Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MMD3 posted:

okay, so I got my synology disktstation 1513+ setup for the most part. but for some reason the volume only showing up in Win8.1 under Network and not as a mounted drive.

Do I have to create a shared folder before I can mount it? I was hoping to just assign a drive letter to the whole drive so I could copy everything over via windows explorer or by setting up a file transfer app.

did I miss something really basic in configuration?

You have to map the drive. It doesn't necessarily need to point to a specific folder. Open My Computer and it should be an option along the top or in the "Tools" menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Inspector_666 posted:

You have to map the drive. It doesn't necessarily need to point to a specific folder. Open My Computer and it should be an option along the top or in the "Tools" menu.

yeah, I can browse to it in Map Networked Drive but it won't let me select the Diskstation at the top level.

I probably should have posted this in the storage thread, sorry if this is the wrong place.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

MMD3 posted:

yeah, I can browse to it in Map Networked Drive but it won't let me select the Diskstation at the top level.

I probably should have posted this in the storage thread, sorry if this is the wrong place.

Yeah, that's really more of a storage thread thing but the reason is because the root folder is not shared. I think there is a hack you can do to share it, but I just made one shared folder to map and put everything else in that.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

Anyone have experience with TP-Link routers? Looking for something that does at least wireless N and gigabit ethernet, can run OpenWRT well, has solid reliability, and isn't that expensive. I don't need the router to do anything fancy like NAS, downloads, etc. since I have a Synology device for that. Just want something with good range and reliability. Thinking about the TP-Link WDR-4300--anyone have comments on it?

I have had a 3600 (model one step down, 2 antennas) running DD-WRT for about 10 months now. My anecdotal evidence has been of pretty solid reliability.

Current uptime is 26 days 5hrs, but I think that's because I had to unplug it to install a power strip. Don't know what it was before then.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I've had issues with 2 separate USB wireless-n adapters (including an Asus one) and my Asus RT-N66U router. For everything else I use, it's awesome and reliable. It's awesome wired, awesome wireless, etc. But for my Windows 7 desktop in a room about 20 feet away from the router, I routinely drop connection and have to reset things and other hassles I just can't deal with. For the past month I've just run a Cat5 cable across my hallway, but that's getting too tacky to deal with.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ZWL4A6/?tag=pcpapi-20

Is this Intel PCI-e adapter a more reliable solution, typically?

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Bow before the might of the Clarkson!
So I bought an EdgeRouter Lite to replace an older Netgear with DD-WRT that seemed to be on it's last leg. I'm having a bit of trouble getting this thing working how I want it, however. Right now it is setup where eth0 is my WAN, and eth1-2 are my LAN and they are bridged so they share the same subnet. Everything seems to be working fine as far as just getting the internet to all of my devices, but I cannot get a Boxee Box to see SMB file shares from my main computer.

eth1 is my main computer where the file share is
eth2 is a ToughSwitch POE with the Boxee, a TiVo, PS3 and 2 UniFi AP's.

I'm thinking it is a simple thing that I'm just not getting, if you have any idea what settings it could be, please throw it out there.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I don't know if just bridging the eth1 and eth2 interfaces is enough. Don't you still need to setup NAT and firewall rules?

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

I setup a NAT masquerade rule, that was the extent of anything I did there. The firewall is setup to accept established sessions, and drop those with an invalid state. I tried disabling the LAN rules and it didn't make a difference for seeing those file shares.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My network infrastructure Kung Fu is pretty crap, but I would plug my computer into the switch and not go through the router. If there isn't enough ports, I would buy a new switch and put PoE stuff on the old one, non-PoE stuff in the new one. Hang the PoE one off the new switch.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

I agree, I'm just really lazy and don't want to go into the basement and pull cables around and stuff. I have my router and modem upstairs in case I ever need to screw around with it/see the pretty lights and then the switch is downstairs... I'm betting if I just went ahead and plugged every device directly into the switch that it would work fine. :argh:

Straithate fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 4, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Can you ping between the devices?

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I'm interested because I just finished setting up my edgerouter lite last night and it was 10 minutes of setup then 3 hours of debugging to figure out that my "no routes to host error" on eth2 wasn't working because I didn't set up the DHCP on eth0 with DNS and default routes.

So it very well is something tiny. I have been looking up how bridges work since it seems like you've done everything you should.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I assume the issue lies in routing/switching between the LAN ports, as it seems like routing/switching between the WAN port and LAN is working fine.

I've never touched Ubiquiti gear, though, so I can't even guess at any specifics.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
If I just want a rock solid router with outstanding wifi and large coverage area, is the Netgear R7000 a pretty good choice? I'm hoping to pick this up on the way home.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Airport Extreme if you don't need custom firmware and the features that come with it.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
I have a 1 Gbit ethernet plug in my room and I use a Dlink 652 router to give internet to my desktop computer and iPad. If I connect the desktop directly into the wall I measure 700 Mbit/s, but when I go trough the router I just get 70 Mbit/s. From reading about the router it's supposed to handle 1 Gbit/s. How can I improve the speed to my desktop?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Selklubber posted:

I have a 1 Gbit ethernet plug in my room and I use a Dlink 652 router to give internet to my desktop computer and iPad. If I connect the desktop directly into the wall I measure 700 Mbit/s, but when I go trough the router I just get 70 Mbit/s. From reading about the router it's supposed to handle 1 Gbit/s. How can I improve the speed to my desktop?

Is DHCP on on the 652? NAT will slow you down, but it probably shouldn't be cutting to 10%...

That's a good starting point to look at, though.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
It's on DHCP. I can set it in both manual internet setting and network setting. Manual internet setting says "internet connection type, the network setting says "enable built in DHCP server", should both be on? Some weird stuff is that download speed is 60 Mb, but upload is 170 Mb? And every time I change a setting I have to wait half an hour for it to connect again.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Selklubber posted:

Is the desktop on WiFi here? 700/70mbps to what?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Selklubber posted:

It's on DHCP. I can set it in both manual internet setting and network setting. Manual internet setting says "internet connection type, the network setting says "enable built in DHCP server", should both be on? Some weird stuff is that download speed is 60 Mb, but upload is 170 Mb? And every time I change a setting I have to wait half an hour for it to connect again.

You should turn off DHCP on the router since it sounds like you're just using it as a switch in your room.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
The desktop is connected with a cable. If I turn off DHCP what should i enable instead?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Selklubber posted:

The desktop is connected with a cable. If I turn off DHCP what should i enable instead?

Can you give us an overview of your entire network?

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
Sorry for the late reply, I had to sleep. I live in a university apartment, in my room there is a ethernet connection. I can either connect it directly to my computer or into the DLink 652 router. The router then is supposed to give internet to my desktop via lan cable and to my phone and iPad on wifi.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Selklubber posted:

Sorry for the late reply, I had to sleep. I live in a university apartment, in my room there is a ethernet connection. I can either connect it directly to my computer or into the DLink 652 router. The router then is supposed to give internet to my desktop via lan cable and to my phone and iPad on wifi.

Turn off DHCP and plug everything into the switch ports on the DLink and see if it works. University networks are very tricky because the policies on campuses change wildly. At my school, when you first connected you had to agree to a Usage Policy, and then your MAC was registered and an IP assigned. If your school just runs DHCP then you should be fine, but otherwise you may need to spoof MAC addresses and whatever else and deal with the slowness.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
Sweet, I did that and followed this: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=40856.0, now I get 800 down, 700 up on my desktop and 30 down/50 up on my iPad!

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007
So the general consensus seems to be with Ubiquitis offerings and I'm going to get an EdgeRouterLITE + UniFi (Wish I could afford the AC version but oh well).

But what suggestions do people have for using all of that with ADSL?

Gorfob fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Apr 6, 2014

nadav
Sep 6, 2005
My last name is actually something very jewish. Like Leibovitz, only longer. And more jewish.
I'm having trouble with WiFi range in a 1000 sq ft apartment. I picked up an ASUS RT-N66R yesterday (apparently the identical retail version of the N66U) to replace the crap Time Warner gave us. Getting 30 Mbps down in the living room, but nothing in my room 4 walls away. Moving the router to the hallway was better (3 whole megabits!) but would require running power and ethernet thorugh the kitchen and living room. Any suggestions?

kompukarl
Sep 20, 2013

nadav posted:

I'm having trouble with WiFi range in a 1000 sq ft apartment. I picked up an ASUS RT-N66R yesterday (apparently the identical retail version of the N66U) to replace the crap Time Warner gave us. Getting 30 Mbps down in the living room, but nothing in my room 4 walls away. Moving the router to the hallway was better (3 whole megabits!) but would require running power and ethernet thorugh the kitchen and living room. Any suggestions?

Have you checked how many other networks are in your area. It is possible that (since you are in an apartment) there are many causing interference. You may want to switch channels to avoid some of the more occupied frequencies.

Are you using 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz channel. It is likely that 2.4Ghz is much more crowded in an apartment environment and using 5Ghz you may seen an improvement (assuming your devices support 5Ghz).

nadav
Sep 6, 2005
My last name is actually something very jewish. Like Leibovitz, only longer. And more jewish.
I'm in Manhattan so there are 20-30 networks around. I installed asuswrt-merlin firmware and changed the channel and it's working better now. Still a fraction of the full speed, but manageable. I have to use 2.4GHz unfortunately since I don't get reception in here with the 5Ghz.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
I need a router that can maintain a 50Mb/s openvpn tunnel. I have an ERL3 but it maxes at 15Mb/s while maxing a single core (openvpn is single threaded). Do I have any options besides building a pfsense box?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
The title of this thread is really appropriate since I've been experiencing the "magic" first hand the last couple days. "Magic" being endless frustration and randomness and "experiencing" being barely able to contain my rage.

So I've got some experience with home networking, I'm not an expert by any means but I can pull up a command prompt and type ipconfig so I know more than most. But today I got pretty confused since I'd get a stable connection from my modem for 10 minutes, then a minute of being disconnected, then stable again. Thing is, the physical line sync is up, and the disconnects seem purely random. I've got a modem/router in my kitchen and a router in my room connected via WDS (I wish I'd just bought a wireless switch instead) and that seems to be the problem area.

So today I thought I'd finally post for help when I changed some settings locally on my computer (setting static IP instead of automatically obtain) and that caused my modem/router to suddenly get no response from the ISP server. 10 minutes later, after wanting to pull my hair out and yelling "how the gently caress does that even happen! networking sucks!" I saw that the modem/router had the DNS server set to automatically obtain. I set it to my ISP's DNS server and it seemed to fix it.

So I guess my question is: what the gently caress is up with the DNS server problems and poo poo on my network? Any device set to automatically obtain on the network sets the DNS server to my modem/router's ip address and my router in my room has DHCP disabled to avoid any automatic IP address setting confusion. So I guess if my modem/router is confused about what DNS server to connect to, then those devices are poo poo outta luck.

But I really have no idea, most of the time when confusing problems like this happen it's like an episode of House, just changing settings I'm familiar with until one of them works. There's a whole lotta trial and error.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
Just a side note. I ended up getting the R7000 Netgear instead of the Airport Extreme and so far am incredibly pleased with it. Easy setup, reasonable UI, just completely crushing my expectations of range and wifi ping times.

The frustrating thing is I bought a lower end router last year for $100 which was crap, had terrible range and had to be restarted every other day to given even a modicum of service. I should have just spent the extra dollars initially rather than have a horrible experience with consumer level routers.

The main difference for me was this router was a bit cheaper than the Airport Extreme, I didn't see the Airport Extreme when I was looking for routers [at the store], and the idea of maybe having a USB3 drive someday connected directly to the router seems like a pretty good reason to go with the Netgear one.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

uG posted:

I need a router that can maintain a 50Mb/s openvpn tunnel. I have an ERL3 but it maxes at 15Mb/s while maxing a single core (openvpn is single threaded). Do I have any options besides building a pfsense box?

Someone posted this in a thread about the ERL3 on SmallNetBuilder. Can you try IPsec?

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=100964&postcount=63 posted:

All 4 models of EdgeMAX have VPN (ipsec, openvpn, pptp, l2tp). Of those ipsec is the fastest since there is hw offload support for that.

Naffer fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 8, 2014

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
I know IPSec will be faster but I need to use openvpn, so I don't think the edge routers are going to cut it.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
If there's hardware support for ipsec that might mean hardware support for AES (or 3DES). Are you using those ciphers for openvpn?

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
The hardware acceleration only works for IPSec apparently, but it does use AES. I could load balance between 2 openvpn tunnels to use the other CPU core but that still won't get me to 50Mb/s

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

uG posted:

Unfortunately you're probably going to need an x86-based router for this kind of throughput. Embedded solutions without hardware offload aren't going to cut it. Even if you do find a platform with crypto offload (e.g. VIA Padlock) you'll still hit a CPU bottleneck since OpenVPN runs in userspace. You can benchmark to find the upper throughput limit on a particular platform by disabling encryption in OpenVPN.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm having the most annoying loving problems with my wireless speed/latency on a new RT-N56U. I can be on my phone (Nexus 5), on 5Ghz, literally sitting 1 meter from the router, and it there is a multiple second delay to respond to any networking action (ie. refreshing Facebook, navigating to a website, etc). Mobile speedtest results are fine, but there is the same delay in starting the tests that is somehow not recorded in the ping part of the speed test (still <50ms).

Wired is totally fine, but this wireless delay will happen on any device. I live in a pretty dense apartment building so I know the 2.4Ghz spectrum is jammed full, but this shouldn't be a problem on 5Ghz.

I'm on the most up-to-date stock firmware.

Has anyone else had a problem with this router model before?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Hi. I know nothing and got one of the linksys routers mentioned here but I'm not sure which. Is there a way I can set it up to prioritize traffic from my cell phone over traffic from my PC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm having the most annoying loving problems with my wireless speed/latency on a new RT-N56U. I can be on my phone (Nexus 5), on 5Ghz, literally sitting 1 meter from the router, and it there is a multiple second delay to respond to any networking action (ie. refreshing Facebook, navigating to a website, etc). Mobile speedtest results are fine, but there is the same delay in starting the tests that is somehow not recorded in the ping part of the speed test (still <50ms).

Wired is totally fine, but this wireless delay will happen on any device. I live in a pretty dense apartment building so I know the 2.4Ghz spectrum is jammed full, but this shouldn't be a problem on 5Ghz.

I'm on the most up-to-date stock firmware.

Has anyone else had a problem with this router model before?

This is a shot in the dark, but could it be a DNS problem? If your DNS server is responding really slowly that could cause some of those symptoms. Maybe try configuring Google DNS? https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/