Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Leperflesh posted:

You can use a sheet of white in the same lighting to "white balance" your camera, assuming the camera has that function, but that does nothing for all the remaining steps in the photo-to-computer-to-another-computer chain.

This is a difficult problem that a lot of people have spent millions of dollars on trying to fix. The short answer is, unless you have two matching-calibrated monitors, and a good camera with good white balancing and color reproduction, which has a RAW setting to avoid any color-processing that happens in the camera, it is a total crapshoot and a fools' errand.

He'd be better off FedExing color chips to his wife internationally and letting her send back what she likes.'

e. Oh, another option would be for his wife to find a local place where they have some standardized color samples, such as PantoneR. She can pick the exact one she wants and then tell him which one that is.

Good call on Pantone, they have 5 locations in China and they are the kind of organization that will be color-calibrating the lights in their showrooms to be identical everywhere.

Of course the colors won't look the same in the showroom as in the light in Blistex's addition, but it would eliminate the vast majority of the color-reproduction problems. Of course instead you'd have the massive inconvenience of traveling around a foreign city/country just to pick out a paint color for a freaking dogs room, but hey we didn't pay 10$ to post on a website because we're rational

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
"Goons, Goons never change" (just kidding)

Seriously, this was more of a general compass pointing me in the right direction as opposed to me expecting her to identify the exact shade. Believe it or not, some of us guys do have a say when it comes to decorating our homes, and this will be the first room she has had any input on colour wise. I'm not saying that I'm a tyrant, it's just I always time my renos/painting so they coincide with her annual trips back home (no complaining about dust, fumes, or tools littering the house). So far I've picked 5 colours to her 0, so I would like to try and even things up. I really only have two more rooms to do after this, (the upstairs bathroom and the master bedroom), so I wanted her to get as much input into the remaining rooms as possible so she feels like she has had some part in the customization of our home.

kastein posted:

Failing that, maybe cars that are the right color?

The colour options in China are somewhat limited (black Audi, rusty Volkswagen taxi, blurry supercar that just just turned that old lady into a fine mist).

Uncle Enzo posted:

Good call on Pantone, they have 5 locations in China and they are the kind of organization that will be color-calibrating the lights in their showrooms to be identical everywhere.

Leperflesh posted:

He'd be better off FedExing color chips to his wife internationally and letting her send back what she likes.'

Both are options (while ingenious and appreciated) are going to cost more/much-much more than the paint that I will eventually slather on the walls.

Uncle Enzo posted:

Fun fact: did you know most TN panels don't actually display the full RGB 16.2 million colors? They only show 262k colors and fake the rest with dithering.

This is one reason why you'll still see high-end CRT monitors in different studios to this day, as they are better at representing "true" colour, or at least what our eyes interpret it to be. As far at TF monitors go, apparently NEC had the best colour representation, and I think LG inherited the tech. I was talking to a local photographer who was saying that he colour-corrects his photos in Photoshop so that people on his Tumblr get a better idea of what he saw in real life, and we had an almost identical conversation discussing the myriad of different displays and how many of them have probably fiddled with the brightness/contrast/colour to some degree and how no two people interpret colour the same way.

Long story short, I'm looking for a, "Like #31, but slightly darker" so she has some input in the process. As soon as she narrows it down to a general one, I'll pop a few close variations of it on the wall and see which one (if any) I want to put up for real.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Blistex posted:

Both are options (while ingenious and appreciated) are going to cost more/much-much more than the paint that I will eventually slather on the walls.

The pantone thing should be free. Go to any real art supply place or architect or interior designer, they'll have a pack of swatches and she can just pick out the color she wants and write down the number.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Blistex posted:

The colour options in China are somewhat limited (black Audi, rusty Volkswagen taxi, blurry supercar that just just turned that old lady into a fine mist). up for real.
'Old lady fine mist' might actually look nice in that space

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah it's not necessary to go to an actual Pantone dealer. Most places that do print work in the US would have a binder of pantone swatches. I have no idea whether it's a commonly-used standard in China, but it's possible that an art supply store or print shop in whatever city your wife is staying in could have what she needs.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Is there absolutely no internet in China?

Go here, choose one, done.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

Is there absolutely no internet in China?

Go here, choose one, done.

...by looking at them on your monitor? Did you read the discussion we just had?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

...by looking at them on your monitor? Did you read the discussion we just had?

Not closely no.

E: It's paint, not a tattoo. It can be close but not perfect and that is still fine. Picking a colour online is better than "Blue but not dark blue, and maybe with some green in it" as a guide.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 1, 2014

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Not by much.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Not by much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

:)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

In all honesty, though, I suspect the biggest factor will be the lighting. Because you can go out and look at pantone swatches all day, but when you get home and paint your wall you'll find it looks nothing like what you wanted under that sweet 2700k bulb you've got in the fixture.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Yeah incandescent vs 2700K fluorescent changes my walls from leather yellow to dusky red.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

In all honesty, though, I suspect the biggest factor will be the lighting. Because you can go out and look at pantone swatches all day, but when you get home and paint your wall you'll find it looks nothing like what you wanted under that sweet 2700k bulb you've got in the fixture.

No kidding. The $3 paint samples you can buy to paint a three foot square section of a wall are worth every penny. We painted a basement wall red and the one that looked fine in the store looked positively orange in the actual space and the red that looked over the top in the store looked great when it was actually put up in the basement.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
"5 Locations in China" is like saying "5 locations in the continental USA". She's currently visiting her parents in a podunk little mining town 8 hours (by 200kph bullet train) from Beijing. Like I said before, the photo is close enough, I just wanted a general idea of what she was thinking of and then I would go from there. (please don't re-start the "display properties and interpretation of colour" derail)

Ok, let's stop talking about paint.

Anyone have any goofy building photos or anecdotes about horrible contractors?

A local cult (Daystar) purchased a historic home (120+ yrs) 500m from my house in town for a real steal. It's 2 storey, 5 bedroom, huge attic, 2nd floor fireplaces in two of the bedrooms, sitting on a double lot with an amazing view of the bay. $185,000. Seems they didn't bother to get an inspector, and the foundation apparently is going to cost at least double that to rectify (it's poured, but cracked in half and separating). Also there was some fireproofing done in the late 50's. $5 to anyone who can guess what was used.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Blistex posted:

$5 to anyone who can guess what was used.

Why do all the most awesome of things end up being deadly?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Blistex posted:

Also there was some fireproofing done in the late 50's. $5 to anyone who can guess what was used.

Asbestos is the best-os!

What CopperHound said holds true for most things... leaded solder? PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyls, not printed circuit boards - but keep reading!)? hexavalent chromium? halogenated anything? Even fiberglass? Arsenic based pressure treated lumber?

Yup, all horrible.

kastein fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 1, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I really resent that the stupid California Air Resources Board won't let me buy dichloromethane. What an amazing solvent that stuff is :(

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

kastein posted:

Arsenic based pressure treated lumber?

ACQ is for quitters

:colbert:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think they treat railroad ties with creosote. Those things last for over a century, totally exposed to weather and bugs. Can you use creosote-treated lumber architecturally?

Oh, telephone poles too, right?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Only if you want your house to smell like the inside of an asphalt refinery crossed with a chimney fire. Whatever floats your boat, I guess...

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I imagine the arsenic based preservatives don't offgas like creosote.

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/sites/KerrMcGee/docs/Creosote%20Health%20Effects%20%28Tronox%29.pdf

quote:

Longer exposure to creosote vapors can irritate the lungs.
Exposure to small amounts of creosote over time by
direct skin contact or by contact with creosote vapors,
may cause:
-Blistering, peeling, or reddening of the skin
-Damage to the eyes
-Increased sensitivity to sunlight

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Also some of the compounds in creosote are astoundingly powerful carcinogens. So powerful in fact that one of them (benzo-a-pyrene) was the first organic compound found to cause cancer, back in like 1905. (They tested this by painting lab rabbits with coal tar and discovering that they developed skin tumors)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I helped a friend move into a room in a pretty interesting house. First, a diagram of the upstairs, just because I thought it was so cool:

This is the second floor, so you go up the stairs, and you can either go into the big room, or turn around and go down the hallway over the stairwell to three other bedroom sized rooms. It's a 1 1/2 story house, so the walls on the left and right slope toward the floor a bit.

Anyway, that's not the crappy construction. In the bedroom at the top of the picture, there's a light that's controlled by a light switch. The light switch works exactly as you'd expect it to. However, when the light is off and you close the door, there's a split second while the door is closing where the light turns on. So can't wait for that house to burn down.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Are you sure there are no secret rooms?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm sure that closet shares a wall with the bedroom below it, I just suck at scale. And that closet is mostly under the slope of the roof, so it's like a little dungeon in there.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

FISHMANPET posted:

I helped a friend move into a room in a pretty interesting house. First, a diagram of the upstairs, just because I thought it was so cool:

This is the second floor, so you go up the stairs, and you can either go into the big room, or turn around and go down the hallway over the stairwell to three other bedroom sized rooms. It's a 1 1/2 story house, so the walls on the left and right slope toward the floor a bit.

Anyway, that's not the crappy construction. In the bedroom at the top of the picture, there's a light that's controlled by a light switch. The light switch works exactly as you'd expect it to. However, when the light is off and you close the door, there's a split second while the door is closing where the light turns on. So can't wait for that house to burn down.

Which level of "Zelda: A Link to the Past" was this?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I get badly hand-drawn plans of buildings and spaces all the time due to my job, but that is really something special.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Devor posted:

ACQ is for quitters

:colbert:

So THAT'S what ACQ is? Where I work now, we deal heavily in aluminum windows and doors. Putting our main supplier's product lines on ACQ-treated buck or wood frame voids the warranty. I bet arsenic and aluminum just get along famously. :allears:

No real clusterfuck stories, though. Yet.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I think they treat railroad ties with creosote. Those things last for over a century, totally exposed to weather and bugs. Can you use creosote-treated lumber architecturally?

Oh, telephone poles too, right?

Fun fact: there are homes on the Navajo reservation built from creosote-treated railroad ties that were salvaged decades ago. At least some of these homes also have no electricity.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

D34THROW posted:

So THAT'S what ACQ is? Where I work now, we deal heavily in aluminum windows and doors. Putting our main supplier's product lines on ACQ-treated buck or wood frame voids the warranty. I bet arsenic and aluminum just get along famously. :allears:

No, ACQ is the alternative of choice that doesn't contain arsenic. It contains copper and quaternary ammonium. The copper will cause galvanic corrosion with aluminum.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Zhentar posted:

galvanic corrosion
I just noticed there is pressure treated wood under my aluminum sliding door. Can I use it like a potato battery?

In all honesty it is probably CCA.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Wife emailed me this morning around 10:30am with her colour choice, and I finished painting around 2:00pm. I gave it a few hours to dry and started installing drop ceiling at 5:00pm. Around 8:00pm I decided to call it a night and start re-evaluating the decisions I've made in my life. . . I hate drop ceiling, and would not wish it upon my worst enemy.

It's definitely something you don't want to try and install alone, and if you have fewer than two ladders you are going to hate it even more. The best part I have discovered is trying to hold a 12' section of support "T" while trying to hook it on a temp wire, while trying to get a reading off the level so I know where it is supposed to be. Took me an hour before I thought to make about 10 prefab wire hooks at different lengths (incremental) so I could get it suspended temporarily without trying to do all of the above, while bending wire. I am 15% sure I will shoot myself when I get some tiles and possibly discover that there is not enough space between the rails and the beams to get them fitted. Hoping 2-3" is going to be enough, as I made it pretty close as it's not a call ceiling in there and I don't want a claustrophobic feeling in that room.

Maybe pics tomorrow.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I hate to say it, but that might not be enough.

My friend's parents did a drop ceiling with 2" of space. I honestly have no idea how they got the tiles in, as we couldn't figure out how to get them down to run a temporary network when he was housesitting.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
What I'm planning on doing is refraining from installing the 2' cross pieces in a few strategic places and slide the tiles over to where they need to be placed. As I complete different runs, I'll begin replacing the cross pieces until I have one last tile. I'll slide it over an already installed tile, install the crosser, then pull it back to its space and voila!. . . or so the plan goes in my head.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

My dad and uncles installed a drop ceiling for my grandma, and well, one of those uncles hasn't talked to the rest of the family since.

It was a pretty bad experience all around.

e. to be clear they seriously had a fight over the drop ceiling and haven't talked for years because of it. :psyduck:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

People do dropped ceilings outside of office environments??

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Baronjutter posted:

They're fairly common in finished basements and garage conversions.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

I did a ~600 sqft section of my basement with them with ~2" of clearance. It was hell. Absolute hell.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The low clearance ceilings are best served with flexible insulation tiles. If not, then you pop the cross sections as you go. For the last 2-3 pieces, slide the tiles up into the finished section before fully assembling the track. It takes longer but not a big deal. There are plenty of YouTube videos that show you how to do that.

I've done a few ceiling where pipes hang so low, I had to notch the track and shave material from the actual tile. Now that's an exercise in frustration.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
/\ Yah, I'm getting semi-flexible tiles, but thought that the method you described would be the way to go. Good to know I wasn't barking up the wrong tree.

Baronjutter posted:

I was going to do a typical drywall ceiling in my mud room/dog's room but decided that I would really like to have access to the plumbing that runs through the ceiling of this room. This is a north-facing room so it is the one with the most likelihood of freezing, so it would be nice to be able to address a problem (knock on wood) without having to rip 128 square feet of drywall out first.

Personally I'm not really a fan of drop ceiling in anything other than a basement, but the situation seemed to call for it here.