Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
That is true, the Lu Bu characters all start at level 30 for some reason, so you will get high level weapons from playing it. Story wise you can do it before Jin, but it will make Jin easy because you will find sick weapons to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Okay, great, thanks for the advice chaps, I'll probably save Lu Bu for last then. Really enjoying the game, glad I decided to get it.

E: Forgot to ask, there are so many different weapons and whatnot, do some people do better with different weapon types or does it not matter? Also I'm really not too sure about this Earth, Heaven and Man thing, from what the tutorial said they do different damage types that some enemies are more vulnerable against, does it do anything more than that?

RoboJoe fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 5, 2014

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
The Earth, Heaven, and Man weapons are basically just a Rock, Paper, Scissors situation. Sometimes you see enemies that have an exclamation point in a triangle above their head. That means your weapon type is at a disadvantage and you won't be able to do a lot of damage or stagger that enemy. If there is a blue gem above the enemy's head, then your weapon has the advantage, and if you hit the enemy enough, the gem will break and you do a bonus attack called a Storm Rush. No symbol above their head means your weapons are the same and no one gets an advantage.

So ideally you want to equip two different weapon types, so if you are stuck at a disadvantage with one, you can at least switch to a different type. The tutorial should also explain Switch Counters, which you can do for a quick attack boost if your weapon is at a disadvantage.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

RoboJoe posted:

Okay, great, thanks for the advice chaps, I'll probably save Lu Bu for last then. Really enjoying the game, glad I decided to get it.

E: Forgot to ask, there are so many different weapons and whatnot, do some people do better with different weapon types or does it not matter? Also I'm really not too sure about this Earth, Heaven and Man thing, from what the tutorial said they do different damage types that some enemies are more vulnerable against, does it do anything more than that?

1. There are stars next to each weapon depending on what character you're using. Each character is divided into four groups: Whirlwind, Shadow Sprint, Dive, and Dash. Each weapon falls into the category of one of these four overarching types, and each character is fully compatible with one weapon type and varying levels of the others. There are skills you can unlock to get the full effects of conflicting character-weapons, but what the stars really do is give you a bit of extra attack and you are still encouraged to mix & match whatever weapon with whatever character you want. Now, these four abilities mean something in particular and do something unique. Say you had a character with 4 stars in Dive and they used a Dive weapon, like Cao Pi - if you get hit, you can press X to do a backflip and get out of danger at any time. With Shadow Sprint you can chain combos better by pressing X during charge attacks, Dash lets you do an air-dash to get around the map faster and do speedier combos, and Whirlwind characters stir up a storm when they attack for a little bit of damage, but none of them make or break the game on their own.

2. Each weapon has an affinity on it, Earth, Heaven, and Man as you've seen. What this means is that if you're equipped with a Man weapon, the red one, and an enemy is using a blue one, the Heaven affinity, your attacks will not stagger them (unless it's musou), they do more damage to you, and they can storm rush you, but there is a good reason to do this: you can do weapon switch counters a lot easier (when they try to storm rush you) which the tutorial showed gives you a buff for a few seconds. If you have the rock to their paper, then their attacks do less damage against you, you can initiate storm rushes on them and generally it's easier to murder them. Oddly enough even if you have the overwhelming affinity their attacks can still stagger you.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

So, the last 'Warriors' Era game I got to play was 6 (I know, I know, I hated it too), and the Basara series kind of sucked me in, but, with Basara 4 practically guaranteed to not get the Koei treatment of a translation and port, I'm in need of a Warriors style game to satisfy that itch.

What would the thread recommend more: 8XL, or Warriors Orochi 3?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Orochi 3 is longer and has a unique story, and also has every character and then some. However, it gets really loving hard later, and there's quite a bit of bond grinding to get all the characters/side missions. It does have a map editor and the ability to download custom maps, so it might last forever.

8XL's story mode is much lighter on the other hand, and I'm finding it a lot easier as well. It does have some mechanics that Orochi doesn't, like the weapon switching and rage mode however. It's also a lot more focused since you don't have 150 characters to worry about.

E: Also 8XL requires two purchases unless you're getting the vita/ps4 version.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 5, 2014

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Magil of Shadow posted:

So, the last 'Warriors' Era game I got to play was 6 (I know, I know, I hated it too), and the Basara series kind of sucked me in, but, with Basara 4 practically guaranteed to not get the Koei treatment of a translation and port, I'm in need of a Warriors style game to satisfy that itch.

What would the thread recommend more: 8XL, or Warriors Orochi 3?

You can't really go wrong with either, but Orochi's cheaper and if you just need an itch scratched it's a pretty safe bet. We might get Ultimate in the near future if the stars align so if that puts you off, just go for 8XL.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Elliotw2 posted:

Orochi 3 is longer and has a unique story, and also has every character and then some. However, it gets really loving hard later, and there's quite a bit of bond grinding to get all the characters/side missions. It does have a map editor and the ability to download custom maps, so it might last forever.

8XL's story mode is much lighter on the other hand, and I'm finding it a lot easier as well. It does have some mechanics that Orochi doesn't, like the weapon switching and rage mode however. It's also a lot more focused since you don't have 150 characters to worry about.

E: Also 8XL requires two purchases unless you're getting the vita/ps4 version.

Dj Meow Mix posted:

You can't really go wrong with either, but Orochi's cheaper and if you just need an itch scratched it's a pretty safe bet. We might get Ultimate in the near future if the stars align so if that puts you off, just go for 8XL.

At this point, I'll probably wait, see if there's a chance we get Complete, if only because I lack a PS4/Vita, and I'm a sucker for having 'all the content' and such.

Course, by then, we might have news on if we're getting Samurai Warriors 4 on this end or not, which would spark more of my interest, as the original was what really got me into the series.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

RoboJoe posted:

I haven't played one of these games since one of the early ones on the PS2, but on a whim I decided to pick up Dynasty Warriors 8 for my PS4 as it was released yesterday.
I'm on this boat, and I have some questions:

What controls when the blacksmith sells higher-level weapons? Character level?

What will fill up the affinity stars for each weapon type? In Lu Bu's campaign they were all full, now in the other campaigns only the first star is full. Is it just character level again?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Sindai posted:

I'm on this boat, and I have some questions:

What controls when the blacksmith sells higher-level weapons? Character level?

What will fill up the affinity stars for each weapon type? In Lu Bu's campaign they were all full, now in the other campaigns only the first star is full. Is it just character level again?

Character level does the stars, blacksmith is based on campaign progress.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Elliotw2 posted:

Character level does the stars, blacksmith is based on campaign progress.

Just to add to this. When you do Story Mode for a nation all the officers for that nation level up as you go. So, if you go through Wei on Normal first all the Wei characters will probably be around level 30 when you finish. All the other characters will still be at level 1. When you start a new nation's story, the blacksmith also resets.

Ambition mode is its own beast but that's where you can do weapon fusing and all that fun stuff. It's not that important when you're just starting out, but if you want to tackle the harder difficulties you'll be messing around with it a bunch. I haven't even started in on it yet.

Also, if you want good weapons quick play the Challenge mode. Until April 17th the weapon prizes are boosted. I think you get a weapon if you place in the top 3 scores?

Static Rook fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 6, 2014

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Lunethex posted:

1. There are stars next to each weapon depending on what character you're using. Each character is divided into four groups: Whirlwind, Shadow Sprint, Dive, and Dash. Each weapon falls into the category of one of these four overarching types, and each character is fully compatible with one weapon type and varying levels of the others. There are skills you can unlock to get the full effects of conflicting character-weapons, but what the stars really do is give you a bit of extra attack and you are still encouraged to mix & match whatever weapon with whatever character you want. Now, these four abilities mean something in particular and do something unique. Say you had a character with 4 stars in Dive and they used a Dive weapon, like Cao Pi - if you get hit, you can press X to do a backflip and get out of danger at any time. With Shadow Sprint you can chain combos better by pressing X during charge attacks, Dash lets you do an air-dash to get around the map faster and do speedier combos, and Whirlwind characters stir up a storm when they attack for a little bit of damage, but none of them make or break the game on their own.

2. Each weapon has an affinity on it, Earth, Heaven, and Man as you've seen. What this means is that if you're equipped with a Man weapon, the red one, and an enemy is using a blue one, the Heaven affinity, your attacks will not stagger them (unless it's musou), they do more damage to you, and they can storm rush you, but there is a good reason to do this: you can do weapon switch counters a lot easier (when they try to storm rush you) which the tutorial showed gives you a buff for a few seconds. If you have the rock to their paper, then their attacks do less damage against you, you can initiate storm rushes on them and generally it's easier to murder them. Oddly enough even if you have the overwhelming affinity their attacks can still stagger you.

Thanks for all this, it's given me a much better understanding on the systems.

I do have a further question in regards to compatibility: I'm looking at a guy now (Dian Wei) who has 1 star in Dash and Dive, a gold and black star in Shadow Sprint and a Gold plus 3 black stars in Whirlwind. I'm guessing that those black stars will become gold to show that character is more compatible with the weapons at some point, does that happen when the character levels up or when I use the weapon type in battle?

Also in regards to Affinity, I'm looking at equipping weapons on this same character in this case Twin Axes. He has the three options for Heaven, Earth and Man, but also two further options for Heaven and earth which have bonus elements (one called Flurry). What causes these extra affinities to appear? Is it because he has a 4 compatibility with that type?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
So I had my first session with Dynasty Warriors 8 on the PS4 yesterday. I played all the tutorial stages then continued with the first 3 or 4 stages of Lu Bu's story. But when I started the game up today it couldn't find my save file anymore and asked me to make a new save. All my progress is gone now, and while it's not a great loss that I can't redo in a few hours it has me hesitant to put any time into the game in case it happens again.

The only thing I've noticed is that this time it asked me if I wanted to import DW PS3 save data, which it didn't earlier (maybe because it wasn't finished downloading?), and some cursory googling doesn't seem to indicate that this is a wide spread problem.

It also seems that unlike Infamous: SS, it hasn't automatically uploaded the save data to PS+ online storage, which is a bit of a bummer now that it's gone locally. I know you can manually save from the options menu, but I'm assuming the game auto-saves and that you don't HAVE to manually save the game? Because if you do I both feel dumb now and feel like the game is dumb for not having something as simple as an auto-save.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

RoboJoe posted:

I'm guessing that those black stars will become gold to show that character is more compatible with the weapons at some point, does that happen when the character levels up or when I use the weapon type in battle?

When the character levels up.

quote:

What causes these extra affinities to appear? Is it because he has a 4 compatibility with that type?

Those are weapon affinities. The higher difficulty / later through the game you're on, the more chance of getting them on weapons you pick up. In Ambition mode you can burn weapon materials at the blacksmith to pass these between different weapons, so the idea is to save up a bunch of weapons with affinities you want and stack them all onto one high-powered weapon for your favorite character.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Ah I see. What I didn't realise is that those weapons with the extra elements are different weapons, I thought I had one weapon (for example the Twin Axe) and I could just choose from the different affinities with it, but actually I have at least 3 weapons (one for each affinity) and some extra ones I must have picked up which had the bonus elements on their affinities.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Finished up all the Lu Bu stuff last night, probably my favourite storyline just for Chen Gong (It's really weird though that Lingqi never even shows up in the hypothetical route, I was hoping for a scene with Diaochan at least.)

Anyway, best parts:

-Chen Gong's rant at Cao Cao at the end of the historical route
-Chen Gong straight up telling Lu Bu just before the hypothetical route's final battle that he joined up with him because he thought it was the best way to gain ultimate power, and Lu Bu pretty much just responding 'That's cool.'
-Unassuming Generic officer Cheng Liang's body count in the final battle: he killed Sun Quan, Zhou Yu, Liu Bei, Zhang Fei and Guan Yu. Not bad for a guy with a one sentence biography on kongming.net.

Jack Burton Windu
Oct 4, 2004
It's all in the Jedi Reflexes...
I had some trouble trying to open the hypothetical route for Lu Bu's campaign yesterday. Do I need to do a level under a specific difficulty for it to unlock?

I was pretty disappointed with the historical campaign because basically Lu Bu's forces were annihilating the enemy and still had to keep running away. Also I wanted to smack Chen Gong's smarmy little face off.

Edit: thanks for the quick answer, I was just redoing the crossroads level, not the ones leading up to it as well.

Jack Burton Windu fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 7, 2014

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

You have to do every objective for the stages leading up to the crossroads, for example Hua Xiong needs to survive and you have to save him. You can view the objectives by looking at the stages in stage select, or find them online. I think they're hidden before you beat a stage, but you can still accomplish them if you know what they are.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

A friend of mine and I picked up DW8 for the PS4 last week and finally got a chance to play it today. We've been having a blast but the online play has been giving us some difficulties.

First of all, we don't even appear to be fighting the same fight. At times I would see his character slashing his sword at the air while he would tell me that he was fighting a big hoard of enemies on his screen. There would also be times where one of us was wailing on an enemy general which would then suddenly disappear because the other player defeated that same general on the other side of the arena. A little while into the play session the game started disconnecting us from one another over and over again, which is when we gave up. :(

This is the first Dynasty Warriors game for both of us, so we didn't really know what to expect. Is this par for the course for a DW game or is this something that might end up getting fixed?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I think it is just how it does online. I play online with two PS3's in the same room, and you would be surprised how many games are straight up wacky when you play online. DW8 we noticed that officers could be in completely different spots on each others maps, and whoever kills their version first removes the officer from the map. And then Resident Evil: Revelations, sometimes there are like 50 feet differences in monsters between games.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I think it only synchronizes just a few things between players, like where they are on the map and the current status of the stage, like which enemy officers are alive or dead.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
That's completely ridiculous. At least there's not online exclusive content.

It's like Tecmo Koei finally realized that they are the only people doing what they do with any modicum of success or frequency, so they can just take the Bethesda approach to playtestihg of "it's not like we'll. e losing sales to Capcom lol".

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I'm actually surprised it doesn't sync officer position. The online mode sounds very familiar to how Toukiden worked, where only the major boss enemies are actually location synced.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
It sounds really dumb and bad that officers aren't consistent, but if you are playing "strategically" both players are rarely near each other so it doesn't really matter in the end.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
As someone who played and liked Dynasty Warriors 7, does enough change in 8 to make it worth picking up? I tend to play every odd-numbered installment of Dynasty Warriors, but 8 looks kind of tempting.

Also, do I need DW 8 XL to play the Lu Bu campaign?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Quiet Python posted:

As someone who played and liked Dynasty Warriors 7, does enough change in 8 to make it worth picking up? I tend to play every odd-numbered installment of Dynasty Warriors, but 8 looks kind of tempting.

If you don't have WO3 I'd try that first, it's pretty neat.

I bought DW8 somewhat recently used for only $35 and I'd say it's worth that. The story feels a lot more shallow compared with 7, but the combat on the whole is a lot better. Conquest was removed in favor of a less interesting "Ambition mode" that I still don't understand other than "grind the same few maps over and over", but that's not saying much because Conquest wasn't interesting at all. DW8 DOES have free mode, and weapon fusion, and 5th level weapons that involve playing stages on hard and completing objectives (like it SHOULD BE), not just grinding for gold to buy them.

The stages look fantastic, the combat feels fluid, there's more characters and stages overall so the question is: Do you want to play another DW game? If yes, 8 is perfect.

No idea on XL Lu Bu, haven't gotten there yet

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Quiet Python posted:

Yes to everything.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Thank you for the swift responses. I do have WO3 and it's fun to crash through with two players.

Maybe I'll get 8 next week, and try for XL once it's done if I decide I want more.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Oh, this reminds me, why the hell does WO3 have Free mode? You can already use any officer in any mission, so I can't find out why it's an option.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Elliotw2 posted:

Oh, this reminds me, why the hell does WO3 have Free mode? You can already use any officer in any mission, so I can't find out why it's an option.

So you don't need to walk around the base...? It really is meaningless.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

So you don't need to walk around the base...? It really is meaningless.

You still walk around the base. It literally does nothing as far as I can tell.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Free Mode in WO3 removes all the dialogue scenes before and after each stage. It save some time if you just want to dick around and play levels.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I just started Kamen Rider: Battride War and I think I can see some good in this, like it's obviously a first pass and not amazing or anything of the sort but there's something here. It's really janky however. The frame rate can chug for split seconds while doing your crowd clearing and the game's basic combat mechanics seem really odd. I'm used to Light, Strong, Musou (+ True Musou) but Battride War is like Attack Modes 1, 2, 3, Transform, Boss Finisher Move. The Musou seems to be just transforming your guy into some kind of robot thing that tears poo poo up and I'm not sure what I think of that. I'm only a little bit into the "Chronicle Mode" but this Wizard guy seems alright, even if I don't know anyone else in this game at all (I have to make up names for them myself, I think it's more fun thatway) so I'm feeling it out.

Wizard guy seems weird. All his "move settings" are weird and clunky. Like you've got the basic one that inexplicably starts with spread shot gunfire before turning into standard swordery, then you've got "Freezeu" which makes a big arm come out, and then the third one is spinny fire kicks which takes so long to come out it seems useless. I dunno, maybe there's some kind of linked combo system I'm not noticing because there's barely any English documentation about these mechanics and I'm relying on a sparsely updated translation wiki and Google Cache remnants of the Japanese Battride War 1 strategy wiki (because the current one is apparently banned due to misconduct?)

Hey, guy in this thread who played Battride War! Do you have any tips or can tell me anything I should know when I play this?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Policenaut posted:

I just started Kamen Rider: Battride War and I think I can see some good in this, like it's obviously a first pass and not amazing or anything of the sort but there's something here. It's really janky however. The frame rate can chug for split seconds while doing your crowd clearing and the game's basic combat mechanics seem really odd. I'm used to Light, Strong, Musou (+ True Musou) but Battride War is like Attack Modes 1, 2, 3, Transform, Boss Finisher Move. The Musou seems to be just transforming your guy into some kind of robot thing that tears poo poo up and I'm not sure what I think of that. I'm only a little bit into the "Chronicle Mode" but this Wizard guy seems alright, even if I don't know anyone else in this game at all (I have to make up names for them myself, I think it's more fun thatway) so I'm feeling it out.

Wizard guy seems weird. All his "move settings" are weird and clunky. Like you've got the basic one that inexplicably starts with spread shot gunfire before turning into standard swordery, then you've got "Freezeu" which makes a big arm come out, and then the third one is spinny fire kicks which takes so long to come out it seems useless. I dunno, maybe there's some kind of linked combo system I'm not noticing because there's barely any English documentation about these mechanics and I'm relying on a sparsely updated translation wiki and Google Cache remnants of the Japanese Battride War 1 strategy wiki (because the current one is apparently banned due to misconduct?)

Hey, guy in this thread who played Battride War! Do you have any tips or can tell me anything I should know when I play this?

Well, for starters, every single character pretty much plays in a unique way, which they have to, because it's Kamen Rider so everything is loving weird. Knowing the shows helps a bit, but if you don't know any of them, you're gonna be confused for a long time about things. Such as, why is this guy shoving medals into him and changing forms? Why does this guy have a really lovely mode where he's super slow but in the other one he's got like literal ZA WARUDO time stopping abilities? What is with this motorcycle gauge!?

Also it's important to keep in mind that, unlike Musou, characters play RADICALLY different as they level up, getting a bunch of new stuff almost every level up until around 20 or so. Some of these things make or break a character. If a mechanic seems weird, or pointless, or too weak, it's probably because you unlock something later that changes it around. Get used to levelling up and wondering what the gently caress changed this time. I recommend playing every Rider until level 20 to get a feel from them before deciding on who to really focus on.

Since I don't actually know any Japanese, I can't really help with stuff like figure ability descriptions or anything, but I played most of the Riders until level 20, so if you need help with individual Rider mechanics I can probably help out. For instance, Wizard gets a bunch of rings as he levels up (that's his thing in the show, having a bunch of magic rings that do random poo poo), giving him new moves and forms. Mostly though, you'll be using Wizard for his great crowd control abilities. His spread shot thing is really handy a lot of the time. I was never too big into Wizard (mostly because the series is pretty bad), so I don't really recall much of his playstyle.

Edit: The wiki doesn't really seem that bad, if you're using this one. It seems to have pretty much everything you'd actually need.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 9, 2014

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Infinity Gaia posted:

Also it's important to keep in mind that, unlike Musou, characters play RADICALLY different as they level up, getting a bunch of new stuff almost every level up until around 20 or so. Some of these things make or break a character. If a mechanic seems weird, or pointless, or too weak, it's probably because you unlock something later that changes it around.

That actually sounds pretty awesome. How much of a hindrance would not knowing Japanese be if I wanted to pick this up?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Keeshhound posted:

That actually sounds pretty awesome. How much of a hindrance would not knowing Japanese be if I wanted to pick this up?

Well there's a wiki for the figures (which are essentially things you slot into characters for various effects), and besides that everything is pretty simple to figure out, so not particularly. The wiki also details the various Rider mechanics, more or less, so that's also not an issue.

It's actually a pretty simplistic game despite the different mechanics each Rider uses. It also suffers rather drastically from a lack of stages. You'll be seeing the same few ones over and over again. Also of note is that if you don't get the SPECIAL TV SOUND EDITION the music is incredibly lackluster. Honestly, besides the rather fun and unique aspect of having each Rider play really different, it's a pretty below-average Musou clone.

Honestly, unless you're actually into Kamen Rider a lot, I'd wait until the sequel which is coming out relatively soon (June) and will probably fix some of the rough edges the first game has. It's still a fun game, just kind of rough. It really shows that making a Musou game is not as easy as some people seem to think.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Aw, that's a shame. Sounds a bit like the problems Basara 3 had too; a lot of the movesets were really unique and the different officers had enough gimmicks to feel different, but having to play through the same stages for each campaign got old real quick.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah, I see the deal about the stages. I just finished the 2nd Awakening of Heroes plot line and I've seen the same stages quite a bit now, and none of them are very big. The cast is also really weird too, because I hate using a third of them but they usually have one weird gimmick (i.e. drum guy has that insane fireball projectile) or they're really good when you transform them but you have to put up with their lovely moveset outside of that. I just got that Kiva guy and his debut stage is him in permanent transformation mode, so he's literally a golden god wrecking people with his awesome moves, but then the next mission he's a regular dude with some kind of DMC-esque brawler moveset with linked attacks.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, I see the deal about the stages. I just finished the 2nd Awakening of Heroes plot line and I've seen the same stages quite a bit now, and none of them are very big. The cast is also really weird too, because I hate using a third of them but they usually have one weird gimmick (i.e. drum guy has that insane fireball projectile) or they're really good when you transform them but you have to put up with their lovely moveset outside of that. I just got that Kiva guy and his debut stage is him in permanent transformation mode, so he's literally a golden god wrecking people with his awesome moves, but then the next mission he's a regular dude with some kind of DMC-esque brawler moveset with linked attacks.

Hibiki is honestly kinda weak but you'll love him if you're going for the achievement for 1000 hit combo because his drum solo thing does like seventeen billion hits in a wide area. Kiva... I never played much with Kiva. I liked his series somewhat, but I dunno, I was just not terribly interested in him during the game. Probably because I think by that point I might have already had Kabuto. Kabuto is straight up my favorite, he gets mad style points for his particular Rider Kick. Try him out once you get him, if you don't already.

Also, I dunno if you have him yet, but Faiz is gonna seem really underwhelming at first glance. The thing to know about him is that as you level, the requirements to enter his combo-based super mode lower, which makes him a seriously insane force of nature later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnxiousSloth
Jul 22, 2007
Red and filled with butter, just like nature intended
This is going to sound a bit strange but did they make Ambition mode harder in the PS4 Dynasty Warriors 8XLCE? I remember being able to get up to around battle 60 with no real issue on vanilla DW8 on PS3 with no real issue but I'm struggling to get past stage 11 with how exponential the health of the enemies are becoming. The worst part is I'm going in on beginner so it really should be as much of an issue. Perhaps I went in originally on a harder difficulty and that changed things? I'm not sure what my issue is to be honest, I'm using Zhou Tai at level 52 with his third level weapon so it shouldn't be that difficult.