Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

Thanks to all the help in this thread, I managed to get a stable duchy and seize my first county. Everything was looking up until some manner of plague (smallpox I think?) raced through my domain and reduced my dynasty to ashes. I wasn't able to repopulate in time.

This might be the most fun I've ever had playing a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Azuth0667 posted:

Will RoI do anything to my current saves?

The patch that accompanied the release was save-game incompatible, so if your current game is without the indian subcontinent the you won't be able to use RoI.

If you started the game post-patch then the actual DLC should just open up for you playing as indian rulers and such.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

I'm doing the standard Ireland game and successfully installed my dynasty into the Scottish tanistry (and yes, I've already had to regain the throne by marrying a pressed claimant). In fact, all of the McAlpins are almost bred out of the bloodline. I noticed that the first of my dynasty to sit the throne actually changed the name of the kingdom from Scotland to Alba. I knew this happened with religions (Ascalon/Jerusalem), but had no idea it happened with cultures. Is there any way to see all of the possible kingdom names? I can't seem to find Alba in the k_scotland raw or anything.

Edit: I'm playing vanilla

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 3, 2014

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Just had a game where one great Norseman reformed the entirety of the faith, conquered England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland (handing off each kingdom to various nobleman), united all Scandinavia under himself finishing by destroying the Duke of Svijbod, making him a mere count. So far I was doing pretty well.

The former Duke had the Fylkir's daughter killed, and right after challenged the new Fylkir to holmgang. The Fylkir killed him in single combat, cementing his rightful place as ruler of all Scandinavia and head of Odin's mighty church.

His son was a craven, slothful drunkard who inherited two of his three countries. The Fylkir spent a few more years tormenting and humiliating this man, murdering his wife, luring him into plots and consequently imprisoning him and forcing him to pay ruinous ransoms. After a few years my Fylkir decided that it wasn't enough, so the beserker, viking, brilliant commander strong Fylkir challenged him to holmgang.

He lost, killed by a man so drunk he thought he was in a bar fight.

So of course his son about fifteen years into his reign decided to challenge the same guy to holmgang.

He lost, killed by a man so lazy he turned up to the duel six hours late.

Finally came his grandson, who was thankfully sixteen. I figured he wouldn't challenge the man who had killed both his father and grandfather to a duel. For some time he survived, and had two sons.

I was right. Apparently murdering two emperors had really gotten the Count of Svijbod going, making him brave and wroth. He challenged the sixteen-year old boy to a duel. I accepted, figuring that this string of luck really couldn't last.

The grandson however was one of six brothers, and I'd never quite had time to switch away from gavelkind. So Sweden, Norway, and Finland were all inherited by his fractitious, underage brothers.

So when the sixty-two Count of Svijbod murdered him in formal combat, it left three kings in an independence faction united against a fourteen-year old kid. Despite fighting a valiant (and very short) war, the Empire of Scandinavia was all but destroyed. The stories this game can spit out are pretty neat.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

As mentioned before, I made Sicily my main duchy after starting as Duke of Apulia in 1066. Things are peachy and my levies/income are awesome, but something irks me.

I converted most of the duchy to Catholic during the last few years, but my capital Palermo is of Berber culture. How do I fix that ? I obviously don't want to be a Berber since Norman has a Knight retinue that kicks rear end, but since I don't have any Norman neighboring province I don't know if the event "boys from home" that changes your capital's culture will fire (it... is there any other way ?

Also, how do I make the HRE fragment so I can snatch some provinces from them? It's been more than 50 years and no one's rebelling ... I want to form Italy damnit!

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

TorakFade posted:

As mentioned before, I made Sicily my main duchy after starting as Duke of Apulia in 1066. Things are peachy and my levies/income are awesome, but something irks me.

I converted most of the duchy to Catholic during the last few years, but my capital Palermo is of Berber culture. How do I fix that ? I obviously don't want to be a Berber since Norman has a Knight retinue that kicks rear end, but since I don't have any Norman neighboring province I don't know if the event "boys from home" that changes your capital's culture will fire (it... is there any other way ?

Also, how do I make the HRE fragment so I can snatch some provinces from them? It's been more than 50 years and no one's rebelling ... I want to form Italy damnit!

Stab the Emperor one way or another. Have a heir on hand should you fail and he counterstabs.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
drat, I had not realized that the Faction for Elective Succession required the lowest crown authority. Guess I'll have to push that harder if I want to have the (Greek Orthodox) King of the North (Britain, Ireland, Scandinavia) elected Byzantine Emperor.

(Count of Nantes start, trying Greek Orthodox this time for laughs).

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

TorakFade posted:

but since I don't have any Norman neighboring province I don't know if the event "boys from home" that changes your capital's culture will fire (it... is there any other way ?

It will, that's the whole point of it. I have a (modded) game going where Paris is my capital, and that event fired to turn it Roman.

ulmont posted:

drat, I had not realized that the Faction for Elective Succession required the lowest crown authority. Guess I'll have to push that harder if I want to have the (Greek Orthodox) King of the North (Britain, Ireland, Scandinavia) elected Byzantine Emperor.

(Count of Nantes start, trying Greek Orthodox this time for laughs).

I think it is an oversight that Elective factions can only fire at the lowest authority. They should always be available, even at Absolute. If anything, they should be even more likely the higher your authority goes.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Is there any way to increase the size of the UI? It's really tiny at 2560x1600.

Rahzmataz
Apr 29, 2013
So, forgive me if this has been covered, but the thread has grown substantially since I last poked my head in..

I've heard rumours of horrendous bugs surrounding rebellions and religion since RoI got released - Is this true? I'm looking to grab it, but if it's going to cause major issues I may wait.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Seejay posted:

So, forgive me if this has been covered, but the thread has grown substantially since I last poked my head in..

I've heard rumours of horrendous bugs surrounding rebellions and religion since RoI got released - Is this true?
Yes, but mostly only in India, so playing there isn't really possible, unless you like dealing with 10+ revolts at the same time.

Seejay posted:

I'm looking to grab it, but if it's going to cause major issues I may wait.
But this is due to the patch, so whether you get it or not you'll still see all the other bugs if your game is up to date. (Endless tournaments, bugged special troop tactics, inability to arrange any marriages as a ruler under 16 years of age, inability to reform certain religions, missing tool tips for religious authority/income breakdown, etc.)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Seejay posted:

I've heard rumours of horrendous bugs surrounding rebellions and religion since RoI got released - Is this true? I'm looking to grab it, but if it's going to cause major issues I may wait.

It's true if you play any Indian faith (Buddhist, Hindi, Jain). There is also something strange going on with merchant republics and trade post construction ranges, with Venice happily building trade posts in Britain before they even finish the Italian coast.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Jack the Lad posted:

I'm interested in this as well. As it stands, I can either play in 1920x1080 and struggle to read any of the text or 1366x768 and have 60% of the map covered up by UI elements. I'm generally really dumb when it comes to resolution issues, but I play almost every other game at 1920x1080 and have no problem with text or UI size.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Nightblade posted:

Yes, but mostly only in India, so playing there isn't really possible, unless you like dealing with 10+ revolts at the same time.

But this is due to the patch, so whether you get it or not you'll still see all the other bugs if your game is up to date. (Endless tournaments, bugged special troop tactics, inability to arrange any marriages as a ruler under 16 years of age, inability to reform certain religions, missing tool tips for religious authority/income breakdown, etc.)

Inst the game supposed to update automatically at steam? Because Im playing right now (no RoI) and I dont see any of these bugs.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Elias_Maluco posted:

Inst the game supposed to update automatically at steam? Because Im playing right now (no RoI) and I dont see any of these bugs.

Yes, it is. If you can see all of India your game is up to date.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Jack the Lad posted:

CK2 recently got steam workshop support so maybe check in there? I know there are UI mods for europa 4 so it may be worth a shot seeing if any one has released anything.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

fallingdownjoe posted:

Well, I think that that's that game gone: given that the danger level was shown to be 1% (and him never going below 100% relationship with me), I figured nothing major would happen. Instead he's got a stack of 15,000 (at a time when the biggest levies of anyone in the game seem to be around 8,000) parked right on top of my capital, so I can't even get some mercs.

Doesn't really seem fair at this point, so I think I might end up having to take a break from the game.

This actually worked out alright, somehow. After being King for about 18 months, King Megazord somehow drank drain cleaner and died, leaving his brother-heir with all of his lands, retinues, and a whole load of gold. Irritatingly he did somehow change Wales to Gavelkind again, but that won't last too long, hopefully. Now it's time to gently caress up Jorvik, vassalize Wessex, then have a good stab at Scotland. Ireland should then fall into place once the Empire's up and running.

Good old Wales.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
Around 920, managed to go from count to king of Persia with some stabbing. Right after that Armenia in their one province glory dows me. Cute. Oh wait they have 30k event troops and win the war without a single battle before I can even gather half my levies together.

:argh:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I had Ireland locked up for a couple of generations and then joined the Pope's never-ending crusade against the Byzantines to recapture Italy. After a dozen years the war ended and suddenly I was also King of Italy and had about 90+ holdings against my demesene max of 8!

I have no idea how to properly distribute everything. On top of that there's 6 duchies I can create and 3 I can usurp from the Byzantines.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Dick Trauma posted:

I had Ireland locked up for a couple of generations and then joined the Pope's never-ending crusade against the Byzantines to recapture Italy. After a dozen years the war ended and suddenly I was also King of Italy and had about 90+ holdings against my demesene max of 8!

I have no idea how to properly distribute everything. On top of that there's 6 duchies I can create and 3 I can usurp from the Byzantines.

I'm having the same problems as a Europe eating Norse emperor. I keep calling great Holy Wars and end up inheriting entire kingdoms that I then have to give away, it gets expensive once I run out of immediate unlanded male family members since at that point I just start inviting nobles to court.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

occipitallobe posted:

Holmgang as far as the eye can see

Speaking of holmgang, are you able to actually challenge other characters to them yourself, now? Since I think you weren't able to when TOG first came out, and had to rely on random events where another character would challenge you, right? (Although I'm not trusting my memory here - it's proven itself to be useless with CK2-related information lately)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Generation Internet posted:

I'm having the same problems as a Europe eating Norse emperor. I keep calling great Holy Wars and end up inheriting entire kingdoms that I then have to give away, it gets expensive once I run out of immediate unlanded male family members since at that point I just start inviting nobles to court.

Inviting holy men is just as good, and it has a fixed cost of only 5 piety. If you need new courtiers to give land out, this beats inviting nobles to court.

But I rarely have to resort to that. You can give land to every courtier of any of your vassals, so if you are an emperor you should have enough people in your realm to choose one (or several) of them.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

I love you, boy. One pack, always.

Lipstick Apathy

Generation Internet posted:

Well, you can give counties to barons, so any new land you've holy-warred that has a barony, just right-click the barony holding and create a new vassal, then give him the county. Alternatively, you can give a certain amount of land away to priests (10%, I think) so you can give counties (and duchies) to vassal bishoprics.

If I have a 3-4 county duchy that I've just won in holy war I'll often just give two to a baron and two to a bishop. It's probably best to give every barony a separate county though, if you're trying to keep power fragmented amongst vassals.

The problem with giving land to random family/random courtiers is sometimes they might be in the line of succession for some other land holding and then your borders get all messy, plus the succession can actually move the holding out of your realm if your laws aren't high enough.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Torrannor posted:

Inviting holy men is just as good, and it has a fixed cost of only 5 piety. If you need new courtiers to give land out, this beats inviting nobles to court.

This is my preference. If you're holy warring you make the piety back and then truckloads more, and the hokey men aren't going to inconveniently blob.

The alternate approach is to give away whole duchies at a time to relatives to maximize potential related elective candidates.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

If you give a count a duchy somewhere else don't you get that issue where people fight because they want the counties in their duchy, and the count in that duchy wants it for himself? It just seems to spread the misery around.

It's too hard trying to give away 90+ holdings in one shot. I'm not going to go clicking on every single county, city and bishopric trying to find the appropriate person to take each one.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Dick Trauma posted:

If you give a count a duchy somewhere else don't you get that issue where people fight because they want the counties in their duchy, and the count in that duchy wants it for himself? It just seems to spread the misery around.

It's too hard trying to give away 90+ holdings in one shot. I'm not going to go clicking on every single county, city and bishopric trying to find the appropriate person to take each one.

Just make random vassals in all baronies, or just one castle holding in the duchy if you're lazy, from the right click menu:

If one of the counties has an extra castle holding you give the rest of the counties in that duchy to the baron you just created:

Or if you have the money for it you can make the duchy for him and give everything out with one click:

For the duchies without extra castle holdings you go to the character finder, set your filter to male/not ruler/your religion/culture and sort for the stat you want your new landholder to have most of. It's a great way to get a good council. You want them to have high stewardship if you want them to convert the culture of their new land. Give the counties to non-ambitious characters without any landed immediate family, preferably a content one for the most stability:

It's like a minute or two of work at most.

Edit: Added screenshots.

Chickpea Roar fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 4, 2014

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

Speaking of holmgang, are you able to actually challenge other characters to them yourself, now? Since I think you weren't able to when TOG first came out, and had to rely on random events where another character would challenge you, right? (Although I'm not trusting my memory here - it's proven itself to be useless with CK2-related information lately)

I had my character challenge is dick of a brother to Holmgang, but then the event never actually happened so he got to keep on living and being a nuisance. So yes, if your character hates the other character enough, but it might not fire properly anyways.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
:siren:RoI beta patch:siren:

I'm gonna be playing it over the weekend, so if others try it and post feedback I'll try to include it with mine.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Nightblade posted:

Just make random vassal in all baronies from the right click menu, then if one of the counties has an extra castle holding you give the rest of the counties in that duchy to the baron you just created. If you have the money for it you can make the duchy for him and give everything out with one click. For the duchies without extra castle holdings you go to the character finder, set your filter to male/not ruler/your religion/culture, and give the counties to the first non-ambitious character without any landed immediate family. It's like a minute or two of work at most.

You could also give counties/a duchy to a mayor to get that sweet sweet vassal republic money. :getin:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Darkrenown posted:

I'm gonna be playing it over the weekend, so if others try it and post feedback I'll try to include it with mine.

quote:

Now possible to search for trait names and last names in character finder.

Cool stuff!

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Nth Doctor posted:

You could also give counties/a duchy to a mayor to get that sweet sweet vassal republic money. :getin:

Money and boats :yarr:
I like to keep a healthy mix of duchies, republics and archbishoprics, but that's probably not the optimal way to play. It does lead to less super-dukes due to inheritance, though.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Nightblade posted:

Just make random vassal in all baronies from the right click menu, then if one of the counties has an extra castle holding you give the rest of the counties in that duchy to the baron you just created. If you have the money for it you can make the duchy for him and give everything out with one click. For the duchies without extra castle holdings you go to the character finder, set your filter to male/not ruler/your religion/culture, and give the counties to the first non-ambitious character without any landed immediate family. It's like a minute or two of work at most.

I managed to make a save just after I received Italy so it's a good starting point. If I give all the castles to newly created vassals does that clear up the "wrong type" problem since I also own the cities and bishoprics, or do I have to create new vassals for each of those as well? I was thinking that if I clear up castle/cities/bishoprics I can focus on the 30 something counties I have to give away.

I actually don't have to give away duchies right away because I have the option to create six and usurp three so I can hold off until I build a little money back up.

My other concern is that Italy is far enough away that all my vassals will hate me, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I still need to clean up my own two duchies back in Ireland since a couple of counties were given away early on to satisfy ambitious sons and I want to lock them up for myself.

EDIT: I forgot to ask... what's the significance of counties with extra castle holdings? Is it that they should all belong to the same person?

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 4, 2014

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Dick Trauma posted:

I managed to make a save just after I received Italy so it's a good starting point. If I give all the castles to newly created vassals does that clear up the "wrong type" problem since I also own the cities and bishoprics, or do I have to create new vassals for each of those as well? I was thinking that if I clear up castle/cities/bishoprics I can focus on the 30 something counties I have to give away.

I actually don't have to give away duchies right away because I have the option to create six and usurp three so I can hold off until I build a little money back up.

My other concern is that Italy is far enough away that all my vassals will hate me, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I still need to clean up my own two duchies back in Ireland since a couple of counties were given away early on to satisfy ambitious sons and I want to lock them up for myself.

EDIT: I forgot to ask... what's the significance of counties with extra castle holdings? Is it that they should all belong to the same person?

When you use "Create a new vassal" it will create an appropriate one for each holding, ie mayors for towns, bishops for churches, etc. Counties with extra castle holdings just have more castles, so more troops + a little extra money. You should ideally try to have your capital county have as many castles as you can, since you get a bonus to the number of troops you can draw from them. Likewise for your capital duchy to a lesser degree.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Apparently I'm a masochist and suffered through hundreds of peasant revolts to get the 3 empire titles in India. Implementing the Samrat Chakravartin decision requires peace, at one point I almost rage-quit, I was a few days away from a battle that would have killed off my last remaining revolt and I get a god drat Jihad declared on me. Eventually I managed to go for the decision and was extremely disappointed. I expected a trait and/or a single de jure empire covering the whole subcontinent but nope, you get a god drat titular empire title and since you create two extra empires, all the vassal kings in those empires get a nice -20 opinion modifier for your troubles. Please improve that decision, something that troublesome shouldn't punish the player without any actual reward.

Another thing that bugged me was that I couldn't help my wife, who was a queen after I murdered all her male relatives, fight off a host coming for her title. I know you can't call allies into small revolts anymore, but is that supposed to include invasions? There was no button to offer to join her war.

At least I got a bunch of achievements that I didn't actually do for my troubles:

- Saint Thomas's Dream
Rule an Indian Kingdom or Empire as a Christian and convert all its provinces

Got that when I created the Kingdom of Punjab. (I was a Hindu duke at that point and there wasn't a single Christian in India)

- It's Better to be the Emperor
Work your way up from Count to Emperor with a single character

Got that when I formed my first empire in India, many generations into the game (Rajastan Empire).

- Great Indian Sultanate
Rule the Empire of Rajastan and convert all its provinces to Islam

Also got that when i formed the Rajastan Empire, not a single Sunni or Shia province within its de jure borders, but I owned some recently conquered Sunni provinces.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Well the beta patch says it makes the decision "more attractive" to the player, whatever that means.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

You should try to own all of the castles in your provinces, but make barons for other sub-county castles before you give them away. This will slightly reduce the number of troops they get from them making them weaker in a rebellion.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

What I'm saying I do at this point is a 4-step process process:

1) "Invite Holy Man to Court".
2) Grant that guy a county, including all lower titles (this helps him love you more).
3) Create or Usurp the associated duchy, if you don't already have it and if you can.
4a) If possible, grant that duchy to your new count, again including all lower titles.
4b) If not possible, grant each other county to that same guy, again including all lower titles.

The net result is that you have fresh dukes (or multiple county holding counts) holding all the territory of a particular duchy.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Darkrenown posted:

:siren: I just checked this out and it appears to have fixed the revolts plaguing India, among with the other assorted bugs. Ironman also appears to work with the beta patch, and the save times seem much improved, so if you were needing to scratch your India/Ironman CK2 itch, I think you can do that this weekend with the beta!

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Pellisworth posted:

:siren: I just checked this out and it appears to have fixed the revolts plaguing India, among with the other assorted bugs. Ironman also appears to work with the beta patch, and the save times seem much improved, so if you were needing to scratch your India/Ironman CK2 itch, I think you can do that this weekend with the beta!

That was pleasantly quick. Does the beta patch fix EUiv ports as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Dirty_Moses posted:

That was pleasantly quick. Does the beta patch fix EUiv ports as well?

I didn't see anything about it in the patch notes and I haven't tried; my guess is no.

• Locked thread