Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Hace posted:

Also by some miracle they use Ripple instead of hamon.

I never really had an issue with it being hamon or ripple, its a magical anime force instead of a random word like keikaku, what's the big deal?

E: keikaku means plan btw

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Broseph Brostar posted:

I never really had an issue with it being hamon or ripple, its a magical anime force instead of a random word like keikaku, what's the big deal?

I see it as Part 1 is in England, so why not use the English word?

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Broseph Brostar posted:

It's a magical anime force that literally uses ripples to fight people. The reason not to translate it isn't really different from the reason not to translate whatever random word.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Broseph Brostar posted:

I don't care, except Hamon literally just means ripple in Japanese. In the context of JoJo it's a big deal so it's OK to not translate it, but it does JUST mean a ripple. I do prefer a translation that actually translates real words to their direct English counterparts.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

hoobajoo posted:

I don't care, except Hamon literally just means ripple in Japanese. In the context of JoJo it's a big deal so it's OK to not translate it, but it does JUST mean a ripple. I do prefer a translation that actually translates real words to their direct English counterparts.

I generally don't like it when translations decide to leave words un-translated just because they're "important" or something like aniki, shinigami, etc. The Japanese don't see the word as "hamon" they see the word as "ripple" so we should too.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

It is dumb to leave it untranslated, but it's not my first concern about a translation of part I.

Speaking of which, do they have Dio referring to himself as "I, Dio"? Cause that's what I really care about.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Broseph Brostar posted:

It is dumb to leave it untranslated, but it's not my first concern about a translation of part I.

Speaking of which, do they have Dio referring to himself as "I, Dio"? Cause that's what I really care about.

No. It seems to be mostly the official subs with a few tweaks, but that was left untweaked. :(

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Fat_Cow posted:

Lets see if they spoil anything in the OP like in part 2.

Well, to be fair thats not really that bad. This is a beloved media franchise thats been around for over 25 years, nobody in the intended audience was being spoiled when Ceasers death was incredibly heavy handedly foreshadowed in the OP. That would be like complaining that a broadway reimagining of Starwars 'spoiled' Darth Vader being Lukes dad on the poster. The intended audience already knows. Its not like they were going for a dick move or anything

e: At the same time, people new to the franchise should either take spoilers in stride or just go on full lockdown. Everyone in the thread will do thier best not to say anything, but now that youre exposed to JoJo youll start looking in places where you wouldnt look before (like watching videos of the fighting games, for example) and my inadvertently spoil yourself on minor details. I wouldnt take it too seriously, since this is 100% a series thats about the journey and not about the destination.

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 4, 2014

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

CodfishCartographer posted:

I generally don't like it when translations decide to leave words un-translated just because they're "important" or something like aniki, shinigami, etc. The Japanese don't see the word as "hamon" they see the word as "ripple" so we should too.

I agree with you, I'm just saying it doesn't ruin my enjoyment of the series if it's left untranslated. Not keeping the flow of Jonathan's heart/heat/beat mini speech bothers me a lot more, but I grant that's a harder problem to work out.

I think there are some things that while technically being translatable, I prefer them to be left untouched. Onii for brother is one, it sounds absurdly weird to always call someone 'brother' like it's their name, and just translating it as their name sounds weirdly dissonant when the Japanese dialog doesn't have their name in it. The name suffixes like -san is another one that can lose a lot of meaning or completely changed the tone.
But that is all personal preference, and ripple/hamon is not one of these hard to translate words anyway.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Meme Emulator posted:

Well, to be fair thats not really that bad. This is a beloved media franchise thats been around for over 25 years, nobody in the intended audience was being spoiled when Ceasers death was incredibly heavy handedly foreshadowed in the OP. That would be like complaining that a broadway reimagining of Starwars 'spoiled' Darth Vader being Lukes dad on the poster. The intended audience already knows. Its not like they were going for a dick move or anything

e: At the same time, people new to the franchise should either take spoilers in stride or just go on full lockdown. Everyone in the thread will do thier best not to say anything, but now that youre exposed to JoJo youll start looking in places where you wouldnt look before (like watching videos of the fighting games, for example) and my inadvertently spoil yourself on minor details. I wouldnt take it too seriously, since this is 100% a series thats about the journey and not about the destination.

Yeah this thread will try really hard to not spoil things. Most OPs are short and fast enough that there aren't too many things you'll catch if you aren't actively looking for it/already know, but I can think of a couple things they might do that would spoil things. We'll see if they did them in a week.

e: finished the post. Thanks improbable key combination I accidentally hit that posted this early!

e2: but seriously I have been so hyped for Old Joseph since this part was confirmed and he is not disappointing so far. Would have liked Sugita returning as an old man but this is pretty good too.

Vagithug
Dec 27, 2012

by Ralp

Dehry posted:

https://twitter.com/shoko55mmts/status/452112489459642369

I'm not sure what's up with Jojo's but apparently Shōko Nakagawa (of Pokemon Sunday/Smash/Get TV fame) is a fan.

I think everyone in Japan is a fan.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I was surprised they made it as far as they did in the first episode. I was half-expecting them to use the entire time for the prison fight.

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012
Between this and Mushishi S2 I'm hyped as hell. I wish it was next week already.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

hoobajoo posted:

I agree with you, I'm just saying it doesn't ruin my enjoyment of the series if it's left untranslated. Not keeping the flow of Jonathan's heart/heat/beat mini speech bothers me a lot more, but I grant that's a harder problem to work out.

I never knew this was a thing till I read that Jojo doujin.

I do miss Sugita's Joseph, he really was perfect for the role.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I can only hope the soundtrack is as great as it was during Battle Tendency. I'm sure it's just too early to tell, but when Part 2 opened with that sick-as-hell fight in the alley with Overdrive playing, this episode leaves me wanting.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I dunno, I really liked Avdol's theme.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Fun fact: Jotaro was drinking Heineken in the manga.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If any track in the soundtrack is even half as good as Awake, the OST will be fantastic

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
First episode was pretty great and the music already bodes incredibly well.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Oh that was some rad stuff. Can't wait to see what Joseph's STAND looks like! :allears:

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I just watched the first episode and have never read the manga. I'm a little confused and I think I missed something: Didn't Erina and baby Lisa Lisa survive the boat explosion by hiding in Dio's coffin? Where did Dio find this other coffin to hide in with Johnathan's body? Wtf? If this is something we find out later then I will just wait. The animation quality is noticeably way better this season. I am so pumped for episode 2.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Housh posted:

I just watched the first episode and have never read the manga. I'm a little confused and I think I missed something: Didn't Erina and baby Lisa Lisa survive the boat explosion by hiding in Dio's coffin? Where did Dio find this other coffin to hide in with Johnathan's body? Wtf? If this is something we find out later then I will just wait. The animation quality is noticeably way better this season. I am so pumped for episode 2.

You didn't miss poo poo. Araki straight up forgot about Erina using the coffin back when he started Stardust Crusaders.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Are you loving serious?!

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Housh posted:

Much like a clam, DIO is able to create a coffin out of his body in order to defend himself from natural predators like the sun.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Pomp posted:

You didn't miss poo poo. Araki straight up forgot about Erina using the coffin back when he started Stardust Crusaders.

Yeah it's just a plot hole. Just assume that Dio planned far enough ahead to have a spare coffin and everything's fine.

e: ^^^ Or that.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Housh posted:

Are you loving serious?!

Dead loving.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Pomp posted:

I know lol isn't allowed, but goddamn that's the only responce I have to that

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Housh posted:

Are you loving serious?!

Araki does this with a ton of plot points throughout the series. Get used to it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I'm more surprised they didn't retcon it in season 1.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kurtofan posted:

I'm more surprised they didn't retcon it in season 1.

As far as I could tell, they didn't give Jonathan the birthmark either. It looks like they're just gonna let all the retcons happen when they happen.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Both Jonathan and Joseph's birthmarks are shown in the anime prior to Stardust Crusaders, but Jonathan's is more obscured than Joseph's.

I would say I'm surprised that they didn't fix the coffin thing with Dio, but then again you really can't fix that sort of thing, I guess. I mean it'd be pretty dumb if Dio brought a second coffin with him for no reason other than to set up that he was coming back in Part 3, so enjoy some of these retcons. Although, it's not like this series is short of things that are big leaps in logic so whatevs.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It probably makes more sense to just assume that when Erina was rescued that they didn't take the coffin with them and dio just picked it up during his time under the sea.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

DIO made sure to pack a second emergency coffin, just in case. A coffin is a vampire's most important tool, and they never really want to be caught without one.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
They showed the coffin had a hidden layer, so maybe Erina and Lisa Lisa just drifted for a while and were picked up by a boat, and they left the coffin in the ocean.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
The narrator said the coffin had a false bottom in the intro.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
It's a double-decker coffin, you know how the British are.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Housh posted:

Are you loving serious?!

You're going to have to get used to that. Araki tends to do it a lot, though it's usually forgivable.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Mimir posted:

It's a double-decker coffin, you know how the British are.

I kinda love the idea of Dio putting his head on Jonathan's body, stealthily getting to the bottom of the coffin whilst engulfed in flames, setting up the fake bottom and agonizing as Erina gets on without noticing all that bullshit. :3:

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Another possible theory is that Dio was just chilling out on the bottom of the ocean for a while and then just so happened to find his coffin, so he slipped on inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CJ posted:

The narrator said the coffin had a false bottom in the intro.
Dio laying in there as they pull Erina aboard, all "Yes! Yes!"

*splash*

:mad:

• Locked thread