Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm curious if this has happened in any MMO, I've been in the beta for far too many to count and playing far too many at launch, and this has never been a thing. It fucks up too many things. There might be a name reservation or something but that's it.

Neverwinter did this, I believe. War Thunder, too. As for others... I don't think any P2P has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Please go look at the image posted further up the page.

Reminder that you had to do that for every single character you or anyone else had.

Attunements were removed because they were loving stupid and added nothing to the game except for stopping people playing together.

Rasmussen posted:

I loving hated having to drag new raiding recruits through all the Burning Crusade attunements. It's just a massive bullshit barrier of entry.

This is just a matter of implementation. Ridiculous attunement lines like that Mount Hyjal bullshit are obviously terrible, nobody's defending that. But if you take something smaller, more reasonable, and rationally related - like unlocking Cimerora in CoH, or beating the Gatekeeper in TSW - and what exactly is the problem?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

kafziel posted:

This is just a matter of implementation. Ridiculous attunement lines like that Mount Hyjal bullshit are obviously terrible, nobody's defending that. But if you take something smaller, more reasonable, and rationally related - like unlocking Cimerora in CoH, or beating the Gatekeeper in TSW - and what exactly is the problem?

Attunements are pretty terrible all around. And anyone that supports attunements is more than a bit of a sperg. People want to play the content introduced to a game, not the content they've potentially already done or have no need to do. There's a reason why Blizzard and every other MMO out there that's remotely modern pretty much violently shies away from them nowadays. They're a call back to the old "grindcore" era of MMO gaming.

Seriously, gently caress anyone that thinks that forcing 20 to 38 or so people through earlier content just so you can have one or two members ready to do the real content that everyone wants to play in the first place is a good thing. It's another trick developers tried to use to artificially gate access to content and force people to stay subbed longer under the auspices of being a challenge or providing "hardcore" content. In reality all it does is just waste people's time.

If you have to gate content that badly at least do it through special gear or something. That way people have something appreciable for what's essentially wasted time. SWTOR has started doing something like this with special equipment drops that unlock brand new bonus boss fights in the current content after you beat the latest raids a few times. At least people come away from that with something other than a wasted night and old loot they can't even loving use.

Edit: Also, your examples are terrible compared to what attunements actually are in practice. The Gatekeeper is just a ten minute single player skill checker that ensures you have the two digits of IQ necessary to do nightmare tier instances without wiping your group in The Secret World. Cimerora was a largely single player quest line that involved the progression of a storyline.

Neither of these are really attunements. The Gatekeeper is literally a mechanic designed to ensure that you aren't useless to your fellow group members. And in the case of Cimerora it's just an actual storyline that takes place outside group content.

If you want an attunement, the fact that you have to replay and complete every dungeon in the game in hard mode to unlock the Gatekeeper would probably count. Coincidentally, most people agree that The Secret World has a terrible end game that is grindy as hell as a result of poo poo like that.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 2, 2014

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

kafziel posted:

The hyjal attunement was something happened as a result of small, reasonable, and rationally related attunements.

You start playing in BC, and they have a new shiny feature, flying mounts, so they design some instances to be inaccessible to people without flying. Not a huge deal.

They also introduce the caverns of time, and in order to make the caverns of time more appealing, they have you do the quest chain to unlock each part, which isn't really huge or unreasonable and is very rationally related, and you can even do each part as you level from 60-70. Not a huge deal.

Arcatraz is a prison, so yeah, let's make it a key to get in, makes sense right? Where do we put the key parts? Make it a soloable quest that takes place in that area, where you have to do 2 other dungeons to get the last pieces, because they're in the same set of dungeons. Not a huge deal?

Then you need to get the karazhan key, and where else would you put the key to it but with Medivh himself, who happens to be in one of your shiny new caverns of time dungeons, which is the most rationally related place it could possibly be. Not a big de- wait a minute.

In order to gear up for doing this, you've been doing regular dungeons and by now, with dedicated playing, have unlocked a pretty minimal threshold (for this era of mmos) of rep so that you can unlock the other new feature: heroics. So let's show off the heroics by making them necessary in order to unlock the quests for Tier 5 raids. I mean, hell, you're farming heroics for gear anyway, might as well make it where you get the tier 5 raid attunement quests, right? Hold on a seco-

And now that you've unlocked the ability to do this, let's go raid tier 4 dungeons! Karazhan and gruul's are super fun, right? And then we can add in a quest to get to the next tier of raiding, because poo poo, you're gonna be farming this place anyway!

And you can see how using the metric of "small, reasonable, and rationally related" can lead to a giant loving mess of an attunement monster because you just keep adding to it. Locking content behind a single thing isn't a huge deal, even though it's still also a pain in the rear end for getting your new people up to speed, but these things will multiply to the point where it's an insurmountable pile of utter trash and time wasting that no one wants to do.

That was super long, but apparently it needs to be spelled out. Also, to reiterate, having to catch new people up with attunements blows dicks and gets in the way of the entire point of the game: killing mans with buds.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Archonex posted:

They're a call back to the old "grindcore" era of MMO gaming.

The amount of rep grinding in WoW right now to get an alt up to par is worse than beating a dungeon once and completing a single quest. You literally have to sit and grind to get rep to unlock things instead, which is way more grindcore than completing a dungeon that you were going to complete anyways a single time before moving on to the next level of content. Attunements are way, way more 'casual' than rep grinding, which encourages large amounts of poopsock sperglord time spent in the game.

Bauxite posted:

That was super long, but apparently it needs to be spelled out. Also, to reiterate, having to catch new people up with attunements blows dicks and gets in the way of the entire point of the game: killing mans with buds.

This is the worst part of attunements/rep grinds of any kind and could be easily remedied by making attunements and rep type things account/guild wide, unlocked by things like achievements or what have you. Like the other dude said its entirely a matter of how its implemented, but there will always be hurdles when progressing from lower level content to higher level content, even if those hurdles are literally your character level.

You could easily make the argument that levels themselves are a call back to "grindcore" mmos, why not just start everyone at max level with all their abilities and the ability to do all the content right from the start? Those drat spergs and their "levels".

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 2, 2014

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010

Evil_Greven posted:

Neverwinter did this, I believe. War Thunder, too. As for others... I don't think any P2P has.

Neverwinter's open beta was more properly a soft launch, so I'm really not convinced it counts.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Bauxite posted:

And you can see how using the metric of "small, reasonable, and rationally related" can lead to a giant loving mess of an attunement monster because you just keep adding to it. Locking content behind a single thing isn't a huge deal, even though it's still also a pain in the rear end for getting your new people up to speed, but these things will multiply to the point where it's an insurmountable pile of utter trash and time wasting that no one wants to do.
As someone who was rather indifferent to attunements (having stopped WoW before the worst of it besides Naxx), this argument finds me well since they didn't seem like a big deal, but piling up definitely makes sense.

They could, of course, always remove the necessity of attunement to earlier content when they add later content to prevent the pile from growing or allow your attunement to allow two (so a 20-man raid would only need 10 attuned) with the presumption that players would get their own attunement eventually (to prevent instances where it disrupted plans), but lowering the barrier from joining others if you weren't in on the ground floor.

While having a quest lead-in for a raid is nice, it seems better to err on the side of not accidently screwing over most of a raid because a few people aren't attuned yet.

I distinctly remember totally breaking the MC attunement in the early goings of WoW (was part of a zerg guild with like 200+ members) when we had a single group run Blackrock Depths and then used Warlocks to summon in and attune over 100 people (think it allowed them to attune down to level 40). It was pretty funny.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

bUm posted:

I distinctly remember totally breaking the MC attunement in the early goings of WoW (was part of a zerg guild with like 200+ members) when we had a single group run Blackrock Depths and then used Warlocks to summon in and attune over 100 people (think it allowed them to attune down to level 40). It was pretty funny.

Before they put limits on the dungeons you could easily just run BRD with 40 people and walk into the instance, thats how my guild got their main raiding group attuned.

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008
Attunements in theory aren't necessarily bad, as they can be useful for saying "if you can't do this, you won't be able to do the thing you're trying to unlock." The problems with them occur when they're either out of the way or so obtuse that doing them on multiple different characters becomes a chore, which is what usually happens and as such renders them merely a method to squeeze out more playtime out of players.

Rep grinds in most of their modern and original contexts are literally methods to force players to spend more time doing things so that they don't complete all the content and burn out too quickly, in order to keep subscriptions up. I can't think of a single time where a rep grind wasn't this.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Reason posted:

The amount of rep grinding in WoW right now to get an alt up to par is worse than beating a dungeon once and completing a single quest. You literally have to sit and grind to get rep to unlock things instead, which is way more grindcore than completing a dungeon that you were going to complete anyways a single time before moving on to the next level of content. Attunements are way, way more 'casual' than rep grinding, which encourages large amounts of poopsock sperglord time spent in the game.

Actually, there is currently no rep grinding involved in gearing up an alt in WoW. Just a Timeless Isle and LFR grind. Debatable on which is better.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Shadowlyger posted:

Actually, there is currently no rep grinding involved in gearing up an alt in WoW. Just a Timeless Isle and LFR grind. Debatable on which is better.

Timeless is a piece of cake. It's basically GW2's gameplay but lighter with all the events (In a boss rush format.) too, and with a ridiculously fast rate to gear up to boot.

I was geared just from the intro quests to do raiding in like two hours with it. Definitely not a grind at all. The only way it is if you think you're supposed to randomly kill mobs instead of hook up with a kill train and hunt treasure chests.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 3, 2014

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

kafziel posted:

If the attunements were all soloable and had lots of neat story and exploration I would be fine with that, but forcing a group of people to drag someone through several hours and several dungeons just so you can actually get to the content you want to play together is the worst. And then you have to do it all again the next week and the next week because you will always have raiders coming and going when you are dealing with 40 man groups.

Having said that, I am not mad at this game. I guess I'm a real sucker for theme parks because I raided WoW from vanilla to the end of Firelands and I also loved SWTOR although I didn't raid in that.

clone on the phone fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 3, 2014

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Rasmussen posted:

If the attunements were all soloable and had lots of neat story and exploration I would be fine with that, but forcing a group of people to drag someone through several hours and several dungeons just so you can actually get to the content you want to play together is the worst. And then you have to do it all again the next week and the next week because you will always have raiders coming and going when you are dealing with 40 man groups.

I wholeheartedly agree. Which is why I'd like to know more about the sort of attunements they have in mind before passing judgment.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

edit: wrong thread

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Reason posted:

This is the worst part of attunements/rep grinds of any kind and could be easily remedied by making attunements and rep type things account/guild wide, unlocked by things like achievements or what have you.

Basically heirloom gear, but for attunements. Hell, I would have thrown X Badges at a spare Karazhan key for my alt. I had lots of fun doing attunements on my main, when I was sorta caught up with the main guild group. That's exciting. You run off and do the solo parts of the quest chain. They're usually dripping with flavor and lore connected to the endgame stuff, so you're getting pumped up. Gonna go raid Karazhan. Go through these quests. Okay, in the Dark Portal instance. Just got handed the key to Karazhan by Medivh himself! Awesome! People pipe up, when you're asking in /g about getting this or that group together, so you can do your dungeon quests.

"Oh I need that."

"Me too. I'll heal."

Everyone's kinda doing it together, and it's exciting, warming you up for the bigger group endeavors of actually raiding. Attunements are really fun and a great way to get players invested in the raid instance, before they've even stepped foot in it.

They're great...in that 1-2 week window, when everyone's doing them. After that, they're a roadblock, and you dread them, because you're the slow rear end in a top hat begging for a group for an instance everyone's done to death, has all the pre-raid gear from, and hates. Even worse, if you're trying to get an alt geared up.

That's what BC was like. Especially bad before Heroics and Badges came into being, giving people some small reason to run Dark Portal yet again.

Attunements might have worked in WotLK. BC and Vanilla instances could be godawful slogs. I think my first SLab run was something like 3 hours, and that was a guild group. In LK, even the Heroics were manageable with pugs, and they were short enough that a run wasn't basically the rest of your night. Group Finder made a huge difference, as well. Badges could buy you lots of stuff that was useful to even purped out raiders, so you usually had a good gear cushion too. There was dual-speccing, so even if you tanked in raids, it didn't hurt to get a DPS suit together. There was also the Disenchant option for loot, and you always needed enchant mats. Everyone had a decent reason to run an instance in addition to dragging your undergeared rear end through it.

Getting those group quests done. Those godawful 'gently caress you, and your tank alt' brick walls that came up in every attunement chain prior to WotLK were basically solved in WotLK, but there were no elaborate attunements to prove that point.

These solutions are part of the MMO vocabulary now. A WoW style MMO without dual-specs, scaled dungeon rewards, and group-finders is just a quaint idea, these days.

Attunements are cool. I like them, and the big plate of lore they serve up. They're a great opportunity for epic questlines, and the main problems with them can be mitigated by modern MMO features.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
I personally think that the TSW attunement process got it right.
1. Finish every dungeon on the elite version - shows that you'll probably have a decent amount of blue gear and know the fights and mechanics
2. Defeat the gatekeeper - a SOLO fight with AIs that mimic other players to try and prepare you for what's ahead (AI who do stupid poo poo like "stand in the red" on purpose). This shows that you have an ability set that you'll need to do the nightmare dungeons, and also means you don't need to drag everyone along to "get you attuned"

What I'd like to see is the attunement quest being something

I think the Karazhan attunement had it right, a solo quest with a few dungeon requirements. The only thing I'd like to see different is have it be achievement based (like TSW dungeon completion is) rather than quest based, or at least "unmissable" - it allows people to get what they need the first time they do the dungeon, rather than having to wade through something they've done 6 times because they missed a quest earlier on and the guy you need to talk to is in the bowels of the dungeon

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
Curse has started giving out those beta keys, for those of you interested. I finally managed to nab one for myself and see this game firsthand.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Zakmonster posted:

Curse has started giving out those beta keys, for those of you interested. I finally managed to nab one for myself and see this game firsthand.

Thanks for the tip, I finally got one myself.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Zakmonster posted:

I also want to say thanks, managed to nab a key!

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Zakmonster posted:

Cheers for this, I always prefer trying before buying!

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Even if the attunement processes are fun, account bound, and achievable through solo game play you are still going to have tons of guilds experience tons of annoying nights because at least one person that they cannot replace has not been attuned. It sucks. There is nothing fun about that. You can have all of the fun aspects of well designed content that normally gets associated with attunement without there actually being any content gating associated with it. You just have to exchange the attunement carrot with a different carrot. There are also plenty of ways to design your MMO's end game content so that players understand the path of progression without including an attunement.

With that said, what else does an attunement's role serve other than simply being a poorly design old idea to solve old problems which was used only because no one else decided to design something better in its stead at the time? I cannot think of a single reason.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I got a curse beta key and started playing, it's pretty neat so far. The UI feels really busy.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

^^Edit: I felt like the UI was put together with a weird priority of what needed to be easily accessible. Like, you can access the in game store with two clicks, but it takes 5 to get to the quest journal for some reason. Being able to move things around yourself is something that should absolutely be in it. Just make it like an apple interface and let me decide what should be categorized where (and then have a legal team ready for the inevitable lawsuits :v:)

The only way I've seen attunements done that I liked was when it's completely optional but gives a decent reward when you finish it. You don't need to do it to get in, but eventually it's a good idea to do it.

And when you do that, it's not an attunement. It's just a good quest that can fill out lore and will give decent rewards to supplement your lovely dice rolls for loot. So yeah, no good way to do attunements for the simple fact that the entire purpose of an attunement is to cockblock you from killing mans with buds and brews on friday nights until you do your homework.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 4, 2014

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Xavier434 posted:

Even if the attunement processes are fun, account bound, and achievable through solo game play you are still going to have tons of guilds experience tons of annoying nights because at least one person that they cannot replace has not been attuned. It sucks.

I disagree on this point because that moron that wasn't attuned should get his act together and know what's required to run the freaking dungeon. He's the same guy that's stacking deflect gear as a DPS.

My point was that the attunement process should come naturally through the flow of the game and shouldn't be a hassle to people that are progressing in a normal way.
In reality, all of the dungeons in this game have an attunement process - you need to visit the entrance before you are able to queue for it (except for STL and KV - which it was removed).

In my opinion, it's nice to have attunement quests for the purposes of lore, but they need to come with minimal additional effort other than "completing quests you normally would have completed anyway as progression through the game"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Attunement processes are exclusionary by their very nature, which in my eyes means there is absolutely no valid reason for having them. I guess my whole idea of what makes MMOs worthwhile has changed over the years.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

The same thing is true for levels or meaningful power progression at all, yet they seem to be inseparable from the MMO recipe.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

pun pundit posted:

The same thing is true for levels or meaningful power progression at all, yet they seem to be inseparable from the MMO recipe.

You're exactly correct, probably why I'm so into GW2 and can't see myself playing a traditional MMO again. GW2 is many things and sure has many faults which I'm sure the spergs itching for 40 man raiding here will be quick to point out, but it's an extremely inclusive games that takes away many traditional barriers.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

I guess my whole idea of what makes MMOs worthwhile has changed over the years.

This is true for me and I think probably a lot of people too. I'm going to give Wildstar a shot because I like their humor and art style, but if I end up getting bored or not liking it I think I'm likely going to be done with MMOs for a good long time. They're just too samey.

Of course contradicting that is the fact that while GW2 did things differently, I didn't like how that turned out either. I think I'm just really loving picky these days. Probably because I have a job and don't have 16 hours of free time every day like I used to.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I disagree on this point because that moron that wasn't attuned should get his act together and know what's required to run the freaking dungeon. He's the same guy that's stacking deflect gear as a DPS.

My point was that the attunement process should come naturally through the flow of the game and shouldn't be a hassle to people that are progressing in a normal way.
In reality, all of the dungeons in this game have an attunement process - you need to visit the entrance before you are able to queue for it (except for STL and KV - which it was removed).

In my opinion, it's nice to have attunement quests for the purposes of lore, but they need to come with minimal additional effort other than "completing quests you normally would have completed anyway as progression through the game"

The thing for me is that "moron" is with me playing video games because he/she likes playing video games and so do I. There should be nothing stopping us from playing together at that point. I don't like playing with spergy try hards or people whose panties get tied in a knot just because one of their team members offers a little advice. Basically what I am saying is that I really dislike the idea of adding in an annoying feature like attunements just so that some players can use them as a tool to filter out other people. Not only are there more efficient ways to accomplish the same thing, the annoying side effects that attunements cause upon the player base as a whole completely defeats the purpose of trying to save time and headaches by weeding out other players. Not to mention that weeding out people for those kinds of reasons puts a real sour taste in my mouth in general.

It is a crappy solution to a crappy problem designed to satisfy those with crappy attitudes.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Xavier434 posted:

The thing for me is that "moron" is with me playing video games because he/she likes playing video games and so do I. There should be nothing stopping us from playing together at that point. I don't like playing with spergy try hards or people whose panties get tied in a knot just because one of their team members offers a little advice. Basically what I am saying is that I really dislike the idea of adding in an annoying feature like attunements just so that some players can use them as a tool to filter out other people. Not only are there more efficient ways to accomplish the same thing, the annoying side effects that attunements cause upon the player base as a whole completely defeats the purpose of trying to save time and headaches by weeding out other players. Not to mention that weeding out people for those kinds of reasons puts a real sour taste in my mouth in general.

It is a crappy solution to a crappy problem designed to satisfy those with crappy attitudes.

I completely agree with you, but it sounds like this isn't gonna be the game for us if we have that attitude. Even this thread shows that so far.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

I completely agree with you, but it sounds like this isn't gonna be the game for us if we have that attitude. Even this thread shows that so far.

I know. I'll let it go because even just after a few posts it is already starting to feel like thread making GBS threads on my part. In the end, what I really want is for more MMOs to have the guts and financial backing to try to break away from the old rules and just try different formulas. This genre needs more risk takers.

CupBoy
Aug 7, 2002

It's a bloody cup.
I have a bunch of keys for this beta weekend. PM me if you need one.

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

Is there someone I can PM in game for a guild invite? I'm on Exile.

If there's any way to make this more enjoyable, it's probably with goons.

phourniner fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 4, 2014

MuffinMan
Oct 1, 2001

roger that sir, you're good to go.
If this thread is evident of anything, it's that goons make nothing better.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah looking for a invite too, ingame as Qtbb

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

The game that comes to my mind from Xavier's and your posts: Spore. Accessibility isn't inherently bad, but if the dilution is too strong you end up with a no learning curve, shallow game that in-turn has zero longevity (an absolute death sentence for an MMO). Finding that happy medium is tricky since gamers (and MMO players as a subset of them) span a large spectrum from hardcore simulation players to (IMO) brain-dead CoD players. Finding a happy medium that pleases most of this (skewed?, multi-peak?) not-so-bell curve is tough, especially when the most vocal tend to be at the ends.

Xavier434 posted:

The thing for me is that "moron" is with me playing video games because he/she likes playing video games and so do I. There should be nothing stopping us from playing together at that point.
Your play together may be considerably less successful/enjoyable though if you wipe repeatedly on content designed for the average player while you have the "moron" outlier who decided to equip himself as gimped as possible for his role. So you move the barrier back one step, but at some point there's still a barrier against incompetence (to which offering more challenging versions of content while lowering the challenge of base content seems the most viable current option). Tying back to my previous point, the bar can only be lowered so far before your game becomes a drive-thru for most players instead of a lounge where they stay awhile.

This point is poised at the extreme, but it's a very tangible problem (especially for MMOs) that pulls at the market viability part of you wanting "more risk takers."

MuffinMan posted:

If this thread is evident of anything, it's that goons make nothing better.
Probably depends on what you're looking for. I'm sure the MMO Libertarians will happily get together to form a clique within a 40-man raiding guild and the MMO Communists will happily tend their houses together. A single goon guild trying to contain both: :bang:.

RiffRoff
Aug 28, 2012

Strike the earth.
I'm not sure if it's just me but it feels like the closer we get to launch the more hype is dying down. Is this actually a thing that's happening or is my own little circle of friends just for some reason not caring as much anymore? There's even rumblings among people I know after playing the Wildstar beta going "hm, why don't we reactivate our WoW toons?".

a nast
Mar 29, 2014

by Cyrano4747
the one thing i'll give wildstar credit for is the character models were designed by someone with a soul

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

RiffRoff posted:

I'm not sure if it's just me but it feels like the closer we get to launch the more hype is dying down. Is this actually a thing that's happening or is my own little circle of friends just for some reason not caring as much anymore? There's even rumblings among people I know after playing the Wildstar beta going "hm, why don't we reactivate our WoW toons?".

There's plenty of time for hype to build up, they just need to fix some poo poo and have some open beta weekends leading up to launch. The TESO shine will be worn off and Archeage will probably still be in early access alpha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

RiffRoff posted:

Prelaunch lull, happens with nearly every game. Once it gets closer to June you'll see more people talking about it.

• Locked thread