Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AshB
Sep 16, 2007
The best TFS foreshadowing: Gohan thinks cells are boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I'm really not feeling the Androids. TFS' Freeza was just such an absolutely perfect villain that the 'droids are kind of a letdown in comparison. I really hope Cell delivers.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Is this the new opening to Kai, if anyone's seen it?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr78R9nz7Zg

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Yes.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Esroc posted:

I'm really not feeling the Androids. TFS' Freeza was just such an absolutely perfect villain that the 'droids are kind of a letdown in comparison. I really hope Cell delivers.

See, I'm loving the Androids in the Abridged version, it's really Android 16 that makes it work because of how goofy he is.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The Androids are pretty amazing comic relief to me. Not main villains or anything, but that's Cell's job.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

korusan posted:

Awesome.

Super Saiyan 3 looks a lot better than it did when it was originally drawn.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Good thing their youtube channel has a new video. A video that tells us to watch their latest video on another site instead. A site that alternates between not being able to load the video or desyncing and making GBS threads itself trying to play what little it can load.

Yeah, I'll be able to watch this free video sometime later and this is a minor thing to whine about. But just put the thing on youtube in the first place maybe. :shrug:

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

FallenGod posted:

Good thing their youtube channel has a new video. A video that tells us to watch their latest video on another site instead. A site that alternates between not being able to load the video or desyncing and making GBS threads itself trying to play what little it can load.

Yeah, I'll be able to watch this free video sometime later and this is a minor thing to whine about. But just put the thing on youtube in the first place maybe. :shrug:

They presumably want you to go to the site and get used to going to the site where they can actually gain revenue and not get videos taken down.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

FallenGod posted:

They also have the new site set up where I can't download the episodes as .mp4's anymore. Which, I get it. They want you to always watch them on the site to generate views and ad revenue. But I can't buy a DVD of the series so..

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?
It's on youtube now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sfm-ADB4jk

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Zorak posted:

See, I'm loving the Androids in the Abridged version, it's really Android 16 that makes it work because of how goofy he is.
Yeah I really like how they're writing them and delivering the lines. "Which one of us is? Heya I'm android 13, looook at ma trucka hat!" killed me.

I miss Gero already, too.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I just like how Android 16 started off as a Goku-killing cypher and is slowly developing a personality based on his interactions with those goofy-rear end andrioids. "After we kill Goku, we're going to do whatever we want! I mean, who's going to stop us?" "Not Goku! :downs:" "Exactly! :smug:"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zorak posted:

For me it's 17 and 18's back-and-forth. They had sort of a "creepy twins" vibe in the source material but here they are just constantly being dicks to each other as only siblings can.

"If this is about pissing off Mom and Dad, then you could just date a black guy."

"Oh my God."

"Oh, right, they're dead."

"Oh my God!"

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
So what's up with the various running jokes with Yamcha? They keep referencing him making a song and in this past episode him losing his junk? What did I miss involving all that?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Zenzirouj posted:

So what's up with the various running jokes with Yamcha? They keep referencing him making a song and in this past episode him losing his junk? What did I miss involving all that?

It's not that kind of Hung.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuyaGY5Za3w

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Zenzirouj posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyN7rPbHybk&t=307s

5:07, in case the time stamp doesn't work.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

korusan posted:

The best part about this is that I never have to see Tien hit that loving Saibaman ever again.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Terper posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyN7rPbHybk&t=307s

5:07, in case the time stamp doesn't work.

Goddamn that sixhead at 05:35

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's not that kind of Hung.

Oh right, hah. I had forgotten about the cat food thing being in the original, too.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

So how many times in dragonball Z did the announcer use "the sleeper has awakened". Cause it feels like it happened a lot.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Okay the comedic timing this episode was fantastic. The Androids got some better lines, Oolong's "I'm delicious" realization, and the awkward silence between Bulma and Trunks. I couldn't stop chuckling. :allears:

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Esroc posted:

The droids were like that in the original material, too.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I'm digging Krillin's slightly more positive characterization. I hope they don't ditch the part where he rescues that lady from Cell. "Krillin Owns Count: 1"

Also, the entire Android/Cell saga is a series of red herrings regarding the true form of the big bad right up until the Cell Games are announced.

Nf3
Oct 9, 2012
What was with the Abridged Joke this week about Yamacha hanging in there? Also Tien's shoulders getting any bigger from training joke.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Nf3 posted:

Also Tien's shoulders getting any bigger from training joke.

Tien's character design is loving ridiculous is the joke.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm enjoying this. It isn't as straight-up funny as the Freeza arc but the Android Trio are great to watch.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Nf3 posted:

What was with the Abridged Joke this week about Yamacha hanging in there? Also Tien's shoulders getting any bigger from training joke.

In Trunks' future Yamacha hangs himself. Nobody is supposed to tell Yamcha.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
For me it's a toss up between Piccolo and Kami grunting at each other and Gohan's Minute Physics style stick man cartoon explaining multi-verse theory, which is something a lot of science shows on YouTube do while trying to explain really complex concepts to laymen.

I do appreciate that TFS has been getting more subtle with their humour, but I also think it might be going over more peoples heads and thus they'll start losing people who don't find them funny anymore, or find it harder to get new veiwers since the most recent show is only kinda funny instead of "Oh God That's Great I Need To Watch More!" funny. I guess that's what the Let's Play stuff is for, though.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

They have a bad situation though, since the actual show right now is pretty much the same "some minor things are happening that will be important later but overall we're just waiting for Goku to wake up." Everyone's in hiding, basically, and I'm sure it'll pick right back up once the various factions start interacting again.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Nf3 posted:

Also Tien's shoulders getting any bigger from training joke.

Because look at his loving shoulders?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I do appreciate that TFS has been getting more subtle with their humour, but I also think it might be going over more peoples heads and thus they'll start losing people who don't find them funny anymore, or find it harder to get new veiwers since the most recent show is only kinda funny instead of "Oh God That's Great I Need To Watch More!" funny. I guess that's what the Let's Play stuff is for, though.

Honestly, ever since the Ginyu force showed up I'd say they've been making the show more and more focused toward hardcore fans of DBZ than just the dudes surfing the internet for funny videos who watched some DBZ once on Toonami. The characters are just funnier versions of their original selves for the most part. A lot of the jokes are based on small stuff from the original, and there's not really any memebait characters like Nappa or the fake Namekians anymore.

Well. Except for Popo.

But yeah I really like the Androids. They're obviously not quite on the level of abridged Frieza but like some people have said, that's what Cell's there for. The androids being flippant teens in a series full of angry musclemen and aliens was a pretty odd dichotomy in DBZ but it's played in a pretty enjoyable way here.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

WhiffleballDude posted:

A lot of the jokes are based on small stuff from the original, and there's not really any memebait characters like Nappa or the fake Namekians anymore.

Good thing, too.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I could live in a world with a meme where huge guys in anime call shotgun incorrectly.

Well, really, a picture of Gamagori doing it, mostly.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

ConanThe3rd posted:

I could live in a world with a meme where huge guys in anime call shotgun incorrectly.

Well, really, a picture of Gamagori doing it, mostly.

Gamagoori takes up every seat, so shotgun is always relevant for him.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I kinda prefer the androids as presented, not too different, just a tad modernized sass to them.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Momomo posted:

The best part about this is that I never have to see Tien hit that loving Saibaman ever again.

Aw come on, let the guy show off the only instance in DBZ where he kinda overpowered something.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

I've always wondered where that comes from, god that makes the whole Yamcha song thing even better.

Also how Android 16 plays off Android 17 is just perfect. Honestly though the episode felt a bit underwhelming but I can't blame them for that. Its like the Ginyu episodes, except this time they have the added problem of nothing really happening to work with until Piccolo meets Cell which is where I imagine things will get really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I like the Androids humor a lot. They are just funny in a different way. Freeza's main traits are basically "evil and a major dick", so he's more proactive in being funny. The Androids kind of bounce off each other in smaller ways.

• Locked thread