Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

MrBling posted:

Also, I don't know if Wizards have changed their policy in regards to suspected fakes but I still remember this:

http://classic.magictraders.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/025448.html

We were standing right next to the guy trying to sell the mox, since he's an acquaintance from the .dk magic scene and we sure did laugh a lot at it because it was so surreal.

WTF was the story on that in the end? That thread makes it all sound sketchy as hell. Was there confirmation that confiscation was done by an actual WOTC employee and not just some guy trying to scam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Kraus posted:

Actually, Atomic Empire, here in Durham, NC, does have those.
Is that a good store to join? I've seen them post a stream on the weekends and it seems like a chill place. I go to the Asian market next door all the time.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Entropic posted:

WTF was the story on that in the end? That thread makes it all sound sketchy as hell. Was there confirmation that confiscation was done by an actual WOTC employee and not just some guy trying to scam?

They sent it back to him. It was legit.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Entropic posted:

It almost definitely was not a WotC employee. They're under strict orders not to confiscate fakes, since fakes are still private property and WotC has no inherent right to them. Sounds like a tournament official of some sort got overzealous.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Korak posted:

Is that a good store to join? I've seen them post a stream on the weekends and it seems like a chill place. I go to the Asian market next door all the time.

Yeah I'm also local and can vouch for its being really fun. I prefer to play Magic online to paper, but they're great for games and hanging out in general. Very chill and there's even beer on tap.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Just saw something weird happen and trying to figure it out:

I swing in with a 5/5 Gladecover Scout w/ First strike and a 2/2 Fiendslayer Paladin w/First strike (natch)

He has 3 Pack Rats, and they're all 3/3

He chumps the Gladecover and is about to eat the Fiendslayer Paladin (3rd Pack Rat is arrested)

After first strike damage resolves, combat ends, and my Fiendslayer Paladin is alive and well.

What happened? The only thing I can think is that when Gladecover ate one of the Pack Rats, it made his other a 2/2 and Fiendslayer was able to eat it, but I can't process in what order MTGO decided to deal damage or if it happens all at once or what.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

After first strike damage happens, there are three 3/3 rats: one has 5 damage on it, one has 2 damage on it, and one is arrested. The game 'sees' that there's a creature with lethal damage and destroys it, so there are two 2/2 rats. But now there's another creature with lethal damage on it: the 2/2 rat! So it kills the rat. Then the game proceeds to the 'regular strike' step, but there's nothing left to do since the rats are dead. That's how it plays out both in paper and MTGO.

Fizbin
Nov 1, 2004
Zoom!

Loving Life Partner posted:

I swing in with a 5/5 Gladecover Scout w/ First strike and a 2/2 Fiendslayer Paladin w/First strike (natch)

He chumps the Gladecover and is about to eat the Fiendslayer Paladin (3rd Pack Rat is arrested)

After first strike damage resolves, combat ends, and my Fiendslayer Paladin is alive and well.

What happened? The only thing I can think is that when Gladecover ate one of the Pack Rats, it made his other a 2/2 and Fiendslayer was able to eat it, but I can't process in what order MTGO decided to deal damage or if it happens all at once or what.

Not sure I understand the problem here, 1 pack rat dies after first strike combat damage, so the other one gets smaller, so the damage on it from first strike kills it before regular combat damage happens.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The 3/1 Pack Rat dies, it doesn't matter the order damage was dealt to them because by the time normal combat damage resolves the rat that took two damage is dead either way. If the rat blocking the paladin had first strike the paladin would have died and then the rat would have died.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

First strike dmg is dealt in a diff step than regular dmg. So you have a rat with 3 dmg and a rat with 2 dmg. The three dmg rat dies rats become 2/2 then the other rat dies. then you get to normal combat dmg step.

Oddio
Apr 3, 2009

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

vOv posted:

After first strike damage happens, there are three 3/3 rats: one has 5 damage on it, one has 2 damage on it, and one is arrested. The game 'sees' that there's a creature with lethal damage and destroys it, so there are two 2/2 rats. But now there's another creature with lethal damage on it: the 2/2 rat! So it kills the rat. Then the game proceeds to the 'regular strike' step, but there's nothing left to do since the rats are dead. That's how it plays out both in paper and MTGO.

Ahh, this makes sense, thanks :D

I forgot first strike is like it's own little step and anything killed there goes to GY

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

ScarletBrother posted:

I'm not sure about other areas, but I have never seen a shop in my area (Louisiana) have either of those items.

Random, but where in Louisiana?

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Notes From A Magic e-book

Part 8: Chapter Seven

We find adult Daxos. He's in some kind of frustrated rage, wrecking a training ground. Being an oracle of Heliod comes with respect, honour and knowledge but no freedom. Though in fact it's not quite that lack of freedom that frustrates him, because he does worship Heliod and doesn't want to run from him. Not being able to decide between his freedom and his god is what's really pissing him off.

Daxos has asked the sphinx Medomai 'When will it end?'. Being a sphinx, far more concerned with knowledge than with either the gods or feelings, Medomai didn't have much concern for the impact the answer would have on Daxos. He will be murdered at the hands of someone he loves outside an 'untouched city'. This doesn't contribute to Daxos being in a good mood.

One of Daxos' few friends, Stelanos, turns up. He wants to ask Daxos as an oracle whether he should get married. Daxos sees a good life for him, but is frustrated with the idea of predestination and the respect that the gods are all held in despite their failings. He uses a little magic to convince Stelanos that he's doing a genuine consultation with Heliod, then tells him the opposite of what he had already seen: that Stelanos will become a great priest at Meletis and shouldn't marry. Some sort of interesting inferences to be made regarding the perception of oracles (given power by the gods) and the reality on Theros (they have an intrisic power and are used by the gods for it.) Could be used for some good stuff in the future, but probably not.

When Stelanos leaves, Daxos uses his oracle abilities to feel for divine stuff happening. Nylea is on a hunt some distance off, in the Nessian Forest. He doesn't want to disturb her, but she senses him and asks him to come hunt with her. He can't and asks where she's been - it's unusual for her to have left the forest for so long. Apparently, putting down snakes and monsters far off. He warns her that something that used to happen to him as a child - the inability to separate the mortal and divine worlds - is starting to happen again, in specific spots in the Nessian Forest. She transforms to huge size and goes to investigate one, warning of something smashing up the forest's edge.

Heliod turns up to speak to him. He talks about Daxos being unique, able to hear all the gods' voices - but he can't do anything like what Elspeth just did, and turn aside a god's power. Daxos presumes that the mention of Purphoros' sword means Elspeth, though he admits that he never actually saw her leave with it. Heliod talks on about his previous all-seeing vision narrowing and even thinks about sending Elspeth to slaughter all the other gods' oracles. He says helping him is her destiny.

Heliod grants Daxos access to the god's 'causeways' along which Heliod's sight is directed. Presumably this is case where the god needs to work through an oracle to see the smaller picture. Elspeth is under attack by harpies, Erebos' minions. Heliod will deal with the god, whom Daxos still hates for the possession attempt when he was a kid in the Prologue. Daxos will deal with the mortal creatures. If Elspeth is unworthy, Daxos is to kill her and take Godsend himself. Daxos isn't wholly willing to do this, but Heliod's orders have been slammed into him and he can't resist.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Pretty much can only happen in modern but I saw a guy on 1 life with phyrexian unlife on the board a few weeks ago in Modern. He's about to take a big hit that will give him one more turn to win with his combo, but he forgets that the other guy has thalia which does 2 damage on first strike bringing him to -1 so that the rest of the team gets in for the poison damage for a loss.

Sucks but there are corner cases.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I'm sure that I'm the first post to ever ask this question, so I'll get on with it: what is the best way to get started playing M:TG? I'm a 30 yr. old nerd that plays mainly video games. I used to play Warhammer and Warhammer 40k, and I have dabbled in Fantasy Flight Games' Android: Netrunner. I played M:TG extremely briefly in college about 10 years ago where I built a sliver deck (that I still have around here somewhere), and I only know the very basics of gameplay with no knowledge of anything other than, "I turn a card sideways to tap it." I looked at MTGO, and the nearest (decent) gaming store is about 30 minutes away from me depending on traffic. So, goons, what is your advice for someone who wants to learn how to play this game so late in his life that he will get shitstomped by everyone he sees?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

pakman posted:

I'm sure that I'm the first post to ever ask this question, so I'll get on with it: what is the best way to get started playing M:TG? I'm a 30 yr. old nerd that plays mainly video games. I used to play Warhammer and Warhammer 40k, and I have dabbled in Fantasy Flight Games' Android: Netrunner. I played M:TG extremely briefly in college about 10 years ago where I built a sliver deck (that I still have around here somewhere), and I only know the very basics of gameplay with no knowledge of anything other than, "I turn a card sideways to tap it." I looked at MTGO, and the nearest (decent) gaming store is about 30 minutes away from me depending on traffic. So, goons, what is your advice for someone who wants to learn how to play this game so late in his life that he will get shitstomped by everyone he sees?
Pick up the latest Duels of the Planeswalker and start learning the basics. Once you get those down go to FNM(friday night magic at a local brick n mortar store), play on MTGO, or play on cockatrice/forge.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

pakman posted:

Get an intro pack, convince a friend to buy one and then sit back and watch it spiral out of control.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I remember when I first started playing. Bought a random Fourth Edition deck and tried to figure out the rule book. My brother bought a Fifth Edition deck soon after when it was the new thing, and that rulebook was, uh, just as bad. New players have it easy these days.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Mercury Crusader posted:

I remember when I first started playing. Bought a random Fourth Edition deck and tried to figure out the rule book. My brother bought a Fifth Edition deck soon after when it was the new thing, and that rulebook was, uh, just as bad. New players have it easy these days.

Now see, back in the day, learning how to play Magic was a struggle in of itself and was more rewarding that way!

But seriously, thank loving goodness there are supplements like Duel of the Planeswalkers now.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

bhsman posted:

Random, but where in Louisiana?

Baton Rouge!

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Is Little Wars still around? And did they ever start selling singles?

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

clamiam45 posted:

Yeah I'm also local and can vouch for its being really fun. I prefer to play Magic online to paper, but they're great for games and hanging out in general. Very chill and there's even beer on tap.

I live in the Morrisville area and have only ever been to Gamer's Armory over in Cary. Always seemed like a pretty solid place whenever I have been. How does Atomic Empire compare (aside from the obviously awesome having taps in the store)?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Another copy spell question: how to copied spells work with overload, entwine, and fuse? Do I just cast the base spell without the option of paying the bonus effect costs? Fuse spells are actually one spell when fused, right?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Another copy spell question: how to copied spells work with overload, entwine, and fuse? Do I just cast the base spell without the option of paying the bonus effect costs? Fuse spells are actually one spell when fused, right?
Everything in a cast spell that modifies the spell itself is copied. Kicked spells are copied kicked, spliced spells are copied spliced, overloaded spells are copied overloaded, entwined spells are copied entwined, fused spells are copied fused.

However, things that happen when you cast the spell aren't copied. So replicated spells aren't copied replicated and storm spells aren't copied stormed.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Entropic posted:

It was Dieter, the European Event Manager for WOTC/Hasbro, his business card is on page 2 of the thread. Definitely a legit guy.

He got the mox back at GP Malmö with a couple of judge foils thrown in as compensation. I think Dieter explained that it was the first time they had done something like that, so they were still kinda unsure on procedure.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Zemyla posted:

Everything in a cast spell that modifies the spell itself is copied. Kicked spells are copied kicked, spliced spells are copied spliced, overloaded spells are copied overloaded, entwined spells are copied entwined, fused spells are copied fused.

However, things that happen when you cast the spell aren't copied. So replicated spells aren't copied replicated and storm spells aren't copied stormed.

Just so I'm clear, if I play something like a cyclonic rift I would have to cast it overloaded for the copy to be overloaded? I can't cast it normally and copy it and claim overload on the copy, right? Sorry if these seem like dumb questions I just want to make sure I get it right.

iloverice
Feb 19, 2007

future tv ninja

Just so I'm clear, if I play something like a cyclonic rift I would have to cast it overloaded for the copy to be overloaded? I can't cast it normally and copy it and claim overload on the copy, right? Sorry if these seem like dumb questions I just want to make sure I get it right.

This is correct.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
3-0 at FNM with RW burn (as much as I love Dredge, people were starting to play graveyard hate, so I'm going to put it down for a few weeks and hope everyone forgets about it). Man, they're not kidding when they say Satyr Firedancer is the nuts. Taking threats off the board without giving up your ability to burn people out is amazing.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Notes From A Magic e-book

Part 9: Chapter Eight

Elspeth returns to Akros and the city is stirred up, having taken the fuss with Thassa and Purphoros's shower of omens to mean that war is coming. Minotaurs are blamed, though Elspeth sensibly points out that she was just up in the mountains and there weren't any minotaurs massing.

Xiro meets her. He's been forgiven by Iroas in preparation for war, or so one of the priests said. Akros' Foreign Quarter is being emptied, but Xiro managed to sign Elspeth as a guard for the daughter of a former employer, who is being sent to Meletis for safety. In the fine clichés of these stories, the daughter is a firecracker, spirited etc etc. Elspeth had just being thinking that Heliod should probably show her the way to Meletis and is astonished but happy.

The caravan comes under attack by harpies per Daxos' vision. Elspeth is miraculously competent with Godsend despite the totally different way you use a sword and a spear. I would be cool with the author saying there was magic at work but Helland's just like "Elspeth thought it would be hard to use a weapon different from the one she's been carrying around for decades, but really a spear is just like a sword but bigger, so it's better! :downs:"

The daughter, Nikka, hit a couples of harpies with containers of lamp oil and they gently caress off to Erebos before someone starts pulling out fire. Nikka is apparently fluent in harpy and its insults for some reason. She makes mention of someone called 'Beta'.

At the night's camp Elspeth detects some kind of magic use on her, possibly a scrying spell, and puts shields up. Daxos, maybe? She didn't seem to detect his vision of her in battle - though he was using Heliod then. Meanwhile, the others in the caravan are distrustful of Elspeth, muttering about her being a Setessan Amazon - which doesn't help when Nikka fucks off in the middle of the night. Sort of literally as it turns out, since she's gone for some private time :heysexy: in a nearby cave with one of the merchants' sons. I think he's this Beta person.

Cowed by a barely-meant threat from Elspeth, Nikka stays under her watch. Elspeth jokes about being raised by leonin when her lack of knowledge of Theros comes up, and Nikka believes her because Elspeth is bad at jokes. Nikka, a proper Theros citizen, interprets the movements of the star-creatures in Nyx for Elspeth. They talk a bit about rumours of Polukranos, who needed three gods to bind him and whose fifty heads all have to be taken off at one to kill him. He may be headed to Meletis. Elspeth tells Nikka she's never been in love, and then falls asleep praying to Heliod. :smith:
Erebos moves ominously in the sky.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

In addition, if you play an X spell and copy it, the value of X stays the the same.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Elyv posted:

In addition, if you play an X spell and copy it, the value of X stays the the same.

Another one: for spells that divide damage, you can choose new targets for your copy, but you can't change the number of targets or division of damage. If you cast Flames of the Firebrand dealing 2 damage to one creature and 1 damage to another, when you copy it you can choose two new targets to deal 2 and 1 to, but you can't have the copy do 1 damage to 3 different targets.

Nibble fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Apr 4, 2014

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Nice; you go to Little Wars, Rockets, or somewhere else?

EDIT: Is this Andy? :v:

Bosushi! posted:

Is Little Wars still around? And did they ever start selling singles?

Yes and yes, though I haven't been there in forever.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

bhsman posted:

I heard from one of my buddies that the place kind of went down the drain after a while. Good to hear that another place cropped up.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Bosushi! posted:

I heard from one of my buddies that the place kind of went down the drain after a while. Good to hear that another place cropped up.

Rocket's has been around for a few years, I think. Little Wars is more of an RPG/Tabletop place that dabbles in CCGs whereas Rocket's handles everything from MtG to Pokemon and Yugioh, even the MLP card game.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

bhsman posted:

Rocket's has been around for a few years, I think. Little Wars is more of an RPG/Tabletop place that dabbles in CCGs whereas Rocket's handles everything from MtG to Pokemon and Yugioh, even the MLP card game.

Little Wars was the only real game in town when I was living in Baton Rouge from 2001-2004. I only get occasional updates from my friends who still live in the area.

I'm gonna talk some ancient history here, but they lost a lot of their thunder when they were forced to move from College Dr by the opening of the Wal-Mart. It made it much more of a pain to get there from LSU since you now had to cross I-10. Plus they lost the convenience of being within walking distance of a Chinese buffet and a cafe.

Ah, memories. :allears:

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
Sleep of Bronze these recaps are brilliant. Please keep them up.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

bhsman posted:

I go to Little Wars, Rocket's, and Gamer's Paradise in Prairieville. I'm going to LW tomorrow in fact to play Modern. I pretty much go wherever has Modern that week. There are a lot of tournaments coming up, so I'm pretty pumped.

Little Wars does carry singles now and Will (one of the managers I think) is big into Magic and has been pushing it at Little Wars. They used to only sell random boosters, but now they have a respectable singles case and host Modern monthly and Standard every week.

conrack
Oct 4, 2006
Well, thanks to a friend, I've been sucked back into this game. I played years ago, from right after Alpha up until around Tempest. I'd have to dig through my mom's attic to see if I have anything left, but I'm pretty sure I sold all my old stuff a while ago unfortunately. I used to be really competitive and apparently one of my old running crew, Chris Boozer, went on to be a pretty big player. I'm going to have to pop into the shop he opened up over the weekend.

I've only been back into it for about a week so far but have already started sinking money into trying to make something viable in standard. I'm going to FNM tonight and doing sealed draft but want to do standard sooo bad. Is something based on GWr heroic viable? I'm hesitant to start dropping $12+ bucks a pop on planeswalkers and all the other heavy hitters already until I get a bit more familiar with how the game plays these days but drat it...the itch is back and its extra itchy.

I pulled a foil Overgrown Tomb and some other good stuff from random boosters and traded them in on a bunch of smaller/cheaper rares that I've seen mentioned around and someone gave me 4 Hero of Iroas. Nothing is really built yet, but right now I've got something like

3x Fleecemane Lion
3x Loxodon Smiter
2x Amax and Cymede
4x Polis Crusher
4x Ghor-Clan Rampager
4x Sylvan Caryatid
3x Burning-Tree Emissary

I've seen a lot of people throwing more 6+ casts in their decks than I remember too. AHHHHHHH why did I do this to myself

conrack fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

ScarletBrother posted:

I go to Little Wars, Rocket's, and Gamer's Paradise in Prairieville. I'm going to LW tomorrow in fact to play Modern. I pretty much go wherever has Modern that week. There are a lot of tournaments coming up, so I'm pretty pumped.

If you've been to Rocket's within the last few months, we've probably bumped into each other without realizing it. :lol: I didn't know LW did Modern, but that'll give me a spot to check out once I finish up MeliraPod.

• Locked thread