Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

pentyne posted:

Just a reminder of the competency of the Japanese police force, the manga Kuroko no Basket had someone so incredibly pissed off they would call in bomb threats to any event featuring the manga or author, and the police's response was to ask the author to stop showing up to places and to pull the manga from events.

You know, rather then doggedly investigate a serial criminal.

Yeah but the kid who kept calling in bomb threats to Takahashi+Hudson Soft a few years ago? He was busted in like two months flat. http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2009/02/02/bomber-tries-to-destroy-hudson-soft/1

What's the precedent for that? If the was guy was doing this for a month straight and it's a prank he gets taken down but in the other instances people mentioned here the police couldn't care less. Do you just not gently caress around with the creators of Bomberman/Adventure Island/Star Soldier or is there more to it than that? This this less proactive aspect of the police get suddenly and significantly even worse in the past six years or so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Riso posted:

Japanese men work 18 hours a day, how are they supposed to have time for housework?

drat baka gaijin, no understanding of culture etc etc
Come to think of it, has Abe said anything about increasing productivity by trying to at least discourage that practice?

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Wittgen posted:

Japan almost universally displaying post tax prices that almost always ended in zero or five was one of the great little things about it as a country. The loss makes me sad. What's next? They institute America style tipping?

Fear not, post-tax prices will end with a zero again from October 1 next year, when the consumption tax rises to 10%.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Come to think of it, has Abe said anything about increasing productivity by trying to at least discourage that practice?

The past few cabinets cabinets have encouraged fewer working hours and I think even the keidanren has made a statement about it. The problem has nothing to do with what the government says, it has everything to do with social culture. You get a lot of people that believe that's what is required to move up in the company to look "productive."

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well uh...er...okay, maybe? That's not what I really had in mind. Is it not even worth considering that husbands could help with housework?

Absolutely not. They can't be arsed to loving feed themselves a lot of the time let alone do laundry or use a vacuum.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Samurai Sanders posted:

Abe: To support women entering the labor force, let's open the door to immigrants to do housework and such

Well uh...er...okay, maybe? That's not what I really had in mind. Is it not even worth considering that husbands could help with housework?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZiKAskjPF8

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

Dr.Radical posted:

Absolutely not. They can't be arsed to loving feed themselves a lot of the time let alone do laundry or use a vacuum.

put on clothing, clean self, etc.

historically at least.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kenishi posted:

The past few cabinets cabinets have encouraged fewer working hours and I think even the keidanren has made a statement about it. The problem has nothing to do with what the government says, it has everything to do with social culture. You get a lot of people that believe that's what is required to move up in the company to look "productive."
Governments DO have some small ability to shape culture, through carrots and sticks and PSAs and so forth. Is Japan's government currently doing any of those things? Because while there are a lot of toxic things in Japanese work culture, that one really stands out to me. It honestly drove one of my friends close to suicide.

Shinobo
Dec 4, 2002
Japan's government has been especially proactive in trying to shape culture.

They could absolutely do something if they wanted to. Moral susation campaigns are like the bread and butter of ministries charged with creating benefits for society.

It's arguable how effective these campaigns have been. I don't say that as a hidden way of expressing disapproval for them, I mean that people argue about how factually effective they have been with some scholars claiming that they were greatly effective and others saying that they were not so effective. Regardless of their relative factual effectiveness, the point is that if they wanted to they absolutely could flood the airwaves with PSAs, plaster train cars with posters, and put pressure on (or provide incentives for) the keidanren and other organizations. This is not a question of ability, but rather will.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack
What were some of the previous campaigns that had their effectiveness evaluated by scholars?

Shinobo
Dec 4, 2002

Paper Mac posted:

What were some of the previous campaigns that had their effectiveness evaluated by scholars?

Campaigns about saving in the 1960s, campaigns about raising consumption during the 1950s, campaigns about encouraging domestic travel in the 1970s and 80s just to name a few.

"Molding Japanese Minds" by Sharon Garon is a good place to start if you're curious. That particular book spends half its time talking about the moral susation campaigns of the prewar period, which as you can imagine are a bit more eyebrow raising. During one period of Diet debate about the campaign to prohibit licensed prostitution one Diet member stood up in front of the the whole world and publicly declared some very interesting things about masturbation and its effect on Japanese masculinity.

Edit: Corrected my dumb spelling mistake :doh:

Shinobo fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 8, 2014

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack
Thanks for that recommendation, Shinobo, it's going on my reading list. The author's name seems to be Sheldon Garon, though, in case anyone else is looking for it.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Public smoking (major streets, trains, public spaces) went from pervasive to almost gone during my half decade in Japan when they were running lots of ads and gradually tightening rules. You can still smoke if you go waaay to the end of the train platform, but I assume that will be gone eventually. When I first arrived you could actually smoke on the train.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
In Tokyo at least, it's easier to smoke indoors than out.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Yup. It was ridiculous that I found it easier to smoke in bars and restaurants than the outdoors.

Not to mention the public smoking points in places like Shibuya are like gas chambers.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

shrike82 posted:

Yup. It was ridiculous that I found it easier to smoke in bars and restaurants than the outdoors.

Not to mention the public smoking points in places like Shibuya are like gas chambers.

Why is that ridiculous? If anything this is one thing in japan that makes sense. If people don't like smoke they can always choose to not go into those private business establishments and pick places with non-smoking hours/sections. Public spaces can't be avoided so the ban makes sense there.

My buddy has asthma and has been able to basically avoid second hand smoke for years thanks to this.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Cycling rules are very poorly adhered to but there seems to be the lack of a campaign even with crazy new rules like 'drive on the proper side of the road.'

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

hadji murad posted:

Cycling rules are very poorly adhered to but there seems to be the lack of a campaign even with crazy new rules like 'drive on the proper side of the road.'
Still, cycling in Japan sure is a lot less hazardous than basically anywhere in the US. Drivers and cyclists and pedestrians all just respect each other a bit more.

edit: wait, what does this have to do with the previous conversation?

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: wait, what does this have to do with the previous conversation?

Mixing up this thread with the LAN thread?

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy
Personally I like the campaign reminding people not to use firearms in public, as if Japan somehow had a problem with that in the first place.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Lemmi Caution posted:

Public smoking (major streets, trains, public spaces) went from pervasive to almost gone during my half decade in Japan when they were running lots of ads and gradually tightening rules. You can still smoke if you go waaay to the end of the train platform, but I assume that will be gone eventually. When I first arrived you could actually smoke on the train.

As far as I know, you can't smoke on platforms at all any more but that's a pretty recent thing. I see people smoking on the street all the time and even at the station on rare occasions (although dudes smoking at the station are almost universally old and clearly don't give a gently caress) but you're supposed to be fined for doing that. I live in a suburb of Tokyo in Chiba and those rules seem to get stricter the farther into Tokyo you get. I wouldn't be surprised if smoking rules are much more lax in Buttfuck-shi, Inaka-ken.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Reverend Cheddar posted:

Personally I like the campaign reminding people not to use firearms in public, as if Japan somehow had a problem with that in the first place.

Why do you think it's not a problem, baka gaijin?

ArchangeI fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Apr 8, 2014

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Dr.Radical posted:

As far as I know, you can't smoke on platforms at all any more but that's a pretty recent thing. I see people smoking on the street all the time and even at the station on rare occasions (although dudes smoking at the station are almost universally old and clearly don't give a gently caress) but you're supposed to be fined for doing that. I live in a suburb of Tokyo in Chiba and those rules seem to get stricter the farther into Tokyo you get. I wouldn't be surprised if smoking rules are much more lax in Buttfuck-shi, Inaka-ken.

The commuter trains here still have smoking rooms on the platforms but I noticed in Tokyo there are no smoking spots other than those in the Shinkansen stations. Kyushu is a little bit more behind the times when it comes to smoking.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Tokyo items have been trained to smoke like chimneys around convenience stores making a new annoyance on every major street.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

ArchangeI posted:

Why do you think it's not a problem, baka gaijin?

Where do you get your news about the mean Japanese streets, Aibou? :colbert:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So how is Abenomics working?

Womacks-JP-23
May 15, 2013

I honestly think it's a good start but some of the fundamental problems are so vast - they will literally take a generation or more to get under control.

Fiscal stimulus and monetary easing – I would give them both a solid B+

Structural reforms – Such a mixed bag here but there has been real and substantial progress in some areas (education and energy) while other areas haven’t really been touched at all - or went backwards.

Agriculture: B-
Healthcare: D
Energy: B
Education: A-
Government: C+
Employment: B-
Corporate governance: B
Tax: C+
Immigration: D-
Electoral reform: F

Samuelthebold
Jul 9, 2007
Astra Superstar
It's all about the wage growth. The primary goal behind the whole Abenomics program is to reduce the government's debt by stimulating wage growth, which will lead to more spending and more taxes collected.

Optimistically speaking, inflation finally seems to be happening consistently and wage growth appears to be moving into positive territory. Pessimistically speaking, however, inflation currently exceeds wage growth by a significant margin, the stock market has plateaued, and consumer confidence is decreasing.

The question being asked now is whether BOJ will expand their bond purchasing program.

I continue to convert my savings out of yen.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
You also forgot the part where sales tax went up 3% and will go up another 2% in something like a year. The wage growth has only been enough to balance out these changes really. I also believe it was mentioned (maybe in here) that there was some directive by the govt. that forced businesses to pass on the sales tax to the consumers instead of just sucking up the loses by not bumping prices. Maybe the expectation was that consumers would just get pissed and complain to their companies that they need hire salaries (ya right).

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

[quote="Womacks-JP-23" post=""428974886"[/quote"]
Electoral reform: F
[/quote]

great post. This caught my attention though. I find it insane that the same party has been in charge of the country for half a century except for like four years. How are they so strong?

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
My friend made a funny comment about that one time: "If you can't have an emperor anymore then you'll just have to elect your own."

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

punk rebel ecks posted:

great post. This caught my attention though. I find it insane that the same party has been in charge of the country for half a century except for like four years. How are they so strong?
I figured just general apathy and resistance to change, which has only weakened twice (and only temporarily) in 60 years.

edit: even though the LDP and DPJ are only almost imperceptibly different to me.

Womacks-JP-23
May 15, 2013

The consumption tax debate is a sideshow. Even if things go according to the exact best-case scenario laid out by the cabinet, the tax increases would only raise about 10 trillion in in additional revenue, compared to a fiscal deficit of 53 trillion in 2012.

Japan's deficits are so absurdly large that no conceivable tax hike could correct them.

Japan's choices are rather limited and I think you'll start seeing some real radical changes on the structural reform front in the next few years. There really are no alternative choices. The old farts are just buying their time right now but the day of reckoning is coming fast.

If the reforms fail, I would honestly recommend bailing out of Japan if you can, because I can't see a situation where Japan isn't forced to raise the consumption tax to over 15% and reduce per-capita benefits for the elderly by 20+% by 2020.

Shinobo
Dec 4, 2002

quote:

This is a very good question, but that grade is probably a little unfair. At least since 1994.

The simple answer is that there are about six different factors people usually cite as a reason, from cunning institutional usage to sheer political skill. The complex answer is that it depended on a huge host of different reasons that are the basis of very long books.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Womacks-JP-23 posted:

The consumption tax debate is a sideshow. Even if things go according to the exact best-case scenario laid out by the cabinet, the tax increases would only raise about 10 trillion in in additional revenue, compared to a fiscal deficit of 53 trillion in 2012.

Japan's deficits are so absurdly large that no conceivable tax hike could correct them.

Japan's choices are rather limited and I think you'll start seeing some real radical changes on the structural reform front in the next few years. There really are no alternative choices. The old farts are just buying their time right now but the day of reckoning is coming fast.

If the reforms fail, I would honestly recommend bailing out of Japan if you can, because I can't see a situation where Japan isn't forced to raise the consumption tax to over 15% and reduce per-capita benefits for the elderly by 20+% by 2020.

Surprised we haven't had the obligatory "but the debt is held by the Japanese people!!!" post in response to this yet.

Anyways, I find sorting the list of countries by public debt Wikipedia page by public debt as a % of GDP every few months to be interesting, certainly some ominous company to be keeping there.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

^^^All your post does is prove that argument. Greece doesn't own or issue its own currency. Zimbabwe is mismanaged to kingdom come with debt being the least of its issues.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Not to mention, last I checked, that Zimbabwe has actually been doing a lot better than it was six or seven years ago. I mean its still a mismanaged shithole but its not on the verge of civil war or anything. Things can truly get better!

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
One of the reasons might be that Zimbabwe doesn't even have their own currency anymore and is forced to have more sensible policies.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

On another topic, is there any political will in Japan at all to make immigration easier? Is the demographic situation sustainable politically or will they be forced to do something about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

On another topic, is there any political will in Japan at all to make immigration easier? Is the demographic situation sustainable politically or will they be forced to do something about it?

I had read that they want to open borders to get immigrants to clean houses so that women can enter the labour market. Not sure how that works exactly though.