Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Funny how "I'm more of a MSNBC guy..." Opie got them in the news for some crazy remark while "Niggermania" Anthony comes across like the reasonable one in the article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

It's amazing how context works.

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003
It's strange that they picked that clip, because I forgot that even happened after all the free plugs Ant gave Niggermania.com today.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Here's a palate cleanser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEGW2jBzLgI

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

bunky posted:

Remember how fun the show was when Lady Di was interning? Does anybody remember laughter?
I'm usually behind down to the last available day of on demand, so I'm enjoying some of that right now. The total silence from her (punctuated by random babbling about a phone number or something) while Dr. Steve explains how entirely badly her health is and her delusion that it was a stomach bug is both priceless and depressing.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/rolandos99

Aww, the fat sociopath is a sensitive boy and locked his twitter account.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

shyduck posted:

Aww, the fat sociopath is a sensitive boy and locked his twitter account.
RAMOOOOOOOOOOON, get me another cronut

I gotta imagine that closing that off can't be great for getting prospective bookings to talk to him, but I guess his self-esteem is more important.

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.
Anthony: There's no children in this country that don't have enough food to eat!!!! Trickle down works!
DiPaolo: It's the fairest country in the world

quote:

15.9 million children lived in food insecure households in 2012.

20% or more of the child population in 37 states and D.C. lived in food insecure households in 2011, according to the most recent data available.

Welp

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

We're not even the fairest country on the continent.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

CrashCat posted:

I gotta imagine that closing that off can't be great for getting prospective bookings to talk to him, but I guess his self-esteem is more important.

Probably wouldn't affect it. It just means he has to approve the tweets before they are public, because he's soft.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
"The children I gently caress are well fed, therefore no children are hungry in this country."

Birthday Cake
Feb 12, 2008

Tom, this is "Mayor's Fun Money." You can use it anywhere.
I was honestly really enjoying the show since the new year, I felt it improved some since they came back. But this week there's been 3 shows in a row where I've turned it off. Ant is my favorite person on the show but jesus christ, why do the boys think people want to listen to this?

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Sometimes I wonder how much of the O&A audience is the kind of person who will listen to Glenn Beck or Alex Jones rant for 3 hours at a clip.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Sintax posted:

Sometimes I wonder how much of the O&A audience is the kind of person who will listen to Glenn Beck or Alex Jones rant for 3 hours at a clip.

There was a Glenn Beck charity read on the show today. Seemed fitting to hear his voice.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Peter North posted:

It's strange that they picked that clip, because I forgot that even happened after all the free plugs Ant gave Niggermania.com today.

The best part of that, to me, was reliable loudmouth prick Nick DiPaolo quietly saying "I don't like that" while Ant steamrolled ahead, giggling his idiot head off about niggermania to a silent studio.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Birthday Cake posted:

I was honestly really enjoying the show since the new year, I felt it improved some since they came back. But this week there's been 3 shows in a row where I've turned it off. Ant is my favorite person on the show but jesus christ, why do the boys think people want to listen to this?

The phone lines are lit! with unfunny truckers

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

The best part of that, to me, was reliable loudmouth prick Nick DiPaolo quietly saying "I don't like that" while Ant steamrolled ahead, giggling his idiot head off about niggermania to a silent studio.
Then they wonder why nobody comes on the show anymore.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
One of Ant's rants will eventually get mainstream attention and the boys will be fired.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Not it won't, because that would've loving happened years ago. There is no mainstream attention for satellite radio because it's a paid premium service.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Not it won't, because that would've loving happened years ago. There is no mainstream attention for satellite radio because it's a paid premium service.

There's one clip that, out of context, could sink the show if it got legs like Opie's cake stomp video. Like Sirius wouldn't even attempt to stand by them. It'd be fire first, ask questions later.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Homeless Charlie took place on satellite radio and got a bunch of media exposure.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I had never seen cake stomp. Gross.

Also I'm surprised to see any attention on their ACA rant. A major cable network and about 100 other talk shows bash it that bad on a daily basis.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Call Me Charlie posted:

There's one clip that, out of context, could sink the show if it got legs like Opie's cake stomp video. Like Sirius wouldn't even attempt to stand by them. It'd be fire first, ask questions later.

Well? Which one is it?

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I'm not being snide or sarcastic, I want to genuinely thank you guys for discussing this poo poo today, thus warning me to not listen to today's show.

Thank you all so much :)

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell
In addition to all of Ant's horrendous racism today, I also enjoyed their disdain towards paternity leave. Opie, especially, was very vocal in mocking it. Even though he took, you know, paternity leave. The amount of hypocrisy from the show is jaw-dropping.

"We hate tax cheats and scam artists! (except for our families who were tax cheats and scam artists)."
"Everyone in this county is lazy and just wants to take take take! (meanwhile, we're millionaires who bitch about working 20 hours a week, think we should get unlimited sick days and call out whenever we feel like, and throw temper tantrums when celebrities and businesses don't shower us in free stuff)."

It's tiring. When the show is good, I still love it. But they've been hitting the same notes over and over the past couple weeks and I've been tuning to something else a lot of the time.

Ron and Fez has been pretty good this week at least. Hell, as much as I usually don't care for Jackie Martling, I actually really enjoyed him on the show today. I really liked his obsession with trying to make Shelby laugh at stupid jokes. I grew up listening to Howard and I used to love Jackie in the background; but on his own I've tended to find him annoying and overbearing. But on Ron and Fez it just felt really different for some reason. It felt a lot more natural and fun. I wouldn't mind him coming back regularly. Plus, it's been a long time since I last heard a game of Stump the Jokeman.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

UncleMonkey posted:

In addition to all of Ant's horrendous racism today, I also enjoyed their disdain towards paternity leave. Opie, especially, was very vocal in mocking it. Even though he took, you know, paternity leave. The amount of hypocrisy from the show is jaw-dropping.

I caught that bit on the drive and it made me pretty mad but the ACA stuff made me forget it. And the show got worse than that according to this thread.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

drat, where's Bobo when you need him?

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Snacksmaniac posted:

And the show got worse than that according to this thread.
It got really bad. Ant started just gushing about how awesome and hilarious niggermania is, clearly thinking Nick DiPaolo would be impressed (he wasn't). Jimmy started in on his obsession with anonymity, except that this time he was actually kind of right-- that the people that post on that site are internet knights that wouldn't have the balls to say the poo poo they say face to face. And Ant went off on how it's because they're the real victims and they'd get their asses kicked for expressing their opinions. And how unfair it is that people like him can't say whatever they want without having to worry about consequences.

And that's when I bailed on the show in favor of CNN.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

End of Life Guy posted:

Well? Which one is it?

Ant advocating eugenics would be a good one.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

TL posted:

Ant advocating eugenics would be a good one.

Especially since as a guinea catholic yankee, southern racists would lump him in with the all the niggers he hates. They deserve each other (Ant and niggermania.com).

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I bet he was referring to the Slave Girl bit, which is on Youtube. It'd be kinda funny if Patrice posthumously got the boys fired.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

JFC posted:

Especially since as a guinea catholic yankee, southern racists would lump him in with the all the niggers he hates. They deserve each other (Ant and niggermania.com).
I grew up a good chunk of my life in Western Maryland. I had openly racist neighbors and there were neighboring towns that were known "Klan country." (To be fair, some of those rumors may well have been apocryphal, but I always heard reports of occasional cross burnings and I believed it. And I did have neighbors that openly talked about how much they hated niggers, as if it were the most common thing in the world.). My junior high history teacher (a Vietnam vet and one of the best teachers I ever had) told a story once about a student he had in one of his classes who was a vocal racist and who bragged constantly that was going to join the Klan as soon as he could. Eventually the student apparently stood up in class and pronounced his future loyalty to the KKK. The teacher asked him a few questions (I don't remember all the details, it's been 20 years) but the last question concerned whether the student was Catholic, at which the student puffed out his chest and said that yes he was and proud of it. To which the teacher responded, "Well then they'll hang you right alongside the rest of those people you hate." The student reportedly turned beet red and sat down.

Supposedly happened like 10 years before I'd gotten to that class and had him as a teacher. I wish I could have been there to see it. It must have been glorious.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

bunky posted:

Remember how fun the show was when Lady Di was interning? Does anybody remember laughter?

yes, more of that please

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.
After years of wanting one of his catchphrases on a shirt he's finally done it

http://www.opieradio.com/shop

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Amphion posted:

After years of wanting one of his catchphrases on a shirt he's finally done it

http://www.opieradio.com/shop

This is a classic fit shirt available in sizes S-5XL. I have a feeling more 5XL's will be sold than smalls.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
That phrase is the funniest thing Opie's generated in a long time, even though it's simply been unearthed from a 19 year old clip. It's good enough to put on a shirt

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

yes, more of that please

How about more of not yelling "obama" for hours. When I think back of the standout bits from this show, none of them involve politics. Well, except the Donald Rumsfeld Mexican baby eater segment.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Call Me Charlie posted:

The phone lines are lit! with unfunny truckers

This is something all over national radio: Why is it whenever truckers call into a radio show, they feel the need to announce that they're a truck driver?

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
The cabbie stories podcast is some funny poo poo, I'd never heard that bit before. I laughed at every single 'HIV positive'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Truckers have to be like half of Sirius subscribers.

• Locked thread