Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I have to admit, as much as I love Frozen, Wreck-It Ralph was just so loving better. But it got so little attention compared to Frozen.

I never found anything that great about Olaf, he was the loving gargoyles from Hunchback of Notre Dame. And seriously, the real bad guys were the loving King and Queen. Lock the kid in her room, tell her she's dangerous, conceal everything, don't let her play with her sister, and above all, never let the other girl go out to loving boarding school or make friends or anything! See, when Gothel did it in Tangled, she was bad! But the king and queen here did it for love so it's okay. :D

An evil Hans song during the reveal would have been the best way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I initially thought they were going to let her live with the trolls to learn to control her power. Instead, they Harry Pottered her. It was like the second worst possible thing they could have done with their daughter short of taping her to a pike, riding into battle and using her to defeat their enemies.

Also, the "evil" Duke of Weselton was pretty much justified in what he did. You have someone with armageddon level powers and no control over them who is about to end the world. Sending a couple of bastards to put a crossbow bolt into her really isn't that unreasonable a reaction.

But he was also a creep so we're expected to hate him :shrug:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The scene with the crossbow guys was annoying in retrospect because Hans goes out of his way to stop them only to try and kill Elsa later. It feels like they only did it to delay the reveal that he's evil.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

The scene with the crossbow guys was annoying in retrospect because Hans goes out of his way to stop them only to try and kill Elsa later. It feels like they only did it to delay the reveal that he's evil.

Actually, if you rewatch that scene he actively tries to get them to shoot the chandelier above her so that it'll crash down and kill her. It only looks like he's trying to save her life if you don't know that he's evil.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Hans doesn't want anyone to know that he's evil, that's the thing. That's why he was trying to do everything in secret.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
In True Lies the art dealer lady who was working with the terrorists gives a speech towards the end about the Babylonian statues and then cringes when the terrorists tear them open to get the nukes they hid inside.

How did they get the nukes in there?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Ancient Babylonians were surprisingly advanced, okay :mad:

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

I thought it was because he still believed that Elsa could bring back the summer.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Cerony posted:

I thought it was because he still believed that Elsa could bring back the summer.

That and the fact everyone there would be witness that he tried to save the Queen, rather than kill her in cold blood. Gives him more of a Good Prince vibe. Later when he tried to kill her, it was because she was guilty of treason, not the odd 'crime' of eternal winter.

I know there's a ton to pick apart, but one thing that bothered me as a kid in Independence Day, was the fact that everyone was loving celebrating, once they had won, and.... after they had detonated a nuke at one of the alien ships. So was there no fallout, was the nuke a tiny thing, how badly hosed is that area now?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Cowslips Warren posted:

That and the fact everyone there would be witness that he tried to save the Queen, rather than kill her in cold blood. Gives him more of a Good Prince vibe. Later when he tried to kill her, it was because she was guilty of treason, not the odd 'crime' of eternal winter.

I know there's a ton to pick apart, but one thing that bothered me as a kid in Independence Day, was the fact that everyone was loving celebrating, once they had won, and.... after they had detonated a nuke at one of the alien ships. So was there no fallout, was the nuke a tiny thing, how badly hosed is that area now?

Not too bad until the spaceship lands on top of them.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Houston was the only one nuked inside the atmosphere. The mothership was nuked in orbit, and explosions don't work the same in a vacuum. It's entirely possible for the blast of the mothership to have gone parallel to Earth. The other ships that were taken down were done with conventional missiles.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Kruller posted:

Houston was the only one nuked inside the atmosphere. The mothership was nuked in orbit, and explosions don't work the same in a vacuum. It's entirely possible for the blast of the mothership to have gone parallel to Earth. The other ships that were taken down were done with conventional missiles.

Quite, the ship that was downed near Area 41 (in the back ground when they go meet smith/goldblum in the desert) was just one of the smaller ships.

Of course, those things crashing all over the planet would have hosed up a lot of places, but better than extinction eh?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Roblo posted:

Quite, the ship that was downed near Area 41 (in the back ground when they go meet smith/goldblum in the desert) was just one of the smaller ships.

Of course, those things crashing all over the planet would have hosed up a lot of places, but better than extinction eh?
Not necessarily an either/or. A 500-mile-across chunk of metal blew up just outside Earth's atmosphere. The "fireworks" at the end of the film are KT-sized chunks of space debris entering the atmosphere.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I always figured there were a few nations that would start flinging nukes once the shields were down at the end of ID. Maybe they don't have enough/any fighters left, maybe they exhausted all their missiles and don't have a guy ballsy enough to kamikaze the ship, maybe the aliens wised up and kept their mega cannon weak point closed until their own fighters swept the skies clear. So, time to nuke the sum bitches.

Also what the gently caress was the military expecting air-to-air missiles with 50lb fragmentation warheads to do to a ship that size? Cruise missiles would hardly make a dent in those things.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Splicer posted:

Not necessarily an either/or. A 500-mile-across chunk of metal blew up just outside Earth's atmosphere. The "fireworks" at the end of the film are KT-sized chunks of space debris entering the atmosphere.

If you start taking it this far, you might as well talk about the tidal forces that the mother ship would exert on the Earth.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arrath posted:

I always figured there were a few nations that would start flinging nukes once the shields were down at the end of ID. Maybe they don't have enough/any fighters left, maybe they exhausted all their missiles and don't have a guy ballsy enough to kamikaze the ship, maybe the aliens wised up and kept their mega cannon weak point closed until their own fighters swept the skies clear. So, time to nuke the sum bitches.

Also what the gently caress was the military expecting air-to-air missiles with 50lb fragmentation warheads to do to a ship that size? Cruise missiles would hardly make a dent in those things.
Speaking of which, why didn't they use cruise missiles and the like once the shields went down? It's not like the ship was going to dodge them or anything.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
This isn't specific to ID but I think it's also guilty of it -- in disaster movies when millions of people are evacuating cities, etc., and one entire side of the highway is empty. Usually you will see the heros puttering up all by themselves on that empty side (towards the disaster) while across the median there's a massive, chaotic traffic jam trying to escape it. Don't you think people would eventually say 'you know what, the hell with it, I'm going eastbound on the empty westbound side because Godzilla's coming'.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I watched Dead Man Down a few days ago and one of the things that bothered me was that Colin Ferrel's character is hungarian. Why didn't they just make him irish instead? Just change the hungarians to the IRA and the movie stays pretty much the same. Plus when his accent slips it would have added to the character a little.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Splicer posted:

Speaking of which, why didn't they use cruise missiles and the like once the shields went down? It's not like the ship was going to dodge them or anything.

Or ground based artillery. poo poo you know that Area 51 has anti-air missiles that could have helped with the fighters at least.

Better question, why did they use a nuclear missile launched from a bomber? They could have dropped a bomb with twice the yield. The only way a missile makes sense is if you do an airburst exactly at the midpoint underneath the ship. That way the shock wave and explosion are contained between the ground and the ship and does the most damage.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Nukes throw out an EMP too don't they? Maybe that was part of / the entire strategy.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Again, detonating the nuke below the ship would have done gotten them much better EMP coverage. An EMP is an expanding sphere, hitting the ship edge-on wastes most of it.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Supreme Allah posted:

This isn't specific to ID but I think it's also guilty of it -- in disaster movies when millions of people are evacuating cities, etc., and one entire side of the highway is empty. Usually you will see the heros puttering up all by themselves on that empty side (towards the disaster) while across the median there's a massive, chaotic traffic jam trying to escape it. Don't you think people would eventually say 'you know what, the hell with it, I'm going eastbound on the empty westbound side because Godzilla's coming'.

Isn't there usually a concrete barrier to prevent people from doing that?

For example:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Its not like on/offramps are have spike strips enforcing the correct direction. If you're already on the road, yeah, you're hosed.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Supreme Allah posted:

This is actually standard procedure in a planned evacuation, its called contraflow lane reversal and essentially the authorities block off the usual on-ramps and direct people to get on and drive in the opposite way up to a certain point where they are then directed off the road.

I've seen it a couple of times down in Louisiana.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Supreme Allah posted:

Yeah, but you dont see the cars of the people who DID do that, because they didnt get stuck in the gridlock. The people who go gridlocked had to abandon their cars, so they are still there. You dont see the cars of the people who got away down the "wrong" side of the road because they are presumably now wherever they were getting away to.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

From what I dimly remember fallout is primarily ground matter that's been irradiated and then sucked up the mushroom cloud hence why airbursts are cleaner. So detonating a nuke in space isn't going to be too much of a worry past the "oops it's gonna fall on my head" problem.

And maybe blinding anyone looking at it.

FightingMongoose
Oct 19, 2006
I haven't seen Independence Day in years, but if you blew up something in orbit most of the resulting debris would just stay in orbit.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I really hope that the ID sequels don't end up being a re-hash of the first, with the aliens just returning and everyone going to war all over again with military equipment and brass balls. They supposedly will take place 20 years after the original. And in a real scenario like that the entire planet would be irrevocably changed in just two decades, both culturally and physically. The fallout from the initial battle would have devastated the planet, what with dozens of city-size ships crashing all over the world and extinction-event sized debris from the Mothership raining down. Plus there would be advanced alien technology just laying around literally everywhere. People would use that stuff to rebuild and leap ahead a few thousand years technologically.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'll be irritated if the movies have jets versus aliens spacecraft again rather than human/alien jet hybrids and other re-purposed alien tech that we're still learning how to control.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Esroc posted:

I really hope that the ID sequels don't end up being a re-hash of the first, with the aliens just returning and everyone going to war all over again with military equipment and brass balls. They supposedly will take place 20 years after the original. And in a real scenario like that the entire planet would be irrevocably changed in just two decades, both culturally and physically. The fallout from the initial battle would have devastated the planet, what with dozens of city-size ships crashing all over the world and extinction-event sized debris from the Mothership raining down. Plus there would be advanced alien technology just laying around literally everywhere. People would use that stuff to rebuild and leap ahead a few thousand years technologically.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'll be irritated if the movies have jets versus aliens spacecraft again rather than human/alien jet hybrids and other re-purposed alien tech that we're still learning how to control.

Ideally they'd have it so humans are in crazy engineered bio-armor that fires plasma bursts out of the arms, and the aliens come in with a huge fleet like "we gonna gently caress you up" and we're all like "we killed you with a laptop last time, check this poo poo out" and it's 2 hours of aliens getting exploded. Basically Pacific Rim on a smaller scale.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

FightingMongoose posted:

I haven't seen Independence Day in years, but if you blew up something in orbit most of the resulting debris would just stay in orbit.
The same phenomenon has been observed in Las Vegas.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Armacham posted:

If you start taking it this far, you might as well talk about the tidal forces that the mother ship would exert on the Earth.

The end of the Fifth Element always bugged me for the same reason. Isn't having a second moon going to absolutely wreck havok with the tides on earth?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The end of the Fifth Element always bugged me for the same reason. Isn't having a second moon going to absolutely wreck havok with the tides on earth?

It depends on how dense it is, the whole thing might weigh as much as a paper clip.

Not to mention in that universe they figured out warp travel, I'd imagine they can move something out of orbit if need be.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Pook Good Mook posted:

It depends on how dense it is, the whole thing might weigh as much as a paper clip.

Not to mention in that universe they figured out warp travel, I'd imagine they can move something out of orbit if need be.

I like that they figured out warp travel but they still put Korben to sleep on the flight.

But Fifth Element has lots of stuff like that. The biggest thing to me was always the passage of time versus the stated "deadline" of the apocalypse. Cornelius states what, 48 hours? until the end of existence? The first day is Leloo being found, finding Korben, and then being brought to Cornelius. In the span of the 2nd day Korben wins a contest, goes all the way to this exotic resort across the galaxy, gets the MacGuffin and comes back on a fighter ship, and saves the day. All within 24 hours. But they put him to sleep on the flight?

I don't care though, The Fifth Element rules.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Tenkaris posted:

I like that they figured out warp travel but they still put Korben to sleep on the flight.

But Fifth Element has lots of stuff like that. The biggest thing to me was always the passage of time versus the stated "deadline" of the apocalypse. Cornelius states what, 48 hours? until the end of existence? The first day is Leloo being found, finding Korben, and then being brought to Cornelius. In the span of the 2nd day Korben wins a contest, goes all the way to this exotic resort across the galaxy, gets the MacGuffin and comes back on a fighter ship, and saves the day. All within 24 hours. But they put him to sleep on the flight?

I don't care though, The Fifth Element rules.

I figured it was like Stephen King's The Jaunt, where you have to be asleep for warp travel, even if it doesn't take that long. Or ~bad things happen~.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I think they just do that because the flight attendants tend to behave extremely unprofessionally.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Kruller posted:

Ideally they'd have it so humans are in crazy engineered bio-armor that fires plasma bursts out of the arms, and the aliens come in with a huge fleet like "we gonna gently caress you up" and we're all like "we killed you with a laptop last time, check this poo poo out" and it's 2 hours of aliens getting exploded. Basically Pacific Rim on a smaller scale.

I personally would like to see more hand-to-tentacle combat, as the scene in the autopsy room where they just unload repeatedly was the best. Marines in big bulky biosuits that ride the line between alien technology and human adaptation/development rampaging through an alien command ship literally tearing aliens apart on their way to the core with their tactical suitcase nuke would be amazing.

They better have a good art designer on lock so all the human developments of the alien tech look as neat as they should.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
For Fifth Element, the sleeping for warp thing could be like how it used to be for Air Travel before they flew above the atmosphere. That warp flight was extremely uncomfortable and unnerving for people not used to it, so they just people to sleep for it since they didnt have the fly above it option. Which also explains why it wasnt a huge deal for the attendants and pilots to be awake, or banging.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Sionistic posted:

For Fifth Element, the sleeping for warp thing could be like how it used to be for Air Travel before they flew above the atmosphere. That warp flight was extremely uncomfortable and unnerving for people not used to it, so they just people to sleep for it since they didnt have the fly above it option. Which also explains why it wasnt a huge deal for the attendants and pilots to be awake, or banging.

Ruby Rhod is a pampered feminine celebrity, not a warp-attuned flight attendant. :colbert:

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Tenkaris posted:

Ruby Rhod is a pampered feminine celebrity, not a warp-attuned flight attendant. :colbert:

Ruby Rhod partied so hard that he got through the apocalypse with barely a scratch. If a warp nightmare thing showed up he'd probably interview and gently caress it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tenkaris posted:

I find it impossible to be annoyed with Ruby Rhod past the shootout in the opera house, and so should you. He's an obnoxious, pampered, self-obsessed jerk of a clothes horse, and as soon as gunfire breaks out he crawls towards it to report on what's happening. It's an amazing subversion of a character who you'd expect to be the first one onto the escape pods.

• Locked thread