth as anything and is lovely to play. The random map facility is great for this kind of thing, especially since two of them are pretty new and it was funny to laugh about their ineptitude in battles (and subsequent comeuppance for us veterans when we had armies almost wipe against independents was also funny).

Big thumbs up on the game so far. If there is going to be an expansion of any sort, at this rate I'll probably get it (especially if it adds a lot more Stuff. Stuff is good).

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Gerblyn posted:

Frankly, I think the randomized skillbook needs a better algorithm. Because yes, it would be a problem, but so is not having scaling progression.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Corbeau posted:

Frankly, I think the randomized skillbook needs a better algorithm. Because yes, it would be a problem, but so is not having scaling progression.

I'm not sure what you're going for here - there are, in fact, end game spells and upgrades - the problem is they're too easy to research as research production skyrockets while research costs don't increase enough to compensate. This is what he's claiming to fix, and this is what you want, isn't it? End game spells only show up after you've scooped up the vast majority of previous spells in that category.

The bigger problem is most of the endgame spells are global spells, which means.. disjunction. :v: The endgame combat spells are truly awesome though. Chaos Rift, Relentless Army, Hellfire, Holy War, Earthquake, Static Electricity, Call Beast Horde, all can pretty much turn a game around for you if you can use them. Though honestly beast horde seems like a way too puny version of Chaos Rift considering it doesn't get all the aoe lightning and spawns weak units.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Apr 4, 2014

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Gerblyn posted:

Though I like the somewhat randomized nature of the research-book, have you guys considered simply allowing the player to flip a page, basically doubling the amount of research options a player could potentially have? You could put allow the player access to the majority of tier 1 spells at the start and set requirements for the higher tiers, say for example research 3 tier 1 spells before tier 2 spells show up.

This way you keep a decent breadth of choice for the player and eliminate issues like a player missing out on critical spells like "Mark Heretics", while some choice costs increases slow down the time it takes to get to the higher tiers.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The most impressive spell I've seen in action so far has been Vengeful Vines. Seeing the camera zoom out and then vines attack every wall on the map is both cool and useful.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Gerblyn posted:

For unlocking levels, I don't know the numbers, but essentially the system gathers all the spells that aren't in the book at tier 1, and says "Do I have at least X spells?" If it doesn't it adds all Tier 2 spells, checks again, adds all Tier 3 spells, etc, until it has gathered X spells. Then it chooses one of the spells at random and adds it to the book. This means the situation you descibe can happen, but should (in theory) be rare...

What I think would be a good solution would be a combination of increasing the research needed for higher tier things but also keep the absolute highest tier stuff only be available if you've researched ALL of the lower tier research of that kind. Doesn't really slow the middle game down since you're still getting a bunch of spells/upgrades. I get that it's less random which is clearly something you guys wanted for the game, but it has quite a few positives, such as not having the last ~1/4 to 1/5th of research just being cleaning up the stuff you didn't feel you needed for this game, which really is a big part of the problem.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Are the summon animal/eldrich animal/gigantic animal spells totally random in what you get or are they influenced by what type of ground you cast them on?

edit: Just like to say how fantastic my Orc Arch Druid random map is going. Started off in adventure mode, very large map, with 7 other players. 2 AI's spawned not far away and we set to knife fightin' on our little corner of the continent. The first city I found was Elven, and shortly after an Orc city, so my early armies were all mixed hunters of both races. Turns out Orc Hunters are quite handy at melee (8 ranged, 9 melee compared to my Elf Hunters which were 10 ranged, 8 melee I think). Adventure is a great game mode.

Rabhadh fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Apr 4, 2014

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I used the cheat to reveal the map of the final mission just to study it before resetting. I'm just staring at it, horrified. The fog at least gave me the delusion that I stood a chance. :negative:

Rabhadh posted:

Are the summon animal/eldrich animal/gigantic animal spells totally random in what you get or are they influenced by what type of ground you cast them on?

edit: Just like to say how fantastic my Orc Arch Druid random map is going. Started off in adventure mode, very large map, with 7 other players. 2 AI's spawned not far away and we set to knife fightin' on our little corner of the continent. The first city I found was Elven, and shortly after an Orc city, so my early armies were all mixed hunters of both races. Turns out Orc Hunters are quite handy at melee (8 ranged, 9 melee compared to my Elf Hunters which were 10 ranged, 8 melee I think). Adventure is a great game mode.

I have yet to actually really do a random map yet - what's the difference between adventure mode and the normal mode?

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I've noticed that forts create domain, and that the domain they create "taps" mines/buildings, seemingly in the same manner as building a town does, but does doing that actually send the resources anywhere, or is it more of a placeholder thing for if you want to make sure those resources aren't snatched by someone else?

Been enjoying playing this multiplayer with another goon, good times overall.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.

Conot posted:

I've noticed that forts create domain, and that the domain they create "taps" mines/buildings, seemingly in the same manner as building a town does, but does doing that actually send the resources anywhere, or is it more of a placeholder thing for if you want to make sure those resources aren't snatched by someone else?

Been enjoying playing this multiplayer with another goon, good times overall.

I'm not sure it sends population, but it definitely does give you yields for the rest of the resources. Forts are really good y'all

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Yeah there's actually a reason to build fortresses now, it's excellent.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Barent posted:

I'm not sure it sends population, but it definitely does give you yields for the rest of the resources. Forts are really good y'all

If a fort can't use something (Happiness, Population) it's ignored. Forts are designed to be a cheap and quick way of locking down resource income without needing a city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Barent posted:

How does it send the yields? Just to the nearest city in a straight line or?

• Locked thread