Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

XyloJW posted:

I used to play with a guy, Tom, who always made "interesting" characters. In some game systems this can be fun because he's really creative and it can be entertaining, but it invariably screwed us whenever we played D&D.

We were running our first game of 4th Edition and we all wanted to try out the classes and the new system. I think there were 4 players, so we had one leader, one defender, one controller, and one striker. Tom chose the striker and rolled up a human rogue. We were all talking through our characters, working out backstories, discussing potential strategies with the new system and our powers, and Tom is suspiciously quiet. We all decide that all our characters have known each other for years and have done a lot of adventuring with each other in the past, just so we can hurry up and try the new system. Tom agrees that his character has been with us for years and gone on many adventures.

We go into this sewer following someone who had stolen a purse or something, and we get our first battle with some kobolds. Tom announces that his character falls back and goes full defensive. He spends the entire fight avoiding the enemy and just parrying attacks.

"Tom, why didn't you help during that fight?"
"My character is a pacifist and always has been. He abhors violence."
"Then why the gently caress has he been in our ultraviolent group? What has he contributed?"
"He can pick locks and detect traps and steal things."
"Tom, the game is tooled so that the rogue is the highest damage dealing class now. We are relying on you to deal damage. The DM also expected 4 combatants when he set up the whole thing."
"My character refuses to fight."

Our whole party dies two encounters later. We all reroll, and we insist he not be a fuckup this time.

His new character is a gnome wizard. He doesn't speak Common. He only speaks Gnomish and Elven and communicates to the rest of us through the one player who chose to play an elf. He also carries around a crossbow, cross-classed into Rogue, and spent all his attribute points on Dexterity, and insists that he's a rogue, and not a wizard and only uses spells when no one is looking. So we have a controller who doesn't have any powers that affect groups and is trying to be a striker and who cannot even understand what we're saying without it being specifically addressed to him by one specific player.

Eventually the DM let us find a magic wooden mask that let whoever was wearing it speak and understand any language. Tom, in the only spell he cast the entire game identified it, and then said "My guy tells Golgoloth to tell the rest of you it's a mask of Gnomish Charisma" and then wore it for the rest of the game. And still insisted he couldn't understand us.

E: misremembered details.

I was in that game, and "Tom" is the only person I've ever met in real life who I legitimately believe has Asperger's.

Also my character totally survived that TPK and in fact was the only one to make it to the end of the campaign :colbert:

ed: were you in the Dark Sun one he played in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Rulebook Heavily posted:

The Amber story needs more revving up, and has to go session by session. And it involves the game spilling over into real life, in a "GM comes to the cash register at my summer job and expects me to be in character" way. I still need to come to terms with half of it myself.

Yeah, I've had this happen to me as well. Except it was a Werewolf: The Apocalypse game. The phrase "I demand you obey the litany and show deference to your Alpha" should never be uttered in public.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

XyloJW posted:

I used to play with a guy, Tom, who always made "interesting" characters. In some game systems this can be fun because he's really creative and it can be entertaining, but it invariably screwed us whenever we played D&D.

"Tom, why didn't you help during that fight?"
"My character is a pacifist and always has been. He abhors violence."
"Then why the gently caress has he been in our ultraviolent group? What has he contributed?"
"He can pick locks and detect traps and steal things."
"Tom, the game is tooled so that the rogue is the highest damage dealing class now. We are relying on you to deal damage. The DM also expected 4 combatants when he set up the whole thing."
"My character refuses to fight."

His new character is a gnome wizard. He doesn't speak Common. He only speaks Gnomish and Elven and communicates to the rest of us through the one player who chose to play an elf. He also carries around a crossbow, cross-classed into Rogue, and spent all his attribute points on Dexterity, and insists that he's a rogue, and not a wizard and only uses spells when no one is looking. So we have a controller who doesn't have any powers that affect groups and is trying to be a striker and who cannot even understand what we're saying without it being specifically addressed to him by one specific player.

You must be using some definition of "creative" I'm not familiar with because Tom just sounds like a garden variety lovely player to me.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, I've had this happen to me as well. Except it was a Werewolf: The Apocalypse game. The phrase "I demand you obey the litany and show deference to your Alpha" should never be uttered in public.

If you don't tell the whole story I swear I'll find a way to make it happen to you again.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Not really much to it. I met him through a mutual friend and we basically had had all of one session. He got super into the whole Silver Fang Alpha thing. And getting into character is fine, I'm all for it. But I was out later with some of my friends and he saw me, and came over to talk, in character. Things got really uncomfortable real quick and I just kind of tried to play it off as a joke but mostly 'dude you're scaring the straights.' He responded with "I demand you obey the litany and show deference to your Alpha!" and my Tuesdays suddenly got extremely busy for the foreseeable future.

I think the dude may have legitimately believed I was a Glass Walker somehow.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Pharmaskittle posted:

I was in that game, and "Tom" is the only person I've ever met in real life who I legitimately believe has Asperger's.

I legitimately have Asperger's and I would never pull poo poo like that. Now, Asperger's comes in a lot of different ways, but Kai Tave may be right in he was just an rear end in a top hat who didn't have a clue how to properly game.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Not really much to it. I met him through a mutual friend and we basically had had all of one session. He got super into the whole Silver Fang Alpha thing. And getting into character is fine, I'm all for it. But I was out later with some of my friends and he saw me, and came over to talk, in character. Things got really uncomfortable real quick and I just kind of tried to play it off as a joke but mostly 'dude you're scaring the straights.' He responded with "I demand you obey the litany and show deference to your Alpha!" and my Tuesdays suddenly got extremely busy for the foreseeable future.

I think the dude may have legitimately believed I was a Glass Walker somehow.

...And this is why I'm a Hunter: The Vigil/Reckoning guy.

Is it ironic that for all the horror stories surrounding the worst WoD players getting too in-character, I have yet to hear one about someone who got too in-character in a Hunter mindset? You'd think that would be THE daydream-believer generator.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

The WAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGH escalates, the Competent Way of Dealing With Recurring Villains(TM)

In what ended up being the penultimate session of our Rogue Trader campaign, our party had one person missing (the Ork Kommando), which is why it was the penultimate session instead of the finale, but the people present were the Missionary with all his shiny relics, the nowadays four-armed Genetor with unhealthy amounts of Tyranid implantations, the Ork Weirdboy and then the dynasty's original Rogue Trader, now a Pirate.
The war entered its second phase (as in, the DM had rethought the battle map after the first version had been a bit clunky) and we had the map of Koronus that was constantly filling up with Orks and various hot spots where there were all sorts of minor plot missions flaring up. The first round had a bunch of different warzones, the Kroot warsphere of Sekh was under siege, an Ork factory planet was building shitloads of weaponry for the Waaaargh and there was a weird psychic phenomena acting up near Grace, the one time home of the cannibalistic governor whose name I can't remember. As we arrived in the system we noticed several Chaos ships orbiting the planet, not really attacking but they were there nonetheless. After some initial scouting we tried to send a psychic message to the current leader of the planet, the Queen of Shadows, but we established contact with a not really all that unexpected figure: Jack Mambo, the Slaanesh sorcerer who likes his disco. He presented us with an invitation to come down to the planet, and he talked a little about his plans; he wanted to turn Grace into an eternal disco, a retirement home for himself essentially. After some arguing about the best way to spring his obvious trap, we decided to just step in it and accept the invitation.

Our shuttle landed on the planet and we found out rather quickly that Grace had something a bit weird going on with its atmosphere, it smelled of drugs, teenager's sweat, sweet and all in all, it smelled like something you would expect out of some kind of opulent party. There were also disco lights everywhere, naturally, and Mambo's influence was pretty open. We were guided towards a private dance club, but before we got in we had to talk to the bouncer. He wanted us to relieve our weapons before we go in, but both the Missionary and the Genetor mentioned that they had weapons they could not take out - the Missionary had weapons attached to his power armour, the Genetor had a Bone Sword that was attached to her... After a while someone came in from the club and told the bouncer to just let us in, that we were VIPs. There was obviously some sort of dance party going on inside, with disco music blaring loudly and garishly over the whole scene. A rather obvious scene of depravity. Again, we were guided through it and into the backroom where the Queen of Shadows was lounging on a divan, with strategically placed blacklights making sure she stayed in shadows. Our piratish Rogue Trader noticed that the parts of her face that were in shadows were also painted black. Dedication to an image. And next to her, quite naturally, was Jack Mambo. We exchanged greetings and we wasted no time in trying to convince the Queen that Mambo was bad news, but it was a bit hard - apparantely, the Queen had been getting bored, and Mambo had brought in some excitement, and the Queen was thinking about taking him in as her court musician. Mambo seemed to have the upper hand, and apparantely, he didn't even have a trap prepared for us! Genetor felt a little insulted, she'd been sure this was a trap they could just get over with quickly, but now she was pretty much harrumphing at everything with about the same impatience as the Missionary, even if the reasons were different. She and Mambo also had a short argument about the Daemonette that has an obsession on the Genetor, and Mambo mentioned that she had shown him all the passionate letters. I told him that she had written every single one of them herself, and Mambo agreed; apparantely the Daemonette had been too shy to send them.

Eventually our Missionary tried to impress the Queen by his talented signing of various Imperial songs, and she was a bit impressed, but did mention that she did want a court musician now that the idea had gotten stuck in her head. The Missionary offered his assistant/protege Esteri, stating that he was really good at singing and so on. But then he really didn't want to give him out, so when the Queen asked him to be delivered, the Missionary lied that Esteri had a cold and couldn't come yet. Queen was annoyed and repeated that she did need a court musician, so the Missionary threw Insanity; he rolled below his insanity points so he voxed our ship and told them to send Esteri down. The young man arrived soon, looking disgusted at everything that was going on, but he was happy to show his talents when the Missionary asked him to sing. Of course, it was an opposed singing contest, Mambo also took the mic! ...but he rolled absolutely horrendously while the kid rolled decently. So what happened was that Esteri sang a generic Imperial hymn, Mambo just laughed to his mic - which pissed off the Queen. And then, she defeated Mambo once and for all by throwing him in jail, and he was never heard from again.
Thus ended Mambo's rivalry with our party, thrown into a competently run jail.

We finalized the negotiations with the Queen, with my character realizing that there was something familiar about the mysterious Queen's voice (she used to be an old PC until she was captured by cannibalistic mutants that made her their Queen), but she didn't quite connect the dots; probably because at the same time the Missionary was using his elite minion, a Lord Commissar that was almost completely mechanical and an utter badass, as a table. It was a bit disrespectful maybe, but the Missionary was writing holy deals with holy paper on his back, and it cured the Comissar's itch so he was almost as happy as he is whenever he is killing enemies of the Imperium. The pirate Trader argued that this was a bit disrespectful to the Comissar, but as the Comissar did seem happy, he dropped the subject. He had also tried to offer some xeno artefacts to the Queen, in a shady way for no reason since our Dynasty is pretty well known for doing that pretty openly, but then the pirate hinted that he was meaning stolen Eldar artefacts. Genetor with her Eldar connections was less than impressed.

After a bit of fuckery we returned to the tactical map which had a new bunch of Ork fleets and plot missions, and we identified one of the plot missions as Kaptin Silvork, our old friend sieging our dynasty's first planet. It was as clear a challenge as it could be, and we headed there with all haste, leaving some of our assets deal with less important plot missions such as the siege of the Kroots. I'm gonna stop now, got stuff to do so can't write it all now, but the next part will at least involve the funeral of an old friend.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Cornwind Evil posted:

I legitimately have Asperger's and I would never pull poo poo like that. Now, Asperger's comes in a lot of different ways, but Kai Tave may be right in he was just an rear end in a top hat who didn't have a clue how to properly game.

I'm not going to try to diagnose him, but he could do that thing where he counts how many toothpicks fell on the floor and do absurd higher math in his head.

He knew how to play and he wasn't a poo poo player, really. He just liked unconventional characters. He was a blast in WoD or Dark Heresy or Savage Worlds or other more story driven games. It only screwed things up in D&D.

Pharmaskittle posted:

ed: were you in the Dark Sun one he played in?

...and Dark Sun.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
SpiritOfLenin, I am loving your updates. Please keep them coming!

Speaking of regularly updated game stories, did divine coffee binge ever get to finish his star wars?

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Nietzschean posted:

SpiritOfLenin, I am loving your updates. Please keep them coming!

Will do.

Farewell to an old friend, heart to heart with two people of different cloths, and the cunnin' Mek

After delegating some less important missions to our allies, our Rogue Trader crew headed towards the planet Jerasol, a planet housing a Sisters of Battle convent under siege by Orks led by none other than Kaptin Silvork, our party's nemesis/loyal friend. The situation both in space and on the planet was rather grim - Silvork was one of the strongest lieutenants of the warboss leading the Waaaargh, and it showed. We were presented with a choice of either going in and protecting the civilian populace or the Battle Sisters, and we knew that if we went and went up to defend the Sisters, populace would suffer, and if we went to attack the Orks sieging the capital of the planet, Sisters would suffer. For once the party agreed almost immediately that we would go fight the Sisters first, although we did send some troops and notable NPCs, such as the Lord Comissar aide of the Missionary to fight against the primary Ork horde. We, on the other hand, went in to the Convent under siege, landing next to Sisters desperately defending their monastery from hordes of Orks. They told us that their Abbess (or whatever the correct term was, can't remember Battle Sister terminology) was on the top of the building, having a duel with the Warboss leading these Orks. We naturally teleported there, right in the middle of the Orks. There were a couple of Killa Kans, basically Grots (goblins in 40k speak) in crude battle suits, a horde of Boyz, the standard Ork troopers, a couple of Nobz and quite naturally, the Kaptin himself. Silvork was having a duel with the leader of the Sisters and was delighted to see our arrival, and basically yelled "come and get me gits". We realized pretty quickly we came to battle pretty much overprepared; I had put armor piercing rounds in my Autocannon. I immediately blew up one of the Killa Kans with massive overkill with just one shot. Similarly, our pirate Trader went in and meleed the two Nobz to death pretty quickly, since he had a couple of special weapons that went through the toughness and armour of the Orks with no problems - the Weirdboy and his mob of Minderz went to town on one of the Killa Kans, but it did manage to take down the Minderz before exploding. The Missionary, naturally, charged right into Silvork and started having a punch off with him, the Sister not really doing anything in the background - except that she kept grappling the Kaptin to take away his reactions whenever her round came up - sure, Silvork just punched his way through the grapple every time, but it meant the Missionary could get free hits in each round.

The fight was over pretty quickly to be honest, the Genetor destroyed the mob of Boyz in a single round thanks to the fact that she Lightning Attacks with four different melee weapons, the Kanz and the Nobz died and only the Kaptin was alive, about to probably die to the Missionary. This is when my Genetor did one of those mistakes she regrets - she charged into the melee and stuck her Bone Sword into Silvork, doing massive damage - and much to her shock, Silvork died. Kaptin had ran out of Fate points. The Genetor stood there in shock, looking at Silvork while the Missionary talked with the Abbess who seemed less than pleased by the fact that our group was a group of monsters and horrible people, plus the Missionary. She was even less pleased when the Genetor wordlessly took the Ork's body and started walking away, intent on giving him a good burial - in other words, blowing the corpse the gently caress up with explosives. The pirate Trader also made the history's worst joke here, stating that "You aren't a genestealer, you are a killstealer" to the Genetor. Nobody was particularily amused, and the Weirdboy probably didn't even understand the joke. The Sisters didn't really approve of the "monster drags away another monsters corpse"-thing, they wanted to burn it, right here and then. While the Genetor was at first insistent on doing it her way, she finally did agree to the burning - but she demanded that she gets to build the pyre, after which the Missionary torches it. The Missionary agreed, but the Sisters didn't end up liking what the Genetor built right in the courtyard of their monastery - it was an honest to god viking funeral pyre, massive pile of Orks on top of which was the pile of Ork guns on top of which Silvork's body lied. It was a solemn and honourable funeral pyre, and it ended up costing us the help of the Sisters. The Missionary could have told them to just come with us, but he didn't want to force the issue, and he promised that he would ask them later to help "purify the rest". Missionary was slowly getting fed up with the party again.
The Weirdboy looted the Kaptin's hat while Silvork's unique golden power hook was put into our trophy room next to a pict of a grinning Silvork, and the Genetor took some genetic samples from Silvork, fully intent on cloning him or something. She had really liked the brash, egoistic Ork - he had also been her drinking buddy for a while during the mid point of the campaign, being one of the rare people who did not give a gently caress about the Genetor's Tyranid implantations, even if back then they weren't as overt. The fact that Silvork had considered her a human when not very many others did had made an impression. The GM did give me the option of burning a fate point to save Silvork, which would have meant that I would have needed to kill the Abbess since she wanted Silvork dead. In the end, I declined, not wanting to cause further rifts within the party - the Missionary was already slowly going nuts, no need to accelerate it.

Apparantely, while we had been doing all this, one of our allies, the glorious REBEL GROT ARMADA stationed above Footfall (because they are literally useless and best kept away from actual fighting), received a message from a mysterious source. The problem was that none of the glorious leaders of the REBEL GROT ARMADA could read. So they had to go and ask from the human militia trainers stationed in Footfall that what the message said, and it was an invitation for the Grots to go and meet a guy in a 'bar' for urgent information. No mention of which bar. The militia trainer just pointed the Grots towards the closest bar and off they went, actually finding a mysterious hooded stranger in the corner suspiciously smelling of everything Orks smell. Also talking like an Ork. But he had got two degrees of success on his disguise test and every single Grot except one failed their tests and so only one of the Grots realized that it was an Ork. Apparantely one of the Warboss's lieutenants was thinking of switching sides, and the Ork was here to tell our Dynasty about it. Now one Grot tried to argue with the Ork, and the Ork did what Orks do to rebellious Grots most of the time - he just punched it to death. There was immediately a squabble between the Grots who could get the extra hat, since more hats=more authority. Also bigger hats add more authority as well. Anyway, the invitation was for us to go meet the Mek at 'Undred 'Undred Teef, the biggest Ork planet in the Expanse - the heart of the Ork Imperium of the Expanse. Luckily (?) the Warboss's capital ship, the infamous Wurldbreaka, had gone missing.
We received their message and decided to answer the invitation, sending allied fleets to deal with other problems popping up all over the system, but there was one little problem: the Missionary's character was somewhat fed up with the party's poo poo and didn't want to come with the rest on the planet. The Genetor was having none of it.

The Missionary's player OOC was ready to do either, but IC he was fairly adamant that he was not going to do any more allying with the Orks than we had already done. So, slightly before it was time to go, the Genetor went and knocked on his door. At first, the Missionary didn't want to open, but after the Genetor's knocks escalated in force, he opened the door. The Missionary told the Genetor he was not going to accept any more deals with Xenos and was not going to approve of what we were doing by accompanying the rest, thinking this was all beneath him. The Genetor asked him why did he think this was any different from the dozens of other times we'd done shady poo poo, noting that usually we were doing way, way shadier stuff. The Missionary tried to argue that he was almost a Saint thanks to all the relics he wore by now, and it wouldn't be proper for him to do shady stuff anymore, but the Genetor called bullshit on him several times. Then the Missionary tried to argue that if he were to be more allowing now, he would be presumed to be allowing at all times - this too was countered by statements that he had already flip-flopped so many times that the Genetor had lost count, it was too late by now. It was also mentioned how the Missionary was not going to lose anymore limbs to anything, since he had lost one to Luna's (the other Explorator the party had had, before she fell to Chaos) machinations, one to Orks, and one to something else I can't remember, trying to argue only he had been betrayed by the Psyker-Explorator, and that everyone else knew. The Genetor pointed out that Luna had actually been hiding every shady thing she did from everyone else as well, and nobody had actually known more than the Missionary either, and that he had not been the only one to fight against her. The Missionary's position was rather flimsy, and it took him some time to realize that he was being a hypocrite, and worse, someone who was disrespecting the whole "we are comrades until the bitter end"-thing our group sort of has going. The GM awarded both of us with some extra XP for good roleplaying and the Missionary did end up going along with everyone else - most of his bitterness was about the fact that he had not been let to finish a 'honourable' duel with Silvork, even if the combat was technically speaking a three-way combat thanks to the Abbess up until the moment the Genetor rushed in with her four weapon arms.

Now, we knew that while the Mek's offer was legit, we would have to put on a show for him to prove him that we are capable of taking down the actual Warboss, so to do that the first thing we did was think about what sort of stuff we could use as bribes. The Genetor remembered she owned a Chimera she had never used so into the pile of gifts it went, we had several million lasguns on board our ship (or billion, not sure how many exactly - a retarded amount anyway) so those went in there too, the Genetor also threw in dozens of boxes of Howler grenades, we had an Ork Kustom Force Field we also threw in... I think that was it on the gifts we planned to give, even if there was a bit of an argument whether we should also give the Mek some of Kaptin's old stuff, either his Hat or his Hook. The Genetor told the Weirdboy that the Hook was staying unless he planned on giving up the hat for the trophy room. The Weirdboy gave up, since he didn't want to lose his new hat. We all agreed we would need to do a flashy entrance, so we went in on style. We flied as dangerously as we could, managing to survive the landing with no problems at all even though every single safety feature on our Assault craft was disabled. The Mek was happy about our entrance, and he also find it hilarious when we started dropping the lasguns - we literally made it rain lasguns, with everyone's trigger taped down so that they'd shoot on full-auto the whole way down. He also found the other gifts extremely pleasing, especially the Kustom Force Field which our Weirdboy threw at the Mek's Grot servants, killing nine Grots. The Grots did end up doing a whole lot of dying and screaming in pain, they also 'tested' the Howler grenades, a bunch of Grots being deafened in the process. Some probably were ran over with the Chimera as well. All this wasn't quite enough yet, so we had to do some more bribing and impressing, and it ended up costing us our Halo Barge as well, and the Weirdboy gave the Mek his 'flashlight' - a long-las he had looted off one of Hadark Fel's henchmen way, way earlier, an item forgotten by apparantely everyone except the GM. The Mek was pleased in the end, and gave us three options: he could give us Ork vehicles, a fleet, or lure the Warboss to 'Undred 'Underd Teef for a final showdown. After a bit of arguing we decided to take the fleet, even if the pirate Trader wanted to get a Battlewagon as well. The Ork would have given us one Battlewagon and a small fleet, so we said no, as "we don't want no skrub fleet just so a skrub can get a kar". The deal was made and we got an additional Heavy fleet at our disposal, and as the Orks were kunning, they told everyone that they were a subdivision of the glorious REBEL GROT ARMADA.

The last set of Ork fleets and plot missions went up, and I'm gonna do the write up on those later, got to do some university stuff now. The final two plot missions were pretty fun, and the GMs notes on the other one were hilarious in their simplicity.

edit: why did I write "fully intent on looting him" instead of "cloning him", argh

SpiritOfLenin fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 4, 2014

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Before I totally miss out on Tom chat, it sounds like he is he closest you will ever get to playing D&D with Alan from The Hangover

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Also if I'm ever at a table when the GM announces he has to take a wank break, resulting in a high-five, everyone in the room is getting the Roy Batty treatment.

You'd kneel, shirtless, in the rain, and not move until everyone else got uncomfortable and left?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

You'd kneel, shirtless, in the rain, and not move until everyone else got uncomfortable and left?

No no, you make them question whether or not they're really human and leave them with existential angst.

Or you know, sticking your thumbs in their eyeballs. It depends how you're feeling.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Squiggoths On a Rampage and the Squigmind

So the last set of plot missions went up, and we were trying to figure out which ones to tackle, and it did seem like we would not be able to take all of them out without using our one-off assets, but we ended up doing a minor split the party moment - the Weirdboy and the pirate Trader went off to one of our colonies that was apparantely under siege by an Ork Weirdboy called 'the Squigmind', that apparantely had a special connection with Squigs, the little red monsters favoured by Orks as pets/amusement/food, while the Missionary and the Genetor went off to rescue Inquisitor Castellan from Zayth, as she was apparantely doing something there that had gone wrong, what with the SOS signal originating from the planet. Now Zayth is a peculiar place, its inhabitants live in these massive land-ships, essentially mobile cities. They are, quite naturally, constantly at war with each other. Of course the arrival of the Orks had probably changed that, especially since the Orks were using Squiggoths, gargantuan squigs the size of Baneblades or even bigger. After a brief chat with the crew of the Inquisitor's ship, we found out two things: 1) they hadn't gotten any messages from the Inquisitor in a while 2) their ship was infested with Squigs and they were useless. Too bad.

So we hopped on our guncutter and told our two ace NPC pilots, an Ork Speed Freek and a Navy Pilot, to harass the Squiggoths we saw. There were four, two smaller ones, the warband's leader's own Squiggoth and then a truly gargantuan one, and of course the emergency signal was coming from that one. Our NPCs did their job and led two of the Squiggoths on a merry chase so that we could mount an assault upon the largest one, although we did send some NPCs to help Zaythian warriors fighting against the main forces of the Orks a bit to the east of the Squiggoths. We started by doing a couple of strafing runs, noticing that there were a shitload of Orks there. Missionary and his Lord Comissar minion decided that they wanted to get stuck in and jumped off our guncutter. Which was traveling at pretty high speeds. The Comissar didn't use a parachute, the Missionary at least used his jetpack. Despite the nigh-invulnerability of the Comissar, both still had to roll Agility/Pilot Personal to see how well they would land, and of course both bungled it, falling uncontrollably in to the middle of the Orks, getting punched a lot by the mob. Of course the Comissar had absolutely horrendous amounts of armour thanks to the Light Power Armour I gave him and his Machine trait, which meant that the mob did only like three points of damage total to him during the whole fight. My Genetor was getting frustrated top, not being able to repair the damage to the ship, not being able to shoot accurately, or be productive in any way, so she just grabbed one of her two minions and leapt off, using her Flip-Belt to guide his landing towards the Squiggoths back, and she did end up making her roll. She wasted no time going to town on the Orks, mutilating way more Orks a turn than either the Comissar or the Missionary could. It gave the two enough of a reprieve that the Missionary looked around a bit and assessed how many Orks there were left, and the answer was 'lots'. He also noticed that none other than Inquisitor Castellan was dangled at the end of a rope in the front of the Squiggoth, being what was used by the Squiggoths handler to control the beast by tempting it with a treat. Castellan seemed less than pleased about her current situation.

Despite there being dozens of Orks there they all died in three turns after the Genetor arrived, as while she does not do the most damage, because she hits very, very often, she is a perfect horde killer. The Orks were slain, with a few scattered survivors jumping off the Squiggoth, and only the master of the beast being alive, and he was climbing towards the top of the howdah on top of the beast, hoping to escape somehow. While the Missionary was talking to Castellan, the Genetor climbed after the Ork, eventually catching it and throwing it as far as she could. Which, to be honest, is pretty loving far. Castellan did look at the Genetor a bit, what with the fact that she was holding on to the pole she'd climbed with two hands while she was shying her eyes from the sun with a third, and the fourth one was just hanging around, but somehow she didn't really talk about it all that much - probably because she was still glad that we'd saved her life. The Missionary talked with her, and despite the fact that she was a bit reluctant, she agreed to come help us with the war effort despite the fact that Ordo Malleus had specifically stated that the Inquisition was not to help us. The Missionary, again, stated that after the Waaaaargh the "real purging" would begin. I don't think Castellan really reacted, and despite the fact that they were speaking in High Gothic, the Genetor realized that the Missionary was acting like a dick most likely. Still, mission successful.

Meanwhile on the other side of Koronus Expanse, our Weirdboy and pirate Trader were investigating what the Squigmind was up to. They landed on the planet, accompanied by ten pirates the Trader had hired, and found a couple of squigs. One of them had eaten an Aquila charm. There really wasn't much else there except squigs and lasguns, but they did find a cave from which suspicious psychic emanations were originating. They walked in, saw the notorious Squigmind who was holding a sack open. Then he yelled "GET IN THE BAG!", looked at the interlopers with his hypnotic eyes and rolled super well. Then everyone got in the bag. There was a short discussion about how if I'd been there the Squigmind would have needed to get some Orks with Grabba-Stikks come push me in to the bag thanks to my "immunity to mind control due to being too insane"-thing. But anyway, the Trader and the Ork were in the bag... and the huge, gargantuan Squigmind looked into the bag and grinned. The Ork and the Trader looked at each other, and realized they'd been turned into Squigs. Communication was somewhat hindered by the fact that they could only communicate by yapping. The pirate-squigs were chasing each other and playing like a bunch of doofuses, and they seemed very happy about their Squighood.

The Weirdsquig, on the other hand, was pissed. He wasn't big, he didn't have his choppa, and there was a good target for biting right in front of him. So he jumped at the Squigmind and bit him in the chest. All of the Weirdboy's attacks have Force quality, meaning he does nutty amounts of damage if he succeeds at opposed willpower-tests. So in other words, a psychic squig jumped at the hostile Weirdboy and used psychic teeth to bite him a lot. The Trader-squig joined in on the action, and together they managed to bite the Squigmind down who started burning with a green flame - and shrinking. After a few moments, a new squig was hopping around. The Weirdboy was not sure what to do, but he jumped back in the bag after getting out of it for the first time and suddenly he was an Ork again. The Pirate Trader did the same thing, and he was a human again as well. The duo went around the planet saving everyone from squighood, even if the Trader's pirates apparantely liked the Squig life so much they jumped back in the bag after turning human again. Also, the Weirdboy now owns a psychic Squig. There is absolutely no way this can backfire horrendously. The session began to wind down, with the usual talking about the session, and of course we planned a bit what we would do in two week's time when the last session would be.

But the most important part was what the GM told us his notes for the Squigmind encounter were:
Turn players into squigs
?????

Best plan. Next session is going to be the final showdown between us and the Warboss, and it's gonna own - also there are probably gonna be chances for some fuckery before and after the final battle, epilogues and plans. Probably every single one of the PCs is going to appear as NPCs in various 40k games around the city, at least in those GMd by one of the players. Although, they still need to survive the finale of course...

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Barudak posted:

No no, you make them question whether or not they're really human and leave them with existential angst.

Or you know, sticking your thumbs in their eyeballs. It depends how you're feeling.

Howl hauntingly and shove your head through a wall.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Barudak posted:

Really all four of the proposed actions are appropriate.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

SpiritOfLenin posted:

But the most important part was what the GM told us his notes for the Squigmind encounter were:
Turn players into squigs
?????

Your group is the best group.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Volmarias posted:

Your group is the best group.

I think if I watched an RPG conflict between DivineCoffeeBinge's group and SpiritOfLenin's I could then die happy.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

XyloJW posted:

E: misremembered details.
Amazing, you played with someone happily roleplaying a hipster. As two separate characters :psyduck:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Brought new players into Monsterhearts. Going to do a mini-campaign, so I'm psyched. I've only done one shots before. It's set in the 90s, era of White Wolf, MTV News and Jagged Little Pill.

We had a Hollow (January, a robotic weapon originally designed for Desert Shield), an Infernal (Jane, a yes-and girl who was on great terms with her Dark benefactor, Jack-The-Lad) and Virgil, a Ghoul who tried to do the right thing, but was desperately starved for power over others. So for those keeping score: Robot, Demonic Power abuser, and Nice Guy who Died but Got Over It.
Instead of going scheme-by-scheme, which takes forever, I'll summarize the BEST schemes. (The game takes place in a Minnesota HS, Jan '96.)

*Jane was snotty in American history class, and when the teacher called her on it, she went to the parking lot. The dark power showed her a picture of the teacher's car and, to sorta impress her former kind-of boyfriend, she keyed the hell out of it. She then found out that the ex was her younger brother's carpool buddy. Which meant an after school invite to the movies would also be a date with her brother.
*Virgil is kinda sorta recruited as a weed dealer, because he wants to but also can’t say no to cool drug boss Charlie.
*In second period, the trio stumbles upon a depressed teacher who killed himself and apparently locked a room from the inside. Virgil wanted to call the police...remembering only after 9-1 that he had a backpack full of weed. Instead, Jane bullies the janitor into taking the fall. The janitor not only hid the body, but repaired the hole in a glass door. (January, not having many pain sensors, decided the best way to open a door was a headbutt).
THIS PLAN WORKS.
Somehow, despite a horrible coverup, nobody finds out about it for the rest of the school day.

Ghoul Virgil got roped into selling drugs by his old friend Charlie. Of course, he didn't do that great a job...so Charlie took his cut, and stole Virgil's backpack to keep it even. January, observing, contradicted Charlie’s claim that it was a "friendly backpack offer".

(It’s worth noting that Virgil and January's attempts at flirting were legendarily awful. Both were tongue tied and when they did speak, they said the exact wrong thing).
Infernal Jane takes a hint from her Dark Power, and sees if she can force Virgil to stand up to a dangerous drug dealer. Jack-The-Lad makes it so.
---
After school, the trio go to drug dealer Charlie's house. Virgil decides to go up the block to call the house from a payphone, to find out who's inside. He does TOO well, and gets caught up on the phone with a classmate way too interested in his bullshit pretext of 'updating her AT&T Plan’.

Jane goes to see what's taking Virgil. Left alone, January gazes into the abyss and gets a 14 [double sixes + two, a perfect roll.]
It turns out that Charlie's lovely two-level is the exact one from a training simulation.
She crosses the side yard without making a sound, clambers onto the back porch, jimmies the lock open and steps up onto the stairs...
When a floorboard creaks.
On the phone, Virgil hears that there's an intruder in the house. He tries to lie to impress Jane, who tells him to fix whatever happened.
The robo-girl hid the linen closet, but Charlie’s dog was getting close. As well as someone who clearly has a gun.
Virgil tried the front door.. and makes nice with Cleo, the girl who answered the phone. He tells her to stay low and search the bottom floor.
Charlie is slowly creeping up the stairs, and Virgil sees his backpack on the first floor landing. He grabs it, and, screaming "BYE CHARLIE", sprints out of the house. He makes it to the front lawn, to Jane's waiting car...
before being shot
in
the back.

Upstairs, January crept past the dog, made it to the back yard, and, hearing Jane drive away...tried to climb the neighbor's fence.
Which she CRASHED through, her metal body weighing much more than the fence could support.
Her efforts to escape the scene created a Bionic-Woman-esque path of destruction across backyard fences, far away, to an empty intersection. Where she was picked up...
By Brianna, who had a crush on her.
It was the most awkward crush ever, because January could not pick up on 'feelings'. And after an impromptu study date, Brianna's mother gave (otherwise broke) January 20 dollars to "have fun...and meet some boys."
Meanwhile, Jane drives Virgil to the hospital. The infernal (who only asked for 1 favor of the dark power in four hours of play) chose to help the ghoul instead of checking in on her brother, who was also there.
Virgil had gotten her brother and her ex-boyfriend beat up so that he could take her on a date. So despite all these twists, schemes, and date plans, the only people going to the movies were...

January and Brianna! Unfortunately, they were met by the lacrosse team (whose leader January had involuntarily, then voluntarily, cheesed off.) Both sides offer to beat the poo poo out of her in the parking lot, but Brianna suggests they rumble in the women's room...until the lacrosse team points out that Bio-Dome was playing. The theater was empty, and despite Brianna being choked out, January held her own against 6 girls armed with wooden clubs.
Until getting banned from the theater. Heavy hearted, she carried her not-really-girlfriend to the car.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 26, 2015

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
The only person I've ever played with that I would say was a total jerk is Phil. My friend was doing a massive New World of Darkness Mortals game set in a zombie apocalypse. There were maybe 10 or 12 players, made up of people from his LARP group, people like me and Pharmaskittle from his regular pen and paper group, and a few people who'd never played an RPG before. One of the LARPers was Phil.
  • During character creation, Phil was making a tough marine-turned-cop. Phil worked in airport security, and desperately wanted to be a cop or in the military, but he had a really, really lazy eye that kept him from passing the physical. Phil overheard another player stating that they were taking the "Sexist" flaw. So he instantly changed his character's gender to be a female tough marine-turned-cop. There were several girls playing female characters already but he really wanted to be the one to play up the intra-party conflict.

• At creation, he asks the ST what kind of guns he could have. The ST explains that in nWoD, you choose an abstract income level, and then you pick equipment that someone at that income level might be expected to have, and that it's not a concrete "you have $1,000 to spend." Phil nods, and begins marking down every single gun and weapon that is at his income level and seriously starts doing the math to figure out how much one year's supply of ammunition for all of them would be. The ST comes over and erases it and tells him he gets one pistol and two clips. The rest of the adults can pick their equipment like normal.

• When his character first meets the character who took the "sexist" flaw, as soon as that character walks up on a crowded public street, Phil asks how close he gets. The player says "I guess about 2 or 3 feet away, why?" Phil declares that his character steps forward and delivers "an elbow to his solar plexus." "What the gently caress, why?" "It's a small town, my character's a cop, and she knows that you're a sexist and hates you."

• Phil spends most of the rest of the game session at the police station working on his 'own thing' that he won't reveal to us, and passing notes to the ST the whole time. [When he explained "I have my own thing I'm working on," Pharmaskittle asked him "Oh, what day of the week are you playing your game on? Cause we do our game on Saturdays."] Eventually we find that he'd been trying to get us arrested because his character disapproves of us breaking the law. The ST gives us a convenient way out of it because gently caress Phil for actively trying to end the game. Phil then fell back on his argument that realistically, people have opposing goals and people don't get along. I pointed out that realistically if people don't like each other, they stop hanging out with each other. This was meta-commentary that he didn't seem to get. Someone then passed him a note, which was just a blank piece of paper that they had spat on. He understood this and went along with us.

• During combat, he notes that another character has the same amount of points in firearms as he does. So he asks how their character is holding their gun. The person says "I dunno, I guess like this?" and pantomimes holding a gun. Phil turns to the ST and says "Okay, my character has the same dice pool as he does and he's holding the gun wrong. Since I'm holding the gun properly, like this, can I get a bonus to my dice pool?" ST obviously says no.

• After combat, he says "My vice is Wrath. It says in the book that when you indulge your vice, you get one willpower point back. I'm going to fire my gun angrily into the air to let off some steam." The ST says "Okay, mark off the ammunition. And you don't get any willpower back, because that's not how it loving works."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

XyloJW posted:

When he explained "I have my own thing I'm working on," Pharmaskittle asked him "Oh, what day of the week are you playing your game on? Cause we do our game on Saturdays."

:master:

With the ST taking away his gun buying privileges, and screwing him out of willpower, it sounds like he was as done with Phil's poo poo as everyone.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
The one time I played that I had sloth as my vice. My character was a relatively useless lump besides being a time/fate/matter mage. I exploited the hell out of it to get willpower, and the only people it hurt was my fellow party members! I ended up with a really low wisdom score, but that's totally okay. Things include:

-Team is getting attacked by a rampaging PC werewolf that my character provoked into going crazed wolfman. They were coming to pick him up from a motel when the werewolf overshot him through the motel room window and they decided to hit it with a car. My guy throws his shoe at it, yells, "Shut up!" and then goes back into the motel room to watch TV while the rest of them had their geo metro being flipped around by a raging wolfman. It is important to note that he didn't hit it with the shoe.

-People are arming themselves to the teeth with free equipment they were being provided for a dangerous mission. Instead my guy sleeps all day, then goes to the movies. When the mission came around it was effectively a swat team sitting in a van and then my guy who just pulled a tire iron out of the trunk to beat some vampires with.

-While moving to attack a public library that was being used as a staging groud for some terrible ritual, my guy blows our cover when he smashes the team SUV that was magically hardened through the front door. There wasn't any good parking for the library and he didn't feel like walking two blocks or using magic to make a parking spot conveniently available.

-When tasked with disposing of the body of a cultist, he rolled him up in a carpet and stood the rolled carpet up in a corner. Then he threw a blanket over it for a job well done.

-While being judged for his various bouts of irresponsibility with his magic by a panel of powerful mages, he is asked if he would like to explain his actions to them. His response is, "Nah, not really." He is put on the wizard terrorist watchlist.

Exculpatrix
Jan 23, 2010

XyloJW posted:

• Phil spends most of the rest of the game session at the police station working on his 'own thing' that he won't reveal to us, and passing notes to the ST the whole time. [When he explained "I have my own thing I'm working on," Pharmaskittle asked him "Oh, what day of the week are you playing your game on? Cause we do our game on Saturdays."] Eventually we find that he'd been trying to get us arrested because his character disapproves of us breaking the law. The ST gives us a convenient way out of it because gently caress Phil for actively trying to end the game. Phil then fell back on his argument that realistically, people have opposing goals and people don't get along. I pointed out that realistically if people don't like each other, they stop hanging out with each other. This was meta-commentary that he didn't seem to get. Someone then passed him a note, which was just a blank piece of paper that they had spat on. He understood this and went along with us.

What is it with players who insist on making characters that go against the basic premise of the game? I had a player like that once -

A game billed as a low combat occult investigation? Makes a former military death robot with no non-combat skills.
A game about swashbuckling rogues with hearts of gold? Makes a morally ambiguous assassin for the main "evil" faction.
That same game about swashbuckling rogues? Makes an ordinary crewman who refuses to get involved in heroics or do anything that might make him stand out.

I can understand if you want to play a game about a particular thing, but when the group as a whole has agreed some themes why make something that goes against those themes? If you don't like the game concept say so before it starts, or find another game.

In general he just didn't seem to get the concept of fiction or fun. After the first session of the 7th Sea game he was in we all received a long message about how unrealistic it was for the party to start with a ship, given the expense of them. He also objected to the way they'd just sailed out of port after getting into a brawl with a rival crew. Shouldn't the harbourmaster have reported them to the appropriate authorities? Didn't they need to hire a tug, or complete their bills of lading?

The rest of the party did not want to play 7th Accountancy, and he ended up being asked to leave due to his lack of understanding of what fun is.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Exculpatrix posted:

The rest of the party did not want to play 7th Accountancy, and he ended up being asked to leave due to his lack of understanding of what fun is.

This reminds me of a few experiences of my own involving a similar guy. This guy, let's call him Fiddlesnarf, was a major buff on classic weaponry and swords. To the point where he refused to play anything but dudes wielding two-handers. He just did not like the idea of being anything but a dude with a blade because I guess he wanted to apply realistic dynamics to a tabletop game. Except when he wanted to be a dragon. Anyway, problem was he was mostly trying to do this in d20 wherein having some degree of magic or other things to bring to the table were a major selling point of a character (and being a dragon is kinda awkward when you mean an actual dragon as opposed to a dragonborn). That said, dude at one point wanted to try running a thing in 3.5 and somehow make it similar in feel to Lordran circa Dark Souls. Now I knew this was gonna be trouble but I gave him the benefit of the doubt. So me and another goon on here and maybe a few others try making characters and stuff, coming up with cool combos that could totally fit the motif, like I wanted to go with a paldin/warlock combo for smacking things around with an energy glaive, and my buddy wanted to make undead minions. Anyway, the problem was Fiddlesnarf then figured out we're using system mastery to make things easier for us and kind of dropped the campaign before it even started. Long story short some people are stuck in their ways. That said they can sometimes still be cool conversation partners.

Edit: Oh, and the dude he did make for an eberron campaign with us was a Psychic Warrior who didn't even join because he couldn't trust us or something? I don't know any more, it's just weird the way people will try to be realistic in an elfgame.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
In high school I had a friend who did this a far amount. We played a lot of the old terrible WoD games and he would do stuff like make a vampire bookworm who only wanted to read books and spent every night reading books with the phone unplugged, or make a lupus Garou character when everyone else was homids and spend the whole time alone in the woods in wolf form, never checking in or allowing himself to be contacted other than by searching him out in the deep woods. Maybe we were being trolled? I don't know.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Exculpatrix posted:

What is it with players who insist on making characters that go against the basic premise of the game?
Some people think fun is a zero-sum game, and so to have fun you must make sure someone else isn't; therefore, to have maximum fun you must make sure no one else does.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Exculpatrix posted:

In general he just didn't seem to get the concept of fiction or fun. After the first session of the 7th Sea game he was in we all received a long message about how unrealistic it was for the party to start with a ship, given the expense of them. He also objected to the way they'd just sailed out of port after getting into a brawl with a rival crew. Shouldn't the harbourmaster have reported them to the appropriate authorities? Didn't they need to hire a tug, or complete their bills of lading?

My god, what an awful game he imagined. "We set sail-" "Uh, yeah, and you capsize because you didn't secure the yardarm first. :rolleyes:"

Commoners posted:

The one time I played that I had sloth as my vice. My character was a relatively useless lump besides being a time/fate/matter mage. I exploited the hell out of it to get willpower, and the only people it hurt was my fellow party members! I ended up with a really low wisdom score, but that's totally okay. Things include:

-People are arming themselves to the teeth with free equipment they were being provided for a dangerous mission. Instead my guy sleeps all day, then goes to the movies. When the mission came around it was effectively a swat team sitting in a van and then my guy who just pulled a tire iron out of the trunk to beat some vampires with.
This sounds completely awesome, and one of the rare times I've heard of someone actually using the Vice system the way it was intended. If you want that Willpower back, your vice should impact the story or make it harder for you or others in some way. You shouldn't just be able to make tiny discrete actions which influence nothing to blatantly recharge freebie points.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Exculpatrix posted:

I don't know, 7th Accountancy seems like it might be kind of fun.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I have to admit, I was one of those not-fun-havers once. In my defense, I was just out of high school at the time, and there was some basic miscommunication going on. When I signed up for a PBEM campaign... Call of Cthulhu, I think? And the first thing that happened to my doctor character was there was a grisly death at the play he went to, he checked and made sure no one else was hurt and that there was nothing that could be done for the victim, then went home. It took me a very long time thereafter to wonder why I hadn't gotten any sort of 'okay, so the next morning' email...

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Unknown Quantity posted:

Edit: Oh, and the dude he did make for an eberron campaign with us was a Psychic Warrior who didn't even join because he couldn't trust us or something? I don't know any more, it's just weird the way people will try to be realistic in an elfgame.

Shithead GM: "It's the Middle Ages!"

Me: "No, it's the loving Forgotten Realms, you fat misogynistic poo poo."

This was a guy who routinely rewrote major female setting NPCs as men, and played the remaining ones as screeching harpies. I can't believe I'd played years with that asswipe. It was such a relief when I finally read him the riot act and quit.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

FredMSloniker posted:

I have to admit, I was one of those not-fun-havers once. In my defense, I was just out of high school at the time, and there was some basic miscommunication going on. When I signed up for a PBEM campaign... Call of Cthulhu, I think? And the first thing that happened to my doctor character was there was a grisly death at the play he went to, he checked and made sure no one else was hurt and that there was nothing that could be done for the victim, then went home. It took me a very long time thereafter to wonder why I hadn't gotten any sort of 'okay, so the next morning' email...

To be fair, if there ever was a "win" condition for CoC, going home and letting everyone else go insane for you is it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I was running a game that was a sort of Fantasy Invades Alternate 1700s Europe thing, and the party made a group with a very heavy Church/Scholarly bent; a Turkish chemist and scholar of the esoteric, an Italian Inquisitor who was more used to examining books for theological error than monster hunting, and a Polish Kabbalah scholar. We then decided to move the game to another night and add two more people, one of whom made an English noblewoman turned monster-hunting crusader, and the other...well. We'd explained the theme of the group and stuff, and he made a Viking. Like, an actual Viking, like a Vesten from 7th Sea.

Thankfully, after a session of realizing the concept didn't work, we just talked it over and he made a French deist scholar and everything went fine from there on, but it just seems to happen. Every now and then, one player just misses the general theme of the group and game.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Dude should have stuck to the Viking. "Oh, none of you can read runes? Let me put my ax down while you guys get ready to transcribe my translation."

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Ah, that's an easy one to work in. The poor fellow was a noble among the last of his kind, a Viking of the old lands whose family had finally been converted to the Cross around 1100. He was then made an unfortunate time traveller by curious artifice, and his arrival/resting place was discovered by the Inquisitor who spared him when it became apparent that he was a) of the pure faith and b) (rather oddly) understood Latin. He then acts as the bodyguard and general muscle for the group, also providing the role of "idiot who can ask all the stupid questions that allow you to do exposition dumps".

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What's funny is his second character ended up being a guy who DID a bunch of exposition dumps. Also, both those alternate interpretations would've been cool.

Still, fun times were had by all anyway.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
I've just recently been part of a game where I played the "misses the general theme of the game" character. Had a great time, but may have been responsible for some catpissery.

The group is playing Pendragon, a game of chivalric-romantic knights and ladies set in a mythical Arthurian Britain. We're only a couple of sessions in and the PCs are starting to get antsy. Pendragon has long, complicated character generation with lots of rolling on random tables, the player's actions are tightly restricted by the chivalric code, and the GM has been concentrating on getting his plot started, so all in all we've not had a whole lot to do. I've been amusing myself as much as possible with my own character, a Pict (pagan barbarian from pre-Scotland) who talks like Sean Connery, thinks horses are for pulling plows, and doesn't understand any form of combat more advanced than cattle rustling or sneaking into the neighbouring clan's village in the middle of the night to cut their throats. He's a fun character, but it's already becoming obvious that he's not quite right for a game of chivalry, romance and knightly deeds.

Regardless, the party rides off to attend their first tournament where, to everyone's surprise, young Arthur pulls a sword from a stone and becomes King of all Britons. Hip hooray all well and good. Meanwhile we've been concentrating on the only other named NPC, Sir Twink of Pilkington (one of the players got to name him, a decision the GM quickly regretted) who we're building a rivalry with over an exchange of insults, challenges and jousts. Sir Twink wins a challenge but loses a joust and some honour, and villainously attempts to poison one of our party! We uncover the poison attempt through some shapechange shenanigans and morally questionable behaviour (is it still wrong to poison someone if you're a snake at the time?) but then we hit a problem.

Sir Twink is a knight, the only way to bring him to justice is to challenge him to trial by combat. He's a lot tougher than we are and will win trial by combat. Technically, poisoning is incredibly non-knightly and should get him punished but no-one else cares and he's going to be able to leave the tournament unmolested. We can't jump him on the road because that would be breaching hospitality and would make us not-knights. Basically the guy tried to poison us and is able to get away with it by hiding behind chivalry. This is the DM's way of saying "Stop obsessing over this guy, he is not important. The plot has not started yet." so we reluctantly acquiesce. We get our marching orders from now-King Arthur and are sent to Salisbury.

Salisbury, as it happens, is on the same direction as Cornwall. Sir Twink went riding off for Cornwall a few hours earlier. It is at this point I decide "Bugger chivalry, Sir Twink is getting his rear end kicked!" and ride off to hunt him down. The rest of the party cheers and joins in! The GM reminds them that this is not-knightly and will be punished. The rest of the party grumbles and finds something else to do. Sean Connery unexpectedly finds himself outside Sir Twink's camp alone and unsupported.

My character is known for three things: being Scottish, having sex with bears, and sneaking into enemy camps to slit their throats. Well I can hardly back down now, can I?

I sneak into Sir Twink's camp. The GM reminds me this is not chivalric. Luckily I roll a critical success and sneak my way into Sir Twink's tent. He is asleep. I draw my blade. The GM reminds me that this is not what knights do, I will lose all my XP. I... well... I'm not too proud of this but, given the situation...

I gently caress Sir Twink of Pilkington.

I gently caress him good and hard.

Then I kill him.

Now the GM is pissed off. Sneakery, theft and murder are one thing. He would have certainly punished me for them, probably had Sean arrested and hanged as an example, but buggering a landed knight under the full moon is just not on! Three squires appear with longbows and shoot me full of goose-feathered DM fiat. He stops play and has us all roll up new characters (which takes a good two hours plus, all the remainder of the session). The next day he tells us he doesn't want to continue the game. Negotiations are ongoing.

I wouldn't say I'm proud of what I did, but I still wouldn't have done it any other way.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
It sounds like none of the players wanted an ultra serious game like that, if the GM had to tell them to stop. Also it sounds like he threw a little bit of a hissy fit by making everyone reroll instead of just you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"Stop obsessing over this guy, he is not important." kind of goes against having players name him, fight him in a tournament and having him attempt murder against them. Probably went overboard with the rape though. :v: