Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Gianthogweed posted:

Did anyone get a screenshot of the spoiler avatars that guy spent 200 bucks on from last year? I can't remember what they said.

ROBB DIES TONIGHT

ROBB AND CATELYN DIE AT THE RED WEDDING TONIGHT.

Not very inspired stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
If TVIV didn't throw a huge conniption fit whenever that happens it would happen less often. Closing the episode thread was kinda stupid, it should just have the "turn off avatars" warning in the thread title and everyone proceeds at his own risk.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PootieTang posted:

Maybe books aren't for you.

Have you tried video games? Those have blinky lights to keep you occupied so you don't get bored.

Not liking a feast for crows just means you have a functioning sense of judgment.

Edit: well, I read affc but you and I and we all know it was a huge letdown especially if you were a reader in like 2000.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I think you need to reread it as ball of beasts. Consider it the first book in the second trilogy. ASOS was the climax of the first. It may also help if you skip the iron islands and mereen plot lines.

Every chapter with Wyman Manderly in it is pure gold.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

PootieTang posted:

Maybe books aren't for you.

Have you tried video games? Those have blinky lights to keep you occupied so you don't get bored.

I both agree with the basic sentiment and want to kick you in the tits for that follow up burn.

AStrangeDuelist
Nov 27, 2013

Collateral posted:

I think you need to reread it as ball of beasts. Consider it the first book in the second trilogy. ASOS was the climax of the first. It may also help if you skip the iron islands and mereen plot lines.

Every chapter with Wyman Manderly in it is pure gold.

The problem I have with that is that we shouldn't have to skip plotlines or read it a different way from how it was published to enjoy it.

Agree with you about Wyman Manderly though.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Publishing is a business. Concessions have to be made. If those concessions can be undone so simply there isn't much merit in clinging to their sanctity.

I still can't believe that Only Kit Kat is going to be this season. In my mind that's basically the end of the story as it stands. God the timeline in the last two books gets so utterly hosed.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

fleshweasel posted:

Not liking a feast for crows just means you have a functioning sense of judgment.

Edit: well, I read affc but you and I and we all know it was a huge letdown especially if you were a reader in like 2000.

So how's Winds of Winter, since you're apparently able to read books 6 years before they came out.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
A Feast For Crows is my favourite of the five books so far, what is wrong with you people!? How dare you have different tastes from me!? :colbert:

But seriously, I think it's a good book that gets a bad rap because it wasn't what people expected/wanted.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

computer parts posted:

So how's Winds of Winter, since you're apparently able to read books 6 years before they came out.

He means if you read Storm in 2000 and had to waits the 6 years for AFFC.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Scapegoat posted:

He means if you read Storm in 2000 and had to waits the 6 years for AFFC.

Which is an even stupider complaint because the vast majority of people did not have that experience.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Y'all should have been like me and read books 1-3 in 2001, forgot they existed until the show came out, then read 1-5 in 2011 :smuggo:

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Blastedhellscape posted:

“Who the gently caress is this guy wandering around in Dorne all of a sudden and why should I care about him?”

Arys "The Camera that Rides" Oakheart wont have to be the center of attention and narrative like he was in the books, with them introducing the Martells this season I'd expect them to show a little of Sunspear/Dorne.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I'm not saying that Arys Oakheart will be included as a major character but saying that he's just a passive POV character (like people often say about Areo Hotah) is really off the mark, he has an interesting, if short lived, story and a unique perspective.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Y'all should have been like me and read books 1-3 in 2001, forgot they existed until the show came out, then read 1-5 in 2011 :smuggo:

Hopefully you'll be able to forget again until 2035.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Mortabis posted:

If TVIV didn't throw a huge conniption fit whenever that happens it would happen less often. Closing the episode thread was kinda stupid, it should just have the "turn off avatars" warning in the thread title and everyone proceeds at his own risk.

It's more the self-righteousness of those conniption fits set in a thread, reigned by a tyrannical crazed subset of posters who demanded martial thread law and book readers be burned alive because they did not have enough self-control not to hover over some black bars.

Edit: I'm not saying that there weren't those who went out of their way to cause trouble, but they definitely were in the minority and perhaps only grew in numbers once tunnel vision set in for that thread.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Yeah and i was going to raves before it was cool and mainstream(pre-dubstep) with my 40 inch bottom raver pants :smuggo:

Seriously though people it's entertainment you wouldn't have had if he didn't write the books. I want another Storm Of Swords as much as the next guy and cutting out the battle of Merreen was stupid, i also want to read how the story ends but just try to think happy thoughts. You wouldn't be reading this post if the books didn't entertain you. At least i wouldn't. I actually think he might finish the books before HBO...oh god it's not going to happen is it?

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004
What interests me now is what the next two seasons are going to be like. Dance and Feast are quite lacking for some characters plot wise so while Arya will easily fill two seasons of her bad rear end assassin training (and the writers can add stories quite easily), Dany, Jon and Bran will be stretching their plots out of doing very little.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I bet there's a strong inverse correlation between how much someone likes AFFC /ADWD and how much they like, say, the Transformers movies

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Scapegoat posted:

What interests me now is what the next two seasons are going to be like. Dance and Feast are quite lacking for some characters plot wise so while Arya will easily fill two seasons of her bad rear end assassin training (and the writers can add stories quite easily), Dany, Jon and Bran will be stretching their plots out of doing very little.

There's not enough story! There's too much story! I think the lack of major have to show poo poo will be a good thing for the show. The best scenes are when the show has time to slow the gently caress down and not have every scene advance the plot or have action. Exposition! Action! Exposition! just get's boring.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

To bring back GRRM is the yellow king chat, I noticed a little town at the southern tip of the hidden sea...

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

I can never not read that as 'rear end-hai'.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

ruddiger posted:

To bring back GRRM is the yellow king chat, I noticed a little town at the southern tip of the hidden sea...

As amusing as that is, I'm assuming GRRM pulled the same inspiration as True Detective did for that name.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
Was there any casting news on Val, or Mance's wife? I thought that they didn't have Robb naming Jon his heir, so that when Stannis gives him the opportunity it would have more weight. I guess Val isn't really necessary for this but still. Then Mance's wife leads to Mance's kid which is the whole point of Gilly basically.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Third edition:

Alright, I think I'm done with this for now, until the end of Episode 2 at least. I'll probably post it in the Unsullied thread close to air time so they don't spend a day reading into things and looking for reasons to get mad. #4 stays as Robert because I think it looks better, but I've also made a version with Cersei in that slot to minimize spoilers here.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

the jizz taxi posted:

I can never not read that as 'rear end-hai'.

Twerking will save the world. "You have to bend down to reach for the stars. And work that rear end a bit Dany drat this is rear end-hai not Utah."

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

ShaqDiesel posted:

Do the books mention Marwyn's route? As in, is he sailing west or east?

Response to old post here but: He can't sail west. The world is not shaped that way, to anyone's knowledge.

sircozzie
Jul 8, 2011

Release the Meerkat

Apoplexy posted:

Response to old post here but: He can't sail west. The world is not shaped that way, to anyone's knowledge.

Isn't there supposed to be another continent far to the west of Westeros?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

sircozzie posted:

Americos?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

What could be west of Westeros? :colbert:

If there is, we probably don't know about it (someone correct me if I'm wrong :v:). If the Westeros = Europe, Essos = Asia, and Sothroyos = Africa theory is correct I suppose there might be and if there is I hope they're full on steampunk by now.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
This might be obvious but given that ASOIAF is set in perma fake-medieval times it kinda makes sense for the story never to go as far as fake-africa and fake-america.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

sircozzie posted:

There are legends and rumors to that effect but there's zero proof of anyone actually ever making it there or even claiming they did. (See: Brandon the Shipwright just disappearing, that one guy at the Kingsmoot getting laughed off for reasons beyond his being basically nobody.) Since Marwyn's going on an ordinary trader's ship, presumably he'll be taking the conventional route.

One interpretation of Quaithe's stuff holds that Dany will cross the Sunset Sea the other way and reach Westeros from the west, but that remains to be seen. She'd be the first to make that crossing in either direction, as far as anyone knows.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

The Iron Islands are on the west side of Westeros, so if there was an Americos, surely the greatest seafaring house on the continent would have found it by now?

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

My PIN is 4826 posted:

The Iron Islands are on the west side of Westeros, so if there was an Americos, surely the greatest seafaring house on the continent would have found it by now?

In the real world, IIRC Australia remained pretty much 'undiscovered' (at least by major civilizations) for a long time as well, despite actually being easier to reach than the Americas in many respects.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

I was under the impression that if you sailed west out of Oldtown/Lannisport you'd have a wide stretch of open ocean until you reached The Shadowlands of Asshai/Ulthos

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Soviet_Russia posted:

I was under the impression that if you sailed west out of Oldtown/Lannisport you'd have a wide stretch of open ocean until you reached The Shadowlands of Asshai/Ulthos

While that might be the case, it is not known by anyone to be the case, as nobody has ever returned from sailing west of Westeros.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

A multi-month journey across an endless ocean when you have no idea where you're going, how far it is to land, or even how much provision to bring with you, is incredibly dumb. Even if there is an Americos out there, you can very easily die in the middle of nowhere and only your corpse will arrive at your destination.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Apoplexy posted:

While that might be the case, it is not known by anyone to be the case, as nobody has ever returned from sailing west of Westeros.

That's because west of Westeros is the land of wine and titties where all the whores go.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Boy will they all be embarrassed when they find Westiestros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Brandon the Shipwright's descendants come back to save the North, uniting it with their New Winterfell Empire.

• Locked thread