Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

precision posted:

Yeah, and they're not too long and :words: like other YouTube game dissectors. Good find.

e: Although I do disagree a bit with the "women" segment, for a bunch of reasons. The dates, yeah, OK, objectifying women, but to criticize the game for not having female gangsters is a bit weird since it's just... realistic. And it's weird to praise the game for being "deal with it" about many things but not about the fact that women in Hong Kong (and criminal society in general) are put in an exploitive framework and not taken seriously. I think it is probably even completely intentional and not some kind of mis-step at all.

Please stop using "realism" as a reason for a game where an undercover cop is allowed to murder several hundred people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Fun fact, video games can portray realism in certain aspects while remaining farcical in others! Weird how that works!

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Kibayasu posted:

Please stop using "realism" as a reason for a game where an undercover cop is allowed to murder several hundred people.

You don't understand, he's an undercover cop, he plays by different rules, maaaaan.

(that line was the loving worst in the entire game)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

CJacobs posted:

Fun fact, video games can portray realism in certain aspects while remaining farcical in others! Weird how that works!

Technically verisimilitude, not realism. The entire argument is stupid anyway since "it's realistic, because ______" is inevitably the precursor to a very stupid argument about video games. Doesn't matter if you're right or wrong, because that argument is always, always bad.

e: I want to be clear I'm directing this at every person who's used the word realism, not singling you out.

Sleeping Dogs is an amazing game. Is it perfect in every single way? No. Is it a spectacular breath of fresh air for the genre? Absolutely yes. Can we reconcile these two facts? Easily.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 4, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My point was that the video game does not have to be realistic for it to contain realistic elements. Like yeah this is a game where you kill a million dudes by punching them to death but still. That's something that is completely true so I don't know why it would start an argument.

edit: I dunno I guess it is kinda pointless to argue what constitutes 'realism' because it's a video game and not real life (which counts as verisimilitude, you're right), but I feel like there are lots of games out there that at least balance real-world plot elements with video gamey mechanics.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 4, 2014

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Sleeping Dogs is a hell of a game about a male-lead Chinese crime group. Which is absolutely and totally fine. I think a lot of the time when people are going "It kinda sucks that there's not better female characters in this game", they're aware that it's okay for a game to be about dude stuff, the complaint is a bit more about the fact that so many games are about dude stuff. I mean, folks aren't going "It really sucks you can't be a black guy in this game", because it legitimately wouldn't work, but it still does suck that you can't be a black guy in a lot of games, you know? It's more of a bigger picture complaint.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Crappy Jack posted:

Sleeping Dogs is a hell of a game about a male-lead Chinese crime group. Which is absolutely and totally fine. I think a lot of the time when people are going "It kinda sucks that there's not better female characters in this game", they're aware that it's okay for a game to be about dude stuff, the complaint is a bit more about the fact that so many games are about dude stuff. I mean, folks aren't going "It really sucks you can't be a black guy in this game", because it legitimately wouldn't work, but it still does suck that you can't be a black guy in a lot of games, you know? It's more of a bigger picture complaint.

I agree with big-picture complaints, for sure, but the video we're talking about didn't come off as a big-picture complaint, it seemed like he really expected United Front to have high level female Sun On Yee women you could beat up and/or fight alongside on the street in this specific game, not because "games should be more inclusive across the board".

I'm certainly the last person who wants nothing but Dude Games.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I hope I'm not the only one that always yells "It's FOR YOU!" every time they do the phone booth KO and he beats them with the receiver.

Crappy Jack posted:

Wasn't the original concept for what became Sleeping Dogs supposed to have a female PC, as well?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, I remember it was supposed to be originally about a female assassin, though I only really heard about that from here.

McGuirk
Jan 28, 2010

I'll take you out, buddy!
Yea I have never read that anywhere other than here.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

raditts posted:

I hope I'm not the only one that always yells "It's FOR YOU!" every time they do the phone booth KO and he beats them with the receiver.

Saying stupid one-liners is half the fun in doing execution moves.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Crappy Jack posted:

Let's not forget all those other races that literally never appear in games other than horrid stereotypes. As a South Asian male who has yet to see a single game with a South Asian protagonist (the Prince in PoP is Persian/Turkish, not brown) in any video game ever, while our race makes up fully over a tenth of the world's population, I've basically given up on ever being recognized as anything other than:

-A terrorist
-A cab driver
-A Quickie Mart clerk
-A doctor with an accent (we always have accents)
-An engineer (rarely)

Movies and TV are getting slightly better (Kumar, Tom Haverford, Slumdog Millionaire), but for the most part we are a forgotten race who, unlike Arabs or other people of Middle Eastern descent, there's no white guilt backlash forcing people to try to shoehorn us into things and humanize us. We are also not the only race that has been marginalized like this, but population wise we are the largest, by far. Hell, there are more games where you can play as a Native American than us. (which is 100% white guilt at work)

The point: Video games have always been inherently racist, or at least heavily stereotypical, and it's an ongoing travesty that the vast majority of gamers don't even notice or ever comment on. It's a much worse problem than the sexism but gets virtually no press because in the Western world we like to pat ourselves on the back over how egalitarian and not racist we are. Thank you to some people in this thread for noticing it. :emo:

Edit: Re: PoP, Farah is the closest thing to a major Indian character in any game that I've seen, and in the remake they turned her into the horse so they could have a white brunette princess. :suicide:

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 6, 2014

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

McGuirk posted:

Yea I have never read that anywhere other than here.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-05-activision-denies-lose-the-chick-report-article

Theres also articles where they say "nothing about the game concept changed from Black Lotus to Sleeping dogs" so I dunno.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I think its fair to critique Sleeping Dogs for not having complex female characters - Errant Signal's point was less "WHERE ARE THE WOMEN" and more "Why aren't the women written better?"

But goddamn, I'm a white dude living in Los Angeles and I think its loving awesome to play a game set in Hong Kong. If I spend another second in a virtual New York I'll lose my drat mind.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Yeah, it kinda makes me want to visit Hong Kong someday. As long as I can guarantee that my head won't be randomly caved in by a rampaging Triad member, of course.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

raditts posted:

DID THEY ACCEPT THE CHARGES?

*bonk*

:haw:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Let's not forget all those other races that literally never appear in games other than horrid stereotypes. As a South Asian male who has yet to see a single game with a South Asian protagonist (the Prince in PoP is Persian/Turkish, not brown) in any video game ever

May I suggest Crusader Kings (especially with the new Rajah expansion due to your requirement)?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

monster on a stick posted:

May I suggest Crusader Kings (especially with the new Rajah expansion due to your requirement)?

4X games don't count, for obvious reasons. An Empire is not a protagonist, nor is your ruler. Even in Crusader Kings.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Nah, you can totally have your own character story in Crusader Kings.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Fuzz posted:

4X games don't count, for obvious reasons. An Empire is not a protagonist, nor is your ruler. Even in Crusader Kings.

CK2 isn't a 4X. :haw:

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Everyone should play CK2 for at least a couple hours, as a history lesson in why feudalism is so nutty.

I've also been following the development of Unrest, an RPG set in ancient India. It's looking pretty unorthodox in setting and gameplay; I can't wait to get my hands on it.

wottermelon
Mar 12, 2014

raditts posted:

Yeah, it kinda makes me want to visit Hong Kong someday. As long as I can guarantee that my head won't be randomly caved in by a rampaging Triad member, of course.

Then I recommend avoiding hidden-away karate/kung-fu schools, all hospitals, night clubs with karaoke bars, the docks, tourist spots that are closed for the day, all roads, sidewalks, and highway underpasses.

Do all that and you're golden! :cool:

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Crappy Jack posted:

Honestly, my bigger issue with Sleeping Dogs as the dead sister motivation. I'm not a big fan of the dead-female-non-character-who-only-exists-to-drive-our-protagonist trope.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

Honestly, my bigger issue with Sleeping Dogs as the dead sister motivation. I'm not a big fan of the dead-female-non-character-who-only-exists-to-drive-our-protagonist trope.

Though that's as much of a crime-movie thing as it is a video game thing, to be fair.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Timeless Appeal posted:

What if it was a dead brother?

I thought it was a fine way to establish that Wei had a reason to hold a grudge against these people.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

The issue, as above, is that it's a general problem. In this instance it totally makes sense as a motivation but it still sucks that there are so many dead sister characters that exist solely as a way to spur the protagonist into action.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

precision posted:

"Get Carter" was a good movie.

But yeah, getting revenge for the dead is a time honored tradition in movies - dead wife (Death Wish), dead parents (The Professional), dead athletes (Munich), not to mention all the kidnapped family movies going back to The Searchers and probably before that. You can just say "protagonist is getting revenge because of a murder" and everybody understands when they go overboard.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My daughter loves this game. She makes me start up Nightmare in Northpoint so she can run around punching zombies and swordfighting demons. She's seven, so she can barely move the camera and walk at the same time, but I love how she can actually win fights because this combat system is so easy to learn.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

precision posted:

I thought it was a fine way to establish that Wei had a reason to hold a grudge against these people.
So did Wei's dead brother still suck Dogeye's cock become one of his boys? :shrug:

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Croccers posted:

So did Wei's dead brother still suck Dogeye's cock become one of his boys? :shrug:

"First boy eveh suck my caaaauk."

Ah, Dogeyes. A poet and a gangster.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Croccers posted:

So did Wei's dead brother still suck Dogeye's cock

Yes?

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Croccers posted:

Why not?

The only thing that would make me feel anxious about that is that Dogeyes might come off as the kind of depraved evil pervert that gay men are painted as in old movies. But that's hardly insurmountable.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
His fate was better than Smiley Cat's, though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Republican Vampire posted:

Why not?

The only thing that would make me feel anxious about that is that Dogeyes might come off as the kind of depraved evil pervert that gay men are painted as in old movies. But that's hardly insurmountable.

It would paint him as the kind of "straight" guy who thinks it's funny to humiliate other dudes or joke about it, either way it makes him even more of an rear end in a top hat than the scene as it stands.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

precision posted:

It wouldn't bother me as much, but the fact that it just seemed to be used as shorthand more than anything else turned me off. But yes, it's bothersome because there is a tendency for women--often without much in terms of characterization and here the sister is otherwise a non-entity--dying for the sake of a man's story. And it's kinda irksome.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Timeless Appeal posted:

It wouldn't bother me as much, but the fact that it just seemed to be used as shorthand more than anything else turned me off. But yes, it's bothersome because there is a tendency for women--often without much in terms of characterization and here the sister is otherwise a non-entity--dying for the sake of a man's story. And it's kinda irksome.

Didn't she die from overdosing on Drugs and Wei just put the blame on every gangster he knew?
Seems less a woman dying for a mans story and more a man finding any reason he can to be angry with what he already is angry about.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

WirelessPillow posted:

Didn't she die from overdosing on Drugs and Wei just put the blame on every gangster he knew?
Seems less a woman dying for a mans story and more a man finding any reason he can to be angry with what he already is angry about.

That is possible, and definitely a neat, subversive reading of the story and Wei's character.

Sleeping Dogs, however, is still a story about a man who found a reason to be angry from the death of his sister.

edit: And that reading is also Dogeyes's take on the situation. "I'm soooo sorry your sister blew me became your excuse to descend into a life of violence and vengeance in the flimsy disguise of protecting and serving."

Caufman fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 9, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Wait, what's the problem with this again? That it's a common trope?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Wait, what's the problem with this again? That it's a common trope?

If you're thinking that the problem is "God, writers, try using another motivation for your male characters. The "sister dying" thing is so boring now," it isn't. The problem is the using violence against or death of a woman for plot reasons part, as well as most of the time the woman is just there to be beaten or killed and not act as a character in their own right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh. I can see what you mean but I guess I don't really know why that's a problem? It's not like I support violence against women in video games or whatever (because video games are not real life and getting your morals from that makes you an idiot) but my thinking was more along the lines that it is shown a lot than the fact that it's happening to a woman. "Your X is dead get revenge!" is like Third Person Video Game Trope Alpha.

edit: Wei's sister is treated not as a character but as motivation for Wei and the reason I don't see anything wrong with that is because the game never pretends that she is supposed to be a developed character. She died before the game started and the exposition we get about her comes from Wei because she's not around to give it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 9, 2014

• Locked thread