Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Niven posted:

Does anyone have any input or resources on DRZ suspension adjustment? I feel like I've heard before that they aren't quite set right from the factory, but google hasn't been too forthcoming so far. The bike is an '09 SM and I weigh about 175, I take it down the occasional dirt road but most of my riding is around town.

edit: This could be handy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_70YesH_87w

At 175lbs you're about perfect for it. I think 160 is perfect perfect, but you're not far off. You would probably do good to get the suspension settings back to stock (if they arent) and start from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axia
Nov 15, 2005

The future is now.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Anyone have suggestions for some good, vibration-resistant mirrors?

I've heard really good things about these mirrors, though I don't have them yet. They are the ones I am going with as soon as I can justify them.

http://www.doubletakemirror.com/

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Anyone know anything about the klx250sf? I'm thinking a sumo for my next bike, but the used market around here sucks rear end, and it's the only decent one I've seen so far.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
It's not bad but it's down on power compared to the WR250 / DRZ, which limits hoon potential, and is priced accordingly. For an in-city runner it's a good bike, just don't expect fully sick crossed-up power wheelies.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Anyone have any recommended tires for a DRZ S? Noticed yesterday while cleaning and lubing my chain that the rear tire has some dry rot so its time for a new set. Most likely will be 90% on road use.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I dont own a DRZ, but I'm fond of the ContiAttack SM for a general purpose sumo tyre. Although I frequently run a wet on the front, currently a goldspeed, because we get a fuckton of rain.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

They don't make the ContiAttackSM in 21/18.

You could probably do pretty well with the Shinko 705: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shinko-705-dual-sport-tires or the Metzler Karoo 3: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/metzeler-karoo-3-tires

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
The Distanzia also comes in DRZ S/E sizes, I believe. I'm not a fan of Shinkos in general but the set of 705's that came on my bike were okay for a little while.

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Anyone know anything about the klx250sf? I'm thinking a sumo for my next bike, but the used market around here sucks rear end, and it's the only decent one I've seen so far.

I rode with a guy once that had one, but put a 330cc big bore kit and low gearing on it and would shred dudes on DRZs and even myself on a Husqvarna sm610. I guess 330cc and big bore shouldn't go in the same sentence but you get the idea.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I am confused. I bought a 10mm crush washer, but it doesn't look like pictures of crush washers I've seen online. It's totally flat, not conical/tapered.

Did I get the wrong thing?

Did they ship the wrong thing?

The DRZ has two drain bolts of different sizes. Should I have 2 crush washers, one for each drain bolt?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
No, no, and yes, although the frame drain is usually fine without a new washer.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I haven't verified this other than a quick googling, but it seems like the crank case plug is 12mm and the frame plug is 10mm. So the crush washer I have (10mm) is not even the one I really need.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If you have a torch you can heat the old one until it's starting to glow and that'll re-anneal it. (I'm pretty sure that works on aluminum washers...)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Aluminum will melt before it starts to glow.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Thermal emissivity is a sneaky bugger. Aluminium just sits there looking all innocent while it's well above the 'burn nerve endings' temperature.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Aluminum will melt before it starts to glow.

Oh right, the oxide has a higher melt point than the aluminum itself.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Well I got to ride Z3n's 690SMC and can emphatically state that it's got more balls than my 625 did. I was pulling the fastest and longest wheelies on that thing that I ever have within minutes of getting on it. Ridiculous. Also completely spoiled on slipper clutches after owning the ZX10r and riding the 690 yesterday, I will completely lock up the first non-slipper bike I ride.

I will say, though, that my ZX10 feels just as hooligan-esque and wheelie-prone, and is waaaaaay faster, so I think a streetfighter is a nice compromise between sumo tendencies and practicality.

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 7, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

so I think a streetfighter is a nice compromise between sumo tendencies and practicality.

And I have ensnared another with my dark ways.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

For Sale: 690SMC

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Well I got to ride Z3n's 690SMC and can emphatically state that it's got more balls than my 625 did. I was pulling the fastest and longest wheelies on that thing that I ever have within minutes of getting on it. Ridiculous. Also completely spoiled on slipper clutches after owning the ZX10r and riding the 690 yesterday, I will completely lock up the first non-slipper bike I ride.

I will say, though, that my ZX10 feels just as hooligan-esque and wheelie-prone, and is waaaaaay faster, so I think a streetfighter is a nice compromise between sumo tendencies and practicality.

I moved from my DRZ to an FZ1 and it's been nothing but fun. I love having a bunch of power if I want it while still having a comfy bike to hop around town. It's an awesome next step while not going totally crazy with full liter bike power. Comfy seats too so my girl can actually ride and be happy instead of wedging herself on the back of the DRZ seat half on the fender.

I'll never get tired of dabbing the clutch to raise the front. The DRZ had to be massaged a bit to come up and it was always below 25mph. The first time I clutched up the FZ on a back road and felt the rear tire break loose from power instead I had the biggest smile on my face. I'm pretty glad it doesn't have 160+ hp or I'd get in some real trouble.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

For Sale: 690SMC

I need a better drug, a strong hit, MORE.

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

Baller Witness Bro posted:

I moved from my DRZ to an FZ1 and it's been nothing but fun. I love having a bunch of power if I want it while still having a comfy bike to hop around town. It's an awesome next step while not going totally crazy with full liter bike power. Comfy seats too so my girl can actually ride and be happy instead of wedging herself on the back of the DRZ seat half on the fender.

I'll never get tired of dabbing the clutch to raise the front. The DRZ had to be massaged a bit to come up and it was always below 25mph. The first time I clutched up the FZ on a back road and felt the rear tire break loose from power instead I had the biggest smile on my face. I'm pretty glad it doesn't have 160+ hp or I'd get in some real trouble.

What gen FZ1 do you have? I had a 2002 before I bought my buell 1125r and I loved it. I rode my buddies gen II FZ1 and I loving hated that thing. Sloppy brakes, unresponsive, easily overwhelmed suspension, but had slightly smoother power range and is FI instead of carbed.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Incursus posted:

What gen FZ1 do you have? I had a 2002 before I bought my buell 1125r and I loved it. I rode my buddies gen II FZ1 and I loving hated that thing. Sloppy brakes, unresponsive, easily overwhelmed suspension, but had slightly smoother power range and is FI instead of carbed.

Gen II. Dunno what the deal with his was.. I can't imagine liking the Gen I more than this one. The brakes and forks are definitely not top shelf but they're not bad. I wouldn't mind an r6 mc up front if I find one cheap but I'm not actively searching.

If he didn't have any of the mods done I bet it was very boring. An exhaust, pc3 and airbox mods make it a different bike.

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

I'm sure you could just tighten the suspension, and I would think a PC3 would make a huge difference. I do miss my FZ1 as a commuter bike though. Comfortable and fuel efficient for the most part. Well, I guess anything is better than 30 mpg on my Buell.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Unfortunately I get poo poo mileage on mine but it's so much fun I don't really mind. Haven't had the chance to take it on a trip with it yet but I'm assuming it'd do pretty decent at that aspect when I'm keeping off the gas. In town it's too tempting to hold gears out for longer than I should. It's weird coming from the DRZ where I'd be in 5th by 50mph and on this thing 2nd gear can cover 99% of my travels.

doppler
Jul 10, 2006
Motor CIty Machine Music
I tried a 2006 Husqvarna 510 SMR yesterday. Even though that particular bike was pretty beat to poo poo, still on the original rear tire after eight years and 7000 KMs, all I could think while on the bike was "YES YES YES YES YES". It definitely made up my mind, this is what I want, not a LC4 KTM or a DRZ. It'll be a pure plaything, so lack of practicality and ignition lock doesn't really concern me. So now the choice bascially boils down to a Husky 450/510 SMR or a sumo:ed KTM 525/530. Leaning towards the SMR, if I can find another one, because of the street oriented suspension. Anyone here have any experience with streeting up the suspension on a KTM EXC?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Expect rebuilds.

Streeting the suspension can be halfassed to right, but doing it 100% right requires triples and full internal work.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Incursus posted:

Sounds like some poo poo was hosed up on it or you were just pushing it way harder than it was made for, the brakes are decent on my '06, the suspension is just fine for commuting/touring, but it's not really designed to be a hardcore corner carver, the max lean angle isn't very far before you start scraping pegs; if you want to get your knee down, that's what an R1 is for. For commuting and touring, gen IIs are a great alternative to something like a VFR800 or other small touring bike.

E: gen II's also suffer a bit in the suspension from woefully underdamped forks, heavier fork oil alleviates it somewhat.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 7, 2014

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

It does feel like the Gen 1 was closer to a sport bike than gen 2. Not really a bad thing, it's just I was expecting more of a sportbike type feel from it. My next bike is going to be a Speed Triple or FZ-09 for sure though. It's right in the middle of the two, exactly how I like it.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
First ride on the DRZ with 435/cams/pilot powers. I know it's still a drz but holy poo poo

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Yerok posted:

First ride on the DRZ with 435/cams/pilot powers. I know it's still a drz but holy poo poo

Mine only has the carb/exhaust/airbox done and still eventually hit 97 with a 14t front sprocket while going slightly downhill with no wind :colbert:

e: Also, I need new tires. Bridgestone S20s or Pilot Powers? I'm thinking the former.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Apr 11, 2014

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Marxalot posted:

Mine only has the carb/exhaust/airbox done and still eventually hit 97 with a 14t front sprocket while going slightly downhill with no wind :colbert:

e: Also, I need new tires. Bridgestone S20s or Pilot Powers? I'm thinking the former.

Pilot powers (glad you're enjoying that thing!)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Marxalot posted:

DRZ? Pilot Powers all day errday

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I've always used and loved the Continental Contiforce SM tires. I thought those were the ones to get?

Think I used pilot powers on my gsx-r, though

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Pilot powers are cheaper and easy to find. Contiforce stopped selling the SM tires of old AFAIK and new ones are loving pricy for a skinny tire (cont attack SM). A pilot power rear in 160 is like 100-110 bucks. No brainer imo. I've taken pilot powers to the track and to the mountain twisties and they've never even started to let me down but I guess YMMV.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
The ContiAttack SM is a loving amazing tyre, though.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Is it 50+ dollars more amazing on a tire that's only gonna last a few thousand from riding like a dong all the time? Rear tires only lasted me like 3k miles tops on the DRZ IIRC (at least with pilot powers). They were always amazingly sticky too.

I'm a michelin fanboy though. I really, really don't like the flat bridgestone profiles in comparison to the pointier michelin profiles. Just me though as lots of people prefer the opposite.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

The Connie's are $50 more betterer, IMO.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How? I really can't picture a tire working noticeably better than the power does. It sticks everywhere, wears decent, goes well in dirt and gravel, rain is no problem. Not that it's untouchable, but it is kinda hard to improve on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Something is going on with my 2011 DRZ. Once in a while, when I downshift and blip the throttle to rev match, I hear a loud CLICK-CLACK. The downshift succeeds and the bike performs as expected otherwise.

As an experiment, while idling I blipped the throttle a few times like those Other Guys like to do so much at stop lights. If the blip is quick enough, I hear a CLICK just before the standard motor rev sound I expect to hear.

What's going on here? Is the piston missing a stroke?

• Locked thread