Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I set up a smart playlist to merge two non-smart playlists to get the songs from both on my wife's phone easily.

Both those playlists have about 1600 songs in them, together. But the new smart playlist only has 30 songs and I can't find the option to change that. I have other smart playlists with like, 9000 songs in them, so what gives?

Here's the dialogue:

Deselecting "live updating" does nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

tuyop posted:

I set up a smart playlist to merge two non-smart playlists to get the songs from both on my wife's phone easily.

Both those playlists have about 1600 songs in them, together. But the new smart playlist only has 30 songs and I can't find the option to change that. I have other smart playlists with like, 9000 songs in them, so what gives?

Here's the dialogue:

Deselecting "live updating" does nothing.
Shouldn't that be match 'any', not 'all'?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah, by making it an "AND" statement, it's only including songs that show in both of those playlists. You need tell it to look in either playlist.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

IUG posted:

Yeah, by making it an "AND" statement, it's only including songs that show in both of those playlists. You need tell it to look in either playlist.

Oh, that makes perfect sense. Thanks!

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
Nabbed 64Y47PKM4RJ4 and MALJJ66YHL4Xm thanks.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

boom boom boom posted:

Does the new iTunes update fix that thing where it keeps playing podcasts instead of just playing the podcast you clicked on and stopping when it gets to the end?

I've only listened to one podcast since updating, but so far the answer seems to be yes. That was the single most annoying loving thing with iTunes - had to make a seperate playlist just for when I wanted to listen to one or two specific podcasts.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Can someone tell me I'm not crazy in that iTunes just won't update via the Apple Software Update (or that it's already updated but the ASU just shits the bed when trying to see its updated)?

Windows 7 for reference.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Accipiter posted:

Here's some more.

Broken Bells: After the Disco

9XPRJPJ7KX7J

Took this one, thanks a ton!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Thwomp posted:

Can someone tell me I'm not crazy in that iTunes just won't update via the Apple Software Update (or that it's already updated but the ASU just shits the bed when trying to see its updated)?

Windows 7 for reference.

Yeah the last couple of updates have been like that for me as well. I haven't been able to download the iOS updates either.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Wengy posted:

Besides, the matching is terrible anyway; my iTunes uploaded a ton of songs that are available in the store and should simply have been matched.

Re-import your CD, match the CD before rip.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Accipiter posted:

FHFMKNRKRXRN, NJ6HWXYF9KEF

Thank you!

perhonen
May 7, 2007

Accipiter posted:

Broken Bells: After the Disco

3MHPLH9W33N7

Grabbed this one, thanks.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

My iTunes library is getting more and more screwed up by the day both on my computer and my iPod classic. For awhile it's been randomly truncating songs and now it's playing the wrong songs (like say I put in a ZZ top album and it will start playing The Styx). Every now and then when I catch it, I'll go in to verify that it's not an issue with the file itself. If I play the song in another program, it plays fine.

I could go in and individually fix each issue, however, the problem is so wide spread and the only way to find out if there is an issue, is to listen to each and every track. I'm assuming the iTunes database is hosed. Should I just wipe out my database, start on a new fresh database and re-add all my music? Oh yeah I'm on a Mac right now if that makes any difference.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

You could always export the library and save it somewhere else just in case. Then start fresh and see if the issue carries over.

Hell, do that and then reimport it. See if that fixes it.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Haggins posted:

My iTunes library is getting more and more screwed up by the day both on my computer and my iPod classic. For awhile it's been randomly truncating songs and now it's playing the wrong songs (like say I put in a ZZ top album and it will start playing The Styx). Every now and then when I catch it, I'll go in to verify that it's not an issue with the file itself. If I play the song in another program, it plays fine.

I could go in and individually fix each issue, however, the problem is so wide spread and the only way to find out if there is an issue, is to listen to each and every track. I'm assuming the iTunes database is hosed. Should I just wipe out my database, start on a new fresh database and re-add all my music? Oh yeah I'm on a Mac right now if that makes any difference.

I'm on windows and several of the songs I bought in the store had hosed local files, I had to delete and redownload them a bit ago. One album wasn't in the store any more too, rip.

By hosed, I mean they cut out after about 1/3 in. Took me a while to realize it was widespread.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Anyone ever had problems with Itunes randomly forgetting the album art for single songs? If I select the album as a whole the art is there, but for instance 3 random songs when played will not have art.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Davincie posted:

Anyone ever had problems with Itunes randomly forgetting the album art for single songs? If I select the album as a whole the art is there, but for instance 3 random songs when played will not have art.

Very rarely. However, they now have a rule for smart playlists that let you select a song based on if it has artwork or not. So I just made that and every once in a while I check it. Can't say I've seen something appear in there in months though.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

That helped find the problem tracks, thanks.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Less a problem and more a warning with a solution: If you have to reset Safari, keep in mind they tie the cookies into iTunes, so eradicating your Safari profile will force you into an endless login prompt loop on iTunes. The solution is to reboot and make sure iTunes doesn't start automatically, go to Apple ID via Safari and reset your password, then launch iTunes and relogin. It may be handy to have another iOS device nearby, just in case.

Oh, and be smart and make sure you sure your backups include ~/Library/. I also tried replacing the cleared ~/Library/Cookies with a backup copy from before the Safari Reset first, but it didn't appear to trick it into working.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

My spouse and I want to consolidate iTunes libraries, copying all of her music to mine. Only music is really of concern. She does have like ~10 albums purchased on her itunes account. What's the best way to merge her library into mine? And still make it so we can access all her purchased music? It'd be coming from her latest version itunes on Windows to my latest version itunes on Mac. We have an ipad, iphone, and android phone which eventually have the music sync'd to them. I have no idea what the best way is to merge her purchases into mine -- we want to only use my itunes account going forward.

thanks.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
There's no way to combine the purchases from both accounts into one. But you can put all the files in your library and authorize the computer with both accounts. Just dragging her iTunes library folder into your iTunes should make iTunes copy all her files in.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I've had an issue where I'll randomly get episodes of tv shows I've bought show up in my music library, and I can't get them to go away. Sometimes on album view I'll get songs from elsewhere in my library listed, and when I play them they go away. Am I watching my itunes slowly die?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Choadmaster posted:

There's no way to combine the purchases from both accounts into one. But you can put all the files in your library and authorize the computer with both accounts. Just dragging her iTunes library folder into your iTunes should make iTunes copy all her files in.

Does the DRM even apply to the music anymore? I thought it was only movies and apps that require you to login to play.

I guess my advice is to try to add one of her songs you know she bought through iTunes, and see if it can play in your library. If so, then you just import all her music, have iTunes search for duplicates, and delete all the ones that were added "today".

Jack Gladney posted:

I've had an issue where I'll randomly get episodes of tv shows I've bought show up in my music library, and I can't get them to go away. Sometimes on album view I'll get songs from elsewhere in my library listed, and when I play them they go away. Am I watching my itunes slowly die?

I have some shows in my iTunes library where they don't have any files on my computer. Stuff like Game Of Thrones, where I redeemed a code from the bluray. They're in iTunes, but they don't yet exist as files on the hard drive.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I'm reformatting my computer, and would like to save my iTunes libraries playcount's, ratings, and all that fun stuff. The OP says to copy a select file or two out of the itunes folder. However, the description is kind of vague and all the pictures are broken :(

Can anyone provide some brief instructions for this?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Sorry, I guess I need to redo that.

Easiest way is to go through the File Menu, Library submenu, and then pick Export Library. Take that file and import from that. Otherwise you library file is probably in your User folder, Music, iTunes folder.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
My itunes keeps rechecking a bunch of files for gapless playback or whatever every time I start it. Any idea what is up with that?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

IUG posted:

Does the DRM even apply to the music anymore? I thought it was only movies and apps that require you to login to play.

Generally no, but if they were songs his wife bought a long time ago, possibly yes.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I'm reformatting my computer, and would like to save my iTunes libraries playcount's, ratings, and all that fun stuff. The OP says to copy a select file or two out of the itunes folder. However, the description is kind of vague and all the pictures are broken :(

Can anyone provide some brief instructions for this?

Why don't you just back up the whole library folder? I mean, surely you're backing the files up before you reformat, anyway...

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Choadmaster posted:

Why don't you just back up the whole library folder? I mean, surely you're backing the files up before you reformat, anyway...

Can you elaborate? Like I said before, the instructions in the OP are sparse, and I kinda just don't trust random Google searches that talk about how to do it on iTunes 9 or some other 4 year old version of it.

What would be the difference between importing the library.xml file, and then importing my music files as opposed to your method?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

"My" (heh) method doesn't require importing or exporting anything. The "iTunes" or "iTunes Library" folder (it seems to be called different things based on OS and version) is fully self-contained, provided you have iTunes managing your files like 99% of people do. All your iTunes media files are in that folder, along with iTunes' library database, so as long as you have that folder backed up (like I said, you must be backing up your media files somewhere anyway...?), restoring it is as simple as just copying it back after your wipe. Incidentally, you can also keep this folder anywhere you like on your hard drive (or on a secondary drive) - when you launch iTunes after moving the folder, it should ask you to point it to the new location (you can also force it to ask if need be, by holding option [Mac] or shift [Windows] while launching iTunes).

This obviously doesn't apply if you told itunes you want to manually manage your files, and said files are strewn willy nilly around your hard drive (don't do that).

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 5, 2014

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I would just use iTunes Match if you want to maintain playcounts and such over multiple devices. It's sort of a godsend for me when I get new machines and reformat old ones all the time-- don't have to worry about copying library files or importing them anymore.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

He's reformatting his computer, not trying to sync among multiple devices. iTunes Match won't do poo poo for his non-music media.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I guess that's true. I don't really manage any videos in iTunes, but having iTunes Match enabled for my music is still handy if I need to reformat. I just deauthorize the iTunes account, reformat, download iTunes and sign into iTunes Match again.

No need to worry about making sure the paths in the iTunes.itl or xml file are correct, etc. It's just something that I've felt has been "solved" by Match for over a couple years.

But yeah, no videos/podcasts.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Choadmaster posted:

"My" (heh) method doesn't require importing or exporting anything. The "iTunes" or "iTunes Library" folder (it seems to be called different things based on OS and version) is fully self-contained, provided you have iTunes managing your files like 99% of people do. All your iTunes media files are in that folder, along with iTunes' library database, so as long as you have that folder backed up (like I said, you must be backing up your media files somewhere anyway...?), restoring it is as simple as just copying it back after your wipe. Incidentally, you can also keep this folder anywhere you like on your hard drive (or on a secondary drive) - when you launch iTunes after moving the folder, it should ask you to point it to the new location (you can also force it to ask if need be, by holding option [Mac] or shift [Windows] while launching iTunes).

This obviously doesn't apply if you told itunes you want to manually manage your files, and said files are strewn willy nilly around your hard drive (don't do that).

Thanks, this sounds like the way to go :)

E: tried this method, worked great. Thanks!

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 14, 2014

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I just bought iTunes Match and it simply won't go past Step 2, where it's meant to do the actual matching with iTunes Store songs. I've stopped and restarted the process quite a few times now but it always hangs after a certain number of songs and just gets stuck. I've turned on Genius, updated it, turned Match on and off, but no dice.

Suggestions?

E: Boy this thing is kind of a piece of poo poo, really. Still no dice, I left it running for five hours and it got stuck again. The light on the external HDD (where my library is) even stopped flickering it seems.

E2: Contacted support and we came to the conclusion that it must be a file that makes the whole thing get fuckered and they told me to check the iTunes process to see what ports and files were in use and it does indeed show file by file what iTunes Match is doing, but the thing is that once it inevitably gets stuck on something, it continues going through the tracks one by one in the processes window but not matching them and the progress bar or song numbers don't move. So it's like it's stuck but doesn't know it. And it's impossible to know what file is the culprit because they scroll by so quickly and the progress bar updates like every five seconds minimum and it's drat near impossible to look at it and determine whether or not it's stuck or just doing its thing.

I cannot believe they didn't include something like iTunes coming across a file that is corrupted or otherwise faulty and skipping it and saying afterwards what files were somehow causing problems. Seriously? How hard is it to include something like that?

E3: Well, sorted it out by turning off Match, deleting my entire iTunes library (not the files) and adding everything back album by album and syncing Match after adding each one and after two days (:suicide:) I'm done. Every last track is matched and good to go. It's still a pile of poo poo for not working because of every small thing, but thus concludes my battle with iTunes Match.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 19, 2014

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I just realized that the cloud sync on my macbook isn't working. A bunch of stuff I bought on my iPhone and my PC aren't coming up on my Macbooks's iTunes Library. It might be because I did change my E-Mail a while back. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

I just realized that the cloud sync on my macbook isn't working. A bunch of stuff I bought on my iPhone and my PC aren't coming up on my Macbooks's iTunes Library. It might be because I did change my E-Mail a while back. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Try signing out and signing back in?

down beat
Jul 11, 2002
The new updates really hosed up my podcast library. The 'delete played episodes' feature, while something I might like for my phone, isn't a something I'd like to happen in itunes. I went through each podcast changing that setting but it still took off a chunk of played episodes. The actual files seem to still be on my hard drive though. I'm going to have to be organized about how I listen to podcasts now that iTunes went from a simple list of episodes to the needless My Episodes, Feed, Saved.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Clearly everyone has dealt with having to move their iTunes collection from one Windows installation to another, but with a billion different guides out there and a billion updates to iTunes since, is that a THE Guide for doing this?

So far, I'm just copying the whole Music folder in Windows.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

ufarn posted:

Clearly everyone has dealt with having to move their iTunes collection from one Windows installation to another, but with a billion different guides out there and a billion updates to iTunes since, is that a THE Guide for doing this?

So far, I'm just copying the whole Music folder in Windows.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3022963&perpage=40&pagenumber=116#post427905381

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

There is one specific podcast that, when it's in my library, whether subscribed or just with an episode or two downloaded, causes the iTunes interface to hang for 15-20 seconds in response to basically any action while the Podcasts tab is active. When it's in my library, it's also the only podcast whose album art won't appear. This has been happening for several months. I'm guessing some piece of metadata or something related to this podcast got corrupted in my library. Is there something specific I can delete short of redoing all my iTunes poo poo?