Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Barudak posted:

Wait you could piece that much together? I got as far as "the main character can turn into a super sentai" and "I think the lizard man and the other fatter lizard man are evil but I'm not sure because I literally can't figure out what they just said"

I fully accept that my superpower is understanding the mangled translation of Wild Arms 2 and nothing else, but Liz and Ard are the greatest because they're a huge Manzai gag but all the puns were not so much translated as transliterated.

But yeah, you're a party that includes a novice Navy SEAL with the devil inside and Rambo and the badguys want to destroy the concept of borders and the nation-state via political violence and hijacking fantasy nukes. Both Rambo and the king of the badguys were high up rebels in a country that no longer exists because the facist ruler decided it was better that there be no Slayheim than a communist Slayheim.

Disk 1 is actually semi-coherent. Disk 2 is where it becomes a shot in the dark, both because the translation quality degrades and you hop into a Grant Morrison comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Nomura's pretty good about having goofy villains in his stuff, so we'll hopefully see some in XV.
I'm not sure what Nomura villains you're talking about, but everything after KH1 seems to have a cast of enemies broodier and more dead serious than a teenager who cuts himself because it makes him feel alive.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Disk 1 is actually semi-coherent. Disk 2 is where it becomes a shot in the dark, both because the translation quality degrades and you hop into a Grant Morrison comic.
I always thought it didn't degrade so much due to the translation (well, okay, in part; Disc 2 is where the infamous Day of the Week Pun Puzzle with inconsistent pantheons and deity names happens) as it was due to the fact that you were basically fighting existentialism. Not, like, a philosopher enemy who was well-studied in the field, but literally existentialism the concept, except it has HP.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 5, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The White Dragon posted:

I'm not sure what Nomura villains you're talking about, but everything after KH1 seems to have a cast of enemies broodier and more dead serious than a teenager who cuts himself because it makes him feel alive.

If you don't find KH's villains and the following fashion victim rejects goofy as poo poo, I don't know what to tell you. That's not even mentioning the Dirge of Cerberus villains.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 5, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

The Kingdom Hearts 2 cast is literally a bunch of wacky anime stereotypes. The main-main dudes are broody as gently caress but the side characters are goofy and have dumb character quirks that are supposed to make them endearing.

I don't think they're particularly good at it, mind you.

dance, water, dance

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 5, 2014

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

All I can say is that I want Leonard Nimoy to voice a FF villain. His talent was wasted on that one guy who is actually all of the other bad guys but they are merely parts of him.

Then again, if this Master Xehanort guy is the main villain in KH3 and Mr. Nimoy returns, I might just have to pick it up.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
If you don't think Lenoard Nimoy spouting jrpg villainy at his most hated enemy Mickey Mouse isn't silly then I don't know what to tell you.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Warms my heart to see those old screenshots again. :allears: I still like "woman (person)" the most, personally.

Still got a few more, although I think those were the best ones. Don't have any of the weirder Liz & Ard dialogue though.

And to be fair to the game, when it's not horribly mangled it does manage to have some amusing lines as well.

Bonus crucifixion:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Mad Mountains is a bitching name for a sword, don't even front.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Ugh, I forgot that font. Whoever went with that should be shot.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

The current antagonists seem to be some grumpy, old, brightly-dressed King, Evil Walt Disney, and the Man-with-the-shrouded-face. Here's hoping for some hammy poo poo to go down!

Not to mention the fedora-wearing Reno/Axel stand-in. I can't remember which voice actors have let slip that they're working on this game, but I'm certain that he's going to be voiced by Quinton Flynn.

Will he turn out to be a pretty OK guy, and eventually help the good guys out? Only time will tell.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 6, 2014

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Endorph posted:

I'm very sorry.

Upon reviewing the voice acting, it seems that Barbatos is objectively the best JRPG villain.

And this is completely ignoring that, in the Tales of Destiny remake, if you set up your controller to go in circles and auto-grind for a few hours, a nigh-unkillable Barbatos will randomly show up in your random battles after about an hour to just straight up murder you for trying to be cheap.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Fou-Lu from Breath of Fire 4 was a pretty great antagonist. As far as pure villains are concerned, Yuna from that game was really good too.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
It's too bad that Breath of Fire 4 takes longer to fire up its engines than Xenosaga. I must've played that poo poo for like five, six hours and nothing interesting happened.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

The White Dragon posted:

It's too bad that Breath of Fire 4 takes longer to fire up its engines than Xenosaga. I must've played that poo poo for like five, six hours and nothing interesting happened.

Yeah Breath of Fire 4's pacing is some of the worst in the genre which is a real shame because the combat system (especially later when battles get hard enough to make you utilize it to its full potential), overall story and music is really good.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

Mad Mountains is a bitching name for a sword, don't even front.
I would wield Mad Mountains, no lie.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Endorph posted:

Yeah, the first VP game's dub uses a lot of the same voice actors as the Pokemon dub. It's pretty hilarious to hear them all in such a different context, since a lot of them use similar voices.

"Valkyrie, grant me power!"

Seriously, I cannot hear any of Lucian's voiced lines without Brock's face popping into my brain.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Orgia Carnaval posted:

If you don't find KH's villains and the following fashion victim rejects goofy as poo poo, I don't know what to tell you. That's not even mentioning the Dirge of Cerberus villains.

They're incredibly goofy, but I don't get the feeling from the game that they're supposed to be. That's the problem.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Defiance Industries posted:

They're incredibly goofy, but I don't get the feeling from the game that they're supposed to be. That's the problem.

It could be argued that makes it even funnier.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm going to take a wild guess that Fedora Guy in FFXV is an amoral, wisecracking assassin who has a bunch of exchanges with the main character that basically all go like:

:v: Your boss is evil! I'm trying to make things right in the world!
:smug: That might be true. I really couldn't care less. I'm just here for a paycheck.
:v: Join me, I'll pay you more!
:smug: Hmmm.... tempting. Let's see if you're strong enough!

And halfway through disk 2 he joins the party.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

precision posted:

I'm going to take a wild guess that Fedora Guy in FFXV is an amoral, wisecracking assassin who has a bunch of exchanges with the main character that basically all go like:

I hope they make him an abhorrent neckbeard parody.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

precision posted:

:v: Your boss is evil! I'm trying to make things right in the world!
:smug: That might be true. I really couldn't care less. I'm just here for a paycheck.
:v: Join me, I'll pay you more!
:smug: Hmmm.... tempting. Let's see if you're strong enough!

And halfway through disk 2 he joins the party.

A s-second Blu-ray© disc? Inconceivable!

The White Dragon posted:

I hope they make him an abhorrent neckbeard parody.

Have his catchphrase be "M'lady" and have him hit on every woman in the game with cringeworthy pick-up lines.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Exdeath is the best saturday morning cartoon villain we never had.

dude789 posted:

Fou-Lu from Breath of Fire 4 was a pretty great antagonist. As far as pure villains are concerned, Yuna from that game was really good too.

gently caress Yuna. I seriously considered getting the bad ending just so he would get his just desserts.

Another jrpg with good villains is Tactics Ogre, although it'S arguable who is or isn't a villain. It's got a great cast. Lanselot, Brantyn, Nybeth, Dorgalua were all various degrees of great.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

A s-second Blu-ray© disc? Inconceivable!

The game starts with an uncompressed, 35 hour cutscene with every countries language track.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Endorph posted:

Yeah, the first VP game's dub uses a lot of the same voice actors as the Pokemon dub. It's pretty hilarious to hear them all in such a different context, since a lot of them use similar voices.

LAPIS OF HEART'S DESIRE, [I CHOOSE YOU]

e: What shall I wish for? A splendid new ship? For Yumei's safety? No, I know...
to be the Pokemon master!!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Barudak posted:

The game starts with an uncompressed, 35 hour cutscene with every countries language track.

Except the Japanese audio, which is a $1.99 PSN download.

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012

Vil posted:

On the off chance that you're still working on this:

From a few pages ago, apologies for interrupting BoF chat.

This'll be really useful, thanks! Only 3 to go now!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

MonsieurChoc posted:

gently caress Yuna. I seriously considered getting the bad ending just so he would get his just desserts.

Another jrpg with good villains is Tactics Ogre, although it'S arguable who is or isn't a villain. It's got a great cast. Lanselot, Brantyn, Nybeth, Dorgalua were all various degrees of great.

Well if we're going to go there, then Delita is clearly the best villain(?). It's probably nostalgia, but I liked Magus in a 16-bit villain sort of way.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Lanselot is probably one of my favorite JRPG villains although for sheer love to hate factor I think my favorite has to go to Algus. People hated that priss so hard they added a level in chapter 4 of War of the Lions so you could kill him again.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

TARDISman posted:

Lanselot is probably one of my favorite JRPG villains although for sheer love to hate factor I think my favorite has to go to Algus. People hated that priss so hard they added a level in chapter 4 of War of the Lions so you could kill him again.

And also a bonus level where you kill five of him :eng101:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Schwartzcough posted:

Well if we're going to go there, then Delita is clearly the best villain(?). It's probably nostalgia, but I liked Magus in a 16-bit villain sort of way.
I liked Magus in a "heel face turn" sort of way, I always knew he was gonna turn out to be a bro :v:

As a villain, though, he's like... there? Aside from the stuff with Frog, he gets a couple cursory mentions in 600-1000AD, maybe a couple NPCs cussin' him out, but that's about it. To me, he's always just been Frog's personal enemy, but not really a full-on villain, even my first time through.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Endorph posted:

Just about everything worth remembering is gonna be in it, and the new songs include, inexplicably:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSM0j7fXeTU

It's because RS3's soundtrack is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4e_2bfYuq0

The game had tons of little touches too. With the right main character you could fight RS3's equivalent of FF1's Tiamat singlehandedly while riding a dragon :rock:

And villains don't get more hardcore than Emperor Mateus in FF2. Succeed killing off half the planet like Kefka, die, your split souls simultaneously conquer both Heaven and Hell :black101:

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 6, 2014

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx

SSNeoman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0yr8WdYS8M

Best laugh.
I still can't get over that this as their idea of censorship.

This loving performance. As batshit and kind of crappy as Xenosaga is, Crispin Freeman just nails all of his scenes so loving hard they're impossible to forget.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bellmaker posted:

The game had tons of little touches too. With the right main character you could fight RS3's equivalent of FF1's Tiamat singlehandedly while riding a dragon :rock:

I think you can do that with, like, everyone except Mikhail and that's because he's a busta.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ImpAtom posted:

Widl Arms 1's translation isn't that bad. It is pretty early PSX era levels of simple and occasionally silly but it isn't flat-out incoherent like WA2 is.

4 and 5 are pretty different games. I personally really dislike 4 but largely because its plot has one of the most bizarre messages I've ever seen. Wild Arms 5 is just a giant robot show. I mean that it is almost shot-for-shot homages to various giant robot shows, the plot involves getting your own giant robot, and the main character is effectively a super robot pilot. It's also the anniversary game so it mixes the giant robot antics with direct references to the previous WA games. However despite all this it's kind of cliche and boring with a fairly unmemorable cast.

Also with Wild Arms 3:

It's pretty uniquely structured in that it is divided into 'arcs.' Instead of one long ongoing story you get around 4 "mini-stories' with their own villains, which sometimes tie into each other but are their own self-contained thing. The anime opening even changes to reflect the arc you are in which is a nice touch.

All I remember in the first Wild Arms was that at one point there's a fair of some kind that has a mini game you can play and win a bunch of some item (apples, cheeries, or something) that either gave a state boost or sold for a bunch of money because I used them to max out the first level hand cannon and doing so early on was shitloads of damage. Between my brother and I I don't think we ever got further than some golem thing for a fight with Fenrir(?) and I couldn't get back in to it last time I tried. Maybe it just didn't age well to me.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Get Suikoden 2 STAT, you need to see a real villain.

The only other Suikoden game with a decent villain is 3 and maybe 5, though S5 has the best war minigame whereas 3's is something you can just completely break with runes like wall and firefly.

Luca Blight is in that special category of "fire's pretty, let's burn the entire world" villain along with people like Kefka. I think Luca might enjoy the up close killing more though, and it's hard to not respect or fear a guy who, even after you take him on with an army, basically laughs in your face and tells you how weak you are and that on your own you're nothing compared to him. The fight with Luca probably gave Riou and co nightmares.

Suikoden 3's villain has such a terrible life that you cant help but feel for them. :smith:

TARDISman posted:

Lanselot's actions are pretty well defined though, since early in the game you get the option to commit crimes just as bad as his, and doing so makes you lawful for some bizzare-as-poo poo reason. Plus he has his own prequel game, though the story wasn't as memorable.

Spells like Snapdragon were just as hilariously broken in it though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Suikoden 3's villain has such a terrible life that you cant help but feel for them. :smith:

Suikoden 3's villain never grew past being an insufferable teenager. You would think he'd have learned something from the other two goddamn True Rune holders he rolled with in the past fifteen years--both of whom are total bros, btw--but apparently some lessons can only be conveyed through an atomic bitch-slap.

If there's one villain I ever thought "jesus gently caress grow up" over, it's him. And that's when I was sixteen.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think what I like about Caius Ballad is his reaction to being defeated in Lightning Returns He basically explains to lightning the manifold reasons that he can't be saved. Firstly, as he demonstrates by impaling himself on his own sword, he cannot die in the first place as Yeul won't let him, due to half of them wanting him to remain alive with them even as the other half want him to be freed in death. Secondly, he is still Yeul's protector and father figure and is not going to let that go for anything. Thirdly, Yeul can't be allowed to leave the old world and rejoin the new because her conflicted desire for his eternal life resulted in the Chaos the first time, and if she came to the new world she would just create a new ocean of chaos (Without meaning to) and devour that world as well. And due to point number 2, Yeul ain't leaving so he ain't leaving. He's going to stick around so that Yeul doesn't die alone on a barren world. I kinda liked that characterisation.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh gently caress you FFX. gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you. Five hours catching monsters and grinding spheres and I stumble into loving Dark Magus Sisters.

At least let me run from these fights you piece of poo poo game. Argh, this is the worst. :mad:

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
i'm pretty sure you can run from dark aeon fights.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
IIRC you can't actually escape any Dark Aeon fights (after running the fight immediately restarts). That being said uhh, always save, and at least you'll know how to avoid the Magus Sisters next time?

also cool kids fight all three Dark Magus Sisters using Lulu to give the maximum beatdown

e: i did not recall correctly

Xenogenesis fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Apr 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Xenogenesis posted:

IIRC you can't actually escape any Dark Aeon fights (after running the fight immediately restarts). That being said uhh, always save, and at least you'll know how to avoid the Magus Sisters next time?

also cool kids fight all three Dark Magus Sisters using Lulu to give the maximum beatdown
I was able to Flee from Dark Ixion, and when I triggered the Dark Magus Sister cutscene I just ran away from the summoners to the previous area.