Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Pay for tickets, don't watch fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Count Roland posted:

If you're looking for cheap seats, DO NOT get seats marked as "partially obstructed view". I got these once, and they were right behind a projector screen. I could see 0% of the actual octagon, it was loving bullshit.

why did you buy them

why did you think it would be ok

Azx
Dec 22, 2004

Count Roland posted:

If you're looking for cheap seats, DO NOT get seats marked as "partially obstructed view". I got these once, and they were right behind a projector screen. I could see 0% of the actual octagon, it was loving bullshit.

But, you'll have a great time. Get there early to catch all the prelims, and be ready to buy tickets the second they go on sale so you can get the seats you want.

Dude that must have sucked!

I am way too late for the pre-sale tickets. Looking at the seating arrangement
https://www.ticketmaster.ae/event/1905
Silver seats are the way to go with my budget, Bronze seats are probably something similar to what you experienced!

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Azx posted:

Hey guys, long time lurker here. Being in the middle east, UFC Fight Night 39 is probably my only chance of watching UFC live! So despite how lovely the main event is, I am hoping to go watch it live. Any tips on how best seats, how to get tickets etc..?

Don't hesitate to join in on the fun of yelling "KNEE" and "ELBOW" during the preliminary section of the card when the arena is practically empty.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

coconono posted:

Rogan and Serra talked about that on Rogan's podcast. Serra pointed out that an open mat would have lots more people running.

Strelka (Russian z-league) has done exactly that on multiple occasions. Here's one of their matches on a soccer field.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7nL0dRqmF8
I think the running away thing wouldn't be too much of an issue. If you go into a dead sprint and start a benny hill scene you should just be dqed. I think most fighters egos would prevent them from doing that and they would most likely lose if they did (whether it be a rule automatically or a rule written in for point deduction). I can only think of about 3 fights where a fighter was "running" or really intentionally avoiding combat.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 4, 2014

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Google Butt posted:

why did you buy them

why did you think it would be ok

I thought it would be some wires, or the corner of a screen or something. I didn't think the UFC would sell such poo poo seats (and I still paid almost a hundred bucks for these). Instead we were watching the backside of a projector screen with everything mirrored.

After complaining to the arena staff I (and a bunch of other people) got moved to an empty section where we could actually see the drat octagon.

I still had fun in the end, but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

On the flipside (and full disclosure, this was a concert and not the octagon) I've been to shows in seats that were technically "obstructed view" but were right under the jumbotron instead of behind it, so I actually had near-floor seats right behind the performer for way cheaper than what it should have been.
So there's ways it can work out but I wouldn't bank on it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Bluedeanie posted:

On the flipside (and full disclosure, this was a concert and not the octagon) I've been to shows in seats that were technically "obstructed view" but were right under the jumbotron instead of behind it, so I actually had near-floor seats right behind the performer for way cheaper than what it should have been.
So there's ways it can work out but I wouldn't bank on it.

One time I worked security for a Pearl Jam benefit concert at Key Arena in Seattle. I'm a 125 lb weakling so my job was to make sure no one sat in one of these sections. Pretty much got paid to watch a Pearl Jam concert with the only caveat being I had to stand the whole time. Then I got home and my girlfriend at the time surprised me with tickets to the 2nd night of these shows. I don't even like Pearl Jam that much.

For my derail sins here's jon jones being asked to JUST BLEED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3XhvSvLLoA

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Is Amir Sadollah retired?

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009
Did Mike Swick retire? He's been out almost as long as Sadollah has, but atleast Sadollah was scheduled to fight last year, Swick hasn't had anything since Matt Brown punched him into the next dimension.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Mike Swick has not announced his retirement, and in fact 2 weeks ago he went on the UG and said he's building a new gym in Thailand and working on his health.

As for Amir Sadollah I wasn't aware people were concerned about Amir Sadollah.

Both guys are probably looking at their last fight or two though.

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.
Does anyone know what's happening with Geronimo Dos Santos?

Last I heard he was cured of Hep B and he's still on the UFC site, but I haven't heard any fights announced.

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA

Bubba Smith posted:

As for Amir Sadollah I wasn't aware people were concerned about Amir Sadollah.
You're not too committed to walking this Dollahway are you?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Amir was the loving man. It's a shame his Muay Thai is the only fighting thing he excels at.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
He knows an armbar or two

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

raingwc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FWPx9L6_jI

The GSP Documentary full version. So far it is quite good.

Also alot of Danaher in it, I love hearing that guy talk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FWPx9L6_jI&feature=youtu.be&t=42m31s

GSP wakes up from surgery, immediately talks trash about Diaz, then makes frowny faces.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Count Roland posted:

Depends on how you structure it. You'd want to make the surface area be not much bigger than the octagon is now, I would think. Like in most wrestling arts, you need an "out of bounds" rule. This necessitates extra ref involvement which usually isn't good, but it'd be interesting. For extra fun you could give points to a guy who can push his opponent out of bounds. See sumo wrestlers flock to the sport.
Maybe you could put a sloped ramp area around the edge, like some sort of fighting pit... :v:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Captain Log posted:

Amir was the loving man. It's a shame his Muay Thai is the only fighting thing he excels at.

Naw he was p good at being a Johny Hendricks highlight reel also

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Captain Log posted:

amir was really cool. hes one of the last guys who got in too late

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

http://www.mmaweekly.com/video-gina-carano-to-meet-with-dana-white-next-week-about-possible-return-to-fighting

1)Apparently Arsenio Hall is still alive and has a show
2)Apparently Gina Carano is meeting Dana next week
3)Apparently she's still a women's supperweight (still bangable imo)

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

is the Filho a reference to his idol in poor tattoo choices?

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

I would love to be dominated by Gina. She looks like she would teach me a lesson. I'd love for her to beat me up, then make me worship her feet. So hot.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Alright, let's head this off at the pass.

I think Gina Carano is an attractive lady. Many others feel the same.

We don't need to fall into the never ending rabbit hole of meta-posting obscurely about her to express our collective disdain that people can be found attractive.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Lid posted:

is the Filho a reference to his idol in poor tattoo choices?

It means Son.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Meat Recital posted:

It means Son.

drat, I was hoping it was the Brazilian spelling for a fine, thin, flaky pastry.

Bell the Cat
Apr 5, 2004

Dirty pool old man. I like it.

Captain Log posted:

drat, I was hoping it was the Brazilian spelling for a fine, thin, flaky pastry.

Paulo Filho is a fat, flaky pastry.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

raingwc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FWPx9L6_jI

The GSP Documentary full version. So far it is quite good.

Also alot of Danaher in it, I love hearing that guy talk.

gently caress I was saving this to watch this weekend and didn't realise it would be taken down

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A fan of both Earthbound for the SNES and giving terrible tattooists an income. Sounds like the perfect way to become an MMA fighter to me.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
paulo filho is an appropriate weight

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.

:D

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
"You got Hapa'd" is what you're supposed to say when Travis Browne blasts you in the head with elbows while you try and take him down against the fence.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/4/5/5584728/travis-browne-ufc-interview-video-hapa-elbow-werdum-new-mexico-holly-holm

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I would like to thank BloodyElbow for not having volume control on their video. I am a big fan of what sounds like a 10,000 watt lightbulb running non-stop.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
reddit sucks but Matt Brown did an AMA

http://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/22b0ve/i_am_the_immortal_matt_brown_ama/

a smarter person will link an abbreviated summary

Another year
Oct 13, 2011

the mermaid
see
a movie?

origami posted:

reddit sucks but Matt Brown did an AMA

http://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/22b0ve/i_am_the_immortal_matt_brown_ama/

a smarter person will link an abbreviated summary

Someone made a script called skimreddit that you can plug a/t links into so you don't have to read as much nonsense, by instead only seeing the dumb stuff that the author decides to reply to instead of all of it; it's great

Here's Matt's thread in said format

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
reddit: You are picked to fight Semmy Schilt. What is your strategy?
MB: Buy a really really good mouthpiece

you can't spell brown without own

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Another year posted:

Someone made a script called skimreddit that you can plug a/t links into so you don't have to read as much nonsense, by instead only seeing the dumb stuff that the author decides to reply to instead of all of it; it's great

Here's Matt's thread in said format

Motherfucker just really, really loves to fight.

Another year
Oct 13, 2011

the mermaid
see
a movie?
How close is Matt Brown to title contention, actually? Wouldn't he be due for an eliminator if he beat Silva first?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Not really, Silva hasn't beat anyone so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Matt Brown is definitely close to contention, he is on a 7 fight win streak with six finishes, last two were violent KOs over Mike Pyle and Jordan Mein, and he was going to fight Carlos Condit before he was injured. If he beats Erick Silva he is absolutely due a #1 contender fight.

• Locked thread