Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I have a foil Rejeerey if you're interested. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Mikujin posted:

I have a foil Rejeerey if you're interested. :getin:

I mean I'm sure it looks nice but I'm trying to build this as cheaply as possible right now. :(

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
My U/w devotion deck behaved really well tonight, not giving up a single game, and winning most of them fairly quickly, and very decisively.

Here's the deck.

Highlights of the games were:

*Realizing that when master of waves came in, Cloudfin Raptor would evolve for master of waves, and for at least the first elemental token(from the first Master of Waves) and additional tokens, depending on the number of Masters of Waves that I had, also trigger evolve, too, possibly.

*while slightly unsure of the timing, as in, whether the gods trigger evolve when cast, or whether they trigger it when they gain enough devotion to become creatures, (I've been erring on the side of when they gain enough devotion), I like that they work, too. I'll like them even better if they do that, as changing devotion will let them trigger evolve more.

*having four blue devotion, 6 white/blue devotion, and both Ephara and Thassa on the board, my opponent cast an Akroan horse. On my turn, I Detention Sphered that horse, creating enough devotion to turn both into dudes, to swing all out, and to win the game.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

What a Judas posted:

Hint: seriously, it's not.

Who leaks them?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

kizudarake posted:

*while slightly unsure of the timing, as in, whether the gods trigger evolve when cast, or whether they trigger it when they gain enough devotion to become creatures, (I've been erring on the side of when they gain enough devotion), I like that they work, too. I'll like them even better if they do that, as changing devotion will let them trigger evolve more.

Gods only trigger evolve if they're a creature when they enter the battlefield (including if their own CMC pushes them over the threshold); if a god becomes a creature when it's already on the battlefield, that doesn't trigger evolve. In the future, if you're unsure of something at all, you should just call a judge over.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

vOv posted:

Gods only trigger evolve if they're a creature when they enter the battlefield (including if their own CMC pushes them over the threshold); if a god becomes a creature when it's already on the battlefield, that doesn't trigger evolve. In the future, if you're unsure of something at all, you should just call a judge over.

Kinda hard to call a judge over when there is no judge, and the TO is playing, too.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Evolve is such a good mechanic, I wouldn't mind them revisiting it in future core sets like they did with exalted and bloodthirst.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Who leaks them?

I assume it's people working at manufacturers and distributors, so not Wizards employees but their partners.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

kizudarake posted:

Kinda hard to call a judge over when there is no judge, and the TO is playing, too.

If it is a DCI sanctioned event, neither the judges nor the TO are allowed to participate in play.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Cactrot posted:

If it is a DCI sanctioned event, neither the judges nor the TO are allowed to participate in play.

Unless:
  • it's Friday Night Magic
  • it's a prerelease
  • it's part of a launch party
  • it's during a Magic Game Day
  • it's any of non-premier event
  • it's a tournaments in which WoTC specifically allows those individuals to participate

So, yea, pretty much any normal event.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Notes From A Magic e-book

Part 12: Chapter Eleven

Scene: a plateau overlooking Meletis, one which has seen thousands of battles. The archon-lords (which would be tautologous if archontes weren't a wholly separate class of being in Magic) died here, legions of the undead, and even Kruphix's first Nyxborn, Nykthos. The gods have declared it a temenos, defined as 'a sacred land set apart from the rest of the mortal realm.' It is to be left barren by all mortals. This isn't really how that works in Greek, even when it's used for a holy piece of land, but it's probably as close as they could get, so well done. Temenos is literally 'a thing cut off', from temno, I cut. In our earlier sources, looking toward the Mycenaean Bronze Age, a temenos is mostly secular: an estate, a parcel of land held by a high king or given to one of his nobles. Over time, we begin to find religious uses of the word in this kind of sense, though they don't require it to be deserted. Pindar calls the whole city of Syracuse the temenos of Ares, for example.

My diversions aside, let's return to the plot. Daxos has apparently only just reached this plateau despite having been told to go find Elspeth well over a day and a night ago. Lots of omens in the sky, and he can't detect Nylea's presence. He wishes he could - there's some compassion to her, which his own god lacks.

The gods go to war again. Purphoros' mountain in the mortal realm explodes in a fireball to cover the sky. Heliod's presence descends over the sea and he starts boiling it away with the sun's heat. Smaller sea animals are fried, while the tritons dive deeper, but Heliod is relentless. Even the great krakens at the bottom of the ocean are beginning to feel the warmth and stir. Keranos sides with Thassa, his favourite sister and sends a storm to blast Meletis; Karametra thinks Setessa is at risk and goes after Thassa too. All the other gods join in unspecified ways except Nylea. Daxos is relieved in a vaguely suicidal way at this apocalypse, thinking that he can be set from the gods and his oracular duties at last.

Heliod tries to get Elspeth to come to Meletis, but she has her usual hangups when seeing yet another of her planes overcome by war and destruction. Godsend slips from her fingers.

Kruphix hears this slip and something and the possibility of Godsend being used and/or a war which will slaughter thousands of mortals freaks him out. He declares that he will enact the Silence he has threatened. Nylea tells him he's loving stupid because mortals and immortals alike are at risk from Xenagos and Polukranos, and the chaos is going to be even worse this way but he ignores her. He's very self-righteous about being the god who cares about mortals. The fact that Nylea is demonstrating at least as much regard for them and is doing the job of uncovering secrets better than the God of Secrets does not endear him to me. He carves the names of the gods on his tree, as he has done in ages past, and they are imprisoned. Xenagos is :smug: again, and gives a mock bow to Kruphix.

Daxos is celebrating his freedom, and the Meletians are celebrating their city not being at the centre of a godwar when he sees Elspeth. He's freaked by this woman whom he recognises from when she was about six and by her carrying Heliod's weapon. Not much time for catch up though, because here comes Polukranos.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Anyone able to recommend places to order singles in the UK? Have bought accessories from Magic Madhouse but not cards, and there's Firestorm Cards (who are not the same as Firestorm Games in Cardiff) who seem ok from my dealings with them over eBay, who I now mean to cut out of things since they are dildos.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Applebees posted:

I assume it's people working at manufacturers and distributors, so not Wizards employees but their partners.

Hint: it's both. WOTC employees do leak things to friends.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Anyone able to recommend places to order singles in the UK? Have bought accessories from Magic Madhouse but not cards, and there's Firestorm Cards (who are not the same as Firestorm Games in Cardiff) who seem ok from my dealings with them over eBay, who I now mean to cut out of things since they are dildos.

Madhouse has the best stock availability by far, but magicsingles.co.uk and manaleak.co.uk (or is it .com?) are both pretty good. and magiccardmarket.eu for individuals selling instead of stores.

(I nornally use madhouse because of the stock availability, but I also order many things at once, rather doing it alowly over time, to save shipping.)

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Fish Of Doom posted:

Evolve is such a good mechanic, I wouldn't mind them revisiting it in future core sets like they did with exalted and bloodthirst.

Would seem quite fitting on Muraganda.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
Got beat like a red-headed stepchild last night at FNM going 1-3 and a bye. I sort of expected it since I'm new to my deck but it still stung. Going to do a BOTG gameday tourney tonight and try again.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
So I still have a sealed box of Modern Masters. Should I sell it now before the bubble bursts, or ride it out and hope it continues to gain value?

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Count Bleck posted:

I mean I'm sure it looks nice but I'm trying to build this as cheaply as possible right now. :(

There is a set of reerjerays on eBay right now that I stopped bidding on once it went past tcg low price. Still 6 hours left iirc.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

So I still have a sealed box of Modern Masters. Should I sell it now before the bubble bursts, or ride it out and hope it continues to gain value?

The bubble never bursts on out of print boxes. Hoard away.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
Any predictions for the SCG Milwaukee top 8? I think mono-blue devotion is going to make a good showing as much as I hate to say it.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

morning wood posted:

Any predictions for the SCG Milwaukee top 8? I think mono-blue devotion is going to make a good showing as much as I hate to say it.

I'm personally seeing five color Chromanticore control continuing its excellent streak so far in the competitive scene.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

morning wood posted:

Cephalid Breakfast all the way.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Toshimo posted:

Cephalid Breakfast all the way.

You're like the opposite of psychic; you see things that are not going to happen.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

What a Judas posted:

You're like the opposite of psychic; you see things that are not going to happen.

You mean like that time I said Murdergoats was gonna be cool?

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Ramos posted:

I'm personally seeing five color Chromanticore control continuing its excellent streak so far in the competitive scene.

I'd probably play standard if that could be a thing. I got blown out of the water by a decent Chromanticore draft deck at FNM last night. It was a great durdley deck that did almost nothing of consequence until he was able to grind me out for tons of life with Scholar of Atheros and the inspired life drain guy or he randomly dropped Chromanticore on a Nessian Asp for a bonkers life swing.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
This esper midrange player on the SCG stream is infuriating.

MrBling fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 5, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

PleasantDirge posted:

There is a set of reerjerays on eBay right now that I stopped bidding on once it went past tcg low price. Still 6 hours left iirc.

Aww man the DCI Reejerey is so nice looking :sigh:

Boring
Nov 29, 2004

nuhhh

MrBling posted:

This esper midrange player on the SCG stream is infuriating.

in his defence there is a shitload of stuff to remember when playing the deck, i've played it for the last month and find it awesome but far more of a challenge than any other std deck i've tried. And i still forget the occasional double draw from ephara when blocking with Brimaz or every single Soldier of the Pantheon lifegain trigger.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
I forced a draw last night by flashing in a Notion Thief on turn 5 of turns to block a lethal Aetherling that my opponent cast off of a Jace ultimate when he didn't realize he could still make it unblockable.

He said, "You're gonna force the draw?", and I said, "Yah".

"You wanna give me the win since I was so far ahead?"

"No, I earned that draw."

He scooped and reported.

Later in the evening, I got to cast a Thassa that my Nightveil Specter stole, and later came a Tidebinder Mage to turn her on.
It was a good night for Magic.

Mouth Ze Dong fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 5, 2014

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
^^^ How were the other games? Did he sandbag in the other games to push it to a draw or what? IMHO it seems like a nice thing to do to give him the win if y'all both played at a good pace.

:lol: Patrick Sullivan just won the fastest game 3 of a control mirror that's been on cam in a long time.

Korak fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 5, 2014

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
For those watching the SCG open, oh man, did anyone watch the speed of that last game of the control mirror round one. The commentators were having a hard time keeping up as both players were just flying through turns to try and get in under time.

Was really funny to watch.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
GP Phoenix stream is starting.

https://www.twitch.tv/channelfireball

LSV and Matt Sperling doing some commentary.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Fish Of Doom posted:

Evolve in a fall rotation set without any cheap sweepers would probably be tier 1. The biggest issue with evolve currently is that turn 4 or 5(or turn 3 with bile blight) all your stuff will probably be dying. Mechanically it's a solid thing, it just got overshadowed by better things.

Overall RTR had some really good mechanics.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
How many weeks until we get people sideboarding rest in peace to fight Standard Dredge? Although even then it's only decent against the deck instead of being a blow out.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Korak posted:

Evolve in a fall rotation set without any cheap sweepers would probably be tier 1. The biggest issue with evolve currently is that turn 4 or 5(or turn 3 with bile blight) all your stuff will probably be dying. Mechanically it's a solid thing, it just got overshadowed by better things.

Overall RTR had some really good mechanics.

Yeah, I got to say, the only mechanic I didn't really care for was Cipher, which we later found out was more of a heroic enabler than anything. The rest of them managed to be quite interesting and enjoyable for the most part. Golgari's was a bit boring, but still useful enough.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Korak posted:

How many weeks until we get people sideboarding rest in peace to fight Standard Dredge? Although even then it's only decent against the deck instead of being a blow out.

Depends on how many weeks it takes for the majority of Standard dredge players to stop going 0-X/drop. And even then, most decks have a better game plan against it than RiP.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Is the lighting on the CFB stream really poor or is it just me?

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

JerryLee posted:

They prerecorded a second match so they could comment on it later. They didn't realize the lighting was bad until they already recorded 20 minutes.

Also, one of the players is playing "U/B Goodstuff" in his first tournament which includes Black Oak of Odunos and Contaminated Ground.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Ramos posted:

Yeah, I got to say, the only mechanic I didn't really care for was Cipher, which we later found out was more of a heroic enabler than anything. The rest of them managed to be quite interesting and enjoyable for the most part. Golgari's was a bit boring, but still useful enough.

Apparently Cipher was a last minute thing. Dimir's original ability was "Grind", which was mill target library until you hit X lands, which still ended up on a bunch of cards. They thought that that wasn't interactive enough, so they changed the wording and added a bunch of last minute cipher cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

JerryLee posted:

the match currently on is the secondary feature match, which they've recorded alongside the primary one to show after the first one finishes. I guess they didn't have a proper lighting setup on that table.

It's a thing they're trying to avoid having to repeat matches between rounds. Live commentary over a recorded match.

• Locked thread