Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Glass of Milk posted:

-What title(s) to put on the resume? I've stuck with IT Manager as my duties haven't changed and it's most similar to jobs I've been looking for. I do mention in the first bullet point that I have had progressive career/knowledge/responsibility growth through my tenure to indicate I haven't been sitting at the same title for years.
Sometimes, when a company is doing a background check, their employment verification will include your job title along with the months that you were employed with a specific company. I'd use whichever title makes you sound better if it was not considered a demotion, but be aware that using the old title can possibly complicate the background check process.

Glass of Milk posted:

-References: Everyone I've worked with the last 10 years either still works with me or has moved on. I have one solid reference, but what should I do in job listings/systems that require several?
Find the people who have moved on, if you can -- LinkedIn is a great tool for this. Otherwise, what I would do is make clear on your application that you would prefer these references not be contacted until you've received a conditional offer, because they work at your current place of business and you don't want to tip off the company that you're looking. This is a pretty common state of affairs, and most HR offers are perfectly content to abide.

And in the future, seriously, keep in touch with old coworkers and make sure you can use each other as references.

Glass of Milk posted:

Applying to appropriate jobs: I've been a generalist forever- I do everything from switch/router configuration to desktop support to budgeting and purchasing. I'm assuming that it's best to tailor my resume for the job, but am I at risk if I omit all of the other things I've done? For example, if I wanted to apply for a Senior Storage Admin position, should I only talk about my experience with Netapp, SAN/NAS and whatever else the job may be requiring?
There's no single good answer here. Smaller companies tend to prefer generalists, and larger companies tend to prefer candidates with deeper experience and narrower focus. However, many larger companies are also making use of cross-functional teams and like to see a good breadth of skills. The purpose of your resume is two-fold: first, to indicate to the hiring manager that you are qualified for the position, and second, to help them find relevant questions to ask you to assess your fit for the job. In general, if you present your skills concisely, there are few disadvantages to listing these skills on a resume unless you're applying for a position that is below your station, and liable to be viewed as a flight risk. In most cases, it's a positive. The last group I worked in had three engineers in it who formerly held the title "IT Director," and one of them did end up quickly moving back into the management position that I left behind.

On the other hand, your cover letter should have a very narrow focus: selling the reader on why your specific skills make you a great fit for the position.

Glass of Milk posted:

-Lack of response: I haven't applied for a ton of jobs, just picking and choosing over time. The only interview I've had was in October for a job I had applied for in January of last year, which seems like an insane amount of time to delay. Most of the time I don't even get a rejection letter/email. Is that normal, or am I missing some crucial aspect of applying for jobs that has emerged since I was last in the job market a decade ago?
Rejection letters are sadly uncommon these days, especially in the age of electronic applications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Interview attire question:

I need clothes that won't look awful after being stuffed in a suitcase then worn in a car for 45 minutes before two back to back interviews. Both places aren't super formal corporate, one is the same industry as where I currently work (jeans and a not t-shirt shirt is the norm) and a really small furniture company. Both have the potential to be dusty/dirty. In this case is a nice pair of dark wash jeans acceptable? I was thinking really nice jeans, nice shirt and jacket. I own some shirts that travel well, but all my dress pants don't no matter how carefully I pack them.

I can always use the hotel iron, but I won't get in till close to midnight and I'd rather not be up doing midnight pants ironing if I can help it.

Do you have a suit? Wear a suit.

Get it dry cleaned and then either wear it or fold it and change. You can never overdress for an interview, unless specifically told to wear work clothes because you'll be doing a practical or something.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

totalnewbie posted:

Do you have a suit? Wear a suit.

Get it dry cleaned and then either wear it or fold it and change. You can never overdress for an interview, unless specifically told to wear work clothes because you'll be doing a practical or something.
That might have been true in the '90s, but there are definitely company cultures that are averse to suits. This is especially true in the manchild world of technology startups, but I've also seen it plenty in academia and some types of small businesses. For a laid-back and casual culture, I usually ask the recruiter directly how they recommend dressing for interviews if I'm speaking to someone from HR.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I decided to go with khaki pants and a brown blazer, that way if they get dust/dirt on them it won't be as obvious as darker colors and it's not super formal looking but not too casual either. I went out shopping earlier and found a suit jacket that claims that it doesn't wrinkle and I'm employing the rolling method of packing my pants to avoid creases, so we'll see how that goes. I also packed a plan B outfit just in case my clothes get too dirty during my first interview. I did two fairly lengthy phone interviews and got a pretty good feel for these places and I think a full suit would be overkill. I (hopefully) have a third interview sometime in the future (the recruiter conveniently went on vacation the week I'll be in town :argh:) and that's one I will definitely suit up for since it's a huge-rear end corporate environment.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Hang everything up in the hotel bathroom as soon as you get there and run the shower as hot as it goes for a few minutes with the door closed and the fan off; that's what I do when I'm travelling on business. The boy scout option is to bring a steamer. Every hotel room has an iron, these days.

Stuff rolled up socks in the sleeves of your sport jacket to support the shoulder padding if you do pack it, but I'd advise wearing it.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Looking over my old resume, it sucked, and sucked hard. Having been presented with a pretty nice opportunity I don't want to blow (old co-worker with an opening at her new place of work that I'm perfectly qualified for, in a city I wouldn't mind relocating to), there was little question to updating the resume and giving this the proper effort that is necessary.

That said, just because I tried to follow what the OP said, and what the books I checked out from the library said, I'm sure I didn't do it 100% perfect. I could I get a few more eyes on this?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1574fDYJCE2StT01wA5WXbL7Iq5ukyOlBdxT1RiTdLVY/edit?usp=sharing

In Open Office it all fits on one page, but doesn't in Google Docs for some reason, so I'm not too worried about that massive 3/4 blank page 2, especially once I pdf the final version.

Thanks so much!

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
How much experience is "enough" to bother with two pages? I have about 6-7 years of experience at my current position, and have a fairly sizable track record of projects I've been involved with. Would it be better to list specifically a number of select projects and applicable skills, or simply have "have worked on over X <insert project type>, learning and applying skills <insert relevant experience>"?

I also have a number of certifications, publications, and some community involvement I wanted to list, and I'm wondering whether pushing any of that to the second page is a good idea in the first place.

megazord
Jul 16, 2001

SITUATION:

Company A offered me a good position with a good salary juuuust shy of six figures.

I accepted.

Company B calls me two hours later saying they want to fly me out next week for back-to-back panel interviews with management and potential peers. I know for sure the salary will be more than Company A's, by a minimum of 5%.

poo poo.

I'd be content at Company A but the position at Company B would seriously kick rear end.

What if Company B offers me next week? Do I just call my recruiter at A and say "I'm out bitches"?

This is both an awesome/awful situation. I am so unsettled at possibly burning the company whose offer I just accepted. Yet, if the opportunity arises and I'm staring at an offer too good to refuse I'm going to have to take it.

The recruiter is going to be pissed isn't she? She's so nice too.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

megazord posted:

SITUATION:

Company A offered me a good position with a good salary juuuust shy of six figures.

I accepted.

Company B calls me two hours later saying they want to fly me out next week for back-to-back panel interviews with management and potential peers. I know for sure the salary will be more than Company A's, by a minimum of 5%.

poo poo.

I'd be content at Company A but the position at Company B would seriously kick rear end.

What if Company B offers me next week? Do I just call my recruiter at A and say "I'm out bitches"?

This is both an awesome/awful situation. I am so unsettled at possibly burning the company whose offer I just accepted. Yet, if the opportunity arises and I'm staring at an offer too good to refuse I'm going to have to take it.

There's no industry blacklists or anything for people who back out before signing papers. Put yourself first and don't worry what Company A thinks, but do make it known to the other company that you have an offer on the table and you need to move as quickly as humanly possible.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm currently in the process of getting a job with a large company that requires a background check of my employment history upon hiring.

This particular company outsources their investigations to another company who has now contacted me. They need me to provide a Signed Authorization Release for one particular employer on my resume.

Should I presume:

a) They're only looking to investigate my employment with this single employer?

or

b) There is something special about this particular employer that requires the background investigation firm get an authorization release before gaining information about my employment? Why would one employer require an authorization release form while the others wouldn't?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

megazord posted:

SITUATION:

I accepted.

poo poo.

While Misogynist makes great points, do not give up a firm offer for a maybe.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Bucket Joneses posted:

I'm currently in the process of getting a job with a large company that requires a background check of my employment history upon hiring.

This particular company outsources their investigations to another company who has now contacted me. They need me to provide a Signed Authorization Release for one particular employer on my resume.

Should I presume:

a) They're only looking to investigate my employment with this single employer?

or

b) There is something special about this particular employer that requires the background investigation firm get an authorization release before gaining information about my employment? Why would one employer require an authorization release form while the others wouldn't?

Is it your most recent employer? Because that would make sense. Did you work for them in a different state where maybe they have to comply with different laws.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Xguard86 posted:

Is it your most recent employer? Because that would make sense. Did you work for them in a different state where maybe they have to comply with different laws.

No it's like two or three employers past. It was in the same state (same city even) but the only reason I can think they might pick out this one job is because I only worked there for six months (contract job).

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So, I had an interview a week ago and I think it went pretty well. After the interview I sent thank you e-mails to my interviewers and also let them know that I had another offer on the table that was requesting a decision by April 7th, but I'd like to hear from them before I had to make a decision. The interviewers responded saying they would let me know their decision by April 4th (today). I never heard from them and when I called, they weren't in the office. Does this mean anything? I would assume if they wanted me, they'd be cognizant of the other offer's deadline.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

So I had my interviews yesterday.

The one unofficial "come by and meet everyone" one was them putting out feelers for when they have the budget for an additional person later this year so there might be a job materializing there in the future. They told me I should keep in touch and told me they'd keep me in mind for when they have the budget to hire additional people. How do I go about reminding them that I exist during budget season without being pushy? I'd feel weird emailing them periodically going "so... you guys hiring yet?" I added them on LinkedIn and I'm planning on letting them know when I'm settled in the area, is that sufficient?

The tiny company seemed shady as all hell though. No HR department, no benefits, no PTO and would be a large pay cut from my current job. I'd probably have better benefits working full time retail.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

The one unofficial "come by and meet everyone" one was them putting out feelers for when they have the budget for an additional person later this year so there might be a job materializing there in the future. They told me I should keep in touch and told me they'd keep me in mind for when they have the budget to hire additional people. How do I go about reminding them that I exist during budget season without being pushy? I'd feel weird emailing them periodically going "so... you guys hiring yet?" I added them on LinkedIn and I'm planning on letting them know when I'm settled in the area, is that sufficient?

The tiny company seemed shady as all hell though. No HR department, no benefits, no PTO and would be a large pay cut from my current job. I'd probably have better benefits working full time retail.
I'm confused. The company is wasting productive employee time meeting with strangers for no apparent reason when they don't even have any positions open?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Misogynist posted:

I'm confused. The company is wasting productive employee time meeting with strangers for no apparent reason when they don't even have any positions open?

In their defense I cold-called them, they could've just been like "nope sorry" and left it at that though. They are going to hire more people once they finish renovating their office for more space. So there's that at least.

I was in town for other stuff anyway (other interview and some personal business) so it wasn't a waste of time on my end at least. Definitely not gonna stop my job search or anything waiting on them.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

In their defense I cold-called them, they could've just been like "nope sorry" and left it at that though. They are going to hire more people once they finish renovating their office for more space. So there's that at least.
But you just said they also don't have the budget to hire new people right now :confused:

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

They can go gently caress themselves. Do not go back to them. It sounds like they wasted your time for a job which might exist, not an actual opening. WTF? You took time off for that?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Nothing will probably come of it, but god forbid someone moving to a new area make professional connections and get their name out their to a local company...

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I didn't take time off specifically for that? :confused:

Like I said I was in the area for other reasons and had an open invitation so I took them up on it. They don't have the budget right this instant but they will possibly later this year and definitely next year. It's a foot in the door. You guys are making it seem like I'm holding out hoping they'll materialize a job. I'm definitely not doing that but at the same time six months to a year from now when they are hiring and if I'm job hunting again I've already established connections there.

The other place I interviewed at seemed much less sketch online and over the phone than it did in person.

Problem! fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 6, 2014

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I found a craigslist ad for a dental office position. The listing included two websites for local dental offices that the position might be for, and a note to use them to familiarize with offices and doctors. No medical experience required, only customer service and some computer skills. On my resume I've highlighted what customer service experience I do have, but I'm well aware I am not the #1 candidate for this position. I would still like to maximize my chances of at least getting a phone call or interview.

I've already replied with a cover letter and resume, but what I'm thinking is this: Print off additional copies, dress up, and hand in my resume/cover letter at both offices. Not get in anyone's way, just "Hi, I wanted to apply in person as well, can you please give this to whoever is in charge of hiring?"

On one hand, I feel like this shows that I care enough to dress the part, research the listed links, and do the legwork of handing it in personally rather than just firing off an email and sitting on my thumbs. On the other hand, I feel it might come across as a bit pushy. Thoughts?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Vorenus posted:

I found a craigslist ad for a dental office position. The listing included two websites for local dental offices that the position might be for, and a note to use them to familiarize with offices and doctors. No medical experience required, only customer service and some computer skills. On my resume I've highlighted what customer service experience I do have, but I'm well aware I am not the #1 candidate for this position. I would still like to maximize my chances of at least getting a phone call or interview.

I've already replied with a cover letter and resume, but what I'm thinking is this: Print off additional copies, dress up, and hand in my resume/cover letter at both offices. Not get in anyone's way, just "Hi, I wanted to apply in person as well, can you please give this to whoever is in charge of hiring?"

On one hand, I feel like this shows that I care enough to dress the part, research the listed links, and do the legwork of handing it in personally rather than just firing off an email and sitting on my thumbs. On the other hand, I feel it might come across as a bit pushy. Thoughts?

They asked for applications online, you've applied online. Going there in person is weird and will disrupt their workflow, especially in a dentist office where there's a fair chance that when you show up, the person in charge of hiring is elbow-deep in someone's mouth.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
A few months ago I was offered a job in Florida with a company that I unfortunately had to turn down due to personal reasons. A company where I live has just opened up a job that is basically the same job, and I have immediately applied for it. However, their application process is basically "Attach your resume in PDF and provide some identifying info." I wanted to be able to attach a cover letter and explain to them that I'm extremely interested in the position, and I was in fact offered a job with a company that I had to turn down that was pretty much the exact same job (to show how qualified I am). Should I pursue contacting them by email to provide this information, or is this a bad idea?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

the posted:

I wanted to be able to attach a cover letter and explain to them that I'm extremely interested in the position, and I was in fact offered a job with a company that I had to turn down that was pretty much the exact same job

Cover letter maybe, but that sounds like a horrible idea.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Xandu posted:

Cover letter maybe, but that sounds like a horrible idea.
Exactly. Why do I care what someone you've never worked for thinks of your qualifications?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Misogynist posted:

Exactly. Why do I care what someone you've never worked for thinks of your qualifications?

I dunno. I guess I was thinking that if, say, I was offered a position at Google but had to turn it down because I couldn't leave at the time. And then I applied for a job at Apple and said, "Well, Google did offer me a job." Something to show that other respectable companies in their industry certainly find me qualified. I'm just trying to do whatever I can to get past the initial process and get a face-to-face.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

the posted:

I dunno. I guess I was thinking that if, say, I was offered a position at Google but had to turn it down because I couldn't leave at the time. And then I applied for a job at Apple and said, "Well, Google did offer me a job." Something to show that other respectable companies in their industry certainly find me qualified. I'm just trying to do whatever I can to get past the initial process and get a face-to-face.

"The kids at my old school thought I was cool!" did not work in the playground, it will not work in the real world. Plus from the other point of view, the interviewer might wonder why you didn't take the job when offered - Did you not want it enough? Are they your second choice? Are you going to bail as soon as Job A opens again?

Just like you don't bring up other women on a first date, don't bring up other potential employers in a cover letter.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I see your point, I won't do it. But just to answer, it was none of those things. I live in Raleigh with my fiancee. We're getting married in two months and we have a house here. She has a job she loves, and both her and my family live in the same town. We just didn't want to move to the Florida panhandle. This job opening up is in Raleigh, so there's no conflict.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So, I have a phone interview with one of my top choice companies this week, and I was wondering, is it appropriate to mention that I will be in their area in a couple of weeks for a conference to possibly schedule a site visit as well? Or is that something to gauge at the end of the phone interview?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Claverjoe posted:

So, I have a phone interview with one of my top choice companies this week, and I was wondering, is it appropriate to mention that I will be in their area in a couple of weeks for a conference to possibly schedule a site visit as well? Or is that something to gauge at the end of the phone interview?

I'd mention it, if the subject comes up. Especially if the conference is related to the industry.

If it's an anime conference, keep that to yourself. Unless you're in the anime industry.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

FrozenVent posted:

I'd mention it, if the subject comes up. Especially if the conference is related to the industry.

If it's an anime conference, keep that to yourself. Unless you're in the anime industry.

Happily, its directly related (Materials Research Society spring meeting), especially since I'm giving a presentation on semiconductor materials. My only worry is getting out to Fremont from SF proper. I suppose it'll be a transit/taxi game.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Claverjoe posted:

Happily, its directly related (Materials Research Society spring meeting), especially since I'm giving a presentation on semiconductor materials. My only worry is getting out to Fremont from SF proper. I suppose it'll be a transit/taxi game.
The BART goes straight to Fremont from central SF; it's a short trip. You just need to grab an Uber or a cab from there.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Claverjoe posted:

I would especially try to mention you're a presenter since that seems like a nice feather in the cap.

Gabriel-Ernest
Jun 3, 2011

Such dreadful things should not be said even in fun.
I'm 21 and am finishing up my senior year of college, and I have a moderately weird work history. I started working for a magazine during my first year of high school, under the job title "editorial intern," and I've been employed by them on and off ever since. When I was in high school, it was an after-school job; when I went elsewhere to attend college, I only worked there over the summer and during my longer vacations. I'm planning on going back there after I graduate, but only temporarily, until I get a full-time job.

After I'd been working there for about four years, I suggested to my bosses that we change my title from "intern" to something else, since being listed as an "intern" on the masthead for four years was pretty ridiculous. We decided on "assistant editor."

Should I list my becoming "assistant editor" rather than "intern" as happening four years in? Should I treat them like two different jobs in the same company? I'm confused about this because, while my title changed, nothing else did. The nature of the job I do has definitely shifted over the years, but much more gradually than the title change suggests.

It is probably somewhat weird for me, someone who's 21, to put on my resume that I've been working for one company for ~8 years. I'm hoping that it'll reflect positively on me overall, rather than making me seem unambitious, but is there some specific spin I should put on it? What kinds of questions about this experience would come up in an interview, for example? I have applied for a few other positions during past summers, all other internships in the publishing industry, and never got contacted. People have told me that working for the same place for so long looks good, but I'm sort of afraid that it appears sketchy somehow.

(I'm looking for full-time work in the same industry, if that matters, and ideally involving similar responsibilities.)

megazord
Jul 16, 2001

So I've accepted an offer like I said and given my two-week's notice. Things are starting to get a little hairy. Predictably, they've asked me to give a longer notice. However, I've gotten out of them that they will not be replacing me. I am managing two medium size projects right now.

I was told that:

- In Project Management, 2-weeks is not enough.
- I will "burn bridges" over anything less than a month (lol)

What exactly does "burn bridges" mean anyway? I understand if I stole computers and phones, sure. But over an extra week or two of notice? What are they going to do? Call my new company and talk poo poo about me? That seems really petty and most new-bosses would probably think there's a bitter former-boss on the line being petty and vindictive.

What the hell? Empty threats, right?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

megazord posted:

yep!

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

megazord posted:

So I've accepted an offer like I said and given my two-week's notice. Things are starting to get a little hairy. Predictably, they've asked me to give a longer notice. However, I've gotten out of them that they will not be replacing me. I am managing two medium size projects right now.

I was told that:

- I will "burn bridges" over anything less than a month (lol)

What exactly does "burn bridges" mean anyway? I understand if I stole computers and phones, sure. But over an extra week or two of notice? What are they going to do? Call my new company and talk poo poo about me? That seems really petty and most new-bosses would probably think there's a bitter former-boss on the line being petty and vindictive.

In some industries 3-4 weeks is considered the "standard" but in all reality, gently caress 'em.

I've seen people negotiate an exit package with a solid bonus if they stay on for a few extra weeks. If they really need you, they'll do this. If not, see above

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

megazord posted:

I've gotten out of them that they will not be replacing me.

I was told that:

beep boop does not compute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
There's only two things important here.

1) What the contract says
2) What the law says