Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Legal prices here in CO are roughly double the price of Medical, then add to that the tax on top. So he does kind of have a point, except that it's a hell of a lot easier to find someone with a green card than going down to your local cartel buddy and buying lovely brickweed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I lived in CO for a while, and while I saw plenty of weed there it was never less than grade A. I'm sure there's lovely mexican weed somewhere but I pity the poor soul who is smoking it.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

thefncrow posted:

Like, if I'm not mistaken, didn't legal weed prices start off being higher than the black market prices?

So you're saying it's more profitable to sell legal rather than black market weed?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

Legal prices here in CO are roughly double the price of Medical, then add to that the tax on top. So he does kind of have a point, except that it's a hell of a lot easier to find someone with a green card than going down to your local cartel buddy and buying lovely brickweed.

Not for long! Westword is starting to carry ads for $20-30 1/8s, which is half to a third of what the recreational prices were just after 1/1. Sure, the stuff that goes for $20 isn't the weed that people write sounds about, but it's already been mentioned that "bad" weed here is still worlds better than you can get in most places in the US. Give it another few months, recreational and medical prices will be pretty similar, even competitive. The black market here is people with red cards selling to their friends/coworkers, not Mexican cartels.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
it's like nobody paid attention the last half-dozen times I outlined the reasons why legal, recreational stuff has been expensive so far

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Cartel weed sucks. It's grown without concern for quality and is instead mass cultivated, is often pre-harvested of it's trichomes, then crushed together in small bales that can be easily transported. It doesn't hold a candle to properly grown and cured cannabis.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I think there are probably cartel growers growing weed of of a range of qualities.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
"Cartel Weed" is a loving red herring to legalization (or keeping it illegal) in the first place. Who the hell cares what the cartels are doing? As long as a sufficient regulation price gap exists with a commodity, groups of people will do illegal things to make money off it.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I don't drink anymore but when I used to I can assure you that I always bought black market moonshine from a gangster in an alley, no way am I paying those expensive liquor store prices!

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

KingEup posted:

So you're saying it's more profitable to sell legal rather than black market weed?

Only because of the volume, much like any other operation

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

prom candy posted:

I don't drink anymore but when I used to I can assure you that I always bought black market moonshine from a gangster in an alley, no way am I paying those expensive liquor store prices!

If you need any bathtub gin holla atcha boy

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.

KingEup posted:

The evidence is in, the DEA Chief is officially the dumbest person alive:

That's right, not only have the cartels decided to declare their incomes and pay their taxes, they are also going to be making less money!

More proof:

Apparently butter, whilst fatal to dogs, should be perfectly legal. Never mind the dogs shot by police in drug raids.

To be fair, it's her job to defend idiotic drug policies. If she doesn't and admits the Drug War is an expensive waste of time (which it is), she loses her job and her organization becomes even less credible than it already is.

She'll look ridiculous in 10 years time, but don't expect her and her kind to go quietly.

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

All I can think about is your wife and a horse.
We are working on some SERIOUS SHIT in here.

AYC posted:

To be fair, it's her job to defend idiotic drug policies. If she doesn't and admits the Drug War is an expensive waste of time (which it is), she loses her job and her organization becomes even less credible than it already is.

She'll look ridiculous in 10 years time, but don't expect her and her kind to go quietly.

How many people's dogs have to die until they just loving GO?

Oh, and that bullshit Carly's Law has passed. I sure am glad Carly and her loving parents are happy now. I wonder if they even care about all the adults that are suffering from conditions?

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

NurhacisUrn posted:

How many people's dogs have to die until they just loving GO?

Oh, and that bullshit Carly's Law has passed. I sure am glad Carly and her loving parents are happy now. I wonder if they even care about all the adults that are suffering from conditions?

It seems to lave legalized hash oil treatments for seizures, that's amazing progress for Alabama. I guess I don't understand the hate? :confused:

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

Mrit posted:

It seems to lave legalized hash oil treatments for seizures, that's amazing progress for Alabama. I guess I don't understand the hate? :confused:

With this in place, I guess I figure they won't have any reason to do anything else. The old dicks in power can and will say "We care about the children! We proved that. gently caress off you stoner fuckers."

I mean there is a real need for people with a huge myriad of conditions, this just seems pointless to me in the face of people with bowel conditions, MS, and cancer. This bill says, "your conditions don't matter".

NurhacisUrn fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 4, 2014

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

NurhacisUrn posted:

With this in place, I guess I figure they won't have any reason to do anything else. The old dicks in power can and will say "We care about the children! We proved that. gently caress off you stoner fuckers."

Or... this could be a gateway for legalization, like medical marijuana was? This is Alabama. Not a liberal stronghold.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

It probably also won't have the effect of creating an entire shadow industry of CBD producers who campaign against actual marijuana reform, as CA's medical industry has with that. Maybe I'm wrong though, and it will.

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

Mrit posted:

Or... this could be a gateway for legalization, like medical marijuana was? This is Alabama. Not a liberal stronghold.

Hey, I truly hope you are right. As a denizen of the hell that is the south, I sincerely doubt it. Reefer Madness is stronger here than ever in our legislatures. In TN they just defeated a medical cannabis bill that didn't even have a grow provision by SIX to TWO! That is astoundingly ignorant. They approved a CBD oil study for five years, which IMO is equally as pointless as Alabama. This is old racists having another whipping boy and making sure those whipping boys stay in the goddamn fields where they belong. Bunch of fascist bullshit.

Jeffrey posted:

It probably also won't have the effect of creating an entire shadow industry of CBD producers who campaign against actual marijuana reform, as CA's medical industry has with that. Maybe I'm wrong though, and it will.

This was one of my fears for such a bill. Thanks for expressing it.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I have Border Patrol friends who think marijuana can kill you.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Nonsense posted:

Your Border Patrol friends have probably seen first hand what marijuana does to you when you get shot by the police.

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

Dusseldorf posted:

Your Border Patrol friends have probably seen first hand what marijuana does to you when you get shot by the police.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1MpQ4Jla0M

Makes me think of this.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Nonsense posted:

It can....If someone drops a pallet of brick weed on your head.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

You could asphyxiate in a pool full of cannabutter

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I saw cnn had another pot article up today:
http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/03/living/weed-colorado-family-vacation/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

Nice upper middle class (I'm assuming?) mom taking her family on a ski vacation in Colorado and taking a drive to buy some pot cookies and chocolate. Seemed like a pretty useless article but I guess it's good that cnn is constantly keeping the issue on the front page and hey, putting a successful white mom perspective sometimes helps idiots give the issue a second look.

And then I see the comments...

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Jeffrey posted:

You could asphyxiate in a pool full of cannabutter

The Goon Dream.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hopefully any trail balloons about cracking down on weed states go about as well as this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K61UADVD4VA

JollyGreen
Aug 23, 2010
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/blog/bs-md-marijuana-revival-20140404,0,7161831.story

:dance:

The decriminalization bill may pass both legislative chambers today - in Maryland.
Then it's off to the Governor's desk, who hasn't said he's explicitly against it, when prompted. So there's a lot of hope.

e: it passed, now the differences between the senate and house bills just need to be reconciled, and the gov needs to sign it

holy hell i can't believe its happening
http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2014/04/05/house-to-vote-on-marijuana-decriminalization-bill/

JollyGreen fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 6, 2014

Royale with Cheese
Jul 26, 2006

They wouldn't know what the fuck a Quarter Pounder is.
So happy it passed, this is huge progress for us Marylanders. I was listening to the live audio from the session, and the series of hamstringing amendments that people were throwing out at the end was just insane. People screaming about THE CHILDREN, racial arguments against decriminalization, goofy disagreements over how many joints you could get out of 10 grams, or how much it cost (price discussion? really?).

My rep actually answered the phone himself when I called to voice support for the measure. He voted nay.

Parlett316 posted:

Maryland is run by a bunch of loving nerds.

Heard the term "policy wonk" used more in that session than I feel comfortable with. Nauseating, even. As liberal as we are, it's taken far too long to get to this point.

Joseph Vallario, the rear end in a top hat holding poo poo up on the Judiciary Committee, killed the first decrim bill of this session, and amended this bill to merely approve a decriminalization study group. That was killed off by the House and it managed to pass, taking <10g possession out of the criminal law system.

Royale with Cheese fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 6, 2014

Py-O-My
Jan 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/DCMJ2014/status/452483338851614720

Looks like at least 2 members of the DC council are introducing a bill to remove the "qualifying condition" requirement for medical use.

Py-O-My fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 6, 2014

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
@GovernorOMalley: I intend to sign the bill sent to my desk that will decriminalize the possession of small amounts of marijuana. 

Wha. What?

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Parlett316 posted:

@GovernorOMalley: I intend to sign the bill sent to my desk that will decriminalize the possession of small amounts of marijuana. 

Wha. What?

Successful politicians tend to be pretty good at telling which way the wind is blowing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

KernelSlanders posted:

Successful politicians tend to be pretty good at telling which way the wind is blowing.

And if nothing else decriminalization is something that many blue states (and Mississippi) have already done so it's not that dangerous to risk averse politicians.

JollyGreen
Aug 23, 2010

Parlett316 posted:

Wha. What?

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2014/04/07/md-lawmakers-enter-last-day-of-session-marijuana-decriminalization-minimum-wage-on-agenda/

So both DC and Maryland have decriminalized. Now this is right in the federal gov's backyard.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.

computer parts posted:

And if nothing else decriminalization is something that many blue states (and Mississippi) have already done so it's not that dangerous to risk averse politicians.

Mississippi's weed decriminalization is a really strange anomaly, like Kentucky's wholehearted embrace of Obamacare.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

AYC posted:

Mississippi's weed decriminalization is a really strange anomaly, like Kentucky's wholehearted embrace of Obamacare.

And it's only for under an ounce, only for first offense, and if they decide you are a dealer(which could mean that you had two grams, each in their own little baggy) then they will take you down for that. It essentially adds more flexibility to the selective enforcement - that is why it happened. If you can't explain something in Mississippi, just ask yourself 'how could this gently caress over black people?' and you will have your answer.

JollyGreen
Aug 23, 2010

Warchicken posted:

And it's only for under an ounce, only for first offense, and if they decide you are a dealer(which could mean that you had two grams, each in their own little baggy) then they will take you down for that. It essentially adds more flexibility to the selective enforcement - that is why it happened. If you can't explain something in Mississippi, just ask yourself 'how could this gently caress over black people?' and you will have your answer.

An ounce is a shitload of weed. And yea if you are carrying around your weed in a bunch of separate containers then yes you look like a dealer. I don't get how any of what you said has racial bias.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JollyGreen posted:

An ounce is a shitload of weed. And yea if you are carrying around your weed in a bunch of separate containers then yes you look like a dealer. I don't get how any of what you said has racial bias.

It gives the cops additional wiggle room to let of white/rich/politically connected people

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JollyGreen posted:

Or maybe you got an 8th, but your guy had it bagged up in grams already so now you have three baggies. Oh, and you're black, you scummy violent drug dealer you! But oh, this nice white young man with the tie on has a half ounce on him, but it's in one nice and neat Baggie, like a good white man's stash is. You go along now, pay off this small ticket whenever, y'hear? *stomps on evil black drug dealer's neck*

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Wen I buy a six pack I don't immediately pour them all into one thermos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

superjew posted:

Wen I buy a six pack I don't immediately pour them all into one thermos.

If you buy a bottle of wine do you put it into separate drinking cups immediately?

• Locked thread