Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

That one of the GC specials?

Edit: I saw in the other thread that it is, you could just return it you know.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
I like mint green or white on the Sonic Blue JM. Those gold pick guards horrid, but they certainly show a style of their own.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
Someone made this image of different color pickguards with sonic blue, the only difference being on the CVJM the pickups and knobs are cream:

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

booshi posted:

Someone made this image of different color pickguards with sonic blue, the only difference being on the CVJM the pickups and knobs are cream:

that's a pretty handy cheat sheet! That ought to make the choice much easier :v:

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

booshi posted:

I think this just proves that sonic blue is the best color. All of those look at least pretty cool to me.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Ericadia posted:

that's a pretty handy cheat sheet! That ought to make the choice much easier :v:

I actually laughed out loud, bravo!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

booshi posted:

I think I like Grey or Metal Blue the best :shobon:

May keep this in mind for when I eventually have to replace the stock pickguard on my Squier VM JM, as I just got it like 2 months ago and it's already showing some wear.

Although mine is sunburst...

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
I actually thought cream looked best. :colbert:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Smash it Smash hit posted:

I agree with SiSh.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

booshi posted:

I need to stop buying guitars. Though I feel like I'm set now.

A local guy wanted to trade his Classic Vibes Jazzmaster for $100 and one of my SHO clones. I checked it out, and jumped on the deal. Bridge buzzes a bit (it is a JM, I'm replacing it) and the original owner never even took the plastic off of the pickguard, and thought that is just looked weird.

I'm seriously debating a tort pickguard for it

Get a gold anodized guard instead of tort. And then look into these:

http://www.masterybridge.com/offset-bridge.php
http://www.masterybridge.com/offset-vibrato.php

FancyMike posted:

Mint green on sonic blue is good

Are you making GBS threads me? A Lipstick pickup behind the bridge? Is that yours?

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

Handen posted:

Are you making GBS threads me? A Lipstick pickup behind the bridge? Is that yours?

I'm leaning gold, maybe cream or mint (but cream might look odd since the pickups and knobs are cream).

I'm hoping that is something to reduce the bridge buzz, but it does look way too much like a lipstick pickup.

As for my bridge, a Mastery would be nice but is pricey, so I was going to go with: http://www.warmoth.com/Modified-Mustang-Bridge-Chrome-P616C716.aspx which will suit my needs and is much more in budget.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

http://offsetguitars.com/forums/index.php
Go here and click 'Dressing Room' at the top for a decent offset mockup tool.

Handen posted:

That's a whole lot of money to dump into a cheap guitar when Mustang bridges drop right in (Warmoth sells one with adjustable saddles) and US vibrato assemblies are a lot more affordable.

I kind of want one of those to match my bridge, but the vibrato and body are the only Squier parts left on mine anymore.

quote:

No. Yes. Yes.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

Now I'm wasting time doing this instead of putting laundry in.

I haven't seen one, but I feel like a dark brown pickguard with sonic blue would look awesome. Then again those are my school's colors and I was just looking at a sweatshirt.

e: Also anyone know where Warmoth ships from? I want to play my JM more but until my bridge comes so I can get 9's on it and stop the buzzing it's a little annoying to play.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

booshi posted:

Now I'm wasting time doing this instead of putting laundry in.

I haven't seen one, but I feel like a dark brown pickguard with sonic blue would look awesome. Then again those are my school's colors and I was just looking at a sweatshirt.

e: Also anyone know where Warmoth ships from? I want to play my JM more but until my bridge comes so I can get 9's on it and stop the buzzing it's a little annoying to play.

Warmoth is in Tacoma, WA.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

FancyMike posted:

Warmoth is in Tacoma, WA.

drat. Oh well, not everyone can ship things as quickly to me as Guitar Fetish (1 day shipping, if they allowed pickups I would just drive there).

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
WRHB, lipstick behind the bridge, and neck JM pickup. You in a one-guitar SY tribute band?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Hell yes.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Handen posted:

isn't this a thing Nels Cline does? I watched some video somewhere where he talked about picking guitars based upon the sound of the strings on the other side of the bridge....Cool either way, what do you use it for?

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

Yeah hell yes, the interior of that car is awesome!

e: On that JM with the green pickguard and lipstick pickup behind the bridge, are those Tele knobs on it? That looks pretty nice actually, and I don't really like strat knobs.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Remulak posted:

WRHB, lipstick behind the bridge, and neck JM pickup. You in a one-guitar SY tribute band?
Wasn't my intention, but about halfway through the build I realized what I had done. The neck pickup is coming out for a goldfoil soon, also since that picture it's been rewired for stereo output and I'm probably going to install a boost for that lipstick where the rhythm circuit used to be. The neck is a 28 5/8" baritone conversion.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

isn't this a thing Nels Cline does? I watched some video somewhere where he talked about picking guitars based upon the sound of the strings on the other side of the bridge....Cool either way, what do you use it for?
Having it on helps to amplify the sympathetic vibrations in that extra string length back there making it a decent amount more audible than without. The pickup is just on/off, the output is low enough there's no need for a volume control and it's on all the way even when turning down the normal pickups which can sound nice. Also it does a cool thing that's sort of hard for me to explain but when playing normally with enough gain it can start to feedback back there which adds a cool texture.

booshi posted:

Yeah hell yes, the interior of that car is awesome!

e: On that JM with the green pickguard and lipstick pickup behind the bridge, are those Tele knobs on it? That looks pretty nice actually, and I don't really like strat knobs.
That photo is out of date, the knobs didn't fit on new pots so now it's got black Jaguar/MXR style knobs. I'll probably dump some updated pics in here once I get this new pickup in.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Your guitar gave me a boner.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

FancyMike posted:

No. Yes. Yes.

That's a pretty swank idea. When I had my CIJ Jaguar reissue I used to plunk around behind the bridge and lament that it couldn't get picked up a little better through the amp. :thumbsup:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I like both the pickguard and pokerchip on my LP and gently caress you!

Admittedly, it's a black custom with the cream-colored inlays, so the black pickguard and chip work nicely.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

too much urine overtones for my tastes

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Colonial Air Force posted:

I like both the pickguard and pokerchip on my LP and gently caress you!

Admittedly, it's a black custom with the cream-colored inlays, so the black pickguard and chip work nicely.

Pics or we'll laugh at you for having bad opinions. Okay, not really, but I'm interested in seeing how it looks.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
All I have right now is a rather old picture of a rat's nest, and of course the straps is covering the poker chip:

I would get a better one, but I have those really dumb rainbow-colored strings on it because of Rocksmith (which makes the pickguard and chip the least of the problems).

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

Colonial Air Force posted:

All I have right now is a rather old picture of a rat's nest, and of course the straps is covering the poker chip:

I would get a better one, but I have those really dumb rainbow-colored strings on it because of Rocksmith (which makes the pickguard and chip the least of the problems).

I love mine for the way the cream looks with the dark brown finish. I don't care what goons say that pickguard and poker chip are staying.

Patman
Oct 11, 2004

What model Agile is that? I think I'm going to get an AL-3200 and change the pickups.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

Patman posted:

What model Agile is that? I think I'm going to get an AL-3200 and change the pickups.

AL-2000 slim in rootbeer flame. I almost went for an AL-3010SE but those inlays were hideous. I threw GFS crunchy pats in it and I love it.

e: I swear my Galaxy S4 always has blurry photos or I suck at snapping photos of my guitars because they are always just out of focus.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Went looking for a super cheap practice amp for my niece since playing electric guitars acoustically is kind of lack luster.

This old Peavey had zero output thanks to 99% clogged pots. The lady just gave it to me for free since it was acting up and I wasn't in the mood to diagnose a little crap amp.

Sprayed the poo poo out of the pots and got it working almost perfectly. Once and while it still hits a dead spot and just needs the pot turned back and forth a bit and it will go back on its merry way.

Nothing special, but it's all a 10year old girl needs to make twangy noises in my sister's basement. Plus giving loud toys to your siblings kids is ultimate torture.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Sockington posted:

Went looking for a super cheap practice amp for my niece since playing electric guitars acoustically is kind of lack luster.

This old Peavey had zero output thanks to 99% clogged pots. The lady just gave it to me for free since it was acting up and I wasn't in the mood to diagnose a little crap amp.

Sprayed the poo poo out of the pots and got it working almost perfectly. Once and while it still hits a dead spot and just needs the pot turned back and forth a bit and it will go back on its merry way.

Nothing special, but it's all a 10year old girl needs to make twangy noises in my sister's basement. Plus giving loud toys to your siblings kids is ultimate torture.

My practice amp is an almost identical looking peavey bass amp. It only works correctly if you turn it upside down. :psyduck:

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
waiting on gear to arrive in the mail is stupid and terrible

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

waiting on gear to arrive in the mail is stupid and terrible

Yeah but when my buzzer goes off and I can hear in the UPS guy's voice that he just moved a big box that means guitar time!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I got a Randall RG13 preamp. It's very cool. Here is a picture.

If you like the classic Randall high gain sound, and the Warhead-era Randall high gain sound, totally delivers. Shared EQ might be a bummer for some, since it does have a surprisingly nice clean sound with a DI and everything (though the cabinet emulation is non-defeatable, so no IR fuckery for more recording-experienced types, sorry); far as I'm concerned, though, it's just epiphenomenal to the two gain channels with the more classic and more blasting high gain channels.

It would have been cool for them to use a balanced TRS output, for what it's worth, or to make the cab emulation switchable; it sounds good, but more in a "I want a nice high gain tone and can't be arsed, plug this XLR into the board would you please sound person" kinda way. Good analog cab sims are basically straightforward EQ curves to cut off the frequencies a cab can't make and emphasize the ones it can, even at their most sophisticated, realistically they still suck when compared to solid digital cab sim methods like IRs (and we've had IRs for ages now). I mean, not that you should be getting a shitload of hum off its output anyway, or at least any more than you'd expect from a high-gain device. It isn't noisy, plenty of room inside for the layout to minimize that.

It has a nifty little ~2W FET power amp, minimum 8ohm load, and it will drive a cab perfectly well. Which should come as no surprise to anyone who reads the specs of their speakers. Efficiency of 100dB+ at 1W, that's gonna be plenty loud for just dicking around with. Kinda neat as a grab-and-go rig, has an effects loop, a boost... Well thought out features, my only gripe is the aforementioned lack of ability to defeat the cab sim on the XLR output but that's kind of a minor gripe. Other people might gripe about the shared EQ, though where you'd put the potentiometers and circuitry to control it is less straightforward than just going "heeeey this shared EQ thing isn't as cool as on a big rear end amp where you get individual EQs! :mad:"

Do like did buy will keep happy face made.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
A box came in!

Sick it's a guitar case!
url=http://postimg.org/image/r6f8plf7h/][/url]

woah and a guitar! uh oh power shortage can't see it :(

JK :dance:

Got a second hand barely played custom guitar by aj yenser at dickhead design.

Jazzmaster body, swamp ash. Maple fretboard. J SD in neck JB in bridge. Also came with custom wound Gibson 1957-style pick ups.

plays like an angel, really can't believe how much this guitar sounds better than anything I've picked up.

Smash it Smash hit fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 10, 2014

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

A box came in!

Sick it's a guitar case!
url=http://postimg.org/image/r6f8plf7h/][/url]

woah and a guitar! uh oh power shortage can't see it :(

JK :dance:

Got a second hand barely played custom guitar by aj yenser at dickhead design.

Jazzmaster body, swamp ash. Maple fretboard. J SD in neck JB in bridge. Also came with custom wound Gibson 1957-style pick ups.

plays like an angel, really can't believe how much this guitar sounds better than anything I've picked up.

:eyepop: that is a gorgeous guitar!

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Ericadia posted:

:eyepop: that is a gorgeous guitar!

:) can't tell if the images are working right. stupid phone :(

incase they aren't

Smash it Smash hit fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 10, 2014

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Had a little Guitar Center store credit, so I used it to get a cheap distortion pedal:

It's pretty good for $50. Definitely better than a Boss DS-1. It goes from a cranked tweed sound to a JCM800.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

incase they aren't

yep, still gorgeous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

goldangit sish my randall preamp has no aesthetics to speak of and is boring compared to that multicolored dream machine. It will go to the grave unnoticed. thanks a lot :cry:

Still... Wowee nice guitar!