Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

escape artist posted:

So let's see if I can figure this out. Only two Dennis and Frank pairings. Were they both in "Gang Gets Whacked"?

Dennis and Frank going to the orgy and glory hole shenanigans in "Mac & Charlie Die".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I feel like pairing the characters is a bit of a weird thing to try and do because most of the plots involve one member being cut out of a scheme and switching over halfway. In "Sweet Dee is Dating a Retarded Person", Dennis/Dee try to figure out whether Dee's actually dating a retarded person while Mac/Frank/Charlie form their band. Charlie gets kicked out and Dennis joins the band, then gets kicked out and teams up with Charlie. The episode ends with Dee on her own, Mac/Frank, and Charlie/Dennis. Or Charlie/Frank go back to Frank's old job in "Frank's Back in Business" while Dee/Dennis/Mac pose as corporate bigwigs (and a driver/bodyguard), but Mac leaves instead of banging the caddy and teams up with Charlie and Frank kind of just does his own thing.

But I suppose there are also a lot of straightforward episodes, like "The Gang Dines Out."

Dennis and Frank is probably my favorite pairing regardless, just because they're the two characters that most obviously can't stand each other. Plus that leaves Mac, Charlie, and Dee to kind of flail around (since they're probably the three least competent characters in the gang) and do things like drop tons of cats into Dee's apartment walls.

Hughmoris posted:

The episode where Dee was $cammin the IRS. Dennis and Frank paired together to enjoy some delicious Wolf Cola.

You rang?

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

FadingChord posted:

Dennis and Frank is probably my favorite pairing regardless, just because they're the two characters that most obviously can't stand each other. Plus that leaves Mac, Charlie, and Dee to kind of flail around (since they're probably the three least competent characters in the gang) and do things like drop tons of cats into Dee's apartment walls.

I bet it flattened itself out, went right through a seam in your wall.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Hughmoris posted:

The episode where Dee was $cammin the IRS. Dennis and Frank paired together to enjoy some delicious Wolf Cola.

Which reminds me, I have got to get some Wolf Cola business cards printed.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Mac and Frank running the sweatshop in Fatty Magoo v Aluminum Monster was kind of adorable. Not the sweatshop, but their interactions. Mac just wants to do well in front of a father figure :3:

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
Is that a steam whistle?

Chocolate
Jun 27, 2011
In season 9 the episode where Frank gets stuck in the coil (Mac and Dennis buy a timeshare?) the whole thing was absolute gold. When they are talking about why Frank got caught in the coil in the first place and they come to the conclusion that he was going down their to "pound off" I died. That was one of the funniest moments I've ever seen on television. It just culminates the whole Frank experience so perfectly for me. Season 9 was very funny but the whole pace too it just made me sad. They are just trying to tie up loose ends because the series is ending soon. (Signed through 10 with FXX or whatever the gently caress it is)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Chocolate posted:

In season 9 the episode where Frank gets stuck in the coil (Mac and Dennis buy a timeshare?) the whole thing was absolute gold. When they are talking about why Frank got caught in the coil in the first place and they come to the conclusion that he was going down their to "pound off" I died.

(Bolding mine.)

I love that in the Christmas Special a few years back, Dennis and Dee make fun of Frank for using such a weird term for masturbating, and then they start using it too. :allears:

Anyone know when the latest season will go onto Netflix? I browned-out for a lot of episodes, so I'm sure there are some jokes I missed.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Chocolate posted:

In season 9 the episode where Frank gets stuck in the coil (Mac and Dennis buy a timeshare?) the whole thing was absolute gold. When they are talking about why Frank got caught in the coil in the first place and they come to the conclusion that he was going down their to "pound off" I died. That was one of the funniest moments I've ever seen on television. It just culminates the whole Frank experience so perfectly for me. Season 9 was very funny but the whole pace too it just made me sad. They are just trying to tie up loose ends because the series is ending soon. (Signed through 10 with FXX or whatever the gently caress it is)

Not just pound off...but "Pound off in the night"

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

DrBouvenstein posted:

(Bolding mine.)

I love that in the Christmas Special a few years back, Dennis and Dee make fun of Frank for using such a weird term for masturbating, and then they start using it too. :allears:

Anyone know when the latest season will go onto Netflix? I browned-out for a lot of episodes, so I'm sure there are some jokes I missed.

Usually it's around the time the DVD is released, which is usually right around the end of summer.

Off topic a bit, but I wouldn't be surprised if they kept doing the show after season 10. Judging by interviews and comments by various members of the gang, they've pretty much said that they still enjoy doing the show and that they haven't burned out on it yet because they only do like 10 or 12 episodes a season. It'll probably up to FX, really.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 2, 2014

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
The UK netflix has season 9.
Which is pretty drat fast.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I pimp these guys a lot, but Unblock US offers a Netflix region changer, week trial so you can probably watch all of s9 before you pay. Can get BBC iPlayer and all that too.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Seasons 11 and 12, bitches.

http://tvline.com/2014/04/04/its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-renewed-seasons-11-12-fxx/

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

quote:

...making the series the longest running live-action comedy in cable history.
What was the previous record holder?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I think MST3K, but I'm not positive.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Seinfeld or Friends or Frasier?

Also, it should be noted that just because it's the longest running show by season, it is still far under the "most episodes of a live action sitcom". Still a cool accomplishment though. I remember watching the first season and thinking "well, this is too gimmicky, and they're going to run out of hot button issues to make fun of really quickly."

:allears: So happy to be wrong.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Married with Children if it's not Seinfeld.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The record is for cable shows, so those shows don't count.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

escape artist posted:

Seinfeld or Friends or Frasier?

TUS posted:

Married with Children if it's not Seinfeld.

Those were on Broadcast TV Networks, this is Cable.

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/residential-home/support/faqs/faqs-tv/retransmis/whats-the-difference-between-a.html

Edit: beaten

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Looks like they pushed back the start of next season to January 2015, though :smith:

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Wow, I love all that extra stuff the gang will be involved in for FXX!

A show with Tracy Jordan Morgan produced by Rob, Charlie, and Glenn and a pilot by the Artemis and the waitress.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Nate RFB posted:

Live action comedy record is 14 years, Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet. Always Sunny will match the second longest at 12 years, My Three Sons. Afaik. MASH Cheers Frasier Friends Married... Happy Days Murphy Brown Jeffersons all got stuck at 10-11.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Looks like they pushed back the start of next season to January 2015, though :smith:

:negative:

Where did you see that?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

PittTheElder posted:

:negative:

Where did you see that?

quote:

The upcoming 10th season of Sunny will not launch in the fall as previous ones but unspool in January 2015, paired with RCG’s newest series, a comedy created by McElhenney, Day, Howerton, and Sunny writer Rakhe and starring Tracy Morgan.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/04/rob...n-comedy-pilot/

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Glenn said on Preston and Steve(radio show dudes from Mac's Big Break) that none of the new season will be filmed in Philly because of babies and reasons.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don't miss the push back if they knew about it in advance and might be able to tie up episodes with things like NYE etc. The Christmas special was so good and it always saddens me that the show is usually off the air by November, so we've not had another.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

omg chael crash posted:

Glenn said on Preston and Steve(radio show dudes from Mac's Big Break) that none of the new season will be filmed in Philly because of babies and reasons.

Understandable.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I don't miss the push back if they knew about it in advance and might be able to tie up episodes with things like NYE etc. The Christmas special was so good and it always saddens me that the show is usually off the air by November, so we've not had another.

God, that Christmas special is spectacular :allears:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Understandable.

God, that Christmas special is spectacular :allears:

"Did you gently caress my mom? Did you gently caress...my MOM? Did you gently caress my mom, Santa Claus? Did you gently caress my mom?! Did you gently caress her?! DID YOU gently caress MY loving MOM?! DID YOU gently caress MY MOM, SANTA?!"

I've found that showing people that scene out of context is actually a pretty effective sell for the show.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
gently caress you in your fat loving rear end.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Hey so I'm looking for a video that was posted here a while back that was called "Every god drat it from It's Always Sunny" but it seems to have been taken off the internet. It's a long shot but does anyone have it saved? It's seriously the funniest loving video I've ever watched and it's basically the whole show in a few minutes.

Please help :kiddo:

RoughDraft2.0
Mar 8, 2007

We really like your car, Mrs. LaRusso.
Whelp, thread is moving too fast for me. Surprised no one brought up the fact that Sunny's renewal resulted in a $50 million payout to the show's production company (i.e. Rob, Glenn, Charlie). I always thought of the show as this grimy little bastard child that would never see the big network money. I just hope they bonus Roddy Piper.

Also caught Howerton's movie, "Coffee Town," on Cinemax the other night. It was surprisingly okay, with some decent laughs and payoffs. Josh Groban can actually act.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Have the ratings recovered due to being on FXX? The thread seemed to be a lot less active this last season due to it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Harry posted:

Have the ratings recovered due to being on FXX? The thread seemed to be a lot less active this last season due to it.

Well there haven't been any new episodes in almost six months, and next season is premiering in January...so...we'll have to wait and see, I guess.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Well there haven't been any new episodes in almost six months, and next season is premiering in January...so...we'll have to wait and see, I guess.

I kind of meant towards the end of the season. I was under the impression FXX didn't even turn "on" for most people like 1/4th of the way through the season.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Harry posted:

I kind of meant towards the end of the season. I was under the impression FXX didn't even turn "on" for most people like 1/4th of the way through the season.

Nope:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_Always_Sunny_in_Philadelphia_(season_9)#Ratings

It did the usual "trail off until the season finale" thing that shows do, only FXX really hurt it. I'm sure FX just looks at it as a type of "loss-leader" type situation anyway, and the gang got a multi-season renewal and $$$ deal so they're probably not that pissed anymore either.

Unled
May 24, 2001

Charlie Day's (really good) Merrimack College Commencement Address

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IulvPqb1Eus

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Just did an eleven-episode run of all the Rickety Cricket episodes. Such a great supporting character, and it's really funny to see him getting worse and worse, then his fake-out redemption in his priest clothes in "The High School Reunion", only to find out he's still a desperate drug addicted maniac.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Lancelot posted:

Just did an eleven-episode run of all the Rickety Cricket episodes. Such a great supporting character, and it's really funny to see him getting worse and worse, then his fake-out redemption in his priest clothes in "The High School Reunion", only to find out he's still a desperate drug addicted maniac.

What's great is after all that, you'd get to the last episode and the Gang would be baffled as to why Cricket thinks they have beef with him.

They've ruined that poor bastard's life. Not to mention all the teabags.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
The last two episodes of season 8 ("The Gang Dines Out" and "Reynolds vs. Reynolds: the Cereal Defense") are easily my two favourite episodes of the entire series.

Both are brilliant examples of the main cast's chemistry without the distraction of recurring characters. It's great cos for a while there it seemed as if they needed the Waitress or Cricket to elevate the ridiculousness of their shenanigans. But the essence of the show is still clearly there: the Gang alone is the catalyst of their own insane demise.

Haha I also really loved that brief nod in the second episode to the fact that there are other people in the bar while the Gang are in the middle of a scheme. If anything, it just further affirms their shamelessness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Unled posted:

Charlie Day's (really good) Merrimack College Commencement Address

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IulvPqb1Eus

That was really good.