Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

OssiansFolly posted:

Okay, so I have a statistics question for my EDH deck.

I have to cut a few cards and I am looking at the cost vs. rewards of each card heavily. In my Grand Arbiter deck I currently have a Stoneforge Mystic maindeck. I only have 2 equipment cards being Lightning Greaves and I am tossing up between Darksteel Plate and Whisper Silk Cloak (it will likely be the Darksteel Plate).

With only 2 equipment cards would it be worth it to keep the Stoneforge Mystic? I know it would technically increase the odds of me getting those 2 pieces of equipment on the field, but does it increase the odds enough to justify keeping Stoneforge Mystic over something else? Opinions? Thoughts?

Here is where the deck currently sits.

Is this primarily multi-player or 1-on-1? If it's multi-player you're gonna get wrecked by sheer politics.

And yeah drop Stoneforge Mystic. It's not worth it for only 2 pieces of equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Is this primarily multi-player or 1-on-1? If it's multi-player you're gonna get wrecked by sheer politics.

And yeah drop Stoneforge Mystic. It's not worth it for only 2 pieces of equipment.

We rarely play multiplayer, but we also don't follow the French Rules. My deck can't be worse than the Zur deck...

I will move Stoneforge Mystic to the sideboard then.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

OssiansFolly posted:

Okay, so I have a statistics question for my EDH deck.

I have to cut a few cards and I am looking at the cost vs. rewards of each card heavily. In my Grand Arbiter deck I currently have a Stoneforge Mystic maindeck. I only have 2 equipment cards being Lightning Greaves and I am tossing up between Darksteel Plate and Whisper Silk Cloak (it will likely be the Darksteel Plate).

With only 2 equipment cards would it be worth it to keep the Stoneforge Mystic? I know it would technically increase the odds of me getting those 2 pieces of equipment on the field, but does it increase the odds enough to justify keeping Stoneforge Mystic over something else? Opinions? Thoughts?

Here is where the deck currently sits.

No. Do not cut Stoneforge Mystic. Getting Lightning Greaves or Darksteel Plate is no joke and he is good card advantage. Even if he dies, you basically got to play a 1W equipment tutor. In 100 card singleton that's amazing. I would even throw in Sword of Fire and Ice or something to make it even better. Consider this: Run Grand Arbiter out onto the field, play an equipment like a Sword or Batterskull and equip him, play Cataclysm. That would surely be game.

GAIV is far inferior to Zur however, with Zur's banning GAIV gets better significantly.

If you're playing 1v1 a lot play cards like Darksteel Mutation, Journey to Nowhere, Faith's Fetters, Venser the Sojourner, Detention Sphere ... those swords of things. He should be a prison of unanswerable strain.

Null1fy fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 3, 2014

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Null1fy posted:

No. Do not cut Stoneforge Mystic. Getting Lightning Greaves or Darksteel Plate is no joke and he is good card advantage. Even if he dies, you basically got to play a 1W equipment tutor. In 100 card singleton that's amazing. I would even throw in Sword of Fire and Ice or something to make it even better. Consider this: Run Grand Arbiter out onto the field, play an equipment like a Sword or Batterskull and equip him, play Cataclysm. That would surely be game.

This. I play Avacyn EDH, and Stoneforge will never get cut despite not fitting the Angel Tribal theme. She's too drat good, especially when there are only so many tutors in white (in my case I run Mystic, Enlightened Tutor, and Quest for the Holy Relic SPECIFICALLY to fetch Worldslayer because I'm an rear end in a top hat sometimes).

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

BaronVonVaderham posted:

This. I play Avacyn EDH, and Stoneforge will never get cut despite not fitting the Angel Tribal theme. She's too drat good, especially when there are only so many tutors in white (in my case I run Mystic, Enlightened Tutor, and Quest for the Holy Relic SPECIFICALLY to fetch Worldslayer because I'm an rear end in a top hat sometimes).

In my Tajic deck I run stuff like this. Get equipment out and then get Tajic on the board so I can wipe it and Voltron him for a win. In the Grand Arbitor deck I am just looking to control the cost of everything for everyone but me. I just don't know what to cut in the deck to make room for what I am trying to do.

Null1fy posted:

GAIV is far inferior to Zur however, with Zur's banning GAIV gets better significantly.

If you're playing 1v1 a lot play cards like Darksteel Mutation, Journey to Nowhere, Faith's Fetters, Venser the Sojourner, Detention Sphere ... those swords of things. He should be a prison of unanswerable strain.

I'd love to include all these cards but I just can't find the room...I am already 5 cards over and struggle to get it down that many. I want to control mana base more than creatures. If I can control mana and give everything upkeep then I don't need as much removal.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

OssiansFolly posted:

In my Tajic deck I run stuff like this. Get equipment out and then get Tajic on the board so I can wipe it and Voltron him for a win. In the Grand Arbitor deck I am just looking to control the cost of everything for everyone but me. I just don't know what to cut in the deck to make room for what I am trying to do.

It's even more dickish with Avacyn since I get to keep EVERYTHING! It's game 100% of the time.

People complain about it sometimes, but I think it's totally fair play. If you let me get Avacyn out, fetch the sword, play it, equip it, and connect for damage....you had pleny of time to disrupt my plan, you will lose everything and LIKE IT!

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

BaronVonVaderham posted:

It's even more dickish with Avacyn since I get to keep EVERYTHING! It's game 100% of the time.

People complain about it sometimes, but I think it's totally fair play. If you let me get Avacyn out, fetch the sword, play it, equip it, and connect for damage....you had pleny of time to disrupt my plan, you will lose everything and LIKE IT!

With Tajic I usually attack with everything, wipe the board with Wrath of God or any of the other board wipes I have, and then play Faith's Reward if I don't have Avacyn out. Nothing makes people sadder than killing my stuff THEN having it all come back.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

OssiansFolly posted:

Here's what I do to make final cuts: I go through every card and ask myself if I'll always, or almost always, be happy to see it when I draw it. You'd be surprised at how easy some cuts become. :)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Elephant Ambush posted:

Here's what I do to make final cuts: I go through every card and ask myself if I'll always, or almost always, be happy to see it when I draw it. You'd be surprised at how easy some cuts become. :)

I did this with my Sisay deck, it works. Especially if you have a tutor general, you can ask yourself "under what circumstances would I tutor for this?", though I know that's not the kind of deck you're running.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

But from that perspective if I see Stoneforge I will only be happy if I don't have either gear on the board. And once it is out and I get that piece of gear out it becomes less useful. I think I'd rather have Enlightened Tutor that will give me a chance to get the equipment OR an enchant.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

OssiansFolly posted:

But from that perspective if I see Stoneforge I will only be happy if I don't have either gear on the board. And once it is out and I get that piece of gear out it becomes less useful. I think I'd rather have Enlightened Tutor that will give me a chance to get the equipment OR an enchant.

You should be running both.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

You should be running both.

I just can't find room for both...I kind of have to choose the BEST of the 2. The creature aspect of Stoneforge does little for me as I have plenty of better creature when it comes to abilities and damage. I would really only want her for the Equipment.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

OssiansFolly posted:

I just can't find room for both...I kind of have to choose the BEST of the 2. The creature aspect of Stoneforge does little for me as I have plenty of better creature when it comes to abilities and damage. I would really only want her for the Equipment.

I'm of the opinion that any W/x deck that hinges around any kind of equipment should be running Enlightened Tutor, Stoneforge Mystic, and Stonehewer Giant. But if you can only run 1, I would say Enlightened Tutor just because it can search for Sol Ring if nothing else.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

OssiansFolly posted:

Except that in a 100-card, singleton format, you really do want a certain level of redundancy in your cards, including tutors. Her ability also gets around counter magic, which is useful against opponents running blue.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

I'm of the opinion that any W/x deck that hinges around any kind of equipment should be running Enlightened Tutor, Stoneforge Mystic, and Stonehewer Giant. But if you can only run 1, I would say Enlightened Tutor just because it can search for Sol Ring if nothing else.

But thats the thing...the deck doesn't "hinge" on the equipment. I'd like to get it out so that I have some semblence of protection, but it isn't a win-con.

bhsman posted:

Except that in a 100-card, singleton format, you really do want a certain level of redundancy in your cards, including tutors. Her ability also gets around counter magic, which is useful against opponents running blue.

And I get that. I have lots of redundancy for the control aspect of the deck. The equipment is a lesser factor in the deck which is why I was thinking Stoneforge wasn't as necessary and why I didn't have an Enlightened Tutor. The deck is more about stalling out than ramping up, so I should just be buying time not trying to rush to an ultimate goal.

I guess what I am trying to still figure out is what should be removed to make room for Stoneforge Mystic and/or Enlightened Tutor? And, does it even make sense in the grand scheme of the deck and its goals?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

AlternateNu posted:

He said he only has 2 equipment cards in his deck, which means Stoneforge can safely go. She's not going to do a whole lot of work for him in the long run. Enlightened Tutor is way better for his deck.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

He said he only has 2 equipment cards in his deck, which means Stoneforge can safely go. She's not going to do a whole lot of work for him in the long run. Enlightened Tutor is way better for his deck.

Stoneforge Mystic is a reason to play MORE equipment. Genuinely asking, but have you ever played with Stoneforge Mystic? It's very powerful. I would run both.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

ScarletBrother posted:

Stoneforge Mystic is a reason to play MORE equipment. Genuinely asking, but have you ever played with Stoneforge Mystic? It's very powerful. I would run both.

And I repeat, Mystic is worth it if only because she can get around counter magic with her ability.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

bhsman posted:

And I repeat, Mystic is worth it if only because she can get around counter magic with her ability.

Exactly. Instant speed, uncounterable Batterskull or Jitte is pretty boss.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

ScarletBrother posted:

I don't disagree with anything anyone has said but the fact that he only has 2 total equipment cards in the entire deck means that he won't get the most out of her, and he won't be happy to draw her late-game.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

ScarletBrother posted:

Exactly. Instant speed, uncounterable Batterskull or Jitte is pretty boss.

I'm not arguing that it is a bad card. In my/BHS' Tajic deck which focuses on getting him out and going Voltron I run it and Enlightened Tutor and Stonehewer Giant and everything else that can get me equipment. In this deck (and you can scroll up to see the link to the deck) it isn't about getting equipment but rather getting out artifacts. If I can get out artifacts this game will crawl to a slow halt for the enemy and put me in a good position. The TWO pieces of equipment I have are really there to protect something that would be nice to have on the field (probably the Commander), but neither solidify a win for me like the rest of the pieces of the team. If I keep Stoneforge Mystic then I have to get rid of something else, and I think from a control stand point there are other creatures that offer a lot more when it comes to that aspect of play.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Play the Stoneforge if you have it. It's incredibly strong, since 1W is an ok cost to tutor for an equipment, let alone the fact that it plops any equipment on the board for 1W afterwards. It doesn't matter that there's only a couple equipment in the deck (play more), it's still card advantage and that's never bad.

Don't listen to the grognards saying "B-b-b-but there's only 2 equipments :qq:."

E: Also Mana Web sucks, since your opponent can just tap out Main 1/2 and not worry about it. Sure, it means they choose between making plays on their turn or casting instants on yours, but it's a pretty mediocre effect compared to stuff like Winter Orb. Spectral Searchlight is also strictly worse than Chromatic Lantern since mana burn no longer exists.

Mikujin fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 4, 2014

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Mikujin posted:

Play the Stoneforge if you have it. It's incredibly strong, since 1W is an ok cost to tutor for an equipment, let alone the fact that it plops any equipment on the board for 1W afterwards. It doesn't matter that there's only a couple equipment in the deck (play more), it's still card advantage and that's never bad.

Don't listen to the grognards saying "B-b-b-but there's only 2 equipments :qq:."

Okay, but if that is the case what gets removed to make room for that? A mana generator? A control device? One of the creatures that does something past the immediate turn it comes into play? I am open to advice on what else to remove...

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

OssiansFolly posted:

Okay, but if that is the case what gets removed to make room for that? A mana generator? A control device? One of the creatures that does something past the immediate turn it comes into play? I am open to advice on what else to remove...

I just looked at the actual deck. You want more sweepers (ie. Day of Judgement, Planar Cleansing) since this doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot before turns 4/5/6 aside from hoping to drop a mana rock I guess. This means you need redundancy in your ability to lock down the board.

You probably want to drop expensive cards that don't have immediate impact on the game or board (ie. Sphinx Ambassador, Mirror-Sigil Sergeant), since you'll want to get immediate value out of your cards when you play them, since you're going to be waiting until you've got a lock before you clutter up the board. Consider bringing in more 2-3 drops that can more reliably ramp you to big things (Myr, for example, can slot in), or more/better removal (Oblivion Ring, Detention Sphere) to help you deal with early threats if you don't get a Wrath to clear the way.

Since you're going to want to be playing a bunch of sweepers, you'll want stuff that helps you get your stuff back. Even a singleton Elixir of Immortality can get the job done, since you'll be sweeping away your opponents' stuff and locking the board down anyways.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Mikujin posted:

grognards

"B-b-b-but

:qq:."

:irony:

I'm OK with being wrong here but you're being a dick and a hypocrite about it.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
There's been some discussion about Enchantress in the Eternal thread lately, and that got me thinking about porting the modern Bogle Enchantment deck to legacy. After some searching, I decided to go with a Living Wish subtheme to get more access to some of the great sideboard answers GW has. I'm not sure about the land count, I'm thinking it might be higher but I'm not sure what to cut, and I want to hold onto the Lotus Petals to suit up something quickly on Turn 1. Let me know what you think:

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
FNM Rakdos Aggro trip report. First time playing constructed

Plenty of time to browse forums between rounds.

Round 1 went 2-0 against Bant control
First game took 4 turns, second took 6. I had to ask him what his deck was because all I saw of it was scry lands and an elixir of immortality.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Nothing major to report so far on Izzet Spellheart from LightReaper, but here are my notes so far:

I made a crappy build on MODO to get used to the deck overall and all I learned was that Aetherize/Disperse/Essence Scatter aren't really any good compared to Mizzium Mortars and Cyclonic Rift. No brainer. Prognostic Sphinx is neat, Scry 3 is very good in this deck but overall it isn't in the same league as Aetherling.

Got to play 2 rounds casual at the shop tonight with the real version. I decided to run the full 4 Guildgates in mine based on mana ratio math. Didn't cause any issues so far.

First was against a weird WBr aggro deck and I lost the first game quite handily but I think I just didn't draw a particularly good mixture of spells. Game 2 (no board) he didn't draw any land so nothing there.

Then I did a proper match against GW. Experiment One, Voice, Smiter, Advent, Call of the Conclave, all of that. Game 1 I used Young Pyromancer tokens (drew 3 YPs) to hold off long enough to win a race against his big guys.

Sided out YP, Guttersnipe and Quicken, brought in 3 Anger, 2 Fated, 3 Searing Blood. In the beginning I hold him off. I have to play through 2 Voices and an Advent, but I have a hand full of burn. He gets me all the way down to 4 when I stablize away the 2 Voice tokens and a third thing with Anger of the Gods. I tap out for Aetherling because his board is clear and I need to make sure I have a blocker and what the hell removal is he going to have for GW? He uses Selesnya Charm to pump Aetherling then a second charm to exile it. Then next round he plays Advent and I use double Izzet Charm to counter.

So we're both in top-deck mode, but for real. My Aetherling was gone so I literally just had the 4 Spellheart Chimera in my deck as my win-con. Still, everything in my deck is gas because I only ever have to do 1-for-1. Finally we both have like 15 lands out and I get the Spellheart. He's on 14 because of 2 early Searing Bloods, I'm still on 4. I drop it and he casts the card he's been holding for a few turns: Plummet. SURPRISE I cast Turn on my dude to make it an 0/1 without flying and counter his spell. Then I swing in for 16 because that's how many spells were in my graveyard.

I love the deck and am excited to play it in the league on Sunday. I am also excited to finally get the drat scry lands in the last set, plus see if Keranos can add anything.

I'd say we should try something else instead of Quicken in that slot. I cycled it 3 times on the night and did not really like seeing it. But I don't know what would be the best to add.

Boco_T fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 5, 2014

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Elephant Ambush posted:

People play it in legacy with only one or two equipments. Granted, those equipments are a little better than boots.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Boco_T posted:

Nothing major to report so far on Izzet Spellheart from LightReaper, but here are my notes so far:

I made a crappy build on MODO to get used to the deck overall and all I learned was that Aetherize/Disperse/Essence Scatter aren't really any good compared to Mizzium Mortars and Cyclonic Rift. No brainer. Prognostic Sphinx is neat, Scry 3 is very good in this deck but overall it isn't in the same league as Aetherling.

Got to play 2 rounds casual at the shop tonight with the real version. I decided to run the full 4 Guildgates in mine based on mana ratio math. Didn't cause any issues so far.

First was against a weird WBr aggro deck and I lost the first game quite handily but I think I just didn't draw a particularly good mixture of spells. Game 2 (no board) he didn't draw any land so nothing there.

Then I did a proper match against GW. Experiment One, Voice, Smiter, Advent, Call of the Conclave, all of that. Game 1 I used Young Pyromancer tokens (drew 3 YPs) to hold off long enough to win a race against his big guys.

Sided out YP, Guttersnipe and Quicken, brought in 3 Anger, 2 Fated, 3 Searing Blood. In the beginning I hold him off. I have to play through 2 Voices and an Advent, but I have a hand full of burn. He gets me all the way down to 4 when I stablize away the 2 Voice tokens and a third thing with Anger of the Gods. I tap out for Aetherling because his board is clear and I need to make sure I have a blocker and what the hell removal is he going to have for GW? He uses Selesnya Charm to pump Aetherling then a second charm to exile it. Then next round he plays Advent and I use double Izzet Charm to counter.

So we're both in top-deck mode, but for real. My Aetherling was gone so I literally just had the 4 Spellheart Chimera in my deck as my win-con. Still, everything in my deck is gas because I only ever have to do 1-for-1. Finally we both have like 15 lands out and I get the Spellheart. He's on 14 because of 2 early Searing Bloods, I'm still on 4. I drop it and he casts the card he's been holding for a few turns: Plummet. SURPRISE I cast Turn on my dude to make it an 0/1 without flying and counter his spell. Then I swing in for 16 because that's how many spells were in my graveyard.

I love the deck and am excited to play it in the league on Sunday. I am also excited to finally get the drat scry lands in the last set, plus see if Keranos can add anything.

I'd say we should try something else instead of Quicken in that slot. I cycled it 3 times on the night and did not really like seeing it. But I don't know what would be the best to add.

I got the pieces to make a spellheart deck but havent tried it yet. I thought about only running chimeras, 2 prog sphinxes, and 1 aetherling as my wincons, then filling the slots with counters/control. Seems like a fun deck.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

MMD3 posted:

FNM Rakdos Aggro trip report. First time playing constructed

Plenty of time to browse forums between rounds.

Round 1 went 2-0 against Bant control
First game took 4 turns, second took 6. I had to ask him what his deck was because all I saw of it was scry lands and an elixir of immortality.

Could you please post the list? I'm an aggro player and I'd love to see this.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
This is the latest one he's posted in the thread:

I'm interested in building it myself and seeing how it goes. No idea if anything's been changed since posting, though.

Alris fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 5, 2014

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

First time in this thread.

I'm working on... well, it's kind of a mill deck? Although instead of relying on mill it's using it to fill the graveyard with things for scavenging ooze or outright life lose from Duskmantle Guildmage. An actual mill strategy is maybe third behind the combo kill or creature kill.

BUG Graveyard Combo (Don't call it a Mill Deck)

This thing is really basic (you can see how I've just added a bunch of cards to the sideboard) and in the early stages... basically using the counters to ensure card draw and mana, as well as keeping things somewhat credible (also, if you have the mana available you can spend some counters to save something from an elspeth).

I haven't really seen this deck anywhere else (I'd love to see how someone else does it) and because it doesn't rely on mill for a kill condition (the milling is either for targets for scooze, potentially a whip, Lazav, and the death by Duskmantle).

Right now I think it's a kind-of fun FNM deck, but obviously there's some (a lot of) room for improvement. With BUG for our wheel there's a whole range of stuff that would work well with this (I really wanted the Precinct Six Wight, but it seems like the deck is a bit saturated at the 2-drop point), including draw, disruption and several kill conditions. Where should I be focusing here?

Dick Milhous Rock! fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 5, 2014

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheOneOutside posted:

First time in this thread.

I'm working on... well, it's kind of a mill deck? Although instead of relying on mill it's using it to fill the graveyard with things for scavenging ooze or outright life lose from Duskmantle Guildmage. An actual mill strategy is maybe third behind the combo kill or creature kill.

BUG Graveyard Combo (Don't call it a Mill Deck)

This thing is really basic (you can see how I've just added a bunch of cards to the sideboard) and in the early stages... basically using the counters to ensure card draw and mana, as well as keeping things somewhat credible (also, if you have the mana available you can spend some counters to save something from an elspeth).

I haven't really seen this deck anywhere else (I'd love to see how someone else does it) and because it doesn't rely on mill for a kill condition (the milling is either for targets for scooze, potentially a whip, Lazav, and the death by Duskmantle).

Right now I think it's a kind-of fun FNM deck, but I think there's some room for improvement. With BUG for our wheel there's a whole range of stuff that would work well with this (I really wanted the Precinct Six Wight, but it seems like the deck is a bit saturated at the 2-drop point), including draw, disruption and several kill conditions. Where should I be focusing here?

Your deck seems expensive and kinda unfocused. There's a ton of stuff that costs 4+ and no ramp. You're kinda going for counters on your dudes and kinda going for mill and kinda going for a little control and not really doing any of it. I actually don't really see the point of the mill at all? Anything Breaking can do for you, Grisly Salvage and Commune with the Gods do better and at instant speed/easier to cast, respectively. Basically, if you want to play mill, play mill. Don't get cute with it and mill yourself except for when you're not milling yourself anymore.

BUG can be pretty good in standard, but you really need to focus on one thing. Give/Take and Burst of Strength are pretty much just not good. You're not really playing a deck that wants 3 (or probably any) Mill Jaces. Lazav is pretty bad in a straight Dimir mill deck, let alone in a 3 color deck with no fixing. Generally you want the Black/Golgari removal and the blue tempo/control. As it is, you're not really doing much with your blue that couldn't be done without it. If they resolve a god weapon, Golgari Charm/Putrefy/Abrupt Decay it. Unravel the Aether for gods. If you're deadset on the 1/1 counter route, I'd stick to Golgari or maybe BGu for Cloudfin and co. Lol Troll is really, really good, especially with the Whip. So is ScOoze. Maybe look into those 1/1 GB hybrid with Scavenge for 0? Slitherhead, I think? Gyre Sage should just be Caryatid. It can actually block and unconditionally adds as much mana as she ever will.

The first thing I'd do is go through every card and ask,"do I need another card for this to be a card I want to cast?" If so, it's probably not good. Then look at your other cards listed and ask if any of those cards with the same or less casting cost are as good or better. Synergy is really good to have, parasitism is not. For example: Duskmantle Guildmage, Corpsejack Menace, Lazav, Give/Take, Burst of Strength, and to a slightly lesser extent Zameck Guildmage are all pretty worthless on their own. Consuming Aberration is contrary to your goal of milling yourself. Phenax really doesn't have enough high toughness dudes to be useful. Compare Phenax or Consuming Aberration's 5 mana mill a few cards effect to Kalonian Hydra's win in a turn or 2 5 mana effect.

Deathrites and Nighthowlers both seem like good fits here. Deathrite also has the added benefit of being played in every legacy deck ever built, so he's only ever going up in price.

For the closest comparison I know of, I made a Junk Reanimator deck which isn't very good, but it's a ton of fun and can theoretically go off pretty fast. The idea is pretty simple; ramp hard, bin dudes with Grisly Salvage, Commune with the Gods, Lol Troll, and/or the Satyr, and abuse their ETB effects with Whip or Rescue.

http://deckbox.org/sets/631523

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

Er, the point of the deck isn't to mill itself, it's to fill up the opponent's graveyard. Sorry if I didn't explain all that well.

Duskmantle is there for essentially a quick kill (an activation of it's first ability and a single Jace 0 will do ten. Traumatize is almost certainly a kill). Lazav is a one-of (partially for devotion reasons). Phenax is there for similar reasons, as you're not trying to mill the opponent, it's the cards going to his graveyard that will kill him from the Duskmantle effect. The Prophet is there to double up on that and also leave you untapped during an opponent's turn, presumably to continue drawing if possible.

Give/Take there is for the counters. You can double them from the Corpsejack, use them on a gyre for more mana, pump a creature that can then be used to draw cards later, or alternately drawing several cards for 2U. Breaking and Beck just didn't seem like they gave as many options. I choose it because of all the things that work with counters I had planned on putting in. Same thing with Burst of Strength. Leaving a +1/+1 counter just seemed better with what was going on with the guildmages and gyres. If I drop the gyres having easy counters become less important, I guess. Maybe more removal can come in there?

The caryatid for the gyre sage is probably something I should do, but I wanted to try out the sage a little. It seemed like it was working well, if a lot more vulnerable. Prophet works as a kind of ramp once you have her out (Mostly I just didn't want to start swapping cards back and forth between decks).

Yeah, more removal was part of the reason I went for BUG, so I should probably knock a Jace and the Lazav for putrefy. Abrupt Decay and Golgari charm were certainly going to end up in the sideboard (what's there now is kind of a mess, as I was just marking things from the pool of cards I was tinkering with). Switching to Caryatids, dropping Lazav (maybe a sideboard?) My sideboard was probably going to be abrupt decays, golgari charms, witchstalker, gaze of granite, unravel the aether, pithing needle and mistcutter hydra. Maybe some Plummets, Thoughtseize or Arbor Colossus?

I'm not sure Nighthowler would work well because to really get it going I'd already need cards in a graveyard. It seems like if I were going for the 3-drop Courser of Kruphix might be better, especially if I need ramp. I guess I could try swapping out one of the five-drops for Nighthowlers? Does that sound right?

Dick Milhous Rock! fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Apr 5, 2014

MaverickSWAT
Feb 17, 2011
So my deck has been getting wrecked by R/W burn. I've been thinking of what to cut, but I'd like some help deciding on what to cut and what to replace the cut cards with.

Deck: Esper Midrange

//Lands
4 Godless Shrine
4 Hallowed Fountain
3 Temple of Deceit
4 Temple of Enlightenment
4 Temple of Silence
4 Watery Grave

//Spells
2 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
4 Detention Sphere
2 Doom Blade
2 Hero's Downfall
2 Sphinx's Revelation
2 Whip of Erebos

//Creatures
2 Blood Baron of Vizkopa
3 Desecration Demon
1 Erebos, God of the Dead
2 Imposing Sovereign
4 Lyev Skyknight
4 Nightveil Specter
1 Obzedat, Ghost Council
4 Soldier of the Pantheon
2 Thassa, God of the Sea

//Sideboard
3 Supreme Verdict
2 Pharika's Cure
2 Tidebinder Mage
2 Woodlot Crawler
1 Notion Thief
1 Renounce the Guilds
1 Obzedat, Ghost Council
1 Glare of Heresy
2 Lifebane Zombie

Display deck statistics

I've been thinking to cutting the whips as against burn they aren't fast enough and they seem kind of redundant with Blood Baron and Obzedat. I was also thinking of replacing the Lyev Skynights with Judge's Familiars.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Why are you running ashiok? Seems to do nothing with the rest of your deck?

Why are you running Imposing Sovereign if it isnt an aggro deck?

Why are you running 4 Soldier of the pantheon if it isn't an aggro deck and you have 12 scrylands to take up t1?

Also don't know why youre running thassa in an esper deck, doesn't seem like you'll benefit from it that much. Haven't seen anyone else doing that at least.

You seem to be all over the place. Ive been playing r/w burn for a month or so and midrange decks can be somewhat difficult if they are set up right. Blood baron cant be hit with chained to the rocks or Warleader's helix so they can be difficult to remove. A single whip isnt a bad idea vs burn depending on your other creatures and combos with obzedat well. If youre going to be esper midrange, you need to be able to use your control options to buy you time to stabilize. Burn starts running out of steam around t5-6 so if you stabilize and start gaining life it can be difficult for burn to keep up.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I think Ephara has taken over for Thassa in that style of Esper deck. MTGTop8 has quite a few configurations from recent MTGO tourneys and GP Bejing, where I think the deck placed third.

Edit: Yes, thank you.

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 6, 2014

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

Snacksmaniac posted:

I think Ephara has taken over for Thassa in that style of Esper deck. MTGTop8 has quite a few configurations from recent MTGO tourneys and GP Bejing, where I think the deck placed third.

Is this the deck you are referring to?

http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=7027&d=240397&f=ST

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm trying to tweak my Simic Masters deck after playing a couple matches with it. They were both against random control decks, and I ended up losing by deckout by one of them just because I couldn't push enough damage through all their counters. Let me know what you guys think:

Creatures
4 x Omenspeaker
4 x Sylvan Caryatid
4 x Kiora's Follower
4 x Courser of Kruphix
4 x Master Biomancer
4 x Master of Waves
2 x Prophet of Kruphix
1 x Aetherling

Other Spells
4 x Simic Charm
1 x Cyclonic Rift
2 x Kiora, the Crashing Wave
2 x Jace, Architect of Thought

Lands
4 x Breeding Pool
4 x Temple of Mystery
2 x Mutavault
8 x Island
6 x Forest

I'm toying with Thassa, though she will almost never be active. Prognostic Sphinx, but I just think Prophet is a better 5 drop. The balance of Jace vs. Kiora. How many Omenspeaker to run: I need more low drop blue devotion in the deck...maybe Vaporkin or Cloudfin for a more aggressive strategy?

• Locked thread