Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm from General China's neck of the woods (well, other side of the Tyne) and there are loads of pheasants anywhere vaguely rural. They're as delicious as they are moronic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I feel a need to point out, now that General China has abandoned his responsibilities and even started this derail, that i have literally never even (knowingly) seen a pheasant and if any of you have experience with them you will all be first against the wall. Unless he started this derail as a clever way of flushing out all the upper-class types...

(My hunting experience comes from the massive (in numbers and in size) infestation of rats that happened in my childhood after they closed the docks - there's a reason The Rats was based on the Isle of Dogs)

e: what an unfortunate typo

Pheasants are more common than you think.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
If General China still needs ideas for pheasant capture there's a few nice ones here.
Also, grats on having a cat that knows the only good rabbit is a dead one.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pissflaps posted:

Not in Sao-Paolo-by-Thames.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

My ferret managed to catch a pheasant and I had to wring the bloody things neck, which taught me never to walk a ferret while blind drunk in Cornwall.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Not a lesson most of us have to learn

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I feel a need to point out, now that General China has abandoned his responsibilities and even started this derail, that i have literally never even (knowingly) seen a pheasant and if any of you have experience with them you will all be first against the wall. Unless he started this derail as a clever way of flushing out all the upper-class types...

(My hunting experience comes from the massive (in numbers and in size) infestation of rats that happened in my childhood after they closed the docks - there's a reason The Rats was based on the Isle of Dogs)

e: what an unfortunate typo

I've seen a bunch of pheasants, they were bred on some poshos land out in the east near where I grew up (we used to go get hosed up in their woods and swim in their ponds) oh cuntry life.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Pissflaps posted:

Anyone who's lived in the south will be familiar with this sight...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PheasantImpact2.jpg

Seriously though, in the south west pheasants are probably right behind sea gulls and pigeons.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
Watching IDS on Andrew Marr this morning, the man is a supervillan.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Bozza posted:

Watching IDS on Andrew Marr this morning, the man is a supervillan.

I know hiding an affair with a journalist behind a superinjunction is pretty bad, but that seems quite harsh.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Apparently Sheffield's half-marathon was cancelled this morning because the organisers hadn't supplied any water, but lots of people ran it anyway and had local people supplying them with drinks :3:

e: Although it seems like the police are trying to stop people who are trying to run :confused:

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Apr 6, 2014

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012
Are Buckingham Palace sentries' rifles loaded with live ammunition?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

HortonNash posted:

if we answer that will we be arrested for supplying information for planning a terrorist act?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

HortonNash posted:

Short answer: no.

Longer answer: The ceremonial guards in the big hats carry an SA80 which doesn't have any ammunition in it (but does have a fixed bayonet) because it's recognised that on ceremonial duty live ammunition is far too much of a risk for the tiny benefit it may bring. However the actual sentries at Wellington Barracks just round the corner do carry live ammunition, as do the armed Police officers who are actually the people responsible for guarding the Palaces.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
I do wonder if it is ignorance or arrogance that leads MPs to treat their crimes as no big deal. If a normal person stole thousands of pounds and committed fraud against their employer they would lose their job and go to prison, expecting the same to happen to Miller is a 'witch hunt' apparently. This is after MPs already commuted Miller's crimes way down from what the investigation found her guilty of.

It's disgusting.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Short answer: no.

Longer answer: The ceremonial guards in the big hats carry an SA80 which doesn't have any ammunition in it (but does have a fixed bayonet) because it's recognised that on ceremonial duty live ammunition is far too much of a risk for the tiny benefit it may bring. However the actual sentries at Wellington Barracks just round the corner do carry live ammunition, as do the armed Police officers who are actually the people responsible for guarding the Palaces.

So the guard who held his rifle in the face of some shouty guy the other day was essentially threatening to stab him with the bayonet?

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

ReV VAdAUL posted:

I do wonder if it is ignorance or arrogance that leads MPs to treat their crimes as no big deal. If a normal person stole thousands of pounds and committed fraud against their employer they would lose their job and go to prison, expecting the same to happen to Miller is a 'witch hunt' apparently. This is after MPs already commuted Miller's crimes way down from what the investigation found her guilty of.

It's disgusting.

Its more a keenly developed sense of entitlement. This is also one of the most characteristic definers of being a member of the middle classes.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
loving hell. The BBC News website has an article about IDS' bullshit on Andrew Marr and it's pure, 100% towing IDS' line.

quote:

The work and pensions secretary has defended changes to the welfare system, including disability benefit reforms.
Iain Duncan Smith has said the raft of changes should save the taxpayer £50bn by the end of this Parliament.
Among them are new tougher criteria that disabled people must meet to be granted allowances, which have been criticised as harsh and unfair.
But Mr Duncan Smith said the changes would "help and benefit" those who were well enough to get back into work.
"I think the work programme is now for the first time ever working with people, who were once on sickness benefits and who are now not, going back to work," Mr Duncan Smith told BBC One's Andrew Marr Show.

He said the new regime would see disabled benefits claimants assessed on a regular basis to determine whether they need more support with their ailments or help to get work.
"There were over a million [people] not looked at for over 10 years," Mr Duncan Smith said.
"These regular reviews, I think, will help them and benefit them. We haven't introduced this to hurt or to harm disabled people. The purpose is to try to support disabled people."

He said: "The idea is to get people assessed so that we can find out those whose conditions have improved can then seek work, and many are going back to work now , and those who need full support get that full support."
The government has been gradually rolling out the new Personal Independence Payment (Pip) to replace the Disability Living Allowance (DLA).
Under the old disability regime, claimants had to prove they could walk no further than 50m without support to receive the top end of the allowance.
Now, they will have to prove they can manage no more than 20m to benefit from the top payment.
Mr Duncan Smith insisted this was not a straight forward change, and that people would be assessed in two stages - on how much difficulty they have in reaching 20m first, and then 50m.
"What we're trying to do with these reforms is to get them to be fair so that the people who need them get better payments, and those who don't need the higher levels don't take the higher levels," Mr Duncan Smith said.

Under the DLA system, he said, 70% of people who made a claim got awards "for life".
The new regime will include regular face-to-face checks to establish the extent of claimants' ailments.
Meanwhile, the work and pensions secretary said the government had sought to end a contract with the firm Atos, which was tasked with assessing whether benefit claimants were fit to work.
Mr Duncan Smith said it was not Atos that had ended the arrangement, despite reports.
He added that the taxpayer would pay nothing for the early break in the contract and that Atos would pay reparations for failing to perform what it was supposed to.
"They didn't ask us to go, we've asked them," he said.
"We will not pay a penny for that. They will actually pay reparations for failure to achieve what they were meant to achieve."
He said the government would immediately compete for other contracts.

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) expects almost half of the £50bn in savings to come in the next 12 months.
The raft of welfare reforms, introduced a year ago, also included what the government calls the removal of the "spare room subsidy" but critics call the "bedroom tax".
Mr Duncan Smith, defending it, said it was not a tax but rather a "balanced and fair" policy for taxpayers.
He said for years, people had been subsidised to live in accommodation they could not fully occupy.
He said taxpayers on low and marginal incomes had to choose a house based on what they could afford, and that he believed it was "quite right" that those on social housing faced the same choice.

The only thing I can assume is that the BBC staffer was writing up what IDS had said and was going to fill in the rebuttal parts later, but wandered off for a coffee and someone else click 'Post'. If not, then I have no idea whatsoever.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

kingturnip posted:

loving hell. The BBC News website has an article about IDS' bullshit on Andrew Marr and it's pure, 100% towing IDS' line.

The only thing I can assume is that the BBC staffer was writing up what IDS had said and was going to fill in the rebuttal parts later, but wandered off for a coffee and someone else click 'Post'. If not, then I have no idea whatsoever.

Is it toeing the line to report what a minister says?

That article looks like a straight up news report, without any comment/opinion in favour or against the government position. To be honest, I'd rather news organisations separate their news and opinion pieces, otherwise you end up with Fox News.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

HortonNash posted:

That article looks like a straight up news report, without any comment/opinion in favour or against the government position. To be honest, I'd rather news organisations separate their news and opinion pieces, otherwise you end up with Fox News.

IDS is someone who will brook no rebuttal, anyway. What he believes is correct. Look forward to people in wheelchairs being forced into window cleaning or hod carrying. This is of course believing the fact that disability only manifests in physical form.

There is no way anything caring or constructive can come from that man.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

HortonNash posted:

If I want a synopsis of what a minister has said, I'll get the press release.
Example: This is basically the same as the BBC report with the exception that the BBC article appends bits with "He said".

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

HortonNash posted:

IDS' opinions have nothing to do with facts though, reporting them in a factual manner (as-is with zero commentary) lends them an authoritative weight they by no means deserve.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

HortonNash posted:

So the guard who held his rifle in the face of some shouty guy the other day was essentially threatening to stab him with the bayonet?

Yes, and he's likely to get in trouble for it - there were police already there and they are the ones supposed to deal with that sort of thing. for hopefully obvious reasons the armed forces are not supposed to intervene in civilian matters unless specifically requested to do so unless there is a direct danger to life and limb.

He'll probably get a slap on the wrist because it would be a PR nightmare if they were to throw out one of ARE BRAVE BOYS who was DEFENDING HER MAJESTY FROM A WOG CRAZED ATTACKER.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Im not normally one to defend soldiers but you can hardly blame a militaristic trained killer for doing his job can you. And he managed not to kill him.

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 6, 2014

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Seaside Loafer posted:

Im not normally one to defend soldiers but you can hardly blame a militaristic trained killer for doing his job can you. And he managed not to kill him.

That's the point though, it's not his job. He left his post without reason - a massive no-no - and broke his Rules of Engagement, which is grounds for court-martial and imprisonment in other circumstances. The Household Guards, especially on public duty, are supposed to be the very best and most disciplined troops we have, which is the whole point of having them standing there in silly clothes (to show off just how disciplined they are).

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

HortonNash posted:

Uncritically reporting talking points (lies) from right wing political parties as fact is how the BBC avoids becoming like fox news?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Seaside Loafer posted:

It wasn't his job

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

16 months seems a bit rough.

http://news.sky.com/story/1237806/buckingham-palace-gun-drama-at-gates

He didn't actually do anything.

e: i got done for possession of an offencive weapon and got a night in jail and a caution, the guy must have a record or something. Or just be black.

vvv i did as well

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 6, 2014

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

He did threaten someone with a knifle, that's not nothing.

Edit: Oh wait I thought that was the soldier that was sentenced. Nevermind.

namesake fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 6, 2014

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Yeah but guys, they insulted the QUEEN! ARE QUEEN! ROYUL FAMILY!

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

goddamnedtwisto posted:

He'll probably get a slap on the wrist because it would be a PR nightmare if they were to throw out one of ARE BRAVE BOYS who was DEFENDING HER MAJESTY FROM A WOG CRAZED ATTACKER.

I suppose you could spin it as a fairly major failing in that the shouting tourist who the police were already dealing with could've been a distraction and abandoning his post played into that. Though as noted they aren't really guarding the queen so I'm not really sure if that would stick.

No way the press will do anything but praise his 'bravery' of course.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

ReV VAdAUL posted:

No way the press will do anything but praise his 'bravery' of course.

How brave that man was, to shove a bayonet in a man's face, going against his training and disregarding his job to courageously threaten a dar- I mean an African gentleman.

Don't have friends on Facebook who are fans of the 'British Monarchist League', it won't do your blood pressure any good.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
What are the common reasons given in favour of monarchy? I cannot comprehend why so many people are actively in favour of it.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

ReV VAdAUL posted:

What are the common reasons given in favour of monarchy? I cannot comprehend why so many people are actively in favour of it.

Imagine President <insert politician you don't like> representing our country and it generates a ton of tourism are the two big ones I hear.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
There is a kinda roundabout argument that it's a lot harder to bribe a monarch than a president, which is the best I can think of.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Tradition, tourism and some idiocy about how if we remove the monarchy it undermines the legal underpinnings of the state and the law is what I've heard when it comes up.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Apart from Clinton recently they have all pretty much been figreheads havent they? Oh sorry i'll except Obama from that he does seem to be actually driving an agenda.

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 6, 2014

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Ferrosol posted:

Imagine President <insert politician you don't like> representing our country and it generates a ton of tourism are the two big ones I hear.

Its not like anybody goes on holiday to France ever.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Seaside Loafer posted:

Apart from Clinton recently they have all pretty much been figreheads havent they? Oh sorry i'll except Obama from that he does seem to be actually driving an agenda.

Counterpoint: Putin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Ferrosol posted:

Imagine President Charles representing our country

:suicide:

• Locked thread