Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Count Bleck posted:

IS THAT THE 3/1 VIGILANCE 3 DROP?

What IS this deck?! :aaaaa:

Its a 2 drop actually, brushstrider is the star of this tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

SCUMBAG MONO BLACK FIST PUMPING
MONO GREEN HAS TO WIN

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I have not been this excited about wizard rectangles for a long time. GO PLAYGROUND GREEN!

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

and the monoblack guy taking an obnoxious selfie

this is the worst thing that has ever happened

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
jesus christ the mull to 4 got pretty loving close to victory (granted the monoB player played like poo poo)

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Would've been pretty awesome to see that Mono Green deck win on a mull to 4, really would've rather seen that deck move on.

I missed the Round 1 coverage and just watched Adrian Sullivan's Round 1 matchup (UW Control vs. Esper Control) and with 10 minutes for game three both players were playing at a ridiculous pace. I don't think I've ever seen anyone playing magic that fast let alone two control players.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Want the decklist for mono-G aggro.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Sade posted:

Want the decklist for mono-G aggro.

Here it is!

It's cool + cute.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
Just got back from a BOTG gameday tournament. Played Esper Control and ended up going 2-1-1 with my only loss being to one of my friends who won the tournament. Also I made the absolute dumbest mistake possible and will never do it again. On the match I lost I was sitting at 2 life my friend was at 14. I played a Jace and -2'd to get an Aetherling and play it as well but didn't leave a blue mana open (and still had several untapped lands). At the beginning of my friend's turn he played Hero's Downfall and I couldn't exile Aetherling because I had no blue mana. Aetherling died and I lost, and I had enough mana to make him unblockable/pump him 4x/exile. Would have won in two turns but in my excitement didn't pay attention to my mana. My friend told me after that he had nothing in his hand that would have beat Aetherling and I would have won had I been able to exile him. :negative:

tl;dr: Don't ever play an Aetherling if you don't have a free blue mana after casting him.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
I can't believe Mending Touch got played on a Constructed stream.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

morning wood posted:

Just got back from a BOTG gameday tournament. Played Esper Control and ended up going 2-1-1 with my only loss being to one of my friends who won the tournament. Also I made the absolute dumbest mistake possible and will never do it again. On the match I lost I was sitting at 2 life my friend was at 14. I played a Jace and -2'd to get an Aetherling and play it as well but didn't leave a blue mana open (and still had several untapped lands). At the beginning of my friend's turn he played Hero's Downfall and I couldn't exile Aetherling because I had no blue mana. Aetherling died and I lost, and I had enough mana to make him unblockable/pump him 4x/exile. Would have won in two turns but in my excitement didn't pay attention to my mana. My friend told me after that he had nothing in his hand that would have beat Aetherling and I would have won had I been able to exile him. :negative:

tl;dr: Don't ever play an Aetherling if you don't have a free blue mana after casting him.

Born gameday was March 1st. You've been at your LGS for 5 weeks? Sounds like a wild event...

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Kasonic posted:

I can't believe Mending Touch got played on a Constructed stream.
Mending Touch did disgusting things last season in the Bant Hexproof deck. Hasn't seen much play since then. I enjoy slipping just a copy or two into any green deck that wants to protect an important creature. You don't want too many, just the occasional blowout.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE
I finally did it! I finally got a ptq finish as good as my best gp finish. Now to get a t8.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

jassi007 posted:

Born gameday was March 1st. You've been at your LGS for 5 weeks? Sounds like a wild event...

Control mirrors, man.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Apparently the June FNM promo is Dissolve:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
The original looks better. :geno:

In fairness normal Dissolve is kickin' rad and a good card, but still.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Interesting that the typesetting is different. I guess the way the Theros Dissolve is set is actually pretty awkward now that I look at it. Massive gutter to the right of the rules text, but the flavour text is crunched up against the border.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jabor posted:

Interesting that the typesetting is different. I guess the way the Theros Dissolve is set is actually pretty awkward now that I look at it. Massive gutter to the right of the rules text, but the flavour text is crunched up against the border.

I think that has more to do with the promo being from Magic Online than the printed copy scanned.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Sleep of Bronze posted:

2/5 stars, balancing a few good ideas and some basic work at keeping true to the existing character's personality against a lot of bad new stuff and prose which does dodge being unreadable, but not by much.

Just wanted to mention I appreciated your summary because I like knowing what happens in the MTGO universe, but only if I can get through it in 10 minutes or less as I do not have the patience to read the ebook. It lets you appreciate the art and flavor text on many cards a lot more. Hope you do the next one as well.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

PrinnySquadron posted:

Neat. Her back is no longer broken from doing a weird t&a pose

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Shavnir posted:

I finally did it! I finally got a ptq finish as good as my best gp finish. Now to get a t8.

Just make sure you have a friend with a jam box and the theme from rocky when you make t8 for your entrance. Bonus points for wearing boxing shorts and a robe and paying someone's grandpa from NYC to yell at you and hold a bucket for you to spit in while you sideboard.

I'm not busting your balls/ovaries I just really want to do this and am going to t8 into a camera match on the 7th of never.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013

jassi007 posted:

Were they only supposed to do one on March 1st? They called last night's event a second BOTG gameday and gave out the gameday mat to the winner. I played in the one on the 1st as well at the same store.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's likely not an "official" Game Day - you probably won't get the Game Day multiplier to any Planeswalker Points earned, for example. But if they ended up with an extra playmat (perhaps because one of their planned Game Day events didn't get any players), about the only thing they can do with it is have another tournament where they can give it away as a prize.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'm torn. The finals is Sullivan vs. the guy who beat the mono-G deck...

I'm lying. Go not-Sullivan.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

PrinnySquadron posted:

I actually like the promo more.

Last time that happened was Warleader's Helix.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

morning wood posted:

Were they only supposed to do one on March 1st? They called last night's event a second BOTG gameday and gave out the gameday mat to the winner. I played in the one on the 1st as well at the same store.

Gameday is supposed to be that specific weekend. Advanced stores that get 2 sets of materials are supposed to basically run them on March 1-2.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So seems like a big rules snafu brewing on the SCG stream. Commentators are acting like not sacrificing to Desecration Demon moves straight into Declare Attackers (and it was played like that, costing the mono-B player 6 points of damage), but both players actually get priority after the DD trigger resolves.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Kevin Huang here proving that the worst player on earth can borrow the best deck, not know how to play it, and still win a giant tournament with it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Boco_T posted:

Kevin Huang here proving that the worst player on earth can borrow the best deck, not know how to play it, and still win a giant tournament with it.

I guess I'll have to borrow U/W control and go to the Somerset Open in May then! :suicide:

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Jabor posted:

So seems like a big rules snafu brewing on the SCG stream. Commentators are acting like not sacrificing to Desecration Demon moves straight into Declare Attackers (and it was played like that, costing the mono-B player 6 points of damage), but both players actually get priority after the DD trigger resolves.

Maybe I misunderstand, but if the black player controlling the demon gets to declare attackers and his opponent did not sac a creature, why does he miss 6 points of damage? The demon should be untapped and able to swing right?

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
If you had told me a year ago that this thread would be hating on Mono Black Control in standard next year, I wouldn't have believed it.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

jassi007 posted:

Maybe I misunderstand, but if the black player controlling the demon gets to declare attackers and his opponent did not sac a creature, why does he miss 6 points of damage? The demon should be untapped and able to swing right?

He had to attack Jace with his demon instead of with the mutavault.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

clamiam45 posted:

If you had told me a year ago that this thread would be hating on Mono Black Control in standard next year, I wouldn't have believed it.

People hate on the good decks, especially if they are control.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

MrBling posted:

He had to attack Jace with his demon instead of with the mutavault.

Ah, so what he missed is the opportunity to activate his mutavault. Yes he should have been able to, 116.3b The active player receives priority after a spell or ability (other than a mana ability) resolves. Lame.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013

Madmarker posted:

People hate on the good decks, especially if they are control.

Haha so true. I get plenty of eyerolls at my LGS on turn 4ish when they figure out I'm playing Esper Control. To be fair though Mono-Blue Devotion is a good deck and it pisses me off to no end so I suppose I'm guilty of this too.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

jassi007 posted:

Ah, so what he missed is the opportunity to activate his mutavault. Yes he should have been able to, 116.3b The active player receives priority after a spell or ability (other than a mana ability) resolves. Lame.

We're all assuming that he didn't miss his trigger, then go to the declare attackers step. If they moved to declare attackers, then he realized he missed the trigger, it would be too late to make Mutavault a creature.

It would also be too late to tap the demon, since a missed trigger doesn't get put on the stack until a player would receive priority, and no one gets priority in the declare attackers step until attackers have already been declared.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Brownhat posted:

We're all assuming that he didn't miss his trigger, then go to the declare attackers step. If they moved to declare attackers, then he realized he missed the trigger, it would be too late to make Mutavault a creature.

It would also be too late to tap the demon, since a missed trigger doesn't get put on the stack until a player would receive priority, and no one gets priority in the declare attackers step until attackers have already been declared.

He announced the demon trigger, then went to activate the mutavault and was told he couldn't do that.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

MrBling posted:

He announced the demon trigger, then went to activate the mutavault and was told he couldn't do that.

Wait what? That's not how stuff works. They move to Start Combat, the Demon ability goes on the stack, then the active player gets priority. If the active player passes, the non-active player gets priority. Only if the non-active player passes does the topmost object of the stack (in our case, the Demon sac ability) resolve.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

MrBling posted:

Yeah that is just flat out wrong. As long as he did not make any indication of declaring an attacker, then he was still in pre-combat and had priority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I played some guy on MODO in a constructed match playing that mono green list. If you're not prepared for it, it is just a beating.

• Locked thread