Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

If you were a space android whose entire body was guns and had spent most of your existence stuck in your space office you probably wouldn't be good at conversation either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
PS4 Wren didn't transform into a submarine out of nowhere, though.

On the other hand, Demi :3:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

On the topic of P4, I was rewatching DO IT TO IT's RE1-CVX LP and at one part he was talking about how to get the "True Ending" in a game that I'm pretty sure was either Persona 3 or 4. James only got the Good Ending because he didn't go back and talk to his buddies and select the right thing or something.

So it sounds like a game you need to follow a guide for, if you ever do play it Schwartzcough. Otherwise you'll screw yourself out of stuff.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

On the topic of P4, I was rewatching DO IT TO IT's RE1-CVX LP and at one part he was talking about how to get the "True Ending" in a game that I'm pretty sure was either Persona 3 or 4. James only got the Good Ending because he didn't go back and talk to his buddies and select the right thing or something.

So it sounds like a game you need to follow a guide for, if you ever do play it Schwartzcough. Otherwise you'll screw yourself out of stuff.

That's P4, and IIRC, the choices to not get the bad ending are kinda intuitive though it's possible to screw them up, and you will probably need a guide for the true ending, though it's not like you can miss anything; all the true ending choices are at the end of the game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

P3/P4's combat isn't super-deep, but random battles are pretty snappy and boss battles are fun and have room for a decent amount of strategy. I'm not sure what else you really want from a JRPG's combat system.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

P3 and P4 seem kinda like the Final Fantasy VII of the SMT series. They got the series bigger popularity, at least here in the West, but the "old guard" resents them for it.

It's why I want to play Persona 2. Just need to wait to get a PSP.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Apr 4, 2014

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Schwartzcough posted:

Oh, I know what they were trying to do with Squall- I just feel that it was handled terribly. Just saying "all those times he acted exactly contrary to his 180 turnabout was because he was intentionally hiding his true feelings!" is still bad storytelling. If all we see the whole game is him rolling his eyes and grinding his teeth whenever he had to be around Rinoa, him completely changing on a dime to a completely love-struck obsessive about her does not feel natural. In that case, they could've made him suddenly be in love with Zell or Seifer and it would've made the same amount of sense.

Well, I get the feeling he got a little butthurt from the Graduation party where Rinoa pulled him onto the dance floor and got him all hot and bothered, then ran off to do something else. Worse still, when he finds out that it was to find Seifer! So yeah, I can understand why he held back about Rinoa or was aloof and distant when she was around. He didn't want to let himself fall for her, which he did anyway and then when she went comatose, it was at a point where Seifer had made his choice, Rinoa was coming to terms with that, and Squall was suddenly and irrevocably unable to do anything about it.

I mean, I might have history goggles on, but while she's comatose, they go to Esthar, then to space where she releases Adel, then they beat Adel and Squall immediately jumps at a chance to save Rinoa from being sealed in space, and then they go on the run with Ragnarok to Edea's house, where we have that scene where they say they'll meet in the field of flowers that is very well hidden from the world map in Rinoa's dreams.

Convoluted, yes, but it seems to me that remembering Squalls perceived (not intentional) betrayal by Rinoa at the graduation party explains some of his attitude towards her, and her falling comatose is a catalyst for him to really dive headfirst into the relationship even though it's super awkward (read: the dialog from the field of flowers).

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I think I'm going to go crazy doing it, but I'm going to try to cover the entire board for the trophy in FFX. I'm almost there with my super-boss fighting three and I have a good grind going to replenish sphere levels and spheres. I figure if I do it a bit a day, I can be done in a week or so. I'm not sure why I'm doing it other that it looks like I can. I'm almost ready for Penance as well. I haven't fought any of the Dark Aeons yet, but once I feel ready for the big guy, I'll start knocking them off.

I'm really enjoying FFX again!

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

I've just got to finish the Earth Eater / Greater Sphere grind to fully 255 my characters, it's a slog though

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Duncan Sperguson posted:

I've just got to finish the Earth Eater / Greater Sphere grind to fully 255 my characters, it's a slog though

Once you get over that hill and can do it reliably it goes pretty fast. I do it while listening to music or watching TV for the most part. I still haven't beaten the game so that final battle will be hilariously short.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Holy christ dodging lightning in FFX is way loving harder than I remember it. I never got to 200 before but made it to like 150 before flinching and loving up. :v: Haven't tried since then but now I can only dodge at most 2 in a row. I've tried the thread suggestions like muting the tv but it doesn't help. I guess my reflexes are much slower than they were in 2002.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
There's a spot you can guarantee a lightning bolt every time you approach it, makes dodging super easy because you know to anticipate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNjKL7aZY4E

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Times like these I'm glad I don't have enough free-time to care about 100 percenting a video game. gently caress all that lightning bullshit.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

NikkolasKing posted:

P3 and P4 seem kinda like the Final Fantasy VII of the SMT series. They got the series bigger popularity, at least here in the West, but the "old guard" resents them for it.

It's why I want to play Persona 2. Just need to wait to get a PSP.

Persona 2 is super rad, but the gameplay is very 90s and it's really easy. Most battles come down to "pick the right fusion spell, win". If you don't like the story or characters you'll probably hate it.

I, personally, love the hell out of it, but you have to know what you're getting into.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

MarsDragon posted:

Persona 2 is super rad, but the gameplay is very 90s and it's really easy. Most battles come down to "pick the right fusion spell, win". If you don't like the story or characters you'll probably hate it.

I, personally, love the hell out of it, but you have to know what you're getting into.

True, but it has Baofu who no human being can dislike.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
I always feel bad for Ulala. :( She just wants to get laid so badly, but she's stuck in Japan where single older women get no luck whatsoever.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I found P4's bosses to be much worse than P3's. Many of P3's bosses had some tricks, weaknesses or abilities you could exploit to finish the battle quickly, or at least heavily cripple the boss. P4's bosses are HP sponges with a few having novel ideas like "this HP sponge charges up and hits you hard" or "this HP sponge has a regenerating shield"
Compared to P3 where you had bosses like "carefully time a spinning wheel! If you do it right, you can inflict status effects on the boss, or even instantly kill it!" or "This boss constantly shifts weaknesses. Use your party chat to figure out which ones he has. If you do, you can knock it down and do a super powerful attack on it!"

Additionally, I disliked the awful, "pay money to heal SP" system. It's really loving punishing if you're just starting out. And P4 doesn't have Elizabeth, who is the best, most :3: character.

Otherwise yeah, P4 is better than P3. Play both of them on Easy though. Normal is if you're into SMT and are used to the series' mechanics and cockpunches, while Hard is just Atlus laughing at you.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I get that P3 bosses are mechanically more interesting but the Hanged Man was one of the worst boss fights ever. And that's not even getting into the harder version behind the Paradigm Door.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

P4 is a perfect game for casuals/tumblr users. It's slightly challenging, but not too challenging. Most of the characters have sexuality/gender issues and general insecurities for social justice warriors to latch onto. And it has lots of stupid meme material like Adachi and his cabbages for fans to run straight into the ground! They also typically poo poo-talk the previous three games even if they haven't played them.

It's not a bad game but boy, was I sick of hearing about it after a while. Insufferable Fanbase 101

Excels fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 4, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

I get that P3 bosses are mechanically more interesting but the Hanged Man was one of the worst boss fights ever. And that's not even getting into the harder version behind the Paradigm Door.

Hanged Man's not even hard, by that point you should have spells that can wipe out all his little angel minions in one blow, which makes him fall down and take a beating. I've never died to that boss.

The worst boss is probably the Lovers or Fortune/Strength. It's very easy to come up against those bosses underleveled, and they have moves that make your life incredibly difficult (Charm is loving bullshit)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Most P3 bosses are giant gimmicks too, but with extremely uninteresting gimmicks. Persona as a series in general is one that struggles with interesting boss fights, but that's honestly most JRPGs. This is a genre which allows for a lot of upward mobility usually and due to that making meaningful fights is a task in and of itself. I hate most of P3's boss fights, but that's not to say any of 4's are immediately better. I don't think anything's gonna top 13 phases of loving Nyx though, that was one of the dumbest things I have ever seen in a JRPG.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Excels posted:

P4 is a perfect game for casuals/tumblr users. It's slightly challenging, but not too challenging. Most of the characters have sexuality/gender issues and general insecurities for social justice warriors to latch onto. And it has lots of stupid meme material like Adachi and his cabbages for fans to run straight into the ground! They also typically poo poo-talk the previous three games even if they haven't played them.

If you're shocked that a game about relatively-normal teenagers growing up has to do a lot with identity of all sorts I don't know what to tell you. I'm also sorry you're so goony you'll let how much some complete strangers on tumblr like it affect your enjoyment of a game.

MarsDragon posted:

Persona 2 (Both of them) is probably my favorite cast of a Persona game, but the stories passing is super hosed and kind of just throws nonsense at you immediately after just finishing up explaining the last nonsense. Eikichi's the best persona 'best friend' character though. I love Yousuke and Junpei but Eikichi is in another league entirely.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

...Really? What was so bad about it? Use Megido to take out his three statues. He'll fall and be knocked down, letting you All-out attack him. Then he just uses physical skills against your party. When he summons the statues, use Megido to take them out again.
He was pretty HP spongy, now that I think about it, but not as bad as P4's bosses. I thought his problem was just how unremarkable he was :/

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

If you're shocked that a game about relatively-normal teenagers growing up has to do a lot with identity of all sorts I don't know what to tell you. I'm also sorry you're so goony you'll let how much some complete strangers on tumblr like it affect your enjoyment of a game.

I never said I was shocked. I also said it's a good game. My enjoyment was unaffected, I played it once and it was fine, then I moved on. But P4 fans never seem to move on from it. They still talk about it like it is the best JRPG ever loving made.

Also P4's "character development lite" involves

-raising the issue
-confronting the issue
-"okay i guess i kind of do hate everything/myself/life"
-issue is resolved.

the only characters who bring up those personal issues again are the drama-magnets like Kanji "ambiguous sexuality" Tatsumi and Naoto "excessive gender politics debate incoming" Shirogane

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It really sounds like you're more upset at tumblr people than anything having to do with the game. Just stay away from tumblr. I haven't heard the bulk of this stuff because I don't bother to go there.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I've also been to conventions and visited other forums and they all behaved in a pretty similar way. But I don't want to derail anymore than I already have, sorry.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Excels posted:

I never said I was shocked. I also said it's a good game. My enjoyment was unaffected, I played it once and it was fine, then I moved on. But P4 fans never seem to move on from it. They still talk about it like it is the best JRPG ever loving made.

Oh my gosh, there's people who like a thing more than you do!

No seriously your post about it really come off at you being weirdly upset with Tumblr people for enjoying the thing rather than the game itself. Just like, deep breaths man.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Oh my gosh, there's people who like a thing more than you do!

No seriously your post about it really come off at you being weirdly upset with Tumblr people for enjoying the thing rather than the game itself. Just like, deep breaths man.

I'm not mad or upset at anyone lmao

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Excels posted:

I'm not mad or upset at anyone lmao

Then stop posting like you are, man.

So, playing through X-2 again and I've kind of hosed up my usual order of mission so I'm powering through the first chapter without White Mage and it's kind of difficult since a lot of the enemies hit pretty hard and frequently and I've found myself actually having to use potions to stay alive.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

You might as well. It's not like you'll be using any of them once you get white mage or alchemist.

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012
I listened to the FFX audio drama the other day. Did John DiMaggio have a hangover or something when he recorded this? He sounds nothing like the Wakka from the games. Also the story is stupid and everything about it is stupid :(

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Welcome to the wonderful world of audio dramas, friend.

EDIT: Also it's been like 10 years or so, of course he's going to sound different.

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012
Oh yeah I realise its been over 10 years since FFX originally came out, but Tidus sounds pretty much the same. I dunno, it was just jarring to hear a pretty different voice for Wakka.

6 more Tonberries and I've finished the fayth cavern! I've found two in the first 10 minutes and none in the other 50 minutes...

Edit: spelling

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I feel like DiMaggio was really drunk or something while recording X - he'd already forgotten 90% of the accent by the time X-2 rolled around.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ya know, "Someday The Dream Will End" has to be the most perfect song for capturing X's atmosphere. If you could pick one song off the entire soundtrack to summarize "this... this is Final Fantasy X", it would have to be that song.

The fact it's used in Zanarkand was such an absolutely perfect choice.

The fact they stopped using it once you got into the Zanarkand Dome was such an absolutely stupid choice. I'll never get over how things are nice and touching and sad and then you got this bland, vaguely tense music. That song that plays in the Dome is pretty poo poo by comparison so that doesn't help.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The dude couldn't even remember who he voiced acted when he brought it up in a commentary on one of the Futurama movies, I think FFX is just a blur to him.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Ya know, "Someday The Dream Will End" has to be the most perfect song for capturing X's atmosphere. If you could pick one song off the entire soundtrack to summarize "this... this is Final Fantasy X", it would have to be that song.

The fact it's used in Zanarkand was such an absolutely perfect choice.

The fact they stopped using it once you got into the Zanarkand Dome was such an absolutely stupid choice. I'll never get over how things are nice and touching and sad and then you got this bland, vaguely tense music. That song that plays in the Dome is pretty poo poo by comparison so that doesn't help.

Someday The Dream Will End/A Fleeting Dream is far and away my favorite song from FFX as well, especially this version from Symphonic Odysseys.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

W.T. Fits posted:

I also recall there were occasions where people would manage to figure out ways to get around Absolute Virtue's bullshit (like swarms of Dark Knights zerging with Kraken Clubs), and Square Enix would effectively come back, say, "No, that's not The Right Way to Beat Him," and immediately patch the game to prevent it from working. (Also, if I remember right, their original intention for Absolute Virtue was that it was supposed to be impossible to beat, since the first time it actually was downed, it didn't drop anything since it didn't have a loot table.)

This isn't unique to FF11, except for the "we don't actually intend for this mob to die" part. In other badly made MMOs like Warhammer Online, people would find ways to do things like LoS a boss's special to make the fight easier, and they'd fix/gently caress the fight as a result. That was also the game where one side beat the other's emperor by kiting it while people DPSed the thing. Nordenwatch was fun though. :shrug:

Excels posted:

Insufferable pricks becoming cool bros later on is a fairly common theme in the "Tales of" series. Every Tales game has at least one Heel Face Turn.

Yuri is cool from the start and he gets better when he decides some people just need to die, and he goes Punisher on a few people. He also has the best pet/buddy. :chord:

He's not as cool as Jade though. Jade is a guy who seems to enjoy calling people out on their dumb bullshit. :allears:

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I never noticed that the Difficult stars on the FFX-2 Map actually changed based on your level. Being at level 35 in Chapter 1 has made every place on the map have a 1 star rating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Persona 2 (Both of them) is probably my favorite cast of a Persona game, but the stories passing is super hosed and kind of just throws nonsense at you immediately after just finishing up explaining the last nonsense. Eikichi's the best persona 'best friend' character though. I love Yousuke and Junpei but Eikichi is in another league entirely.

The fact that P2 stories are completely insane is why I love them. Way better than P3 not really doing anything interesting until October, at least. (Was it October? Whenever you beat Hanged Man)