Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Occasional memory loss is the price Araki has to pay for his eternal youth.

"I renounce my continuity, JoJo!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Housh posted:

I just watched the first episode and have never read the manga. I'm a little confused and I think I missed something: Didn't Erina and baby Lisa Lisa survive the boat explosion by hiding in Dio's coffin? Where did Dio find this other coffin to hide in with Johnathan's body? Wtf? If this is something we find out later then I will just wait. The animation quality is noticeably way better this season. I am so pumped for episode 2.

The whole coffin thing was actually explained in Jorge Joestar, one of the 25th anniversary tie-in novels. The chapter in question is available in English here (no spoilers in the chapter itself, but don't go poking around the site) and the short version is that there's only one coffin, Dio held on to it as the ship exploded and was blown away from the blast with it, though he was badly injured in the process. Dio and Erina then spent a couple of VERY unpleasant days drifting on the sea together, until a ship picked them up. Erina sealed Dio (who at that point was too weak to resist) in the coffin and had it weighed down instead of just killing him because she still held on to hope that Jonathan could someday be brought back as long as the body remained "alive".

The anime version also changed the narration when the coffin is discovered to mention a second compartment (at least, neither of the manga translations I have at hand mention it), which AFAIK is something that Jorge Joestar made up, so I'm pretty sure that the book is officially canon now.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
So everything after Part II is actually Erina's fault.

Doc V posted:

The anime version also changed the narration when the coffin is discovered to mention a second compartment (at least, neither of the manga translations I have at hand mention it), which AFAIK is something that Jorge Joestar made up, so I'm pretty sure that the book is officially canon now.

Something being in the anime adaption doesn't usually make it canon.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

That sounds like a pretty silly way to justify it!

Personally I don't even mind that it's a pretty blantant retcon because hey, Dio is a cool villain and it's great that he gets more screentime.

e: Well, it makes it canon for the anime. But arguing what is and isn't canon is dull as heck anyways. Enjoy the story by its own merits and not how it connections to canon, I say.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

WickedHate posted:

Something being in the anime adaption doesn't usually make it canon.

Fine, "Official Anime Canon" if you want to be pedantic.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean at the end of the day it's no big deal and it's not like anyone's going to be less excited about Dio because he summoned up a shiny new coffin. It's just that this is sort of a recurring trend you will see with Araki where he will just up and change something for no real reason.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013

Doc V posted:

so I'm pretty sure that the book is officially canon now.

Isn't Jorge Joestar the novel where Cars uses killer queen to blast himself through time and there are 36 Cars hanging out on mars?(Part 4 character name spoilers)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Heck, in part 6 a chatacter changes gender inexplicably!

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

dudermcbrohan posted:

Isn't Jorge Joestar the novel where Cars uses killer queen to blast himself through time and there are 36 Cars hanging out on mars?(Part 4 character name spoilers)

I don't know, is it? The only thing that's been translated is that one chapter.

Potsticker posted:

Heck, in part 6 a chatacter changes gender inexplicably!

That one actually wasn't Araki's fault, his editor forced him to make the change because turns out that you aren't allowed put the main character in a gay relationship in a Shounen Jump manga!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Doc V posted:

That one actually wasn't Araki's fault, his editor forced him to make the change because turns out that you aren't allowed put the main character in a gay relationship in a Shounen Jump manga!

I hadn't heard that before. Was that from an interview?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Doc V posted:

I don't know, is it? The only thing that's been translated is that one chapter.

Is that actually true though? I can totally believe it but I had always heard that he simply didn't plan on making Joylne gay, and thus when he came up with the whole idea for Weather Report's story he changed them to be a man. I've never seen a source whenever it comes up either way though.

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Oh Professor, you'll bury us all!
It doesn't surprise me that they'd want to stick as close to Araki's art as possible for this one, but I was caught off guard by quite how much the style has changed compared to the previous season.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I like to think that Dio had an extra coffin for Wang Chung, because what good is an evil overlord without a minion to boss around?

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

I miss Wang Chung. :smith:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

I apologize for reposting dumb tumblr pics but this was just too funny to me.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I hope Joseph didn't lose the ability to use the ripple for good. If they want to move to a new magic system, that's fine, but retconning characters who could use the old system into being able to use the new system but not the old is weird. But I'm guessing he won't be able to for some inexplicable reason. I feel like Jotaro being awesome at stands while Joseph using the ripple that Jotaro can't would be a good way to deal with having the protagonist from a prior season in the show but no longer the protagonist. They could both be awesome, but in different ways.

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010
Well, didn't Joseph say something about Stand usage having something or another to do with breathing?

Perhaps Stands are to the Ripple as Super Saiyan 2 is to normal Super Saiyan? Same power, just a tier up.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

You could see a bit of Ripple power when Joseph was using his stand!

e: stand names are spoilers sort of i guess?

Aurora fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 5, 2014

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Yes! This show is finally back. It's been a long loving wait.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
I just noticed that Joseph never actually said his stand's name while explaining it. Weird.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImperialGuard posted:

Well, didn't Joseph say something about Stand usage having something or another to do with breathing?

He says it has to do with your life force and energy, not breathing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Orgia Carnaval posted:

No, he definitely mentioned breathing. Jotaro's Stand (which I think they also haven't named yet in the show) got weaker when he couldn't breathe due to the heat from Magician's Red.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Yeah they do mention breathing around the 14:25 mark.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

No, he definitely mentioned breathing. Jotaro's Stand (which I think they also haven't named yet in the show) got weaker when he couldn't breathe due to the heat from Magician's Red.

That's because you die when you can't breathe. Which directly affects your life force. Similar to the Ripple, really.

Seeing as how the anime is, well, animated, one thing that isn't shown is that when Joseph first says Stand in Furigana, the Kanji is "Ghostly Ripple". So, you know, Stands are basically a ripple of the soul. Which goes along with what Avdol said about Stands being psychic powers / manifestations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Jotaro was just getting really warm and light-headed there. Consciousness is pretty integral to power use.

e: removed stuff that might have been spoilery or at least tempting people to say spoilers

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 5, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, that line is being taken too seriously. Jotaro literally had fire prohibiting him from breathing which was killing him, it's kinda natural something tied to your life would start losing power as you die. I mean Star Platinum choked out Magician's Red and Avdol received the damage as a result, I think it's pretty obvious whatever happens to your stand happens to you and vice versa.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That interview from 2 (or was it 3?) pages back made me feel super dorky because it reminded me back in 2001 when I was on tour and I got to meet Ian MacKaye. It was really weird because he was super down-to-earth and I was fanboying like no tomorrow (it also helps that I was like 17 at the time) and I get that she's a entertainer / interviewer but it just looked too drat silly. Like, no matter how hard you try to play it cool or how much you try to put on a show: This dude created the stuff that made your mind go places and, even for a few moments, you go back to being that 10-11 year old and dang. :swoon:

On to Episode 1: While I know that subtlety is not necessary the name of the game for this show, I really liked how Joseph's VA really drove the point home that he felt slightly insulted being called (watched the Japanese broadcast; I'll watch the CR subs later) "Old Fart / Geezer / Gramps" by Jotaro. You're no spring chicken anymore, Joseph. :allears:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Shugojin posted:

I wanna say that Stands and Ripple are wholly unrelated but it's been so long since I've read Stardust Crusaders and Araki changed up how you get a Stand several times so he could have a new story that they might actually be related, I don't know.

Breathing is specifically integral to the Ripple, there's a sequence in the first season where Zeppeli explains it. As for the other part of this argument, I don't want to talk about the mechanics of Stands when they've only just been introduced to the show.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
If Stands were an extension of the Ripple, Tonpetty sure wasn't much of a master.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 5, 2014

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Breathing is specifically integral to the Ripple, there's a sequence in the first season where Zeppeli explains it. As for the other part of this argument, I don't want to talk about the mechanics of Stands when they've only just been introduced to the show.

Yeah you're right, we should probably drop this since it could easily go into serious spoiler territory. I'm gonna edit that out so if you and others could also that would be great.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The colors of this show are too good.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Being splashed with toilet water has never looked more fabulous.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

It accurately portrays Araki's ongoing love affair with the colors green and purple.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Orgia Carnaval posted:

The colors of this show are too good.

This made me go back and check and one of Jotaro's belts is the same color and pattern as Caesar's bandana. :aaa:

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Zorak posted:

That's because you die when you can't breathe. Which directly affects your life force. Similar to the Ripple, really.

Seeing as how the anime is, well, animated, one thing that isn't shown is that when Joseph first says Stand in Furigana, the Kanji is "Ghostly Ripple". So, you know, Stands are basically a ripple of the soul. Which goes along with what Avdol said about Stands being psychic powers / manifestations.
There are stands that work when the user is dead. I think any connection there is Araki trying to bridge the gap between series than something that should be placed in the annals of canon, since Araki is known for half-assing things; adding them in and later forgetting them.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

This is an appropriately crazy first episode and really gets how Part 3 was when JJBA started getting into its own groove.

Shakugan posted:

I hope Joseph didn't lose the ability to use the ripple for good. If they want to move to a new magic system, that's fine, but retconning characters who could use the old system into being able to use the new system but not the old is weird. But I'm guessing he won't be able to for some inexplicable reason. I feel like Jotaro being awesome at stands while Joseph using the ripple that Jotaro can't would be a good way to deal with having the protagonist from a prior season in the show but no longer the protagonist. They could both be awesome, but in different ways.

I can't remember exactly how much spoilers this is, but why am i even bothering to answer a question to something that will be revealed as the show goes on, gee

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Relin posted:

There are stands that work when the user is dead. I think any connection there is Araki trying to bridge the gap between series than something that should be placed in the annals of canon, since Araki is known for half-assing things; adding them in and later forgetting them.

The rules get changed as time goes on, yeah. Stands are all about exceptions to the rules as well. They're psychic manifestations and weird and that's it.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Well, yeah. They're super powers in a comic book. They're powered by narrative convenience.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Shakugan posted:

Minor spoilers about Joseph:
He can still use the ripple but hasn't practiced it for like 50 years due to being a lazy gently caress and hating hard work so he's nowhere near as good at it. Plus, as far as they knew there was no more need for it since the pillarmen were destroyed. The ripple is still there but don't expect to see it more than a few times.

I like the unique effects everyone has for their stands in this adaptation. The sparkles for Star Platinum and Hermit Purple's ripple-like effect especially.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Apr 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Clearly, what we need is a new Ultimates JJBA to sort all these inconsistencies out.

• Locked thread