Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

OldManMarsh posted:

Hey now, we need something to fund our police drones and tasers, don't we? And on a less important note we need them to fund our possible future monorail as well.

And something to use those drones and tasers on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

See? It's a perfect political ecosystem!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Do we have a policy on gay rights? There's a synonym I can never remember, but we should get on top of that too.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Poil posted:

Do we have a policy on gay rights? There's a synonym I can never remember, but we should get on top of that too.

You can indeed make gay marriage legal. I believe it just pisses off the religious (and maybe conservatives?) and makes liberals happy.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
You can, but for some odd reason this is a random dilemma that shows up sometimes rather than an actual policy, not sure about the reasoning behind that. (you can't imagine how long I spent looking around in game for such a policy before remembering)

To the guy who mentioned this during the last vote: Sorry, forgot to respond to this!

echidnagirl
Mar 27, 2014

Logo logo logo! Also, voting for monorails

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Here's my contribution to the logo contest:

I chose to colors to reflect what a good job we're doing with the country!

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET
Tax the drugs (maximally), and quick.

Also, replace her with Ms. Günther

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

The final tally:

Keep minister - 2
TaurusTorus, SirArthurIV
Fire, replace with Nadine Günther - 17
TheMcD, Robhol, Senerio, Haifisch, Wagrid, paragon1, Eumenides, Torrannor, Broenheim, Ahundredbux, CaptainSweden, Perestroika, OldManMarsh, Krotera, Banemaster, Deceitful Penguin, Poil
Fire, replace with Nadine Walter - 1
anilEhilated
Fire, replace with Robin Müller - 2
A_Raving_Loon, TravelLog
PURGE THE CABINET - 3
Nyaa, Geokinesis, Caufman

Implement Recreational Drugs Tax, maximum level, 8 PC, +6,59 Bn per quarter - (7)+13=20 votes
TaurusTorus, Banemaster, TheMcD, Nyaa, A_Raving_Loon, paragon1, Eumenides, JGBeagle, xelada, CaptainSweden, Perestroika, OldManMarsh, Krotera
Monorail!, 14 PC, -8.15 Bn per quarter - (13)+2=15 votes
Ahundredbux, echidnagirl
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Implement Recreational Drugs Tax, 2/3 of max, 8 PC, +4.8 Bn per quarter - (4)+9=13 votes
Robhol, Deceitful Penguin, Senerio, Poil, Eastbound Spider, Haifisch, SirArthurIV, Torrannor, Broenheim
Remove restrictions on abortion, 26 PC, no budget change Bn per quarter - (8)+1=9 votes
Wagrid
Enact Labour Day Bank Holiday, 3 PC, no budget change - (3)+1 votes
Geokinesis
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Implement Junk Food Tax, maximum level, 6 PC, +320 Mn per quarter - (3) votes
Increase Drinking Age to 21, 2/3 of max, 13 PC, no budget change - (2) votes

:siren:TURN 7:siren:

Foreign minister Mayer is quietly let go and replaced with Frau Nadine Günther, a well known party member with a reputation for toeing the line. The move is discussed by a few political columnists but doesn't cause any major upsets.

A punitive tax on the recently legalised recreational drugs is instituted. Critics liken the LFAP's policy to that of a stereotypical drug pusher, allowing the populace to become addicted to cheap drugs and raising the prices exponentially once they are hooked. Political cartoons on the subject abound for the next few months. Analysts also warn that this may do little to halt the addiction problems, as the newly created addicts will simply return to the black market to find cheaper highs again.

The flagship monorail project is launched, overjoying commuters and sci-fi fans all over Germany.

Despite this foray into the future, things still seem to be deteriorating.

A huge exodus of the most highly skilled experts and entrepreneurs has begun, as businesses move away from what they perceive as the increasingly hostile climate for success in Germany.

The most highly skilled cyber-criminals seem to be here to stay, however, as the underfunded intelligence services are unable to keep up with the rate of technological innovation.

A huge and sudden new deficit causes the credit rating to be downgraded once again, forcing Germany into further budget woes.

Quite a few new red dots on the screen this turn!

There are several new blows to the budget this quarter, with the brain drain combining with the new cyber-crime problems in an already terrible economy. The new income from the drug taxes is eaten up the monorail project, and the government now faces a severe deficit as interest rates soar again. There are increasing calls for cut-backs and austerity programs.

Approval is still relatively stable, although approval continues to drop among the usual suspects. The commuters do love riding the future train to work though.

The LFAP is still losing voters, but would still remain in power if the elections were held today.

The intelligence services report increased activity from pressure groups across the entire spectrum of ideologies.

Alcohol consumption is still dropping. Note how we could save almost seven billion in health care costs if we could bring down the problem to a manageable level.

The drug problems show no sign of stopping even with the new taxation, despite recorded consumption falling a lot. Many take this as an indication that those that can no longer afford to purchase drugs legally are indeed returning to the street corners.

The astute among you may notice that the drug taxation has no effect whatsoever on the drug addiction situation, which is only affected by the law itself. Even though addicts turning to tax-free drugs is a reasonable explanation, you'd think this would have at least some effect. (I promise I would have warned you about this had I actually known about it myself)

Homelessness increases again, as the state housing program has not had time to have a full effect as of yet.

And the rioting continues unabated.

And finally, a look at the "everyone" group. Obviously, every voter is sympathetic with this group. This group is a bit of an odd duck, regarding what affects it. They are currently a bit upset about the changes in the cabinet, as well as tobacco taxes. Apparently everybody is a smoker?

:siren:LEGISLATION TIME:siren:

First of all, the logo competition!

Please vote for one of the suggestions:

Logo A, by Nyaa

Logo B, by xelada

Logo C, by TheMcD

Logo D, by Perestroika

Logo E, by echidnagirl

Logo F, by Ahundredbux

We have very few things on the agenda, 28 PC to play around with, and a lot of problems facing us.

As usual, just ask me if you want ideas for policy suggestions.

The current (very short) agenda:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remove restrictions on abortion, 26 PC, no budget change Bn per quarter - (9) votes
Enact Labour Day Bank Holiday, 3 PC, no budget change - (4) votes
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
Welp, our country's slowly declining, our approval rate is dropping, and its chaos outside. But goddamnit, my "coke, hooker, and monorails" tourism ad campaign will become a reality!

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
In Democracy 2 Smokers was a voter group. It was removed from Democracy 3 and it is assumed that every voter group will have some amount of smokers in them, which is the reason why tobacco related things show up there.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Logo A is complicated, therefore it's good. And I think a Labour Day holiday would help soothe everyone's ruffled feathers.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
F, Monorail

Also what do we have available to help quell riots?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
A, increase funding for drones to max. We can't let our people keep leaving in droves. Send in the drones.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
D, restrict drugs to LSD only Come on guys the free drugs have been kind of a disaster.

Also the only policy I can remember that helps lower internet crime is internet censorship.

echidnagirl
Mar 27, 2014
C, and we should remove restrictions on abortion because even though we love whales, we hate babies (especially babies who's not wearing lederhosen)

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

TravelLog posted:

Also what do we have available to help quell riots?

Reposting the riot page from last update for clarity.

The main factor causing the riots is poverty ...which we unfortunately have done a lot to increase through a series of new regressive taxes and addicted the poor to state sponsored drugs. Repealing or lowering some of these taxes would help a lot. Unfortunately, we're already running a huge deficit.

Other ways of lowering poverty:

4 PC, extremely popular though rather expensive. Also boosts health.

9 PC, not hugely influential on poverty but would go along way to secure the elderly vote.

4 PC, cheap and popular with most groups although capitalists detest this. Could probably worsen the problems with homelessness.

10 PC, good for the health of our children and would help us recover the parent's vote. Again, somewhat expensive.

Of course, we could circumvent curing the disease and hit them right in the symptom...

28 PC and expensive, but let's see them try to get away with rioting with a camera on every corner. Also a good crime fighting tool in general, and would mend our relations with the conservatives a bit.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

How do we fight brain drain, can we fund schools to replace the ingrates fleeing glorious Germany?

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

paragon1 posted:

Also the only policy I can remember that helps lower internet crime is internet censorship.

Besides general measures to prevent crime, there are only a few ways to prevent internet crime, all of which rather drastic and/or expensive.

7 PC to raise, and pretty darn expensive. Useful for other things as well though.

27 PC to implement, expensive, very unpopular but pretty effective. Only hurts technology a bit, that's a good thing, right..?

28 PC to implement, unpopular and hurts both GDP and technology. Pays for itself though!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

TaurusTorus posted:

How do we fight brain drain, can we fund schools to replace the ingrates fleeing glorious Germany?

AFAIK, there is no way to stop the brain drain without lighting the tax burden that's making them pack up in the first place. (please correct me if I'm wrong) Funding schools would counteract the loss of productivity however.

It's perfectly possible (and sometimes necessary) to learn to live with some of these situations, especially if you are bent on running the country in a more extreme faction. Some of these situations don't have all that terrible effects, really.

Zero grinder
Sep 25, 2010
Fun Shoe

TaurusTorus posted:

Alas no, increasing the number of educated people will only cause more people to leave. As they see that their efforts are being "punished" by taxation. In game education does jack all to Brain Drain, since its cause is taxation.

Vyxzuw
Oct 16, 2012

Please stop shitposting in the Let's Play Dangan Ronpa thread!
CCTV Cameras as high as possible. Maybe we can use the footage for a nationwide Reality Show for revenue.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Yeah, CCTV Cameras is obviously going to be the solution to all of our problems :v:

Also voting for Logo B

SirArthurIV
Feb 15, 2014
Food Stamps, Logo F

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

gently caress it, CCTV Cameras lets become an anarcho-totalitarian police orgy state.

Eumenides
Sep 24, 2007

This is the face of Lawful Good!

Fun Shoe
E and Food Stamps

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Also loving lol at the global economy. This is the kind of poo poo I was talking about. I will be shocked, shocked if it ever does anything but massively drag down GDP for the rest of the game. I could seriously believe there's some kind of bug at work.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
This thread inspired me to get the game and try and fix the UK's problems.

How do you fix an alcohol abuse crisis? Alcohol taxes and community policing don't seem enough on their own.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Raise the minimum drinking age like i've been advocating in this thread. Look for a policy called "Alcohol laws", it should be near the crime stuff.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Stop trying to attack alcohol abuse directly, and instead look to reducing the things that increase alcohol consumption.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Yup, working to reduce poverty and unemployment helps to bring down alcohol consumption. The DLC also introduced the alcohol awareness campaign which is really cheap and helps out a lot.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Tehan posted:

Stop trying to attack alcohol abuse directly, and instead look to reducing the things that increase alcohol consumption.

Well, if this was the real world, I'd agree with you 100%. In the game however, the alochol abuse condition impacts productivity, which impacts GDP. A higher GDP decreases unemployment, which decreases poverty and homelessness. In democracy 3, sometimes attacking the symptom actually does cure the disease.

Or you could just maximally fund schools and science and max out the space program to revitalize the economy. But where's the fun in that?

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Down With Internet Censorship All websites should be free (like the drugs)

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Is our police force armed yet? Do we have enough PC for that this turn?

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

Is our police force armed yet? Do we have enough PC for that this turn?

Nope and nope, unfortunately. It would cost a whopping 50 PC (more than we are even able to stockpile currently), probably due to all the liberalism in the nation.

xelada
Dec 21, 2012
I vote for Flag B which should surprise no-one.
food stamps will help the issue of discontents, and will lessen the weight on our health service.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Then my vote goes for Adding and maxing out Foreign Investor Tax Breaks we need the boost to GDP!!

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Covski posted:

It's perfectly possible (and sometimes necessary) to learn to live with some of these situations, especially if you are bent on running the country in a more extreme faction. Some of these situations don't have all that terrible effects, really.

Yeah just deal with Brain Drain, as the otherwise we'll have to be nice to the Capitalist faction.

kaiten80
Oct 31, 2012
Won't someone think of the children?! We need Free School Meals right away. It's not like their drug addicted parents are feeding them well at home.

Also, Logo F is clearly the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

There's no use in having Europe's largest and most well funded police force if we don't give them plenty of opportunities to earn their keep.

Maximum CCTV is needed. We have thrown plenty of bones to our liberal voters, but at the same time we need to keep the people safe.

• Locked thread