Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
(manga)They should have left out the ripple entirely because there's no reason for Joseph to lose the Darby water cup game if he can even still kind of do the ripple

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Now with these Stands I'm curious what the video game will be like. Will old characters fight with ripple power versus Stands?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

They should have left out the ripple entirely because there's no reason for Joseph to lose the Darby water cup game if he can even still kind of do the ripple

(manga spoiler)D'arby would see it easily. The ripple is visible to normal people and isn't the most subtle thing in the world.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Housh posted:

Now with these Stands I'm curious what the video game will be like. Will old characters fight with ripple power versus Stands?

Yes, basically Hamon characters have a mechanic where they can breathe to charge their super meters that is unavailable to Stand users. I don't really know how this plays into balance, but I've heard Phantom Blood Dio Brando is pretty top tier and he doesn't have either mechanic, so I dunno.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

hoobajoo posted:

Yes, basically Hamon characters have a mechanic where they can breathe to charge their super meters that is unavailable to Stand users. I don't really know how this plays into balance, but I've heard Phantom Blood Dio Brando is pretty top tier and he doesn't have either mechanic, so I dunno.

Ripple users can also spend some of their super meter to use a more powerful ripple infused version of their normal attacks. Also, Old Joseph is a stand character but he has a Ripple breathing move you can activate that works the same as the other ripple characters.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Ripple users can also spend some of their super meter to use a more powerful ripple infused version of their normal attacks. Also, Old Joseph is a stand character but he has a Ripple breathing move you can activate that works the same as the other ripple characters.

I didn't realize that EX moves were a ripple-only mechanic, neat.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I read part 3 a while ago but I still like how they introduce Jotaro as this total hardass and then his reasoning for not leaving the cell is entirely him being considerate of other people.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

(manga spoiler)D'arby would see it easily. The ripple is visible to normal people and isn't the most subtle thing in the world.

no way man he could just touch the bottom of the glass with his fingertip only goku could see it

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I'm glad they have a budget this time. This season looks a lot better.

I don't know how to feel about Stands though. Instead of the characters having regular superhero super powers they have some sort of ghost Pokemon. It doesn't yet look like the totally brilliant thing people kept talking about in the old thread.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I have to admit that I am having a hard time buying into this new "Stand" thing because it feels kinda fighting by proxy, but this is JoJo so I expect my stupid opinions to be crushed under all the fabulously crazy this that's going to come :allears:

Also, two JoJos in the same episode? Be still my beating heart!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Rexides posted:

I have to admit that I am having a hard time buying into this new "Stand" thing because it feels kinda fighting by proxy, but this is JoJo so I expect my stupid opinions to be crushed under all the fabulously crazy this that's going to come :allears:

Also, two JoJos in the same episode? Be still my beating heart!

Stands are amazing, especially from part four onwards where Araki really gets creative with them. The ones you see later on tend to have many rules associated with their use, making the fights more like complex games or puzzles than anything else. If I had to compare stands to something it would be Nen from HunterxHunter, there is a similar complexity to the fights later on based around all the restrictions and conditions that have to be fulfilled for stand powers to work. Unfortunately stands in part three are not as complex as what you see later on.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The first episode was pretty drat amazing. It looks like David actually has a budget to work with this time, which is really nice.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
GOOD.

That was a great first episode. I love how the art style is consistent with the comic's visuals back when it was released rather than completely changing it like the second OVA did. Pacing was also great with very little impasse while managing staying faithful to the original.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The first episode was amazing and totally worth the wait. My only complaint is that we didn't get to see the new op/ed this week.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

I adored the first episode. Can't wait until next week. It's great to have a service like Crunchyroll available in the UK. Slightly off topic, but are there any other animes in their library that I should check out, bearing in mind that the only animes I have ever liked are Jojo's and Cowboy BeBop?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's pretty nice to read the reactions of people who have are relatively new to the series.

Mercrom posted:

I don't know how to feel about Stands though. Instead of the characters having regular superhero super powers they have some sort of ghost Pokemon. It doesn't yet look like the totally brilliant thing people kept talking about in the old thread.

Since JoJo came first, it's more like Pokemon are animal Stands.

Like some others said, Stands will be shown to be a lot better over time. For a lot of Stardust Crusaders, it is kind of "here's a person, here's their Stand that has unusual powers, fight", but in subsequent parts it really starts to hit it's stride as Stands(and thus the fights) become more elaborate and complicated.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Mercrom posted:

They already showed the ultimate ripple technique of stuffing a ripple infused bird in a girls mouth so that it would fly out when and attack your enemy when he tried to kiss her. Where do you go from there? The first stand fight is punch man vs fire bird, but since everyone has a different stand it forces Araki to get a bit more creative as it goes on. It gets a lot more interesting when the stands are apparently unbeatable and they have to figure out the exact mechanics to find a loophole in how the stand works or trick the opponent into opening up a weakness. When you get to the point where (Part 7 Spoiler) a stand that can blow on nails to turn them into balloon animal attack dogs fights the stand that can melt, store and reform flesh with an aerosol can try saying that the ripple is cooler.

CJ fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 5, 2014

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Mercrom posted:

Stands are much more (and much less) than weird psychic Pokemon. It's something that doesn't get stated outright but becomes apparent early on throughout the series, but stands are not self-conscious creatures with agency but rather (body) parts of their owner. Their unique, weird, and often incredibly specific abilities are a lot of fun as well, and I hope the series will include some of the more fun "monster of the week" fights.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Jojo is back, life is good.

I wonder if they're just teasing us not showing Joseph's stand yet or if it's like that because it's not as strong as Jotaro's and Egiptian guy's stands.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
What do you mean? He showed his stand and how it worked at the end of the episode. As for actually using it for not picture stuff that comes later anyway.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
Those purple vines that came out of his hand are his Stand. :eng101:

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

CJ posted:

They already showed the ultimate ripple technique of stuffing a ripple infused in a girls mouth so that it would fly out when and attack your enemy when he tried to kiss her. Where do you go from there? The first stand fight is punch man vs fire bird, but since everyone has a different stand it forces Araki to get a bit more creative as it goes on. It gets a lot more interesting when the stands are apparently unbeatable and they have to figure out the exact mechanics to find a loophole in how the stand works or trick the opponent into opening up a weakness. When you get to the point where (Part 7 Spoiler) a stand that can blow on nails to turn them into balloon animal attack dogs fights the stand that can melt, store and reform flesh with an aerosol can try saying that the ripple is cooler.
The Ripple is basically really crazy kung fu magic which is what I liked about it. What you're describing seems more like a bit crazier twist on X-men/Marvel, which is fine too, but something I'm more exposed to because it's a million times more common in the west. It's kinda disappointing to see yet another guy whose power is to control fire.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
All I have to say to that is "keep watching." You might think a Stand seems lame or useless at first, but the real draw is what they can do with their Stands. Your initial reaction might be "that's it?" But then you go "wait, he can do THAT with it?!"

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mercrom posted:

The Ripple is basically really crazy kung fu magic which is what I liked about it. What you're describing seems more like a bit crazier twist on X-men/Marvel, which is fine too, but something I'm more exposed to because it's a million times more common in the west. It's kinda disappointing to see yet another guy whose power is to control fire.

See, that's what we're saying. The powers are gonna get a lot more varied and unusual as time goes on. I must say, though, crazy kung fu magic is pretty dime a dozen.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Purple D. Link posted:

Those purple vines that came out of his hand are his Stand. :eng101:

Oh, I thought it was just a little part of it. I guess not every stand is some dude :downs:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Some stands are simple, some are complicated, some are outright insane, and some are Araki expressing his love for the horror genre.

You will find something to like about stands after a while. As someone who never cared about the Ripple as Kung fu magic is the most typical thing in shonen manga, I readily welcomed stands when they first appeared.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Mercrom posted:

Which is funny, because the ripple is the way more generic anime power, with the exception that's it exists as a vampire killing power up rather than generic power up. Stands are pretty different from other "this is my super power" devices, but you gotta let it settle in. Especially the villains will have very unusual or creative powers that'll surprise you. If you're afraid this will be too similar to other things you've seen, DO NOT WORRY. This is JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, after all.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Symbolic Butt posted:

Oh, I thought it was just a little part of it. I guess not every stand is some dude :downs:
The majority are, but they come in many different forms. There are some I say are cheating for Araki to call Stands, since they come off more like random super powers and don't have any visible manifestation. It makes me wonder if there are mutants in the JJBA world and people think they are Stands because that's what they are used to.

hoobajoo posted:

This is JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, after all.

I thought it was JaJa's Kooky Quest? drat, I'm in the wrong thread!

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 5, 2014

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

WickedHate posted:

There are some I say are cheating for Araki to call Stands, since they come off more like random super powers and don't have any visible manifestation.

You fool! This whole thread is my stand!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

One of the most fun things about Stands is that as the series goes on, you see a lot of stands that come off as utterly useless in theory but end up being absolutely loving terrifying in practice because of how they're used, and the remainder of that is Stands with absolutely batshit powers.

That said, people fresh to Stardust Crusaders should probably understand going in that its a prime example of the Watchmen Clause, in that basically everyone in Japan with more than a passing interest in Shounen manga has read it and a lot of what Stardust Crusaders did ended up influencing later, more mainstream works, so you have to be aware that a fair amount of what might come off as cliche was Araki breaking new ground at the time. Jotaro in particular is basically a prototype for hundreds of shounen protagonists that came later.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Mercrom posted:

I was originally worried when I first heard about Stands/the apparent phasing out of the Ripple but my fears have completely subsided already. Maybe I'm just easily impressed by punch man vs fire bird though.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

I haven't seen Stardust Crusaders before in any form, so I was very curious to see the first episode, given that this appears to be the most iconic arc or at least the most iconic Jojo in popular culture.

Ep 1 of Stardust Crusaders was good. I liked the voice acting, the "bam!" sound effects and the animation in general. I did miss Tomokazu Sugita as Joseph, but I do think that he would have had trouble voicing an old man for that long, and the new guy is good. Jotaro seemed perfectly voice acted, insofar as I can tell as someone who hasn't read the manga or watched the OAVs. Takehito Koyasu as Dio was even better than I remembered. I think Dio's going to be great. The almost lazy, casual way he decided that he'd have to deal with the Joestars was fun.

Jotaro seemed okay as a protagonist, and I think his more cool/laid-back/understated reactions could be an interesting contrast to Jonathon when he's dealing with Dio later. I look forward to Dio getting to meet him. Jotaro's sigh when he was told about the big old plot exposition by Joseph gave him a bit of style. What I don't like is the way he talks to his mother, but given her reaction to it and the fact that really having a protagonist who's a jerk to his nice mother all the time makes one hard to like, I can only assume that he really is a caring son and that Holly feels very secure about that. I don't really get why Jotaro decided to go to prison where he's surrounded by people instead of going to a deserted countryside area or something like that, but at least the prison scene and the things his stand brought to him were amusing. Jotaro's excellent posing ability also deserves to be recognised.

I found it higly implausible that both Holly and Jotaro didn't know about their star-shaped birthmarks until Joseph mentioned it, but okay. Some of the plot exposition came out of nowhere too. I adore Joseph's stand and the fact it requires him to wreck expensive cameras. Avdol I'm going to reserve judgement on. His and Jotaro's stands were beautifully animated, but I was a little disappointed about Jotaro's stand. Maybe it was its expression or something. I'm sure I'll get to like it later. Holly was an interesting character. She reminds me a bit of both of her parents, and though I'm ambivalent about some of her traits, she's still pretty endearing (imagining the worst about Jotaro but still claiming he's a really sweet boy, having the sense to call in help, hugging her family like a limpet...).

My strongest impressions from this ep were "Joseph is great!" and "I want to watch Battle Tendency again!" so I can't say that ep 1 of Stardust Crusaders was everything I wanted, but I liked it. Maybe Battle Tendency is always going to be my favourite arc. I still expect very good things from Stardust Crusaders.

Van Dine fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 5, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Reminder folks wanting to discuss manga material from the 'future': We have a separate thread where you can talk about all things JoJo without spoiler tags to your hearts content! Please keep the future discussion to a minimum, and limit manga discussion to stuff already covered in the show.

It's not a big deal by any means, spoilers really do not matter all that much for JoJo as a franchise, but let's all be good sports for those who are watching Stardust Crusaders for the first time and wish to experience it completely fresh. Again, it's not like we don't have another convenient place that you can post it in instead!

I'd really would rather not have to probate people over something as inconsequential as this, but I also don't want 'new people' avoiding reading this thread because they'd rather not be spoiled. New blood is a precious thing. New people reacting to classic things rules.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 5, 2014

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Specifically I'd like people to be able to say "gosh I wonder what this is about?!" and not have the thread explode with "you'll see :smug:" of course they will, but poo poo half the fun of watching something is trying to figure out what's up without someone pushing their glasses up their nose and going "well it becomes clear that..."

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
The abilities in part 3 might be a bit more mundane then in later ones, but those mundane powers are used in really clever ways. It's only the first episode and the concept literally just got explained, give it a second ya'll

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
I started rereading the Stardust Crusaders manga in anticipation of the anime, and I was a bit surprised to see they followed it almost panel by panel. I would have expected they might skip a couple of minor scenes, but obviously this is a labor of love and we're going to get every battle, no matter how minor. I can't wait for the story to get going for real, it's going to be a good pain waiting a week for another episode.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I think it was less "gosh I wonder what this is about?!" and more "gee that is a bit disappointing..." followed by "It gets way better!".

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I am going to spend the entire series trying to crack the code on where Jotaro's hat ends and his hair begins.:eng101:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So how in the world did Joseph figure out how his stand worked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Momomo posted:

So how in the world did Joseph figure out how his stand worked?

Most users seem to just sort of know.

• Locked thread