Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
It looks like you're creating 2.5.1 as a branch and not a tag, though. Are you tagging it later on? I think if you have a branch and a tag with the same name it has issues with ambiguity when you try to checkout that ref.

code:
warning: refname '2.5.1' is ambigous.
Not sure what it would pick in this case, and I've never tried it myself. Other than that it looks like a reasonable approach.

For your second question, you can merge in the tag if you have a multiple engineers working on the branch:

code:
git checkout 2.6.0
git merge 2.5.1
If you alone are working on it and other people are not dependent on the state of 2.6.0 you can rebase it onto 2.5.1:

code:
git checkout 2.6.0
git merge 2.5.1
However, there is an even better way:

1. Master is the "stable" branch. In your case this would be 2.5.0 at the start.
2. Develop is the "unstable" branch. New work for 2.6.0 should be merged here when completed.
3. When you need to make bug fixes for 2.5.x you create a branch based off of master (or the tag, but master should always be the latest stable tag), do your testing with this branch, etc... When you're done with the fixes and they are verified you can merge that branch back into master and tag as 2.5.1.
4. To get changes into develop you have two options: (1) rebase develop onto master. As people should not be working directly on this branch it should not disrupt peoples flows. If someone working on a feature requires the bugfix they can now rebase on develop. (2) simply merge it into develop. The downside of this now develop will have a merge commit at a later point than master.

I personally like the first option under 4, but I think people have pretty varying opinions on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I was just gonna leave 2.5.1 as a branch and not tag it. I guess what I should have done was create a branch for 2.6.0 after releasing 2.5.0. At this point I've already merged stuff that is for 2.6.0 back into master, thinking that I was going to be able to tag 2.6.0 very soon and release it. Thanks for all the info, I think it makes sense now.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
The downside of leaving 2.5.1 as a branch is that it clutters up your list of branches forever. Sticking to tags for completed things and branches for things in progress improves the UI if nothing else.

My personal preference workflow-wise is to actively develop on master, create branches off tagged releases for hotfixes and just cherry-pick commits between branches as needed. If you were planning on releasing some point releases for 2.5 while working on 2.6, then just have a 2.5 branch that has applicable stuff cherry-picked over.

Plorkyeran fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 27, 2014

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

fletcher posted:

So two questions: (1) Is this an acceptable way of doing it? (2) How should I incorporate the changes made for 2.5.1 into 2.6.0?

1. Sure

2. `git cherry-pick`

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
edit: Answered my own question.

Woodsy Owl fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Mar 28, 2014

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Plorkyeran posted:

The downside of leaving 2.5.1 as a branch is that it clutters up your list of branches forever. Sticking to tags for completed things and branches for things in progress improves the UI if nothing else.

My personal preference workflow-wise is to actively develop on master, create branches off tagged releases for hotfixes and just cherry-pick commits between branches as needed. If you were planning on releasing some point releases for 2.5 while working on 2.6, then just have a 2.5 branch that has applicable stuff cherry-picked over.

I went back today and changed it to be like you described, makes a lot more sense now. It was a little scary rewriting history and cleaning everything up, but the end result looks great now. 2.5.1 is now a tag right after 2.5.0 and all of the 2.6.0-dev stuff is on a new branch, which will be merged back to master and tagged as 2.6.0 at release time. So thanks again to you and others for the advice! Fortunately I'm the only developer using this repo still :)

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Is there a way to move files between branches without doing the checkout first? Or maybe it would be better to explain what I'm trying to do and see if there is a better solution:
  • Work on some branch as usual.
  • "Build" the project, resulting in maybe some concatenated and/or minified javascript and some html.
  • Either the files or a directory containing these built files are ignored via gitignore.
  • "Move/copy" these files to an orphaned or "clean" production branch (probably gh-pages for github project page).
  • ????
  • Checkout production branch (gh-pages) and commit the new files.
  • Push and done...
Is there an elegant solution for this or perhaps a better workflow?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
You can't really do much to not-checked-out branches other than change the commit they point at. I recommend just having a second copy of the repo cloned which you use for updating the gh-pages branch with the built files.

gh-pages is not at all something git is designed to do.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

^^^^ This. And perhaps a script to go check out repo, build these files and rsync it together and commit it for ya.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
Anyone aware of a good pre-packaged talk (speaker's notes and slide deck) for introducing a team to Git?

I'm going to be doing that soon and figured why reinvent the wheel.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
That's a shame, but it's understandable. "Website deployment" is probably a bit of an awkward (ab)use of version control. I'll probably go with the simplest option of just cp build dir to /tmp/, checkout gh-pages and cp back :v:.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ender.uNF posted:

Anyone aware of a good pre-packaged talk (speaker's notes and slide deck) for introducing a team to Git?

I'm going to be doing that soon and figured why reinvent the wheel.

I'm sure at least one of these must not be terrible: http://www.slideshare.net/search/slideshow?searchfrom=header&q=git

(Slideshare is so frustrating -- it's really only good when they include a link to the presentation being given somewhere.)

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

prefect posted:

I'm sure at least one of these must not be terrible: http://www.slideshare.net/search/slideshow?searchfrom=header&q=git

(Slideshare is so frustrating -- it's really only good when they include a link to the presentation being given somewhere.)

Maybe you can find something from here: https://www.google.com/search?q=git+presentation

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice

I can't tell if that's snark directed at me or prefect, but I have been searching Google. So far I've found a lot of great info on git, just not something designed for someone who already knows git to present to a team that doesn't.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Xik posted:

Is there a way to move files between branches without doing the checkout first? Or maybe it would be better to explain what I'm trying to do and see if there is a better solution:
  • Work on some branch as usual.
  • "Build" the project, resulting in maybe some concatenated and/or minified javascript and some html.
  • Either the files or a directory containing these built files are ignored via gitignore.
  • "Move/copy" these files to an orphaned or "clean" production branch (probably gh-pages for github project page).
  • ????
  • Checkout production branch (gh-pages) and commit the new files.
  • Push and done...
Is there an elegant solution for this or perhaps a better workflow?

You can totally do this. I work on a project that always builds things from commits, so there's a command to build that makes a commit for you on another branch without touching your workspace.

In true git tradition, I could knock that up as a shell script for you in an hour or so.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
Here's a hackjob. Run the script as BRANCH_NAME FILE1 FILE2 FILE3...

The branch name has to be the full name for the first commit e.g. refs/heads/lookaside, but just lookaside should work after that.

code:

#!/bin/sh
set -eu                                                                                    
COMMIT_MESSAGE="NEW FILES!"

BRANCH="$1"
shift

TMP=`mktemp -d`
export GIT_INDEX="$TMP/index"
trap 'rm -rf "$TMP"' EXIT

if PREV_TREE="$(git rev-parse "$BRANCH^{tree}" 2>/dev/null)"; then
    git read-tree "$PREV_TREE"
fi

for file; do
    OID="$(git hash-object -w "$file")"
    git update-index --add --cacheinfo 100644 "$OID" "$(basename "$file")"
done

NEW_TREE="$(git write-tree)"
if PREV_COMMIT="$(git rev-parse "$BRANCH" 2>/dev/null)"; then
    NEW_COMMIT="$(echo "$COMMIT_MESSAGE" | git commit-tree "$NEW_TREE" -p "$PREV_COMMIT")"
else
    NEW_COMMIT="$(echo "$COMMIT_MESSAGE" | git commit-tree "$NEW_TREE")"
fi

git update-ref "$BRANCH" "$NEW_COMMIT"

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice

Ender.uNF posted:

I can't tell if that's snark directed at me or prefect, but I have been searching Google. So far I've found a lot of great info on git, just not something designed for someone who already knows git to present to a team that doesn't.

And to answer my own question:

https://github.com/schacon/git-presentations

Some excellent Keynote presentations to work with. Thanks, schacon!

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Edison was a dick posted:

Here's a hackjob. Run the script as BRANCH_NAME FILE1 FILE2 FILE3...

You're totally awesome Edison. I'll probably have to spend some time learning what the git commands in the script do but since the entire point of my current project is to become more familiar with a bunch of tools, this suits me just fine.

Thanks a bunch!

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Can someone give me a use case for why I shouldn't always use

git fetch -p

It's a pain in the rear end when cleaning up old branches that I have to do "git remote prune origin" on various servers, or basically when fetching anywhere. But presumably it's turned off for a reason - I could understand if git gave you some indication that branches had been removed on origin, a bit like "you are x commits behind", but it doesn't. You can still resurrect a deleted branch and commit to it locally unless you prune?

aerique
Jul 16, 2008
I use "git fetch -p" almost always as well but I can imagine it not being the default because one wouldn't want local branches to be deleted without explicitly telling Git to do so.

Maybe you're working on that branch and plan to merge it into another one locally even if you're aware it has been deleted remotely.

Then again, I can imagine Git warning you if you've got changes in your local branch and also if you've got a local branch that happens to be accidentally named the same as a remote branch.

A good candidate for an alias I think.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Sure, that makes total sense; does prune delete the local branch as well? My above post was under the assumption that the local branch remains after prune, but if it deletes the local ref as well then totally it shouldn't be default.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ender.uNF posted:

I deserved some snark; I was mostly posting to whine about slideshare, not because I had any genuinely helpful, specific advice. :blush:

aerique
Jul 16, 2008

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Sure, that makes total sense; does prune delete the local branch as well? My above post was under the assumption that the local branch remains after prune, but if it deletes the local ref as well then totally it shouldn't be default.

Hmm, the doc says it only removes remote-tracking branches so my examples might not have been appropriate at all. Sorry for potentially spouting nonsense earlier.

I'll leave further comments on this matter to people more knowledgeable than me.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

So now the apache subversion project isn't using subversion anymore: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-7524

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
That's the one problem with April Fools' Day on the web, stuff sticks around for days or weeks (or months or years).

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

poo poo, the 4 people covering the story didn't pick that up.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
It's in the title...

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
It wasn't when they started. They actually said it was real a few times, after people suspected it was an AF joke.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I'm new to git. If there's a project on a private server that only I am working on, I just want to be able to track changes and revert if need be, is there any reason I can't use git init without --bare? I don't want to have to push to a clone and then SSH to the server and merge back into the master every time I make a change. I know nobody else will be working on it, but when I try to push to the master (bare repository) it gives a warning and blocks it, saying that there could be data loss etc. Surely if I'm the only contributor this won't be an issue and I can safely disable this warning for this project?

Or is the normal thing, even in this circumstance, to 'git init' into the working files, then clone that to a repository that handles development, then push to the second repository, SSH to the server and pull from there into the master?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I'm new to git. If there's a project on a private server that only I am working on, I just want to be able to track changes and revert if need be, is there any reason I can't use git init without --bare? I don't want to have to push to a clone and then SSH to the server and merge back into the master every time I make a change. I know nobody else will be working on it, but when I try to push to the master (bare repository) it gives a warning and blocks it, saying that there could be data loss etc. Surely if I'm the only contributor this won't be an issue and I can safely disable this warning for this project?

Or is the normal thing, even in this circumstance, to 'git init' into the working files, then clone that to a repository that handles development, then push to the second repository, SSH to the server and pull from there into the master?

Git is not a deployment mechanism, which is the main problem. You can ignore the warnings if you KNOW you'll never change anything by hand on your remote, but there's a reason for that warning.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Ah. I guess that makes sense. So what's the standard procedure here, then? 'git init' the original/production folder, 'git clone' it into a branch that I push changes to, then on the server manually merge the two? Or.. what?

Gul Banana
Nov 28, 2003

on the server you could use a hook which checks out the newly pushed stuff into your production location

for example, this in .git/hooks/post-receive:
#!/bin/sh
GIT_WORK_TREE=/var/wherever git checkout -f
#and perhaps this line
(cd /var/wherever && init-the-deployment.sh)

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Ah. I guess that makes sense. So what's the standard procedure here, then? 'git init' the original/production folder, 'git clone' it into a branch that I push changes to, then on the server manually merge the two? Or.. what?
My place has a script that does "git fetch -f" then a "git checkout -f" on deployments across a lot of instances. It works pretty well and no merges happen since we're always deploying from master. The only caveat is that in your deployment make sure you wrap your fetch in some retry logic as Github or other remote might be down.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

I've set up the git server on my own server so I don't use github at all. I've found it really tough to find tutorials or introductory guides to git that teach you how to use git when setting up your own server and with existing source code.

Gul Banana so I create a copy of the master that I commit/push changes to, and that hook waits for incoming pushes and automatically pushes it out to the original repository?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I've set up the git server on my own server so I don't use github at all. I've found it really tough to find tutorials or introductory guides to git that teach you how to use git when setting up your own server and with existing source code.

I think a large part of this is that if you aren't doing something complicated, there is basically no setup needed - git init --bare on the server, git init on the client with the existing source, add the server as a remote, push/fetch as needed.

If you are doing something complicated, like wanting to automatically deploy your code to production when pushed to the server, you're now getting away from plain git and into deployment systems built around git.

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Gul Banana so I create a copy of the master that I commit/push changes to, and that hook waits for incoming pushes and automatically pushes it out to the original repository?

What? No.

You have a non-bare repo locally you use for actual development.

You have a bare repo on the server.

When you push to the bare repo, the post-receive hook runs and deploys the changes you just pushed to the directory where your software is actually deployed, e.g. /var/www/. The deployment directory is not actually a git repo.

The #git help text for !deploy may also be relevant here:

quote:

<gitinfo> Git is not a deployment tool, but you can build one around it (in simple environments) or use it as an object store(for complex ones). Here are some options/ideas to get you started: http://gitolite.com/deploy.html

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 5, 2014

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

I'm trying to start from scratch and I'm getting some bizarre behaviour here. I'm trying to use SourceTree on windows to manage it. I'm hoping to have git on the server, that can handle versioning and auto-deploy to the working files. So I have:

Server:
/home/username/http/hosts/* is the directory that holds all my files.
/home/username/http/dev_git/.git holds the non-bare repository. I did 'git init' in /dev_git/ to create it -- folder has nothing else in it.

In SourceTree I modify the remote repository to point to the new one:

ssh://username@server.ip.address.here:port/home/username/http/hosts/dev_git/.git

And try to push 3 php files that I've modified, should be about 10 kb total. It spends a couple minutes uploading at goddamn 2-5mb/s before warning with something weird and erroring out, so I decide to delete the local content and try again from scratch in case it's screwing up because of the changed context or it's trying to upload every single file in my local copy of the site code, rather than just the 3 files in the commit.

So I delete the local, start a whole new project in sourcetree and try to connect. And it starts downloading at 1.5mb/s for like 30+ seconds. I'm on internet with a pretty shallow data transfer limit so I had to cancel it after about 30 seconds because honestly where the hell is it getting this from? The whole size of the git folder on the server is 22mb. I just cancelled, deleted the local copy, and tried again -- about a minute at 2.5mb/s download and still no end in sight.

I'm super confused and I don't know why it's doing this. Essentially what I want is:

The production directory on the server.
An exact copy of that code on my local machine (I already have this).
A way so that changes made on the local machine can be pushed to the production directory while keeping a record of changes.

I still don't understand why the initial setup didn't work, why it really didn't want me to push directly to the master branch of the original repository. I also don't know why it's trying to download so much when all the data involved is only like 22mb.

e: Removed a bit of whinging.

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 5, 2014

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

If I 'git init' into the production directory, that will create the master. Should I then: git branch develop; git checkout develop?

And connect Sourcetree to that branch, take the hit and download all the source files again, and add a post-receive hook to auto-merge the develop branch back into master?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I'm not sure what you're doing but I think you're making things more complicated then they need to be. It's also possible there is some confusion about the distributed nature of git that is tripping you up.

code:
mkdir test_repo
cd test_repo
echo 'hello world' > test.txt
git init
git add -A
git commit -m "First commit with all the files"
  • Made a folder, navigate into it, create a test file.
  • Initialize a repository with git init | I now have an empty repository with an untracked file.
  • git add -A | Adds ("stages") any untracked changes, which will be the test file in this case.
  • git commit -m | Commits the changes and the -m flag supplies a message via the command line.

I now have a git repository with a file and history. I can clone it and make an exact duplicate of it. This can be done locally to somewhere else on the file system or remotely over ssh.

code:
cd ..
mkdir test_repo_clone
git clone test_repo test_repo_clone
Now there are two exact copies of the repository. One in test_repo and one in test_repo_clone. They are both equally as valid as each other. To keep them in sync the basic workflow would be:
  • Do your work on one of them.
  • Add and commit the changes.
  • Go to the other and then git pull from the other directory.

So say I made some changes in the test_repo_clone folder. I added ('staged') them and then committed them. It's now a head or out of "sync" from the other. I can navigate back into the test_repo and pull in the changes I just made to the other:

code:
cd test_repo
git pull ../test_repo_clone
They are now identical again. You can make as many clones as you like and pull from any of the others. If you want a server->client sort of relationship, so you don't have to ssh into the "server" repo and clone from the "client" repo then the one on the server will have to be what is called a "bare" repository.

To understand why and what the difference is, check out this article. With one of them being "bare" you can add it as a remote and "push" changes to it.

If you can understand the above, you can then go on to learn about branches and then worry about hooks. I'm not trying to be condescending, but it's probably best you understand the basic concepts before worrying about more advanced stuff.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
You can test the server -> client relationship locally like so:

code:
mkdir client
mkdir server
They are local directories but they can just as easily be remote over ssh, the concept is the same.

code:
cd server
git --bare init 
The server is setup.

code:
cd ../client
git init 
echo 'hello world' > test.txt
git add test.txt
git commit -m "First commit which has test.txt"
Now we have a "client". This can be any existing git repository. You just need to add the "server" as a remote.

code:
git remote add origin ../server
The bare git repository in the server folder is now a remote called origin. You can push changes to it.

code:
git push origin master
origin is the remote that was previously setup and master is the local branch to push. Hopefully that gets you started and sets you down the right path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone here using this Visual Studio Online "cloud" repository thing? How smooth does it work? It seems to be free for up to 5 users with my MSDN account, seeing how I'm just one, this may fit.