Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

the posted:

Also for installing alongside Windows 8, I literally have to do this to access Ubuntu:

1. Load Advanced Startup Manager
2. Boot into UEFI/BIOS
3. Change Ubuntu to first startup option
4. Restart computer

And I have to reverse the process to get back to Windows 8. A bit annoying.

You should add Ubuntu to the Windows Bootmanager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I just installed Fedora 20, and while I really like it, the gnome devs decided to remove transparency from the terminal.

What the gently caress gnome devs. :negative:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

I just installed Fedora 20, and while I really like it, the gnome devs decided to remove transparency from the terminal.

It's actually a super complicated problem and flat out removing terminal transparency has fixed a ton of bugs. With something like Wayland full-time, we'll be able to add it back.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Ninja Rope posted:

Speaking of, what's the Linux alternative to secure boot (ie signed UEFI/bootloader/kernel/extensions) and how well does it work in RHEL?

There's also hashtool for distros that don't sign their binaries directly with Intel or whoever. Arch's installer uses it.

ratbert90 posted:

Not even urxvt-style pseudo transparency, i.e. set a background image and blur/darken it? Always looked better imo, and if you using a tiling wm, doesn't look any different than regular transparency most of the time.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

It's actually a super complicated problem and flat out removing terminal transparency has fixed a ton of bugs. With something like Wayland full-time, we'll be able to add it back.

Don't you give me a rational explanation! I liked my transparency. :colbert:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
There's a few more terminal emulators based on VTE out there that retained transparency. I believe people like Terminator now?

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I am bored and thinking of moving my Fedora 20 system to btrfs as the main filesystem. Is this a bad idea or a really bad idea?

Edit: I am thinking an ext4 /boot partition and one main btrfs partition with a separate volume for / and /home.

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 4, 2014

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

waffle iron posted:

I am bored and thinking of moving my Fedora 20 system to btrfs as the main filesystem. Is this a bad idea or a really bad idea?

It's a better idea. :v:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Really bad idea. btrfs is garbage and falls over spectacularly whenever a single speck of dust lightly touches your keyboard.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
ZFS on Linux works pretty well now, right? It might be a pain to use it on root/upgrade kernels and recompile (so maybe not great on Fedora), but I didn't have much issue with it other than not knowing ZFS well.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Suspicious Dish posted:

There's a few more terminal emulators based on VTE out there that retained transparency. I believe people like Terminator now?

I really liked Terminator myself, but lately I have found just basic Konsole is really doing well. I like the way it handles both tabs and splits screens(tabs are replicated on each split so you can switch each portion of the screen).

Terminator is really nice, but it has a habit of crashing when I am moving subwindows inside it that annoys me when I am working.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

scroogle nmaps posted:

ZFS on Linux works pretty well now, right? It might be a pain to use it on root/upgrade kernels and recompile (so maybe not great on Fedora), but I didn't have much issue with it other than not knowing ZFS well.

I don't know, I'd still prefer to run FreeBSD for ZFS.

quote:

Really bad idea. btrfs is garbage and falls over spectacularly whenever a single speck of dust lightly touches your keyboard.

And that's the reason Red Hat puts a lot effort into XFS and will make it the default in RHEL7.
There's some wonderful talks by Dave Chinner about the history of XFS and improvements to it on Youtube.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

What is the problem with ext4?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

RFC2324 posted:

What is the problem with ext4?

Among other things 16 TB+ partitions are a bit of a dice roll. Oh, and despite them calling it "stable" there's still plenty of development work on it, based on commits.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Riso posted:

Among other things 16 TB+ partitions are a bit of a dice roll. Oh, and despite them calling it "stable" there's still plenty of development work on it, based on commits.

All the major filesystems on linux have development work continuing on them, moving to xfs won't save you from that.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I hear ReiserFS has been fairly stable for the last couple of years. :v:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Riso posted:

Please, show me what casual or normal user has a single 16TB+ partition.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Please, show me what casual or normal user has a single 16TB+ partition.

Please, show me what casual or normal user has a need for ZFS or BTRFS.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Riso posted:

Please, show me what casual or normal user has a need for ZFS or BTRFS.

Time Machine

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Which is... Not available on Linux?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

scroogle nmaps posted:

Which is... Not available on Linux?

No, its available on an operating system for casual and normal users. (It doesn't use ZFS there anymore, though, and Apple isn't saying why.)

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

pseudorandom name posted:

No, its available on an operating system for casual and normal users. (It doesn't use ZFS there anymore, though, and Apple isn't saying why.)

Time machine has never used ZFS. ZFS has never been officially supported by apple.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Oh, I confused Apple's ZFS experimentation with Sun's clone of Time Machine (called Time Slider, very creative) that did just use ZFS snapshots.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Oh, I confused Apple's ZFS experimentation with Sun's clone of Time Machine (called Time Slider, very creative) that did just use ZFS snapshots.

ZFS was never rw on osx. Time Machine has always used a horrific mess of hardlinks, if you're curious.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

evol262 posted:

ZFS was never rw on osx. Time Machine has always used a horrific mess of hardlinks, if you're curious.

Hey! It's called journaled HFS+. :colbert:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I disconnected my windows drive because I felt like it was giving me issues during start up (different harddrive, using GPT. windows is on a seperate hdd using mbr and not using secureboot.) but only the sata cable.

Is linux not hotswap friendly? My windows install doesn't have this issue iirc.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

You left out the issue you experienced.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

You left out the issue you experienced.

The issue is the hard drive doesn't show up in the list of drives.

Also, trying to figure out how to enable the middle mouse button. In that I mean, clicking it to scroll around the screen.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Riso posted:

Hey! It's called journaled HFS+. :colbert:
I'm not opposed to HFS+ (though I dislike large parts of the OSX developer ecosystem), but Time Machine is pretty hacky. Go find a sparsebundle and count the recursive rats nest of hardlinks it uses to track it and keep space down.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The issue is the hard drive doesn't show up in the list of drives.

Also, trying to figure out how to enable the middle mouse button. In that I mean, clicking it to scroll around the screen.
You may just have to mount your Windows drive. What desktop environment?

Similar question on the middle clicking. It pastes in X, generally. Do you mean just Firefox? Or Chromium? Or the desktop itself?

It's a different operating system. Some things are not gonna be the same. Everything you want to do is supported, but implementation details vary wildly, it may not be enabled by default, and it may be considered bad practice.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

evol262 posted:

It's a different operating system. Some things are not gonna be the same. Everything you want to do is supported, but implementation details vary wildly, it may not be enabled by default, and it may be considered bad practice.

The desktop itself. Having middle mouse be paste sounds rather inconvenient actually.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Either I'm staring right at the answer or Linux audio is even worse than people have always said. I have a .wav file. I need a utility to loop it endlessly and gaplessly until killed. This is apparently not possible with aplay, mpv, mplayer or any other program I've tried even with FIFO magic and other hacks.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The desktop itself. Having middle mouse be paste sounds rather inconvenient actually.

It might be different than you're used to, but it's a holdover from X11 and as such a part of how mice work in linux. Some things are just gonna be a bit different and you can tweak them but you're gonna need to be a hell of a lot more descriptive of your issues. :)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Don't rely on it too much. Wayland is going to kill the concept of two independent clipboards.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

xtal posted:

Either I'm staring right at the answer or Linux audio is even worse than people have always said. I have a .wav file. I need a utility to loop it endlessly and gaplessly until killed. This is apparently not possible with aplay, mpv, mplayer or any other program I've tried even with FIFO magic and other hacks.

mplayer -loop 0 $file

Or does it not play properly gaplessly?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

kujeger posted:

mplayer -loop 0 $file

Or does it not play properly gaplessly?

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I've tried that already (with both mpv and mplayer.) It isn't gapless: it reloads the stream each period. If fact, it's such a poorly-developed feature that it reinterpets your argv when it loops, breaking named pipes. Maybe it execs itself or something.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

xtal posted:

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I've tried that already (with both mpv and mplayer.) It isn't gapless: it reloads the stream each period. If fact, it's such a poorly-developed feature that it reinterpets your argv when it loops, breaking named pipes. Maybe it execs itself or something.

Ah. I did a little testing on a couple of files, and
mpv --loop=inf --gapless-audio
seems to do the trick. I'm by no means an audio-head though, so it's certainly possible mpv's gapless is not good enough (and as you say, you have tried mpv).

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm trying to figure out why Chromium doesn't load youtubes half the time, but firefox doesn't have an issue.

Installing that windows emulation of flash just crashes half the time.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

xtal posted:

Do you have ffmpeg installed? 'ffplay -loop 0' seems to work better than mplayer.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm trying to figure out why Chromium doesn't load youtubes half the time, but firefox doesn't have an issue.

Installing that windows emulation of flash just crashes half the time.

This is impossible to know without knowing whether you're trying to use HTML5 YouTube. Chromium or actual chrome? Chrome bundles flash. Chromium just dropped support for Netscape plugins (what adobe's flash is, and what Firefox uses). Official chrome should work. Or enabling "pepper flash". Or maybe chromium-ffmpeg.

But you're gonna have to be a lot more descriptive. I don't want to guess "is the page not loading? Video not loading? Starts to play and immediately stops (this happens if permissions in /dev are wrong)? An error message from YouTube?" Please describe what is actually happening in as much detail as you can, otherwise it's hard to help.

This isn't a formal tracking system, but these guidelines help us help you:

Fedora posted:

Summary: Fill in a short, one sentence description of the problem. For example, "Saving file in .tiff format causes program to exit."
Details: This is your long version of the issue. Be as specific as possible. Make sure to give a rational, complete depiction of the problem; saying "The print button is broken" does not describe the problem enough.
Reproducibility: This is a very important field. Does this happen every time you follow some procedure? Does it only happen on Tuesdays? Was it only once?
Steps to Reproduce: As discussed earlier, provide the steps you followed to reach the bug. If the problem cannot be reproduced, say so in "Reproducibility" and give the steps to the best of your memory.
Actual Results: What happened when you reached the bug?
Expected Results: What do you think was supposed to happen?
Additional Information: If there's anything else you feel the developer need to know, you can put it here. This might be an error message from console output, or it might be the model of your camera that was connected when the bug occurred.
What distro are you running? If you installed a desktop environment other than the one it came with, which one?

Why are you trying to emulate flash? It runs natively (sort of badly, admittedly, but that's because flash is bad in general). Adobe publishes packages themselves.

evol262 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

evol262 posted:

Why are you trying to emulate flash? It runs natively (sort of badly, admittedly, but that's because flash is bad in general). Adobe publishes packages themselves.

Well simply, I'm on Elementary OS and some videos work right off the bat on Chromium, and others do not. By that I mean they seem like they'll work then Youtube goes "encountered an error, click more yada yada"

Which does not make sense to me.

So, I google for a fix and I tried the fix that involves emulating windows flash, which now I've forgotten whatever it was called, but I also used it to get silverlight running so I can run netflix.

I've also learned via googling that enabling middle mouse scroll outside of browsers is a crapshoot, which disappoints me.